Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Haven't been able to keep up with the thread, but is Diablo 3 on Switch a good game for someone that primarily plays it solo?
Do I still need to log into a Blizzard account with a authenticator? or is that no longer required?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
So, in Diablo 3, I just killed the last boss, and the game is asking if I want to go to the main menu. Can I start playing the season stuff with the same character?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Has anyone played Mutant League Football yet and if so, is it good? My main concern is there may be too many RNG elements to the game, like the random environmental hazards that seem to pop up.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

hadji murad posted:

How does the discount on Bayonetta work? I’m interested in replaying 1 and getting 2. I’ve heard some way gets one of the games cheaper.

Found this on Gamespot:

Bayonetta 2 is now available on Nintendo Switch, and alongside it, Nintendo and Platinum Games have brought the original Bayonetta to the console as well. Those who pick up a physical copy of Bayonetta 2 will receive a download code for the first title, but the two games will only be sold individually on the Switch Eshop. While it appears it would cost more to buy the games digitally than at retail, getting both together will still work out to the same price, thanks to an offer from Nintendo.

On the Eshop, each game is available for a different price: Bayonetta 2 costs $50, while the original Bayonetta runs for $30. However, purchasing either one of them will entitle you to an automatic discount on the other, bringing the total cost for both games to $59.98 (before tax)--about the same price as the physical release. If you buy Bayonetta 2 first, you can nab the original for about $10; conversely, buying the first Bayonetta will drop the price of Bayonetta 2 to about $30. You also don't need to purchase both games immediately in order to receive the discount.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Heads up Canadian Goons. Memory Express has the Sandisk 400GB micro SD card on sale for 24 hours for $89 (or ~$100 shipped).
Just grabbed one to upgrade from my 128GB (about 65% full).

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Jcam posted:

In case anyone was waiting to pull the trigger on a grip/case for their Switch, Satisfye has a 50% off sale right now using the SLIMBUNDLE50 code. Finally ordered my slim case with grip.

Jumping on this as well, thanks for posting.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
For Fire Emblem: Three Houses, how much time constraint is there on the non-combat stuff? Does the game hint/tell you what you should be focusing on?
One thing I disliked about Persona 4 was I had to look up a lot of stuff online (what to do first/what to do to get better endings), and it seemed like I was fighting the clock a lot to get the story where I wanted it to (It's been a few years now, so I may be remembering incorrectly).
Also, is there a lot of dialogue I have to work through to get to the battles/fun activities?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Thanks for the replies on Fire Emblem. I might watch a few more videos on the gameplay before I make a decision either way.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Ragequit posted:

It's my first Fire Emblem, but it's been really easy to manage what I want to do. The tutorial windows are brief but easy to understand when a new mechanic is introduced. If you have online enabled, it also shows you what percentage of players did each activity on a specific day. If you roll with the largest percentages you'll check out everything appropriately and have a well rounded team.

The writing is top notch. The general dialog, quests, support interactions, and lunch/tea/etc. discussions are really good and often pretty funny. I can't recall a game that's shaped the personalities of characters so well. It's good enough to drive me to play the other two houses (Black Eagle currently) down the road to check everyone out. That's probably an extra hundred hour commitment.

Welp, I've steered you right many a time for PC games, I might jump on this one as we both have extremely similar tastes in games. I also have 3 vouchers waiting to be used (2 are reserved for Astral Chain, and Link's Awakening I think).

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
If anyone jumps on that trade in for the new batter life model, let the thread know if they allow the profile/save transfer to be done in store. I have a feeling this would be a hassle even if they allowed it.
I think you need the current memory card on the old switch, and a mem, card on the new one big enough to hold the data? It doesn't transfer all the game data as well, does it?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Found this vid that talks about the differences between old vs new Switch models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwHZ7Sz1-wY

Highlights:

Better battery life
Brighter screen
Warmer colors
Runs cooler
Joycons have some different parts (not sure if that makes any difference though - especially if it fixes the drift or not)

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 14, 2019

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I've never played the original Link's Awakening, but the opinions itt seems to vary quite a bit on it. What are them main drawbacks for the game? Is it too simple/short?
Just trying to get an understanding of the original's issues before the new game comes out.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Knobb Manwich posted:

How is Unexplored on switch?

EightFlyingCars posted:

When I played it, it still had a few bugs, including a nasty crashing bug. When I stopped playing, they hadn't figured out how to squash that, instead making the auto-save more aggressive so that a crash doesn't lose as much progress.

That was a few months ago, I can boot it up tomorrow and see if they've patched it since then.

I found it almost unplayable. The game would freeze for a second every minute or so, making battles/exploring very frustrating. Wish I could refund it (yes I know it was cheap).

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Martman posted:

Just got Human Fall Flat on sale, and upon turning it on for the first time... discovered that weird floppy doll people are apparently one of my girlfriend's top 3 fears or something. She seemed genuinely traumatized. I had no idea this was even possible!

This made me giggle :3:
On that note, I also have a weird fear - of puppets, BUT only if their eyebrows move. Like the ones in Thunderbirds. Dunno why...

I've been playing RAD the past few days - enjoying it, but can see how it can be a bit shallow. Apparently you need certain power-ups (projectile, or area damage I think?) before the second boss, or you'll get wrecked. Might be worth getting on a good sale for some.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
My wife is probably getting a Switch Lite. I was wondering - if the hard-attached controllers have the drift issue, will Nintendo replace the entire console if there's drift?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Heads up Canadian Goons, memory express has the 400 GB mem card on sale today for $75.
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX72463

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I’ve never played the original Links Awakening, so this remake might be good for me. Was the original game fairly long? Is there any replayability?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I might be getting the new version of the Switch tonight, and trading in my old one so the wife can get the Lite model.
My question is: During the transfer, all the downloaded game data (not saves) that's on my memory card - does that stay on the memory card? Or do I need to format the memory card after the transfer, and re-download all the games?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Welp, ran out to get the new switch, and am comparing screens with my old near-launch one. The new one is much warmer, meaning it has a more green/orange tint to it. The older one is more colder, and I much prefer this one. The blue's pop more in the colder screen. I was worried about this, but I think I'd only ever notice it if they were side by side.
I've seen some youtube vids showing similar comparisons, and one measured the color accuracy of both models, and the new one has a much more "accurate" color. I can't really test it game for game right now though.

I remember doing this with the PSP 1000 vs the PSP 3000, and I preferred the older screen on that one, so I returned the 3000.
But the extra battery life is what made me want to get this new switch, so I think I'll stick with it.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I was saving my last voucher for Links Awakening, but decided to hold off until it released, as I had some concerns. Sounds like my concerns are valid.
RageQuit, if you got it (I'm pretty sure you did), let me know what you think of the frame drops. You and I are gaming brothers, so if you're good with it, I'll probably be as well.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
To that Goon who was looking for Deathstate on the Canadian e.store - it's there now.
Plays really well, though some of the text is a bit small on handheld.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
One more thing to take into account - there's mods you can install for the Witcher 3 on PC (making the UI better is a very popular one, and also inventory improvements). Pretty sure that's not possible on Switch, but at least it's portable. I might pick it up for ~40% off in the spring.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Nep-Nep posted:

I bought The Touryst because the trailer really appealed to me somehow. It seems like it’ll be pretty short and I’d call it good but not great. I’d say if the trailer looks good to you check it out though maybe wait for a sale especially if you have a lot of other big games to play. I do like it though.

Thanks for posting this. I was curious about it, so I watched a gameplay vid, and it seemed like it might be short, so I'll watch for a price drop.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Invalid Validation posted:

I know RAD has been received kinda meh. Does it get better as it goes? Hankerin for a new roguelike.

I really enjoyed the first ~10 hours, but it will come to a point where the RNG can negatively affect your runs, and you'll need to restart often until you get good drops/upgrades. Sure, you can get through the first 2 of 4 stages with just your skill, but the final 2 (and boss fights) will be a hard grind without good drops/upgrades.
Some of the mutations can be super fun though.

Overall I enjoyed the game, but it's not going to get the hours BOI or Dead Cells gets from me.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How is Unravel Two as a couch coop game?

I’m not sure how the switch port is, but the wife and I quite enjoyed it in couch coop on the PS4. It’s not too challenging, has some platforming, but it’s also not very long.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Hey gang, cool goon/dude Too Shy Guy is going to be live streaming Ringfit Adventure tonight.
Should be starting around 10 PM PST (GMT -8 I think?) - about 1 hour from now.
https://www.twitch.tv/goldplatedgames

Pop on by if you want to see one of us get a sweat on.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
RE: Switcher

Bulgakov posted:

this...gives me hope

I'm so close to doing it

I got Witcher 3 on a whim during the sale, and am really enjoying it. I'm finding it hard to put down.
As mentioned before the graphics/framerate have taken a hit compared to PC (and maybe PS4/console?), but not enough to ruin my experience.

The bad:
There's a lot going on with all the systems in the game (alchemy, potions/bombs/crafting/etc.), and while not overly confusing, it's still quite a bit to learn.
The Witcher sense ability "works", but it sometimes feels a bit obtuse when scanning a larger area (like a battle field). Maybe the PC game is similar (it's been years since I've played). The poorer graphics definitely contribute to this though.
When running around, or galloping on my horse off the road, I often get blocked by some of the trees/other items in the game. This could be due to my failing boomer eyesight, but I think the framerate/draw in/graphics might be part of it as well. This might have happened to me in the PC game as well.

But I'm still loving it. The gameplay is still a blast. If you're on a budget, maybe wait for a sale again, and grab it then. Or grab a cheaper used copy of the physical.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I've had Mario and Sonic Olympics on my wishlist for awhile now (well, since it came out in Nov?). For anyone that's played it, is there much single player content in it? Or is it just repeating the same events over and over to best your high score?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Is there lots of micro management/time management in Animal Crossing? Or it is really casual?
I've never played one, but am curious.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Butterfly Valley posted:

That depends on what type of gamer you are because one camp will tell you its chill and laid back and do poo poo at your own pace and the other camp, which I'm in, finds it unduly stressful being time locked for certain events, potentially meaning you'll miss poo poo and not get another chance at it for a whole irl year, and various other markers of ingame progress that depend on you logging in every single day and doing a certain amount of repetitive actions

Thanks for all the responses to my Animal Crossing questions. This one seems more to align with how I'd feel the need to play it, and is also the way I'd enjoy it the least. I might hold off for now.

Edit:

Khanstant posted:

It's also a game where you can totally miss every dang event and thing and it's still fine. There's no penalty, unless you go out of your way to look forward to an event, you wouldn't even know it's there. And of course, time travel mercilessly as it suits you, if you're the type. I know I am and I know the game intends for us to do it if we want. They made a whole character about it, which only reinforces time-travelling as legitimate intended play option.

Then this sort of sways me towards it again.

I guess there's no deals on it really, so I can wait until launch, and see how it's doing. I have a feeling there will be a post or 2 in this thread about it.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Can anyone confirm if the new Satisfye grip pro fits into the case for the old Grip model?
For anyone that's used it, does the switch still feel 100% secure in it after a few weeks? the floating technology sounds interesting, but does it last.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
How much single player content is there in Splatoon/Splatoon 2? I’ve always steered clear of it as I assumed it was mostly multi-player only.

Edit: VVV Thanks for the info gang VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 22, 2020

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Has anyone here played the switch version of Redeemer lately? I know it was buggy at launch - just wondering if it's gotten any better.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Len posted:

I never bear Dark Souls because I got to the point where I could go fight Gwyn and then hit a wall at him and just quit.

Going around and asking for help just let to smug posts of "get good" and "he's easy just parry"

I love the Souls games but the boss fights are not my jam and actively turn me off the games for them expecting me to be better than I am

I’m pretty average at games, but when I started treating boss fights like a puzzle-dance, they became much easier. You use the first few (hundred) failed attempts to learn the bosses moves, and once you recognize what they look like, you then figure out how best to avoid each attack (range/parry/dodge). I never parry, as I suck at the timing. The dance part is getting a hit or 3 in when the boss has finished their move, or is vulnerable.
I’ve finished Dark Souls 2 and 3 that way. I even beat the ancient dragon in DS2 (took me a hella long time though).

For me, learning how to do that helped me move slightly closer to the “get gud” level.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
So I've really been noticing lately that for any games I play on Switch that I also own on a diff system (mostly PC in this case), I find the controls much worse on the switch (100% in handheld mode with the joycons attached). It's almost like they feel "loose" with gameplay control generally. I saw someone mention the Hori split pad pro, and I'm wondering if people who have one hear can comment if it feels "tighter" than using the joycons? I might jump on it if that's the case, as the joycons are starting to annoy me (and I don't even have drift yet).

edit VVV excellent, thanks! VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 24, 2020

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Bleck posted:

it's also that switch games are hard locked into having v-sync activated and as a result will have a slight input delay compared to the same game on other systems

I'm only aware of this because of Hollow Knight

Yeah, I finished Hollow Knight on my PC (with an XBOX pad), and had much more difficulty on the Switch, and got stuck at one point - put a good 20+ hours on one boss and haven't played it since :(
I REALLY noticed it last week playing Rogue Legacy - it was almost unplayable (I finished New game ++ on the PS Vita for that one).

RageQuit - I just ordered the Hori split - I'll let you know how it performs (should have it on Friday I think).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
For anyone who had Divinity Original Sin 2 on both PC and Switch - how well does the cross save work? Is it pretty seamless?