Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Heath posted:

Mega Man 11's story is cute and appropriately Saturday morning cartoon. I'm in the first cutscenes but it feels more like a prequel to the originals in terms of the plot. I don't remember any of the other ones having any Dr. Light/Dr. Wily origin story.

Apparently you get something for having played the demo?

I believe it's two energy tanks because at one point I noticed I had more than I should in my run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
It's a shame that Mario Party doesn't feature playing the full boards online with friends because that would get me to buy the game. Update the game with this change some time Nintendo!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Al Borland Corpse posted:

You have to extract the rom from the original cartridge onto your computer, then destroy the cartridge

That's just a slippery slope away from that philosophy 101 thing about teleportation that just makes a copy of you but destroys the original you!

Next thing you know we'll all be make romhacks of Ship of Theseus for SNES and debating how much of the game data we can replace before it's no longer truly the same game!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The trick to getting through a mega man well even if you're not a great player is to find the level that gels with you best, manage to beat the boss, and then learn to use that weapon you get, and beat the boss that is weak to that weapon next for an easier win. Also, buy upgrades in the shop in Mega Man 11! Even if you're getting game overs you keep your bolts and some of the upgrades are really useful, like the one that lets you move at full speed while the speed gear is on.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
If you never get married then you can spend all that money on NSO subscriptions and play Dr. Mario for life!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It’s a 30 second delay on an hour timer

Every person demanding to play Mario Party online should be forced by Nintendo to play a random online Mario party match with the other players all being ten years old. I’m telling you now your online Mario Party wish is a monkey’s paw wish cause you’d never finish a game from rage quits or people would wander off during a round as they’re losing and you’d have people purposely loving up mini games it they are on the same team as the person in the lead

I didn't say I wanted to play Mario Party with random people. I don't care about matchmaking. I want to be able to play the game online with people I know, who are on my friends list, presumably while we chat in discord or something.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Mega64 posted:

Just for that I’m gonna double the length of the Splatoon 2 map intro.

Add the Splatoon 2 map intro to Super Mario Party.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
If I were a kid today I'm pretty sure my mother would destroy me in every single game of Mario Party, but then use it as a chance to teach me to reflect on why I lost.

Next time I visit her I'm gonna have her play through Mega Man 11 because she likes that series and I think she'll be grateful for how generous the newcomer mode is.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

you definitely want joycons, nothing without motion is supported afaik

It literally makes you use the joycons.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The Switch revision is going to be the football controller but with joycon slots on the screen.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

.TakaM posted:

One of the games they added was a "Special" version of Zelda, you start out with 6 hearts, the master sword, the bigger shield, a different tunic, max rupees and a bunch of items... Also it seems like secrets in the overworld are already revealed?
Pretty neat addition I guess

That seems pretty cool, like an easier version of the game to draw people in? I wonder if they'll do more versions of games like that.

Special version of Zelda 2 with a bunch of exp and perma-candle please.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I got curious and found this article: https://www.techtimes.com/articles/41913/20150324/science-explains-why-video-games-scroll-left-to-right.htm

It uses a study to support the claim that our brains generally have a bias such that left to right movement in that sort of setting feels more natural. I'm not sure how much truth there is to the whole idea but it sounds sensible.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The original Zelda and Zelda 2 both have parts that are actually quite difficult, and both games are significantly more challenging than pretty much the entire rest of the Zelda series, except perhaps for Breath of the Wild before you get good items.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I love Zelda 2 and it might be my favourite NES game, but I think the 'it's too hard' complaint comes from it not telling you specifically where to go next, so a lot of people go the wrong way, thus making the game super hard.

I agree though that, aside from the fokkhas in the Great Palace (and the size of the palace to begin with), the game is pretty much fair.

Counterpoint: If you don't know to cheese the road to the Great Palace with the fairy spell you are in for a world of hurt.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Steve Yun posted:

I will fully own up to being unreasonable about it because everything else about the game seemed fine.

Dragon Quest XI also has a whole city of people who rhymed but it didn’t piss me off, maybe they just wrote better rhyme

The rhyming dialogue in DQ XI generally has really good meter, and also it's not the whole game.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'm not good enough with Photoshop to make a "Jon Burns the Hamburgers Again!" Smash reveal image :(

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I posted in the wrong thread so I am replacing this post with a statement about how I am looking forward to Taiko Switch in the near future.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Is Taiko still supposed to come out on the NA eshop tomorrow? Everywhere I look says it is supposed to but there isn't even a store page for it yet on the coming soon tab.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Phosphine posted:

It's Friday! What are you all playing right now?

Nothing but waiting to buy Taiko presumably at noon!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Taiko trip report: Motion controls feel quite good but not perfect to me. Most of the time when I don't get the input I wanted it is because I am bad and doing it wrong, as evidenced by that happening less often as I play more, though I've had a few times where the controls felt like they were a bit too sensitive. For someone who is really hardcore about playing Taiko for score I'd guess you're better off getting ahold of the drums but as a casual player I like joycon drumming and this is how I am gonna play the game.

Tracklist is good so far and it looks like much of the dlc that has come out since the Japanese release is already purchased and for reasonable price (one $5 pack has 5 songs, a dollar a song is a decent DLC price in my book). Kirby and Splatoon medleys are fun.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Is Taiko no Tatsujin any good without the drum controller? It sucks that they apparently are not going to produce any for the US.

I like the motion drumming. I can at least clear some of the easier Extreme charts that way and I'm not a very good taiko player. After playing a good bit I feel like the game doesn't explain the swing type differences as well as it could, since sometimes going "diagonal" I still get the wrong hit. I feel like if I imagine I'm hitting a surface that if I try to tap it with just the top end of the joycon it gets a ka (blue) hit and then a more thorough and blunt hit will get a don (red). It takes practice but overall I feel like it works well and actually am noticing improvements in accuracy as I get used to it and play better, though if you're a very serious competitive taiko player there may be an upper limit to that and you would probably prefer a drum controller.

Notable that the game also allows you to play with buttons and the touchscreen, so those are options too if you like.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Harlock posted:

Is the Taiko track list the same in English? No licensing issues?

As far as I can tell yes, even has the pop licenses

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Can someone give me a poke in the right direction in Hollow Knight:

I opened up the temple of the black egg, went in, unlocked being able to see percentage, defeated the boss and got an ending. Since then have done the white palace to completion, but then I took a break from the game for awhile and am unsure of where to go next because I don't remember any hints.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Thanks, that should do it for me!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

enojy posted:

Conveniently leaving out the part that it's referring to the sexuality of the two de facto cartoon mascots of a Nintendo game that tens of thousands of children play.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Oh poo poo I played some mighty bomb Jack and actually really liked it

I enjoy the mechanics, indie platformers have since done it better but it's fun for when it came from.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Heath posted:

Oh God it's beautiful

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/pokemon-lets-go-eevee!/user-reviews

"Dumbed down" seems to be the phrase of choice. How dare they make this literal children's game easy

This is a goldmine:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I did some google searching with quotes and apparently that's a rewrite of an anti-feminist rant on a league of legends forum, so the gamefreak person is just being funny presumably, it's still good though.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The systems of let's go being a little simpler were actually a selling point for me. For the more involved fans I do hope that the next mainline thing they promised would be on Switch is more involved though.

Still waiting on my package but excited to throw the goofy pokeball controller at pidgeys tonight.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It was even better because it healed status effects.

Also oh poo poo guys I just got home opened my new Pokeball plus and plugged it in and it played the Pokemon center jingle

I had no idea that it also comes with a Mew inside it (you can access it via Mystery Gift). It's a cute little toy and I'm glad I decided to get the thing.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

bowmore posted:

no motion controls required in hand held mode, it’s the best way to play anyway

I've been exclusively playing with the pokeball controller and I think that's the way I'll keep on but if I didn't have that I'd probably agree and stick to handheld.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Another thing that is bad about not supporting the controller is this scenario:

You are playing the game docked and end a session by sleeping the console. You've decided to play something else, so you pick up your pro controller and wake the system. Since the game is still the active app and it does not recognize the pro controller, you can't use the home button to get to the menu to close the game/open something else. Mario Party does this nonsense too, but it is compounded with pokemon let's go if you are using the pokeball controller since that doesn't have a home button, meaning you must detach the joycons or undock your switch just to play a different game. :psyduck:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Looper posted:

have you considered pushing home before putting the system to sleep or are you starring in an infomercial

I'm starring in an infomercial where sometimes I think my next session is going to be the same game, and then it is not, and I am minorly inconvenienced in a way that is not a big deal, but it's certainly not unfair to say that if I can wake the system with an incompatible controller for the game that is running, then I should be able to somehow get to the home menu from there.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I wasn't going to buy Smash because I wasn't impressed with the Wii U version's single player content but then that Direct that showed the single player content made it look great and now I am hype for my preload to unlock. Looking forward to walking off edges because I lost track of which character I was (this is a me problem, not a smash problem)

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

The Lobster posted:

What are you paying her?

It's not cheating if you pay to win!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

jokes posted:

The Switch is great. It's a great travel companion (if only Netflix would pop in already ugh), it has Pokémon and Diablo and Mario and Zelda! I'm real happy with my Switch!

I severely regret my PS4 though. Those load times are atrocious, especially when you just sit there for 2 minutes waiting for a black screen. PC and Switch master combo.

I love my ps4. I have to say that unrelated to that one of the things I love about the Switch is that I finally have a handheld where I can play indie games that generally feel like just as good versions. On Vita a lot of indie games I ended up just playing on PS4 because of frame rate differences and such. I'm sure Switch has exceptions to what I'm saying here but it's nice feeling like I can just play Isaac or Necrodancer or Gungeon and feel like I'm still having a great experience overall.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Smash is most likely going to be midnight tomorrow right? It's sitting on my Switch calling to me.

It's a first party game and easily their most anticipated title in awhile so I would say it is far, far more likely to be midnight than not. Super Mario Party released at midnight, after all!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

jokes posted:

I don't see the appeal to playing Smash. It just seems needlessly boring and tedious unless you're playing with at least 3 friends of somewhat similar skill level. I liked it when I was 12, but it's never been good on its own.

Friendship ended with Smash, now Diablo is best Nintendo friend.

You can make Isabelle punch Ganon

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Actually good point we have like 80 links why no Ganon proper :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
My last minute prediction is Metroid Crime. It's an AU where Samus is a space detective and solves murders. It's always Ridley.