Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m sure there’s a massive audience for this and that it’s a cool/smart move but the screen being even smaller is like. yuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Boy, Luigi’s Mansion 3 sure is fun!

*gets to the final phase of the pianist boss*

gently caress this game and everyone associated with this game forever

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ahh, getting onto Big Boo’s Balcony, my old nemesis

tfw you watch every video about this on YouTube and copy them exactly yet you either do the dive animation or just bounce off the wall

I’m goin crazy over here!!!!!!

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 18, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jesus I have 104 stars already. That just kind of happened - I was playing and then my friend did a large “get 70 stars and finish the game in one go” stream so I watched that and chatted at the same time. This is already the most stars I’ve ever had on the original N64 version (got em all on DS).

Other than 100 coins poo poo and the red coins in the last Bowser level all I have left to do is that one loving wing cap red coins bit opposite the Rainbow Road entrance. God I hate it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Volte posted:

I'm doing the Mario 64 courses systematically, getting all the stars (including 100 coins, usually simultaneously with the red coin star) in each one, roughly in sequence. Currently up to 45 stars and just starting Hazy Maze Cave. I suddenly remembered that getting 100 coins in Hazy Maze Cave was my 120th star in my first 100% playthrough.

I just did this star and it fuckin sucks

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still blowing my mind that Bowser has new dialogue when you complete 64 with all the stars that I NEVER knew about until today

Sunshine is way better than I remembered despite some stuff I’m not really into. Too much standing still and aiming for a series largely about the joy of movement, the news ticker is really annoying and intrusive and there had to be a better way to give you key info, etc. But the movement is really nice and having a free camera sideways is such a step up from 64. Somersaults are swifter and wall jumps are easier and the hover feature is utilised beautifully. Plus this 1080 version looks gorgeous.

Pachinko mission can eat my rear end though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

Also, and I don't know if it's unique to Sunshine or I notice it more there, Mario just loves falling off platform edges. Numerous times I land on a platform, he does stop his descent for half a second but momentum makes him trip and fall regardless.

Went back and found this to say that YEP I agree. Mario is obsessed with sliding off platforms in this game

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I went into Sunshine thinking I wouldn’t try and get everything then I did a few shines and blue coins and thought “well maybe!!!!” and then I remembered all the tedious poo poo like blue birds that take about 5 minutes to get back to the area you found them on after you hit them once and now it’s like hm ok maybe not actually

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Suggesting that any level besides Tiny-Huge Island is the worst smh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tiny-Huge Island has such a good concept but the actual layout/design is so awful and just means you’re constantly falling down no matter what size you are. It’s definitely up with Hazy-Maze Cave as one of my least favourite levels (best are Tick Tock Clock, Whomp’s Fortress, and Lethal Lava Land, imo)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bownsgamepics/status/1307624229118988288?s=21

what the gently caress

edit:

https://twitter.com/bownsgamepics/status/1307625497904295936?s=21

AAAAHHHHHH

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 20, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Welp, anyway, my 6 year old son is now determined to get all of the stars in all 3 SM3DAS. He's actually fairly good at games (he can beat BOTW on his own now, it's insane).

Best let him know about the lilypad bit now before he gets too far in.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bownsgamepics/status/1307702711513567232?s=21

So much of my time spent playing this game is spent questioning so many decisions the developers made

Also Shifting Sand Land has great design but also probably the highest amount of bullshit stars in any stage.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Mario 64 has plenty of bullshit stars too, we just overlook them because the game was the first of its kind at the time.

Mario 64 DOES have some bullshit stars, yes, but trust me that having just gone from 100%ing that game and immediately jumping into Sunshine....they are so much worse and so much more plentiful.

I’m actually STILL on Yoshi’s Fruit Adventure. That shine really is so many of the game’s issues in miniature. It’s horrendous. You could write a full-length essay on the amount of design decisions that go into making it completely awful.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oval office poo poo watermelon mission

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s genuinely one of the most shocking things I’ve ever seen

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I meant Gelato Beach shine 8 but you can see me complaining about Ricco Harbor shine 8 earlier

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

I just found the leaf level of earlier mention. gently caress this poo poo. And the tedious ship rides to the pipe need redone if you game over :shepicide:

I could get 119 shines and I still won’t bother going back and trying to do this that’s how much it fuckin sucks

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought the rollercoaster balloons one was going to be a horrible nightmare but I did it on my third try. Went 18-19-20 on the three tries. Thank god.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve got 100% on the first 4 Sunshine stages including the loving blue birds and everything

I guess I hate myself

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Ok thanks. Already submitted a ticked.

Since I am guessing I'll be without controller for a bit, I guess this would be a good time to get a pro controller. Are there any goon recommended 3rd party ones or are people pretty attached to the official one?

I have no idea if it's actually good but the reviews on this one are very positive. Anyone tried it? It's 40 bux less than the Nintendo one which is sounds much better than $70 right now.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Con...00674293&sr=8-3

The official pro controller is sick. But I would never buy a third-party controller so take my opinion with a grain of salt

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

Quoting this because the controller is great. Its replaced the 360 controller as my go to controller on PC as well. I wouldn't mind if it were slightly larger but it's still pretty great as-is.

I dunno I don’t like how it looks and the left analogue stick is in the wrong place

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

And yeah, my 6 year old nephew really wanted these and I said I would get them for him so it's pretty obnoxious you twit

Did you tell him you worked at Nintendo?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Super Mario Sunshine still finding new ways to surprise me 18 years later, but not in a good way, like you want

https://twitter.com/bownsgamepics/status/1308225105672069121?s=21

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bownsgamepics/status/1308417035693682692?s=21

love this hosed broken game

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was not expecting to find Galaxy the worst of the 3 games but here we are.

Sunshine may have the most ridiculously cruel and lovely mission designs but the controls are so fluid and good and these feel like a step back. I’m also not a fan of the several smaller areas over one large open area design, and the constant perspective change feels really disorientating to me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Preferably jump onto actual solid ground to save yourself

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
These “it’s the game’s fault I died” posts will never get old

There are lots of times where you can die where it actually would be the game’s fault but most people are just posting examples of them jumping too early and poo poo

e: actually I just rewatched the last one and realised I misunderstood what the actual issue was, but most of the others!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A couple Mario fails

https://twitter.com/bownsgamepics/status/1308678022577360897?s=21
https://twitter.com/bownsgamepics/status/1308552067649159168?s=21

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s gonna be funny when people (rightfully) complaining about certain issues in 64 and Sunshine get to Galaxy and realise these are just as glaring

Camera control is still bad. Not getting all the coins in an area in time still kills you. You are constantly having to make leaps of faith because you’re not pointing in the direction when you need to.

Plus the added bonus of the analogue stick frequently bugging out and having you run in a small circle instead of forward because the game can’t handle its own core concept

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

I sat out every Nintendo console between the SNES and the Switch. A week into SM3DAS, I believe I've become what's known as a Sunshine Apologist

I think Sunshine is better than Galaxy despite all the bullshit and I’m sure that’s gonna be considered a scorching hot take but it’s just how I feel ok :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Switch's portability is like ROB.

New thread title please

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Luigi’s Purple Coins in Galaxy is more bullshit than the lilypad challenge in Sunshine

there I said it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

they are the exact same as mario's with no changes. the only levels that i found harder as luigi were the cosmic race ones

Nah there is an actual purple coin challenge when you’re playing as Mario called “Luigi’s Purple Coins”, it’s the purple coin comet for Toy Time Galaxy and I got game over three times before I finally did it lmao

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mario Galaxy’s music makes me the most sad I’ve ever been that the Pro Controller doesn’t have a 35mm input. I want that poo poo inside of my ears while I play!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“mad about Mario 64” is the best gimmick and I hope these posts continue for a long time

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

look at this level and tell me there’s a god

It’s easier than it looks. Basic timing stuff.

The boat section sucks rear end though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A Short Hike was so lovely

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Galaxy does that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s me, I’m the goon who’s bad at SMB35

I also don’t really get what’s happening. How do you “attack” other players?