Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Takoluka posted:

your friend broke his joycons while loving around inside them and blamed it on the joycons, hth

re-pair, not repair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The Kins posted:

I wouldn't count on it:
Granted, more cosmetic theme events like Splatoween are entirely possible throughout this last run (the final one will almost certainly be a big event), but I don't think they're going to keep pushing the finishing line back forever.

For a game that essentially rotates levels and doesn't let you pick them, it's possible to have too many levels... i loved the original rotation when the game releaesd, now there are a ton I don't really care for that you're stuck with for 2 hours

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I can't see a revision to the Switch hardware being anymore than a better screen, better battery life, and maybe bigger internal storage.

There are too many accessories that fit the exact size of the switch, including the Dock that they sell separately and Labo that is built for the exact screen size.

Couldn't you imagine the confusing with two sets of accessories for the different styles of the Switch?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Weedle posted:

The thing is that there isn’t a better chip for them to upgrade to; the Tegra platform is entirely focused on automotive applications now. A hypothetical Switch successor will likely have to move to an entirely different SoC.

It's quite clear that the Switch is never going to catch up enough to get 3rd Party multiplatform games, and I am completely happy with the graphics on the Switch right now.

Can we just get a 10 year lifecycle out of the thing? I don't want some Switch 2 in four years that is going to run on a different chipset and not support backward compatibility and go through the console lifecycle all over again.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

loquacius posted:

because I'm going to a family reunion this weekend and I'm so jazzed to play Mario Party with my cousins that I finally bought a second Pro controller so 4 people can play if we turn the joycons sideways

I have some bad news for you...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

loquacius posted:

wait what, like, you actually straight-up cannot play the game with a pro controller :confused: why exactly???

well poo poo, thanks for the heads-up

A vast majority of the mini games use motion control that does not make sense to us the pro controller for

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I abused the hell out of rewind mode on the Switch and I miss it in MM11

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Huxley posted:

Is Mario Party appropriate for a kid who can't read fast yet? I've never played one.

I play Mario Party with my 4 year old daughter and she seems to understand what's going on for the most part and can't read... but I do read stuff out loud to her.

I can't wait to play some Super Mario Party tonight with her! I kind of want to get her the pink splatoon Joycon so she has her own controller.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Barudak posted:

It is every time you boot up the game and everytime you change modes after they swap maps.

It basically destroyed my will to play the game in a couple of days, and since it stalls you from singleplayer as well I lost interest in that too.

I got the absolute worst of it the other day.

I saw some Halloween thing was announced, so I wanted to log in and get my Super Sea Snails from the Splatfest before it went way. I loaded the game fresh, got into it, was told I needed an update to connect. Manually force the download, install the update, start up fresh again. Then am hit with Splatfest Results that I already know, all the new weapons added, the usually game update about checking online for details, and all map rotations.

I felt like it took me 10 minutes just to collect my Super Sea Snails.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I've decided not to get Super Mario Party because you cannot play as Bowsette

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I did Mario Kart 8 Deluxe party chat the other night, and it was just a bunch of people going "So, uh... who's gonna get Smash. Yeah, can you believe X is in it? It's going to be sweet" Or "Paying $20 for online is so lame when it used to be free"

These are not my people....

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My first experience with the online Mario Party mode was one person didn't do anything by the 3rd game, in the 4th game it froze and said one person dropped out before restarting the game, and it looks like that person was replaced with a bot.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kly posted:

theres no option for handicaps in super mario party as far as i could see which is a pretty big bummer if youre playing with young kids.

Maybe not destroy your young kids in Mario Party every single game and let them win once and a while.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The Bloop posted:

Holy poo poo I had to delete like a hundred images after playing chicken horse with n00bs

The home button joycon is somehow even WORSE

It’s a debate between giving my daughter the controller with the share button but no letters on the butttons, or the other that has the letters and the home button

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I painstakingly beat The Messenger last night. I clocked in at 15 hours, which right at where Main + Extras is on HowLongToBeat.

Man... Really good game when it was just straight forward Ninja Gaiden style gameplay. Then it switched to the Metroidvania and got very boring. Back tracking through the levels that had zero difficulty was not fun. But the new levels you eventually unlocked were fun going through them one time.

There is zero difficulty in this game. The enemies all take one hit to defeat, except for that one that takes 3 hits (which can be defeated with one charged hit). And the variety in enemies is basically limited to like a dozen that just repeat. The game is so easy it gets to the point where you can just rush through it, take damage, you get to a save point and if you die whatever, save points are so close it doesn't matter. I had so much of that currency left that it didn't matter that the dude followed me around and took the new currency. I think I ended the game with 5,000 of it banked up with nothing to spend it on.

I was hyped for it, but have to say I do not recommend it. I beat it because I have OCD for beating games I have purchased. But I even gave up on getting those hidden green ninja icon things when I read how lame the reward was. I think by the the point you actually would get it the game would be over anywhere, and why would you want to replay this game at all once you beat it is beyond me. The final boss was a joke and beat them in my 2nd or 3rd attempt.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

T-Square posted:

So how do the multi-Switch tablet mini games in Super Mario Party? I'm assuming both Switches need a copy of the game?

Posted earlier, but relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hETCPgzeOtM

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

American McGay posted:

What? It's a literal picture. You don't even have to look down at your controller and read any labels/colors.

To be fair here... SMP switches a ton with how you hold the controller. I'll often look over and see my 4 year old holding the controller the wrong way after they switch play styles. Now yeah, she is 4 years old and will learn it over time, but it's not exactly intuitive like it is for any other controller. We generally have no issues when playing games in Mario Party Top 100 because you just hold the controller the same way the whole time.

But as a gaming dad, I consider it a win that she wanted to play a few mini games this morning before we left for pre-school/work.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Inferior Third Season posted:

The first level literally forces you to do all of the moves, and there aren't that many combinations of buttons on an NES controller, so it takes about thirty seconds to trial-and-error your way to figuring out all the controls. If I was going to write a textbook on game design, this would be one of my primary examples of a good tutorial.

Mega Man X would like a word with you...

Anyway, speaking of Mega Man, having some regrets over buying Mega Man 11. Not necessarily due to the game itself, because it's great, it's just really short for the price. The double gear system practically feels like a cheat mode though.

I get it, MM11 is probably a game I'll come back to and play several more times over the years, but it feels like I paid way too much for a 4 hour game. Even though I think I paid $32 with my prime discount, I can't help but feel like for $15 you could get MM Legacy Collection 1 and 2, or the X collection, and have more hours of fun for the same amount of money.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

WHY BONER NOW posted:

For what its worth they have a bundle now, all 4 legacy collections and mm11 for $60. That's a pretty good deal but like a sucker I already bought all the legacy collections and mm11 :mad:

whoa whoa whoa... seriously? Son of a bitch, I would have bought that in a heartbeat. Is that on the eShop?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1050122107781148672

the hell am I even reading...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I have searched the eShop, and that bundle is either not in my region or hidden deep within the eShop.

All I can do is buy Mega Man 11 for $30

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Weedle posted:

Here’s the complete Zelda 1 manual if anyone wants it. Really wish the manuals were readable in the game like on 3DS.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clv/manuals/en/pdf/CLV-P-NAANE.pdf

I completely forgot how much the instruction manual tells you. Much more than many modern games where you have to look this poo poo up online.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Zas posted:

remember how the old virtual console had the dang instruction books? that would've been nice

Lets be honest... is it actually convenient to view these PDFs on a gaming console? It's much easier to view them on your phones.

This poo poo should be accessible from the Nintendo Online app, though

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I just realized that in Mega Man 11 you can customize the controls and add a Turbo/Burst shot button. Neat

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I think the most fun part of Super Mario Party for my 4 year old daughter has been the actual river rafting part of the co-op mode.

Is there anything else like that on the system (or any system) for that age level? I know about Overcooked and Snipper Clips, but that's clearly too difficult at her age. Like working together to accomplish some basic task

I feel like I need to get an old XBox 360 and Kinect for her with some of those early games where you move around. She's probably like that

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Weedle posted:

Says $100 for me.

Still seems like a great deal. If you need some Joy-Cons you might as well grab Super Mario Party for $20.

Unless you go to Best Buy, it's hard to find joycons for $80. I've seen the Red/Blue ones his $65 frequently enough

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Silver Falcon posted:

Once you do the Champion's Ballad, they regenerate so fast that you can pretty much just use them willy nilly. Even if you don't have that, just go find a cliff to jump up or some monster to fry with that last charge?

It's just such a non problem. Letting it ruin the game for you is just. :psyduck:

I agree that it's a non problem... but I was done with this game when I finished the Championship Ballad. I unlocked the motorcycle and rode it around for 30 minutes, then I haven't touched the game since.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Did Nintendo make changes to the Joy Cons since the system launched?

I just got my new ones for Mario Party, my two observations about them so far.

1) When you reorder the joycons, they pair instantly when hitting the ZL/ZR buttons. My original Joycons always had a notable delay
2) The Joy-Con Straps actually easily slide into each other and lock/unlock easily. My original joycons always had a problem where it was hard as hell to unlatch.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What can you do with Starlink if you have the physical version with no ship toys? I’d love to rent this game before I buy, or just pick up used a year from now

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

katkillad2 posted:

I did exactly this technically, I just put the game in and when it asked to scan stuff in I hit the skip button and had all my stuff digitally in the inventory. Someone on the last page was complaining about things not being in their inventory though which sounds weird to me. I guess maybe if you scan things in rather than skip that initial prompt they aren't there until they are scanned in? Supposedly after a week you have to re-scan things in or they disappear, but I had no issue with that since I beat the game after about 15 hours. ( The 20 hour estimate to completion I saw thrown around seems pretty generous. )

That being said, I don't think Gamefly or anyone is going to offer to rent it. If you buy a lose copy on ebay it was probably stolen, or the rare chance someone really just wanted the Starfox toy.

Buying physical kind of blew up in my face. I just resell all of my games when I am finished with them to help justify costs. Sold mine on ebay, post office wanted $30 loving dollars to ship the thing in the box I had that it fit in. Instead they stuffed it in a flat rate box without packaging material, so it getting to the person I sold it to undamaged is probably unlikely. TLDR, by the end of fees/cost to ship and potential refund it would have just been better to buy digital or throw the toys away and sell the game by itself.

"Large chest ahead."

"Try using both hands."

That’s cool and all. But that doesn’t answer my question with what you can do with the physical game without the toys at all. My library will probably get this at some point and I’d like to check it out for free. But sometimes they are idiots and don’t include all the stuff that comes with it. Like we have that Animal Crossing Wii U game, but no Amiibo

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Mak0rz posted:

This is only my second Splatfest but I just had a match against my own team. Is that normal? :confused:

Yes, that’s normal

And oh poo poo, there is a splatfest going on right now?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Startyde posted:

Tanks, that's smash bucks. :rip: prime preorder discounts :(

That's why I pre-ordered a bunch of stuff before it ended. I'll be getting $12 off Metroid Prime 4 whenever it comes out

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

.TakaM posted:

Gamefreak has made comment about how BOTW has inspired them to shake up the series and I hope that turns out to be the case, I would love Pokemon to go in a more open world direction.

I don't know if I like this for 2D top down games. Link Between Worlds sort of did this. You could rent weapons and essentially do all the overworld content before you even touched a dungeon. And that's exactly what I ended up doing... I cleared the entire overworld of finding all the extra stuff, and while it was neat, it totally took away all of the aspects of running into a area you can't progress, needing to find the right tool, and going back. Probably eliminated all backtracking, but not sure if it made the game more enjoyable

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
A couple of odd tidbits from the Nintendo Financial Results Briefing

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/181031_2e.pdf

-More than half of all people that bought Nintendo Online bought an annual membership, which exceeded expectations
-Mario Tennis Aces sold an insane amount of units in the first 17 weeks compared to previous titles for Wii/3DS/WiiU
-Super Mario Party sold 1.5M units globally, and is boosting Joycon sales.
-The NES and SNES classics have sold 10 Million units combined.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

empathe posted:

What did RDR2 cost to develop versus Dragalia Lost, though?

Anyway, the real money for Red Dead comes with the online microtransactions...

Grand Theft Auto 5 made $800M on its first day, but had cost $400M in advertising and development costs.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Starlink is a doorbuster deal at Target this year for Black Friday

Isn't the digital version still a better deal if you want all the ships and weapons?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Someone on Reddit cut the smash footage over the Infinity War trailer and it was amazing. They also did it like 5 hours after the Direct

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9tcbgp/super_smash_bros_infinity_war/

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

GenericGirlName posted:

Re:jackbox

for anyone who wants to know, Gene (the computer controlled 4th player from party pack 4's "survive the internet") is also in party pack 5 and will join as #4 in the rap robot battle if needed. He's... Not great at rapping. Long live Gene.

Gene joins in on some other games as well if you have 3 players. It's equally bad for the R&D Game

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This appears to be coming to the US now

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1060547550854426625

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I got Mario Party for $48 and my Joy Cons for $62. So I paid a $10 premium to get the game early I guess.

That's a steal if you still have Gamers Club Unlocked though