Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
You die a lot and you learn from your deaths. The difference is that death isn't a "mission failed" scenario; you don't lose progress or reload a save. You can use death to your advantage, for example to rush an item, grab it, and die on purpose. Early on you may feel like you're losing progress when you lose the souls from a boss fight or whatever, but ultimately the number of souls you'll lose is a pittance and it'll never truly hinder you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

CrRoMa posted:

I took a long weekend off to play Diablo 3 at release and I'm kinda bemused why folk ragged on it so much :shrug: it was fun then and its more fun since
Did you get to Inferno difficulty back then? The balance was completely hosed to the point of being almost unplayable, and if you did manage to slog through it, you probably still weren't going to find any loot worth a poo poo because everything was balanced around the auction house...and even then, most of the gear that could be considered good was still out of the price range of most casual players. I blew a whole summer on that game and never found a single drop that was better than whatever cheap poo poo from the auction house I was already using. The prospect of potentially finding a $500 item also hosed with the psychology of the game loop and probably kept a lot of people addicted when otherwise they would have quit in frustration after a few days.

There's a reason they dumped this guy and basically rebuilt the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv-hjAJNlUg&t=42s

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Path of Exile is amazing but sadly it's Windows-only and always will be barring some kind of miracle of technology. I'm still pumped for Diablo 3 because a hand-held hack and slash is just what the doctor ordered, and the Switch version of Titan Quest sucks pretty bad.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Siets posted:

People (myself included) have REALLY bad memories of making it all the way to Act 2 Inferno difficulty, only to hit an absolutely devastating brick wall of difficulty with those drat bees and their one-shot stingers they shot out. It quickly became apparent that the only way to progress beyond that was to pony up real money on the RMAH for upgrades. The loot algorithm simply wasn’t tuned for the average player to get upgrades over time, rather it was tuned to create a balanced economy of item power on the auction house.

tl;dr - gently caress those inferno bees :argh: and gently caress that RMAH :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SqbK2JCPLE

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The switch is a different animal than the 3ds. People aren’t clambering to play a grainy rear end game on a slightly larger screen. People want a Netflix machine that can conceivably play third party aaa titles with various effects unremoved and they want 4-5 hours battery.
I agree, give me a battery-powered PS4 Pro

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Lack of support for Pro controller is why I'm waiting on Mario Party until I have more joycons, since I really can't justify $180 CAD for a party game that I'll play once in awhile.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Odyssey's motion controls are kind of finnicky though, especially the ones where you twirl your hat in a big circle, and the one where your hat goes along the ground in front of you. Normally I don't care but there are enough timed puzzles that it can become frustrating when a misfired motion gesture costs you a run at a puzzle - some of the music note ones are especially brutal for that.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Ignite Memories posted:

I'm sorry, did i mention croaking in the distance? Or some other audiovisual cue in this completely empty room?

No

you can assume fault all you want but the penalty for me looking away for a matter of seconds was hours of horrendous game experience. That's bad design
It's not possible to lose progress in Dark Souls, and if you get cursed it's your own fault

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
On my first playthrough my weapon broke as soon as I got to the middle bonfire in Blighttown and I hadn't bought anything to repair with. I had to run back up through upper Blighttown, up through the Depths, and back to Firelink with no usable weapon. Now that was a lesson learned.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Ignite Memories posted:

Yo, I was just trying to warn the fucker. Let's backtrack a moment and look at what just happened.

"Yeah, enemies don't really roam around in Dark Souls so unless you're currently in the middle of a fight you can just leave the game running and it'll be fine."

"I did exactly this and was grievously punished"
You stopped in an area you hadn't cleared out. Stop in a room that you've already explored and you'll be fine, because it's almost always true that enemies don't randomly roam from one room to the next. But they might roam around within an area or become aggroed from out of sight, and they will chase you into another room.

Ignite Memories posted:

"you shouldn't have dressed like you wanted to get cursed you loving slut"
:whitewater:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Macaluso posted:

Dark Souls sounds like a miserable experience and anytime people come in to defend it they somehow make it sound even worse, I'll stick to accidently dashing diagonally into spikes in Celeste thank you very much
It's not so much about defending it as it is about correcting people who keep saying weird incorrect stuff about it, like "enemies roam around and kill you when you least expect it". It's one thing to not like Dark Souls because you've played it and don't like the gameplay loop, but it's another to make up stuff to convince other people not to even try it because your ego is too fragile to admit that you made a rookie mistake.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Is the eShop going real slow for anyone else? It's going to take 19 hours to download Diablo apparently which completely ruins my plans for tonight :argh: I can concurrently run a speed test which shows full speed so it's not my internet specifically.

edit: 21 hours :sigh:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The story of Diablo 3 is stupid but it's not stupider than your average video game story. Its Saturday-morning-cartoon "mua-ha-ha-ha" type villains are also grating to anyone who enjoyed Diablo 2's "grimdark" aesthetic but if you're new to Diablo or don't really care that much, it's a non issue. If you can stomach the story in something like God of War (the old ones, I've never played the new one), Diablo 3 is hardly different. Also, because you don't have to replay the story four times in a row per character anymore, it will definitely not be as unbearable as some people are making it out to be. I might even play through the story mode for nostalgia.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Is it normal for the Switch to report 500kbps Wi-Fi speeds? My other Wi-Fi devices give me full speed and the Switch couldn't be closer to the router without touching it. My Diablo download has been going for 4 hours now and it is 12% done. Only 38 more to go (it started at 24). Normally I'd think it's broken but I see a lot of other people online saying the same thing.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Went out and bought a $15 LAN adapter and now Diablo will be done in 2h21 instead of 38h. Still a fraction of what it should be, but at least I'll be able to play it tonight.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

GreatGreen posted:

Will any old LAN adapter work or do you need an OFFICIALLY LICENSED BY NINTENDO™® LAN adapter?
It was just the 'Biogenik' brand which I think is the EBGames store brand or affiliated somehow. I can't guarantee that I wouldn't get better speeds with an official adapter (or even a more expensive name brand one) but it seems to work anyway.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I do both physical and digital depending on the size of the game, the amount I'll replay it, whether I care about the ability to play it on a different Switch (e.g. take it to a party), and whether it's a "project" game that you focus on for a particular period of time until you've finished it vs. a game that you just fire up randomly on a whim sometimes.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My only complaint about couch co-op Diablo on the Switch is the same as my complaint about the other console versions - you have to pause the game to access each individual player's menus which is a real inertia-killer. Something between the "fast equip" mechanic and the full-fledged subscreen would be nice, like a condensed UI that hovers on top of your character to see item details, switch skills and runes, etc. Split-screen would have been nice too.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Your Computer posted:

Diablo 3 is a lot quicker now, huh. Or is that because I made a seasonal character? I'm constantly running around at supersonic speed and getting 2x damage orbs and stuff (none of which I remember from back when I last played it) and despite playing on Hard even the bosses die in seconds.

Maybe I'm just not remembering well (it has been a long time since I played it) but I feel like I remember it being slower and more deliberate, less spammy? Maybe that's what people hated so much about it?
Yeah, they redesigned the core game mechanics around actual fun things like doing tons of damage and moving really fast, and actually feeling stronger as you level up instead of insanely weaker. By the time you got to mid-game Inferno (final difficulty) at launch, everything was so out of balance that you pretty much had to kite individual enemies around or even bail on particular affix combos that were a guaranteed death sentence. You'd have to work on enemies for minutes at a time and they'd one-shot you easily without top-tier auction house gear.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

b_d posted:

how long have you been freely able to remove gems in d3? didn't you used to have to either destroy the item to get the gems back or destroy the gems to free the sockets? this is much better, I can just keep taking out the ruby in my leorics crowns and mushing it into new ones I get to make it bigger.
That's a common socketing mechanic in games like this but it has always been possible to desocket gems for a fee (or during salvage) in Diablo 3.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I got Titan Quest for Switch and it's not terrible (I've heard otherwise, but I didn't have any specific problems) but it's literally not different from the PC version in any way. The control scheme is awkward and the interface hasn't been consolified even a little bit. Unless you desperately need it on the go, just play the PC version.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Bought Dark Souls from the eShop in preparation for a long flight next week and wow, the complaints about the sound quality really aren't exaggerated. It sounds like a 64kbps MP3. It's not a dealbreaker for me, but I hope they patch it at some point.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think Diablo II is particularly more "spooky" aesthetically, but low resolution sprite animation adds a certain uncanny quality to games from that era that's hard to duplicate in 3D. An enemy is always going to be more unsettling to me when it's jerkily snapping to 8 directions and repeating the same choppy animations over and over. Imagine a Cyberdemon walking smoothly towards you and smoothly raising his rocket arm and doing whatever other bullshit animation he'd probably be doing these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcY_DsxqJvc&t=30s

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

THE loving MOON posted:

You don't have to imagine it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-X0-t7Ng1s

Looks pretty cool, but I get the point you were driving at

edit: If you can find DOOM 2016 for Switch this season on the cheap, I recommend it. I wouldn't be surprised to see it on sale, it's certainly old enough now.
Yeah exactly, it looks cool and is very well animated, but it's predictable and choreographed by design, where the original Cyberdemon was an abstract jittering nightmare. A translation of the original Cyberdemon (AI and all) to a modern 3D environment would look stupid, not scary, and that goes for pretty much any sprite-based AI-controlled character, which I think is why a lot of older games feel scarier than newer games. It's not the art itself, it's the loss of abstraction that goes with more realistic graphics. The scariest enemy in any game is Phanto from Mario 2.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

THE loving MOON posted:

If it makes the decision any easier, Doom's multiplayer isn't on the cart and must be downloaded as an update to play the game (even single player) at all. So if you want Doom on the Switch, it's gonna be taking up a good chunk of your memory no matter what.
I know I shouldn't get my hopes up but this seems like a precedent to allow Dark Souls to get an audio quality upgrade patch one day, even an optional one. I played it on a plane recently through headphones (the real mile high club starts here) and the Taurus Demon boss music is so loving compressed you can hardly make out the melody. It's really a travesty.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Reality Winter posted:

You probably won't get matched up with anyone playing the D3 campaign. It's really really bad.
It's not worse than any other mediocre evildoer-based storyline. Veteran Diablo 3 players are just scarred for life from having to play through it a minimum of 20 times to unlock all the characters.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Bottom Liner posted:

What are you talking about unlocking characters?? That was never a thing in D3.
I mean fully unlocking them, i.e. getting all the classes to 60

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I bought a glass screen protector on the recommendation of the game store dude when I bought it and this discussion is the first time I've actually realized the screen isn't actually glass. It seems so natural and the way it's meant to be. I don't actually know what it looks like without the screen protector on.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I liked Firewatch, and I also liked Gone Home. If you liked one you'll probably like the other. It's basically an interactive narrative but it does a good job with it. The player character's voice is Harry Crane from Mad Men so if you're anything like me, you'll picture him looking like this

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also I couldn't like Gone Home, I thought it was really boring and uninteresting and just did not care for it at all. I find the speedruns that can be fit into a gif more entertaining to watch.
It's a story, not a game. That's like speedrunning a book by turning directly to the last page.

edit: The Croft Manor DLC for Shadow of the Tomb Raider is very similar in that it's purely about exploring a big house, finding artifacts, and uncovering story info with no combat or raiding of tombs. It's not a brilliant story or anything, but the process of going through it was rewarding to me v:shobon:v

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Yeah I guess that's fair. I guess I meant if you like the kind of 'game' that Gone Home is, then Firewatch is the same kind of game. More accurate to say if you hated the kind of game Gone Home is, then you'll definitely hate Firewatch. The stories aren't that similar, but I liked em both well enough.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Celeste is probably going to make me finally get some sort of controller grip/case for the handheld mode because playing it like that makes my hands cramp up in like under two minutes.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I decided to do pure sorcery for my first Switch run and 4K wrecked the poo poo out of me, even with full Havel, 40 INT, and all the magic I had access to (everything available at Firelink). Casting is just so slow and I couldn't get one down before the next one was ramping up and generally got one-shotted by the tip of its sword. I ended up investing a shitton of souls into Pyromancy just so I could kill them.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Imagined posted:

Have you gotten the treasure goblin who drops a portal to like Carebear world full of happy rainbows and unicorns and poo poo? I didn't even know that was a thing that could happen so it was so fun to paint it with blood.

THE loving MOON posted:

Actually for me it was just a stage during a nephilim rift. Didn't see any treasure goblins this run

edit: also it was like a regular diablo level, it just had carebears, unicorns, and the rift guardian

There's also a way to create a permanent portal to that world. There are steps here: http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Whimsyshire. Back in the day, it used to be a tedious fetch quest that you had to do once per difficulty. Looks like it's a simpler matter these days.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This would defeat the feeling they created for BotW though. It’s entire point was you could do anything, in any order, in which ever way worked for you. It’s why so many people have different stories of completing the same task. I can see items that maybe allow you to go back to other dungeons for little side chests but I don’t want to go back to having to for sure have the same item to solve a puzzle in a dungeon in only one way
On the other hand, BotW "defeated" the feeling that literally every Zelda game before it created and the reason why people love the series. BotW is a cool game but if that's all Zelda is going to be from now on, I'm disappointed.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Who decided that freedom was the most important aspect of a video game? I have enough sandbox fatigue already.

edit: I always think of LA Noire, which I think would have been way better as a linear series of vignettes that take place in small maps instead of shoe-horning GTA into it and having car and foot chases every 5 minutes.

Volte fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 1, 2019

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Dragon's Dogma is one of my favourite games of all time. I finally got a character to level 200 on the PC last spring, and I still get the urge to go back and play it sometimes. And anyone who has only played the original DD and not Dark Arisen, I suggest giving Dark Arisen a chance. There are several quality of life changes that made a huge difference, primarily that you get way more Portcrystals (portable fast travel points) per playthrough, and an infinitely usable Ferrystone so you can always fast travel to any of your current Portcrystals. Bitterblack Isle (the DLC) is extremely fun as well and reminds me a lot of Bloodborne chalice dungeons.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Finally got a chance to watch this. It looks pretty cool, but it gave me serious Skyrim Vibes, which at the moment... isn't great. I played a lot of Skyrim (on the Switch) and liked it, but it's not a very good game. Fantasy medieval just doesn't grab me. I figure the combat is above and beyond fun. I'm not expecting BotW open world but I don't think I can take Skyrim open world again.
It's hardly like Skyrim at all other than it being an open world. There's only one main city, you can easily do every single quest in the game without spending a ridiculous amount of time, and there are several "stages" that the world goes through as you progress through the story as opposed to Skyrim's sandboxitis where nothing really matters. Combat is fast and the vocation system encourages a wide variety of playstyles because you can unlock passive abilities for each class and use them with any other class once unlocked.

If I have one complaint, it's that the prologue and first part of the game up until you get to the main city (maybe an hour or two) are kind of dull and there's an annoying escort quest where you have to walk really slowly. But after that, it really opens up.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

RandomFerret posted:

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but those suggestions are based on a combination of what's popular and your own search history.

Mine does not have that particular suggestion, it just goes fanart, Link, Prince Sidon vore like a normal person

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

omg chael crash posted:

From what I've read, there are a few moons that require motion controls specific actions? Am I wrong?
I'm pretty sure there are alternate ways to do all the motion moves (I had to look up how to do the downward hat roll because I cannot get it to work 90% of the time with the Pro Controller) but they aren't necessarily particularly easy to use.