Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't know what Solomon's Key is but I really like it. It's fun and seems to grant you way more abilities than you'd think with only two buttons. They still really need to tell you controls, yes you figure it out fast enough by fumbling around but it'd be nice to not have to do that.
The first level literally forces you to do all of the moves, and there aren't that many combinations of buttons on an NES controller, so it takes about thirty seconds to trial-and-error your way to figuring out all the controls. If I was going to write a textbook on game design, this would be one of my primary examples of a good tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

psylent posted:

Is there anything Nintendo fans won't masturbate over?

Mega64 posted:

Are you new to the internet or something

Don't stop, guys. I'm almost there...

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I met Solare, and it's as if he was looking at different surroundings than I was; like no matter how much this world tried to get me down, he was impervious to it.
:unsmith:

:can: ... :smith:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Does anyone have experience ordering from aliexpress, regarding delivery times to Europe and more importantly authenticity of the product? I’m tempted by the 8bitdo SF30 and it’s a bit cheaper on there, and also it looks like the official model has changed slightly to resemble the SNES controller less. Plenty of sellers on aliexpress still have the better looking originals.
It depends on where you are in the EU whether it's a good idea.

Here in Denmark, anything coming from outside the EU gets hit with a 160 DKK import fee (about $24), and then 25% VAT on top of that for however much the person who is looking through your package magically determines the value of the item to be (they give zero shits about the declared value on the form), including shipping and the 160 DKK import fee they just charged you. This is after your package sitting around for three weeks in some warehouse for them to get around to it in the first place. And they don't deliver to your address; you have to pay your fees at the post office in person when you want to pick up your package. There is no getting around it with anything cutesy like marking your package as a cheap gift - they will gently caress you, anyway, and then rely on the byzantine complaint process to weed out anybody who would dare question them.

But I've heard from people in other EU countries that they regularly import things from the U.S. or China, and have never had to pay anything additional.

Whenever possible, I just use German or UK amazon. No import fees for packages being sent within the EU (though you need to be careful, and look at who is actually shipping the items to you on amazon, since it's possible an item will actually be shipped from outside the EU, even though it's on a European version of amazon).

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Looper posted:

merry smashmas everyone
And a happy katamari. :jewish: :rory:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m here to report that Katamari runs fantastically on the few levels I played last night.

It also has two physical control schemes as well as :siren:MOTION CONTROLS:siren:
Is there a way to calibrate the motion controls? We can't get it to stop rolling backwards. We've tried completely turning off the joycons and reconnecting while they were laid flat on a table, and it still did it.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

anyone here use the 8bitdo and a ps4 controller with their switch

thumbs up or down
Big thumbs up.

Motion controls with the PS4 dual shock are pretty good. I can't notice any more lag than with the joycons. And the bluetooth emitter in the dual shock is much stronger than the joycons, so a foot or glass or whatever that gets in the line-of-sight to the dock won't cause missed button presses.

The downsides are that you can't turn on the Switch with it. You'll need to turn it on and navigate to the controller menu with another controller first. The very first time was also annoying - you need to set some options in the system menu for it to work at all, and 8bitdo didn't put detailed instructions. You'll need to google it.

You'll also need to make a wired re-connection to your PS4 again after every Switch session.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Looks good. Glad I waited.
DQXI is really good. I couldn't wait like you. There were several times I was on the train or laying in bed, wishing I had it on Switch so I could play whenever and wherever I wanted. My only concern with it would be load times between zones - it was annoyingly slow even on PS4 Pro.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Heath posted:

It won't be perfect until I can change my library view to be either alphabetical or I can make folders so I can meticulously sort them by developer or genre
I just want the option to make the gridded view the default. It's already there. It would take them no effort at all.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

For anyone who has anxiety BOTW is amazing
Just don't let a guardian see you. Even when they aren't a threat anymore, the sound effects are stress-inducing. I have the same kind of response to that sound as when I hear an alarm clock go off.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Heath posted:

tweetweetwetwetwetwtwtwtw duhnahnahnahNAHnah duhnahnanaNAHnah kaPEW
:sweatdrop:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Harlock posted:

Putting FFX and FFXII out within like 2 weeks of each other seems odd.
They're probably using the same manufacturing facility to make both of them, and it's just the difference in expected time to crank them out sequentially. I don't think they expect anyone to be waiting at midnight for the release of a port of a remake of a game that is nearly 20 years old. They know that people that want to buy them will get them eventually.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

And better than MegaMan 2.
Sliding and charge shot make Mega Man games worse, and MM1 had bad level design, so the only contenders for best Mega Man are MM2 and MM9.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Sam Faust posted:

Man, GC stuff feels like such void in Nintendo's re-release offerings. It's in a weird spot where its too new for their retro focused stuff and too old for the quick ports. I think the only way you can legally play Sunshine is with a GC disc and that's a 3D Mario game.
I think that has a lot to do with the Gamecube having an analog plunger shoulder button. It wasn't really vital to anything in Wind Waker, so that could be ported easily, but it's very important in Sunshine. So a remake would need a ton of work that would change how the game feels, or it could only be sold to the small set of people that have purchased a Gamecube controller with a Switch adapter.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

For Tetris 99, is there a lot of interaction with other players that a slow internet connection would gently caress you, or is it more like 99 people separately playing endurance mode?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I played tetris effect during the free weekend and if it makes you feel any better I didnt like how there was too much stuff flashing on the screen, making it hard for my old dusty brain to keep track of what I was looking at. I mean the game was ok but it ultimately felt like a slightly better version of lumines.

Then i tried effect mode where it throws random obstacles in your face while you're trying to just complete some stinking lines. Definitely not a chill experience for me.
It was designed for VR. The effects work much better in full 3D.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Astro7x posted:

I am legit more excited for Tetris 99 than any free full retail game I've received as part of Playstation Plus.

Seriously Nintendo.. give us more Nintendo Switch Online exclusive games like this and I'll be really happy.

Also...

https://twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1096207823145455616

The game does seem a bit bare, glad that more is coming
Hell yeah. I don't really enjoy setting up tetrises and combos and T-spins and dealing with garbage from other players. I like my Tetris blisteringly fast and just trying to hang on.

Marathon mode would need to have a global timer for speed-ups, though, so that you don't need to wait on someone who never uses fast drops in the early game.

EDIT: Hmm. Just saw that marathon is still a score attack. Which means still setting things up. Hopefully there will be a marathon mode where the "score" is just the number of lines cleared.

Inferior Third Season fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 15, 2019

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

japtor posted:

One thing with marathon mode and scoring by line is that modern Tetris rules make it too easy. I think the lean towards the vs game and score/time attacks is because marathon became so much less of a challenge with the modern rules.
They could just gradually reduce the amount of time you can slide a piece around or that you're allowed to rotate it when it's on the pile, until it's effectively a kill screen at five minutes or whatever. This is basically how master mode on Tetris Effect is, and it rules.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I have an ethernet/USB adapter for Switch, and it's even slower than the wifi connection. But it doesn't sporadically cut out every few minutes like the wifi does. So I turn off the wired connection when downloading games, and then turn it on when I want to play an online game. Nintendo is such an amazing game company that they gave us lovely hardware so that we could tweak things to min/max our stats. You all need to step up your meta-game.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The Black Stones posted:

Carryon only. Cabin is climate controlled so batteries are a non issue. From what I read though, you can only go up to a certain milliamperes with them.

Check luggage? No way. Not allowed.
Luggage compartments are generally also climate-controlled. The probability of a battery exploding is the same in the cabin as in luggage. The reason you're allowed to have it in carry-on but not checked baggage is because it is much more difficult for a fire to spread in the cabin compared to luggage. Humans are naturally fire-resistant and the seats and overhead bins must pass very strict fire testing for certification. It can't be guaranteed that all suitcases and their contents are similarly fire-safe. Also, obviously, the crew and passengers have a chance to extinguish a fire if it does break out in the cabin, but not in the hold.

The FAA literally has different risk acceptance criteria based on whether something will kill just a few people on board versus something that could potentially cause the plane to crash.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Interestingly NoE has something similar, except winners get to participate in a raffle where 999 gets that 9.99€ prize.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1103220171458732032

quote:

Winners & prizes
Out of all participants that finish at least one match of Tetris® 99 in first position (“Tetris Maximus”) during the event, 999 can win a prize of 999 My Nintendo Gold Points each, delivered to their Nintendo Account. The number of Tetris Maximus wins achieved has no influence on the chance of winning a prize. If more than 999 participants achieve a Tetris Maximus win, winners will be determined by random draw. If less than 999 participants achieve a Tetris Maximus win within the period, the number of winners will be reduced accordingly.
Having a raffle instead of a tournament could be a legal thing, but I think it has more to do with recognizing there are at least 999 people that are really loving good at Tetris and have a lot of time on their hands, which puts the prize completely out of reach of the average to bit-better-than-average player, making the tournament just a race for the top few thousand players. By having a raffle for anyone with a win, it gives incentive for okay-ish players to keep going and try to get just a single win.

quote:

Participation
To participate in the competition, consumers need to have a Nintendo Account with a country/region setting of any country the event is available in.
It also seems like all you need is an account with the region setting, so everyone can participate in both, if they want to.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Mega64 posted:

Gonna buy another sub so I can win those coins in both regions!
Just lol if you didn't get a family account to begin with so that you don't need to remember which account to pick when choosing a game with online functionality.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The philosophical implications of the Mario Odyssey hat capturing mechanic raises existential questions to rival the Star Trek transporter.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My favourite thing about FF7 was finally getting the airship, which was such a nice home-base that let me do whatever, go wherever, and if I wanted to get into fighting poo poo, I could just set down and walk around the mainland.

Do any other RPGs have something like this? Like a moveable house, more-or-less?
FF8 would blow your mind. It has entire universities that hover and move around and they go to war with each. They're called "gardens" for some inexplicable reason.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

SettingSun posted:

When I first played FF9 my friend who let me borrow it convinced me to name Steiner "Rusty". He said it would make a scene really funny but it set up a stupid joke 10 minutes into the game and I was mad about it. Renaming Dagger back to Garnet will never not be funny though.

Welp that's my RPG renaming story.
Years ago, I convinced my friend Zach to play FF7, and he started renaming Cloud to "Zach", and I tried to tell him he should keep it as "Cloud" without spoilering things, but he changed it anyway. I don't think he even played long enough to get out of Midgar, so it didn't end up mattering. But it would have made certain parts of the plot even more ridiculous than it already is.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

pixaal posted:

Everyone misremembers Cloud as Squall.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

E2M2 posted:

Anyone use wireless headsets on Switch? Realized I can use my switch docked in bed if I had a wireless headset.
I just tried wired headphones while docked, and it redirected the sound to the headphones. So you would need to get one of those audiojack-to-bluetooth transmitters. There are also some USB-to-bluetooth transmitters that should work. Alternatively, your TV might have some wireless audio options itself.

Depending on your headset and transmitter, there could be significant lag, though. It wasn't an oversight that bluetooth audio isn't baked into the current gen of consoles.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do love how the level design basically has moons placed where in 64 and Galaxy you'd find pointless secrets like 1-Up mushrooms or coin stashes, and you can find a whole bunch of moons just by spending a few minutes loving around in random corners of the map.
But moons are so plentiful that finding one becomes equally pointless as a 1-up. I liked the idea of the blue coins in Mario Sunshine (though the execution wasn't very good). They're better than 1-ups and normal coins, but not as valuable as the shines. A perfect thing to find for the completionist explorer (or ignore for those who just want to quickly complete "the main game"), and their existence preserves the value of the relatively rare shines.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Andrast posted:

I hope they port bloodborne to the ps5 or something at least.

That game deserves better performance
I didn't notice any slowdown at all on PS4 Pro.

PS5 will most likely be natively backward compatible with PS4, so Bloodborne should run fine on it without even needing a port.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Andrast posted:

Bloodborne still has garbage frame pacing whether you run it on a normal PS4 or a pro. It never runs fine because of it.
If you say so. :shrug:

It was fine for me, but I also don't have a problem listening to music on $10 headphones and I've never in my life detected a slight hint of boysenberry in the bouquet of some expensive wine.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

KingSlime posted:

I mean yeah if you're fine with that you're absolutely going to be a-ok with bloodborne fluctuating 30fps. It plays fine enough but you really never noticed it stutter or whatever?

Video games aren't supposed to do that. See: smash and Mario odyssey, both fluid games, vs botw in the korok forest where things get....framey and sad
No, I don't remember anything as bad as the Korok Forest. I sort of remember slowdown when I defeated a boss during the death animation, but it's been a while. I might be thinking of Dark Souls 3. A quick googling says that the Pro had a boost mode that helped frame rate, so it's entirely possible I experienced whatever issues it still had, but it just wasn't bad enough for me to make a lasting memory of it.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

Some brave soul is datamining tetris99.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1126682146771435520

They clarify underneath that this is speculation due to him reading the code, so it might change or not appear at all.
They also found a bunch of things when it was first released, and none of those things came to be.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Did the first Mario Maker have a way to filter out levels with invisible blocks? I only played about a half hour of it at a friend's house, but that was long enough to make it clear that randos aren't responsible enough to use something like that thoughtfully and sparingly.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Argue posted:

Is there any reason for me to care about T-spins in single player tetris, other than for practice?
Misdrops can often easily be turned into t-spin setups, getting you back to a clean stack faster than if you went line-by-line trying to fix it. The more you practice t-spins, the more easily you can immediately recognize the opportunities.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

How does Pokemon even know when you're sleeping? Or does it mean when the Switch is in sleep mode? So you're only playing Pokemon Sleep when the Switch is sleeping... oh, gently caress, I just lost The Game for the first time in like two decades.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

How does playing nes offline work? I didn’t see any options in the menus to download the games, I assume it just works automatically?
I remember reading that it will work offline for up to a week after the last time you were online. It might disable it immediately if you mess with the clock settings. I don't think anybody has actually ever given enough of a poo poo to find out.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

It's not a frog. :ssh:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

"donkey kong" themed roller coaster misses landing after ramped jump. nine dead, dozens more injured
One of the victim's friends tragically died two minutes later on the same jump. His last words were "Pfft. How did you miss that? Let me try."

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Volte posted:

My only remote concern about Switch Lite is that it will somehow be more successful than the regular Switch and tell Nintendo that they're better off pivoting Switch to be a handheld-first brand and relegate TV Out to some additional accessory you have to buy in future generations, and we'll get a bunch of games that don't even bother outputting 1080p because it's just a gimmicky accessory that nobody really uses like Super Game Boy. I don't really think that will happen, it's just a nightmare scenario where it turns out that only like 15% of people use the dock and Nintendo calls it a failed experiment and moves on.

I do like playing in handheld (especially with the Satisfye grip) but some games are best experienced on a large screen with a decent sound system. I kind of bounce off BOTW every time I try to play it handheld.
They released data last year that showed like 30% of people play portable nearly exclusively, 30% play docked nearly exclusively, and the other 40% regularly play in both modes.

You don't need to worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The Kins posted:

I wanna say it’s a money laundering prevention measure?
It's more likely arbitrage prevention. When there are several cash equivalents floating around, and there are discounts on some of them, it isn't too difficult to imagine a scenario where repeated arbitrage is possible. The easiest example is simply if cashouts were allowed - say, Target sold gift cards at a 10% discount, then you could buy $100 worth of gift cards at $90, immediately exchange it for $100 cash, pocket $10, and then repeat the process as many times as you wished. Obviously, no company would ever allow this, but the same idea could be done using only slightly more complicated schemes if there are multiple cash equivalent types with various discount programs.

The easiest way to prevent arbitrage is just to not allow more than one exchange of currency type before needing to use that currency on a non-exchangeable good. So, you could buy $100 worth of Target gift card for $90, but you can only buy things in Target with it, and if you tried to return something, they would only allow the value to be reloaded onto the gift card, and wouldn't give you cash.