Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm still laughing about "shmrights" goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is there a recommended usb hub I should get for the dock or will this work as well as anything else:

ECHZOVE USB Hub Compatible with Switch, Hub Dock Compatible with Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084ZMGFFG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_3VCAHFMZHMN4K04AT5RA

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I've been playing BOTW with a DS4 and a Mayflash adapter. Then the game told me something about tilting the controller to do something.

Should I use a regular controller or will the tilt controls also work with a DS4?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Ragequit posted:

I am still waiting for Wild Arms to make a comeback.

I started playing this last night on a drunken whim and hoo boy it is something else. Lots of acrobatic cowboy jumping and lassoing. Also I'm really bad at it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah wait that's the one. Someone bring THAT back.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

$20? I wanted to pay peanuts.

I'll probably still check it out.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I play a shitload more old and sometimes terrible RPGs these days just because ODEs are a thing and redump sets are plenty. Wizardry on the Saturn? Sure let's do this.

Still speaking on controllers, is there any reason not to get the HORI wireless controller? I really like their fight sticks typically but I don't know anything about their pads.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Chaotic Flame posted:

God I miss Burnout 3: Takedown

Is that the one with the crash destruction scenarios? Those owned.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have a switch I just bought two weeks ago and I played BOTW for a couple hours just now and took it out of the dock to see if it was super hot.

It was actually fairly cool to the touch.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

So I haven't owned a modern console in 20 years and I'm trying to get my bearings here.

Is it still the case that the big blockbuster AAA titles don't come out on Nintendo consoles or if they do they're stripped down to work on the hardware? It seems like something changed.

E: it's also cool but strange how a DS4 works flawlessly on a switch. Like it feels weird.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

robot roll call posted:

there's like 5 toads in the whole game

You cannot make me talk to a toad. I won't do it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The Bloop posted:

I can play sonic on a NINTENDO system but not Mario on a SEGA system.

The console wars are over and we won :mario:

You can definitely burn a ROM of SMB3 to a cd and play it on a Dreamcast.

I'm giving this claim three Pinocchios.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm so sad Mario 35 is going away

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Diablo 3 is on switch? Oh hell yeah.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Fun Times! posted:

Yeah D3 works incredibly well in handheld.

Is that because the touchscreen helps? Is it a nightmare on a tv screen?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That's good to hear. I only ever played d2 on a PC but i can see it being fine to control on a modern controller.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

japtor posted:

Do emulators have rumble support? Cause Drill Dozer had a rumble cart and the usage was awesome for the feel of the game, particularly on the smaller GB Micro. WarioWare Twisted is another one where ideally you'd want to play on the original hardware.

Obscure one but one of my favorite puzzle games, Guru Logi Champ (or Guru Logic Champ) is goddamn great, and I'm not sure its specific mechanic has been copied.

One Line Puzzle I think came out on the DS first, but the GBA one was a sequel with more puzzles.

The original Rhythm Tengoku was great, and particularly loved the drum mini game. Was that ever included in one of the later sequels/collections?

As mentioned Tony Hawk 1+2 on GBA were pretty neat for how they pulled it off and actually worked well.

And totally forgot about Astro Boy and Gunstar Super Heroes, but those were awesome. I think just in general there was a bunch of great stuff on GBA as kind of as last hurrah for a lot of 2D games.

Something I just thought of:

If you're playing a gba game on GameCube using a gba player and a GameCube controller, will it pass rumble functions (that the original hardware would send to the cartridge) to the controller?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Still mad that GB Player didn’t contain Super GB capabilities :colbert:

There's a rompack with all of the SGB titles in it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

DS could connect to WEP only if you had a WAP

I was always the ONLY friend in my group who had the bucket and mop accessories

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Are you committed to this childhood dream or not?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

In BOTW is there any value in just loving off and going to places you're clearly not suited for (beyond it just being fun to get wrecked by an overpowered giant you have no hope of defeating)?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I find it the offputting comments odd being that I posted the exact same thing in here a few months ago and basically everyone agreed. :shrug:

It's just messed up because if you just look at the options out there, adopting a ColecoVision Style is going to net you the best results across all systems.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Walla posted:

On a different subject, are there any decent joy con alternatives with extra back buttons? Handheld only is fine as that's the only way I play. I really need to be able to remap L3 and R3 in BotW since I keep accidentally clicking them.

I do this too and it is annoying as hell.

"Oh crap I need to run away!"

*crouches down and pulls out Sheikah Slate*

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I 100% will not play a 2d sidescroller on anything but an 8bitdo SF/SN 30.

I tried to play Mario 35 with a joycon exactly time and gently caress that d pad.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The SF30 works as a complete controller replacement. You can even play BOTW with it and it has a tilt sensor and everything.

Just get an SF30.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I thought difference between the SF and SN models was the presence of the analog sticks? I'm wrong all the time though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Lmao that's so weird. Okay now I know.

Seriously just get an 8bitdo with analog sticks. They do not get in the way at all and it's nice to just have them if you switch to a game that needs it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It's so fun. I've never even gotten that deep into a match because I suck and typically play when I'm already pasted but it's seriously stupid fun.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

there's a fairly large group of us on twitch who coordinate to play together and we're all bummed that we won't be able to do that soon

i'm mid-tier in skill, some of the dudes i play with are on a totally other level that i can't really comprehend. like, some are well over 600 wins and well over 70% win rate, making my 200-something wins and 55% win rate look quaint.

I wondered how people coordinated matches. That's cool! I just like playing with random people in Japan at 4 AM west coast time.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

The old Switch has already been tough to buy through the pandemic. It looks like right now you can get them from a few places at msrp but it's been hit and miss over the last several months.

The first time I tried to buy a new Switch off of Amazon in February, this is what came to me:

I immediately returned it because it was clearly used and I didn't want to risk it being already banned from Nintendo online but lol wtf. It wasn't even listed as used.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

What is a good dock for mobile play where you're using a controller? I hate using the switch handheld because it feels giant in my baby hands.

Honestly even a dumb stupid tablet stand might be fine (though I've seen some docks with integrated cooling which seems cool).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Midjack posted:

Skull and Co Jumpgate

Oh cool it comes with a usb-c hub too. Thanks for the rec.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

PneumonicBook posted:

Haha look at this person without kids. All my kids do when they play 3D World is scream about power ups and yell at each other to slow down. It's mostly a nightmare.

My kids love watching me play it and they scream like wild when Cat Mario becomes a giant flaming lion.

Also: just get Smash Bros Ultimate and let your kids virtually wail on each other. Then swoop in like a hero to beat the unlock battles.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Man I wish the m30 actually worked with the Saturn though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

I have peggle hd on the 360 and it's a ton of fun, but a real pain in the rear end to get it set up for toilet playing. Generally I've poo poo or pissed myself before I get everything plugged in and turned on.

Ya got peggled, son.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 27, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's really something you should talk to your partner about in private, rather than strangers on the internet.

Got my Satisfye Grip and my Satisfyer Pro 2 and we are Ready 2 Game.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Not quite the thread to ask this, but we just got a WiiU lent to us from my sister in law. Obviously I'm not going to mod it right away, since it's not actually mine. But if I get the go-ahead from her, how foolproof is it to do that, hook an external hard drive up to it (or SD card) and just go nuts?

I'm kind of blown away by the fact that so many things have been added to the WiiU virtual console, and it kind of pisses me off that the Switch's retro offering is comparatively lacking. I mean DUCK HUNT works on this thing, even with a non-CRT (yes, I know the tech is different, but still.... The work was done!).

Modding a WiiU is stupid simple. Go nuts.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

We just loaded up Super Mario Strikers today and I was reminded of how much fun it is.

I also have the Wii version but I've never booted it up because I presume it requires remote waggling.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Oh yeah I just play against my young kids locally and pwn them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'll pay money for Pac Man 99 but only because I'm just sad that I can't pay money for tony hawk yet.