Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I’ve bought a S-charge but I don’t really get when it will charge. Sometimes it seems to do it and sometimes not. And it doesn’t appear to be an on button?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
What’s people’s opinion on tropical freeze as a couch coop game?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Castor Poe posted:

The fiancée and I are considering getting Overcooked. Is the game playable and enjoyable with only 2 players? If not, is there a good alternative on the eshop? We're kinda sick of Minecraft and Stardew Valley, we'd like to sink our teeth into something different.

Me and my partner have had a great time with both toad and donkey Kong. I can also recommend LA Noire, it’s fun to take turns examining the crime scene and helping each other with finding evidence and interrogating suspects.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I’ve heard of load times up to 4-5 minutes, is it that bad?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

pixaal posted:

They are very different games. Dark Souls is about learning to properly position and move your character. Dragon's Dogma is about becoming insanely powerful and steam rolling everything.

You can grind and out level the content in Dragon's Dogma, that's not an option in any Souls game. So really do you want to be able to face tank enemies or do you want something where failure will happen? They are both good games and I love both. People seem to compare them somehow but I find them nothing alike other than the color palette.

Dragon's Dogma isn't a push over, and grinding isn't required at all. They might be similar if you jack the difficulty up on Dragon's Dogma and ignore side quests but the game is not designed around dodging everything and feels lovely to play that way. I tried starting on hard because people said that was the best way to play and it was extremely frustrating and bad. Normal is perfect and clearly how the game was intended to be played with Hard as New Game+

You can definitely sorta outlevel content in DS. Especially when it comes to upgrading your weapons. I played through DS remastered for the first time ever last month and found it very good and enjoyable, but you kinda have to like to learn combat patterns and read up on where to put your souls when you level up.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Just bought super blood hockey. Not sure if it’s actually good but I’ll support any hockey game on the switch.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I’ve never played a MH game before and I didn’t like (or understand) it when I tried the demo. But I picked it up on a whim after completing dark souls remastered. It took a couple of hours of playing and reading up on all the different mechanics but I am just totally in love with it now. So many different weapons, styles, armors and monsters, I up to almost 35 hours now and I think I’ve hardly scratched the surface.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Mario + rabbids are on sale, thinking of buying it since so many seem to love it but is it still fun to play in coop mode?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
What’s the verdict nowadays on the assassin’s creed game? The reviews are all in the 5-6 range but I’ve seen some people on reddit that seem happy with it.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Frankston posted:

My girlfriend has expressed some interest in playing video games with me. Can anyone recommend some fun co-op games we can enjoy? The majority of my library is all single player stuff.

P.s. I already have stardew valley.

I’ve played through donkey Kong, Mario odyssey, Harry Potter LEGO and Rayman with my SO and she’s liked them all. But they’re quite platform-y so if she’s not that good with timing and coordination they may not be as fun for her. We’ve also played LA Noire and Thimbleweed Park and alternated with using the controller but with both of us helping out with finding clues and interrogating. So those two are an alternative if she likes stories and puzzles.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Fancy Hat! posted:

I'm interested in Pillars of Eternity! It's basically on the level of those Baldur Gate type games, correct? Curious how it runs/controls on console.

Me as well but I’m holding off on buying it for now. Some on reddit have reported that the text and icon displays bug out quite often. The company that ported the game seems to be aware of the issues at least.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Mahoning posted:

So I'm like 3 hours into DragonQuest XI's demo and I genuinely like it. I like the vibe of a turn-based RPG (I also liked the Octopath demo).....and I never grew up playing RPGs at all. I wish I had played them earlier in life when I had way more time on my hands and could stay up all night playing video games.

This is me as well. I’ve never really played a JRPG and I was a bit turned off by the anime vibe but I am hooked. So chill, so fun. I wasn’t planning on buying it at all but now I’ll get it on release day probably.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

rotaryfun posted:

Anyone else playing Pillars of Eternity? I feel like I messed up stepping into that game on the switch for the first time. Probably should have gotten that on PC.

Anyway, I'm having really weird bugs with the text turning to hieroglyphics every now and then and then also item icons are not showing the correct picture for the item.

I thought their latest patch fixed that but apparently not. Many on Reddit have reported the exact same bug. I've been wanting to buy PoE since it was released on the Switch because I loved it on the PC but I keep hearing about horrible, game-breaking bugs so I'm just gonna wait it out until they have patched them all out.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

nachos posted:

How is the switch port for blasphemous? I have been burned once by bloodstained, never again

Quite good. Been playing for 10 hours, almost all handhold, and it’s generally been smooth. I have had some instances of frame drops though, primarily when you use an ability and it hits many enemies at the same time. But overall it’s great.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Oscar Wild posted:

Anyone play "Blasphemous". Its a mediocre metrodvania. The art style is pretty neat for a teenage gothic type. The platforming is a little floaty and it unfortunately has some pretty demanding areas. Not Hollow Knight white palace hard but the character isnt as precise as I would want them to be. The combat is pretty cool. It seems like a sold B to B- kind of game. Not worth adding to a huge backlog but if you want some very metal arty platforming you could do worse.

A couple of us a have been discussing it in the game of the month thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898614

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I love DQ11 but they really should have included a couple of alternative “explore the world” songs because the standard one gets real boring fast.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
The thread’s title comes true once again.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Rayman legends is worth is solely for the music levels. So good.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m extra :stoked: for Overwatch to have gyro out of the box, finally a dev figured it out!

I was going to buy OW for the third time but after this whole HS/Hong Kong debacle I have a hard time justifying giving more money to blizzard.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Amppelix posted:

I haven't played enough to actually say anything about the combat other than "it exists" but what's worse about this complaint is that combat is like, the lowest of the lows on the list of things that make Luigi's Mansion good. It's never been unenjoyable but that's about the best thing you could say for it.

How does its replayability seem compared to like Mario, donkey Kong etc?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Tesh posted:

What was the goon consensus on Blasphemous? I love the art style and see it's on sale currently so it's tempting me

I liked it, mostly for its atmosphere and art, especially some of the bosses. The actual fighting and platforming is okay though somewhat tedious at times. I know that some people hated that all spikes are insta-kill and easy to miss by 1 pixel and die. Anyhow, I got some 15-20 hours out of it at full price and was very happy I bought it so I’d recommend it.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

mancalamania posted:

Any hints for the Floor 6 boss in Luigi's Mansion 3? I'm sure I'm missing something but I tried vacuuming its tail, vacuuming it's shield/armor, plungering the shield/armor, and none of it works. I see the target on his chest that presumably needs to be plungered but the shield is always blocking it.

If it is the knight you need to flash it when it attacks, just before it hits you. It’s all about the timing.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Cartoon Violence posted:

Oh yeah that's a good question. Is Paladins good? Does it use gyro aiming? I quit all Blizzard games and am looking for competitors that scratch the same itch but have dev teams that are not trash people. Does the Switch version have people screaming slurs in your ear because you picked a hero they didn't want you to pick in casual play?

I haven’t played it a lot - 10-ish hours - but it’s decent for a free game and there is gyro aim. No voice chat as far as I know.

I want to pick a lengthy game that will keep me occupied for some weeks. I’ve already completed DQ11 so now I am choosing between Switcher and Divinity 2. Anyone feel like weighing in?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Live Free posted:

switcher has a great story and decent gameplay. divos2 has a decent story and great gameplay. divos has tactical fights and witcher has action fights. both games are good as hell but i haven't played div on switch yet so idk how the port is

The port seems fine according to reviews so I’m gonna go for Div I think. More in the mood for a tactical RPG, thanks!

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

keirharder posted:

How’s divinity 2 in handheld? Not too fussed about graphics quality but I’ve never played the game and have a lot of long train trips coming up. Thinking of picking it up, either that or Pokémon maybe.

It’s great. I am 10 hours into it and it runs smoothly even in handheld. I’ve had one time when the FPS dipped because the entire screen was repeatedly filled with explosions but other than that there’s been no problems. The text is easy to read as well and the controls are intuitive. It eats power though. 2 hours of gaming and my battery went from 100 to 30%.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

keirharder posted:

How’s divinity 2 in handheld? Not too fussed about graphics quality but I’ve never played the game and have a lot of long train trips coming up. Thinking of picking it up, either that or Pokémon maybe.

I recommended divinity 2 earlier and it’s still a great game but I have noticed that while it ran flawlessly in act 1, in act 2 it has crashed while fighting several times. It seems like Larian is aware of the issue and have submitted a patch that will hopefully fix it but just so you know.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I actually found some of the toad maps to be somewhat frustrating and puzzling.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Evil Badman posted:

It's coming to Switch eventually.

Is that actually true? The last thing I heard was

quote:

The answer to whether Disco Elysium is coming to Xbox One and PS4 is a resounding yes. The team at ZA/UM are aiming for a 2020 release date. As for the Nintendo Switch, there is currently no answer out there.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

A Sometimes Food posted:

Keep an eye out for Pillars of Eternity and especially it's sequel if you're on that kick. Pillars 1 is divisive but Pillars 2 is legit the best isometric crpg with the possible exception of Disco Elysium.

PoE1 is not recommended to buy on the switch, it is still plagued by some major bugs.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Divinity 2 just never ends. I’m over 50 hours played now and I just reached act 4. It’s still fun but some of the story and twists seem kind of forced. I just want to blow poo poo up.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

BoyBlunder posted:

How was Blasphemous? The setting looks pretty neat. Reviews say it's too hard, and I'm an old fart and don't have time for things like that and just want to enjoy myself.

Great atmosphere, decent game play. Hard but not very. Think it took me around 17 hours to complete.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

RichterIX posted:

How bad is the sound in Dark Souls for the Switch? I'm trying to decide if the portability outweighs it but if it's really really bad it might annoy me enough that I shouldn't buy it.

I haven’t played it on any other platform but it never bothered me while playing.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

cosmin posted:

Late to the party but i’m loving mario+rabbids, perfect dose of gaming when I don’t want to fire up a “serious” game.

How much content is in the base game? I’m a very slow gamer and rarely finish up games but
should I buy the dlcs now as they’re on sale?

I think I got around 15-20 hours of playtime out of the base game, but I didn’t find every weapon, 100% each fight etc so you can probably get more out of it if you are so inclined. The dlc took me like 5-10 hours.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I’ve never felt like loading is slow in Witcher 3 but then again, I finished Divinity 2 right before starting with Witcher and those loading times were sooooo long.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Nibble posted:

I wasn't expecting to see Mario Kart on sale pretty much ever, so that's cool.

How does D:OS2 play on Switch? I definitely want to play through that at some point, but up until now I was planning to get it on Steam.

It works great. A bit long-ish load times but that’s all.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Wildtortilla posted:

Can you define long-ish?

It depends on the area, but the large ones can take, roughly, twenty-thirty seconds to load I’d say.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Wildtortilla posted:

How frequently do you change areas? I can live with that kind of load time if I'm going to be in an area for a while and not just passing through lots of tiny areas.

Not that often really, most of the areas are seamless except some caves and dungeons. It’s more if you have to reload a lot after dying in difficult fights.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Waffle! posted:

"So what the gently caress's goin' on?"

Kingpin's coming to Switch, that's what the gently caress.

That’s something alright. Think I played a pirated copy of it when it released and liked it but unsure how well it holds up.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Nintendo Switch: wow an entire thread of wrong opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Hows the Lego Harry Potter collection? Fun co-op? Holds up years later? I haven't played a Lego game in like 15 years, but I remember them being pretty fun and casual.

Super fun. Played through all of them with my partner and we both liked it a lot.