Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Is there any reason I shouldn’t buy a switch lite? I need something to do now that all the sports and public events are canceled and I like the idea of saving $100.

Also, what software should I buy? What are the switch “must haves?” Do I need to get an SD card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I am aware that the Switch lite cannot connect to a TV. I wouldn’t be playing on a TV right now and I think the $100 now is more valuable to me than the possibility of doing it at some unspecified time in the future. I’m wondering if it’s decent hardware other than that.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Araxxor posted:

No really notable differences in performance if that's what you're asking. It's the same hardware as the Switch, you just can't dock it.

Yeah this is what I wanted to know.

Does it have some internal flash memory or do I need to buy an SD card?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

What are some of the highlights of the Spring sale I should check out?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m a 32 year old man whose has played probably 13 out of 15 Kirby games and I seriously just today learned there was lore

Kirby's Dream Land was the first game I got for my Gameboy in the nineties so I love Kirby even if I haven't played a Kirby game in over twenty years.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I am going to play Tales of Vesperia for the first time with the definitive edition, which is on sale for $20. The Tales of series is notorious for having a LOT of permanently missable content, and I understand Vesperia is no exception. My plan, however, is try and just not worry too much about it my first play through and save the 100% dreams for a future new game+. However, is there anything *big* that I should know going in? Anything on the scale, for example, of the following Tales of Symphonia spoiler: be nice to Zelos or else he will loving DIE?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I am thinking of buying Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition when it comes out at the end of the month. Is it good? Is it better or worse than Xenoblade Chronicles 2? I watched a video of the gameplay and it didn't seem all that interesting. I also think I might be getting tired of open world games. I might buy Bioshock instead, since I have fond memories of the first one and have not played the other two.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

My problem with BotW is that it is too big. I have more time to play video games right now than I’ve had in years. I played 55 hours of BotW last month. I have finished one of four dungeons. I am bored and have moved on to other games.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

That's like half the amount of time I spent with BotW lol. But if you aren't enjoying yourself, then sure, move on. Though it took you 55 hours to realize you weren't enjoying yourself?

It was pretty good. I’ll probably get back to it eventually.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Basically any game where added difficulty is just “every enemy is now a crazy bullet sponge” is doing difficulty scaling wrong.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

ColdPie posted:

The best part about the PSP was you could insert a UMD, use moderate force to "twist" the PSP's body, and the UMD drive would pop open, ejecting the UMD a good 6-12 feet.

I remember back in like 2006 there was a half-life 2 mod called SMOD or something that had tons of different novelty weapons and one was a "UMD launcher" that was basically a PSP that launched explosives shaped like UMDs. The alternate fire had Gordon press the square button, and nothing happened. It was hilarious.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

iirc the Square button would get stuck on earlier models and you had to mess with it to unstick it

:thejoke:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

KingSlime posted:

Hell yeah sticky square button gang represent

You just learned to deal with it because god drat that was such a gorgeous piece of hardware back then.

I still love the "glass" style seethru shoulder buttons on sony handhelds, weird clickiness and all. Made me feel like a real grown up boy unlike those Nintendo loving preschoolers with their Mickey mouse ears and tamagochis

Yeah the PSP was really flashy for the first five minutes after you took it out of the box before every single inch of it was covered in fingerprints. I still don't know why they made the finish so glossy.

Here's a fun fact: The PSP had a higher initial MSRP than the Switch Lite.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

All joking aside I wish I'd spent more time with my PSP back in the day. It was a great console. I think it was pretty profitable too, even though it never reached the highs of the Nintendo DS.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

why is everyone talking about the psp when the Nokia ngage existed

Because who the hell had one of those?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

My favorite half remembered fact about the NGage was that changing games required you to remove the battery from the device. No idea if that’s true but it’s what I can remember about the NGage 17 years later.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Bloodstained is exactly what you want if you want a continuation of those. Iga didn't miss a beat.

Did the Switch version ever get fixed?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Yep, the game instantly bombed on mobile last year, and Bethesda has been trying to think of a way to salvage it along with their reputation because all of their games in the last few years have been bad.

Lol Bethesda hasn't released a good game since like 2002. The best thing Bethesda has done since then is allow Fallout: New Vegas to be made. Sometimes I just pretend that New Vegas is Fallout 3.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Pants Donkey posted:

Remember when people thought mobile games would threaten Nintendo’s reign over handheld gaming?

Which...it did at one point, but then every developer decided to drown their mobile games in monetization bullshit.

Mobile gaming has seriously cut into Nintendo's handheld gaming business, and will continue to do so. Compare 3ds sales to Nintendo DS sales. I don't think anything like the success Nintendo achieved with the DS could ever happen again, mostly because of mobile gaming. A whole audience of casual and light game players who absolutely ate up poo poo like Nintendogs and Brain Age can find experiences like that on the ios and Android app stores. There's a reason why Nintendo is essentially positioning the Switch Lite as their new handheld, even at the cost of cannibalizing the end of the 3ds's life cycle. I doubt Nintendo is going to release a dedicated handheld independent of the Switch anytime soon either, and is likely to stick with their hybrid portable console strategy for a while.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I still have four wavebirds from 2003 and about a year ago I got them out to use for smash bros. and they all worked great.

Gosh, there may never be another controller like the wavebird.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Why can’t third party controllers wake up a switch? People have talked about that a few times now and its very strange.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I mean, if “Nintendo is doomed” stories cropped up a lot this century, it’s because Nintendo did, quite often, appear to be doomed.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Guys?

Morrowind owns and I’m sore I missed the Bethesda derail because I have so many Bethesda opinions.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Wait wait wait wait wait hold up. There is a switch version if the Binding of Isaac rebirth? Is it good?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Safari Disco Lion posted:

It's fine but it's expensive on Switch. I regret spending $40 on the package and will probably try and refund it.

Yeah I love Binding of Isaac but I’m not willing to pay $40 for it. I would probably pay $25 and maybe $30. I played the original but somehow never got around to rebirth and was briefly excited at the idea of playing it on switch, but not for $40.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Nethack is good. Especially, if you back up your save file.

lol imagine being this lame. If you can't beat nethack, just play a Valkyrie or something, don't cheat.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Pretty good posted:

Tangentially related to the mention of FTL as a game that wouldn't work great with button controls: I really miss the ubiquitous IR (and later gyro) pointer UIs that we got during the Wii era. I might be in the minority here but I feel like there's so much in the Switch's library that'd benefit from the option of cursor controls – like, even though Civ VI is totally playable as it is, being able to use the joycon like a pointer mouse and drag the map around would be a significant quality-of-life upgrade. I'm thinking about how the PS4 touchpad went woefully underused in part because publishers tended to mandate that multiplatform games offer "parity of experience" across both consoles. Nintendo doesn't insist on something similar for handheld vs TV play, right? Or if they did at first, they've since eased up on it? Otherwise we wouldn't see third party devs adding bespoke touchscreen controls in the cases of games like Civ and Cities Skylines.

In any case I don't think I've seen any cursor-based gameplay or UI navigation in any of the Switch games I've played so far. Closest thing I can think of is the shooting gallery in the new Clubhouse Games.

One of the main downsides of the hybrid console gimmick of the Switch is that the most distinctive control features of the previous generation of Nintendo consoles are rendered useless. Nintendo wants most games to be playable in handheld mode, so most games can't have IR controls or elaborate motion controls. Also, basically every game has to be playable docked so the touchscreen can't be properly utilized.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

KingSlime posted:

Lol imagine being this lame where you have an opinion on people "cheating" in single player games

For most of us, video games are toys not achievements. I can't speak for the crazy speed runners that run thru games at blistering speeds tho

I mean, it isn’t like, using the Konami code to get extra lives. It’s undermining a core element of the gameplay. It’s like beating super Mario bros with a game shark code that lets you fly over obstacles.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Got to see all that pretty art and story content in nethack.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

There's even a debug and "explore" mode in Nethack that a new player can use to learn about game mechanics/see endgame content where you can choose not to die if you want. Keeping a backup save file in Nethack is just a lame thing to do sorry.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I like animal crossing a lot but after about a month it definitely becomes 30-60 minutes of daily zen garden raking rather than a "game" that you're going to spend hours on end playing on a lazy sunday afternoon or whatever.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

I think one thing that really bothers me about Animal Crossing is how villagers have to comment on you being missing when you haven't logged on for a few days. I still like to play it but I want to just be able to chat with my villagers without having to go through every single one of them bitching me out because I don't turn the game on every single goddamn day.

Streets of Rage 4 owns hard and I've had zero trouble getting online matches. That said, I have had some degree of lag in every online game I've played so it's not perfect.

This annoys me too. Like jeez guys I have limited time to play games and sometimes I spend that with something else for a few days. Don’t have a cow.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

How have you guys played it? Do you have review copies?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I had a problem with my Switch lite where for weeks the left stick would fail to register input directly to the left of right. So, say I am playing a game where the left stick controls character movement, and I am holding the stick all the way to the left to move my character left at a right angle to the camera. My character would start to move left, and then around one second later would stop dead. Obviously that was a really irritating problem, and I was planning to send my console in for repair once the repair centers reopened, but after about three weeks it just stopped happening and hasn't happened since. No idea what changed.

In conclusion, Nintendo makes lovely analog sticks.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Hot take: the original version of The Wind Waker looked better than the HD remaster.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

The HD version has too much bloom. Also, all of the models are more visibly 3d objects, whereas in the GCN release of The Wind Waker the entire world looked pretty much entirely like an immersive cartoon environment, which was great.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I have a lite because I don’t own a television.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

KingSlime posted:

According to some YouTuber who did the digging in research journals: the average person only spends 30 mins a day playing video games. He was shocked at how low this figure was and compared it to his own. After all, most games range from 10-30 hours and RPGs especially hit the 100 hour mark as the norm now so he was skeptical

As someone who games heavily, he was surprised to see that he was personally averaging an hour or less a day of playtime! And his entire career centers on playing and experiencing video games!

What I'm saying is good luck not having a backlog the second you buy literally any game these days.

This is super interesting, so a link would be good. I think this comports with my experience. I think it's very likely that I spend more time reading this forum and thinking about video games than actually playing them. I think the only times I actually play video games for more than about an hour a day are during the roughly two weeks after I've bought a new one, which I would estimate I do about once every 2-3 months.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Anyone who says FTL is bad is my sworn enemy forever.

Btw I have the PC and iOS versions of FTL and although the PC version is definitely better, the iOS version is good enough that it’s the only one I play now because of the convenience and portability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Do they even make amiibos anymore? It feels like they just sort of vanished

Good riddance to that microtransaction garbage.