Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The Bloop posted:

I'm fairly certain that buying cute little statues of characters that you like is just a regular transaction

Until game content is gated behind that purchase of a knick-knack I don’t want. But you knew what I meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

On the other hand, IPads are much more expensive than switches. But probably easier to find.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Not really. The 128 gig iPad is 329 :shrug:

I guess when I last bought one six years ago they all cost like $1000+.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

romanowski posted:

the best part of pokemon snap to me was the secret pokemon hidden in the geography like the kingler rock formation in the first level and I hope there's a lot more stuff like that

It took me like a dozen tries to find the loving koffing smoke.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

It's both true that pokemon snap was a very short game that would not pass muster as a full-price title in 2020, and that it absolutely owned in 1999.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I would hope a present day Pokemon Snap wouldn't be lacking for content since it's a rail shooter, and I don't think it's terribly unreasonable to assume there's not a huge amount going on under the hood; When you're essentially making a diorama and the point is to just see cool poo poo then one would assume it would be pretty high priority to jam pack it full of said cool poo poo that would lend tons of replayability. Sword and Shield put me firmly in the camp of thinking Game Freak is kind of pathetically lazy and the IP should be in the hands of someone else, so I'm glad it's Bandai Namco making this thing.

They should go hard on the concept of having a relatively small number of courses, but with a ton of hidden behaviors for those courses that make them highly replayable. Like, the original game had some of that stuff, but there should be much, much more. In my recollection the original game had pokemon that behave differently when you use items, some of which can only be found in later courses, as well as a few pokemon that only appear when you use items in a certain way. For example, I think it was only possible to make Gyarados appear in the Valley course by using a pester ball to force a magicarp out of the river right at the beginning of the stage, then continually intervening to ensure that the magickarp is transported from one place to another throughout the stage while being mistreated by the pig monkey pokemon. That owned, and it was tough to figure out without going through the stage a few different times. There should be more of that. I'd like it if there were entire sections of courses gated behind hidden interactions, actually.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Andrast posted:

Goldeneye was never good

:can:

Ehh, console shooters were in a really, really different place prior to Halo, which didn’t come out until November 2001. In general they were much less sophisticated than PC shooters available at the same time. In the context of the late ninties, Goldeneye was groundbreaking and fun.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Echophonic posted:

My only real issue with Quest 64 is the camera. If they just made that a more traditional one, it'd actually be a solid game.

Okay, so Quest 64 was my first N64 game and my first RPG. So if anything I am very biased in favor of Quest 64 and willing to acknowledge its strengths (e.g. the wide variety of magic spells). However, you are seriously misremembering how bad a game Quest 64 is. It is very very bad.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Bomberman 64 rules and is easily the best one in regards to single player.

False, the best bomberman single-player on N64 is Bomberman Hero. Also maybe the best soundtrack of any N64 game.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 14, 2020

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

bowser has always been a good dad. nintendo seems pretty firm on their stance about covering it up but he already had eight other kids who he raised just like bowser jr

Wait are the koopalings bowser's kids? That's not clear. THey seemed like they were more minions.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I liked MM3D and the only change I really hated was the change to Zora-link’s swimming. Most changes are objective improvements.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

See I would be down for this except for reverting the inverted song of time change. The original inverted song of time made the time limit so generous it basically wasn't there. I essentially never thought about it while playing the game. In MM3d, the inverted song of time makes the time limit feel about right.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Brawl is great for anyone who isn't an obsessive weirdo. Melee feels nothing like the original game and sucks.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

So what’s the strategy for winning at Super Mario Bros. 35?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Coins are very important early but I would say don't go down pipes or up to the clouds for coins, focus on hidden one ups and coin blocks. You'll naturally build up time early because of the invincibility stars in 1-1 and 1-2. If you select Attackers early I feel like the game sets it up where you'll have a LOT of people sending enemies after you which helps there. You can get more selective in the mid game when you might want fewer attackers.

Once you have say, 160 coins and maxxed out time (should only take a few levels) the number of players will dwindle and you can try to eliminate people. 2-2 is great for bloopers and 4-1 will eventually just ruin the game with lakitus. 2-2 and 2-3 will probably cost you a little bit of time but won't get you too far away from 400 on the clock. 4-1 will keep you maxxed out on time but again, the screen can get completely flooded with lakitus. So you might want to wait until you have at least 200 coins before you go to 4-1 so you can just cash in a series of coins for power ups if you need to.

Ignore enemies when time is maxxed out as much as you can. Remember you get a lot of time for finishing levels, Bowsers and fire flowers when you are powered up so those will keep you close to 400 while not helping your opponents with more enemies to kill.

In the late game as the clock turns red do not be afraid to just cash in as many coins as you can. You will die with coins from not being powered up far more than you will die from having wasted all your coins.

How do you consistently encounter particular stages? I mean warp zone obviously but not all levels have that. I feel like even late game I mostly end up doing 1-1 and 1-2 over and over again, with the occasional harder level thrown in.

Moreover, how does the game pick stages general? Like, when I finish a stage how does the game decide what stage I get next? It feels really random.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Okay I won a round! Woo hoo. Does this game seem to hurt anyone else's wrist more than other games?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

SMW's controls do feel weird today. Much more so than any of SMB 1-3.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I'll just do my full hot take. I played all the 2d marios on Switch Online this year, so I went straight from SMB 3 to SMW. If everyone who played SMW had just finished playing SMB 3, there would be no further debate about which was better. It's SMB 3 by a country mile.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Super Mario Sunshine is not the best Mario game, but it’s not a bad game either. It’s hindered by a few unfortunate late ‘90s/early aughts design elements that mostly are also present in SM64.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Nintendo has murdered those pixels frames and they must be held accountable!

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Stop posting screenshots from my computer. How did you get these?

EDIT: Explanation: I have this year on several occasions been in virtual court proceedings disrupted by a lawyer's cats.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Len posted:

How is there a Direct tomorrow and none of the usual suspects predicted it?!

It's almost like the entire ecosystem of twitter Nintendo leakers is completely full of poo poo or something.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Hot take time: Skyward Sword is really, really ugly. Easily the ugliest 3d Zelda game.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Augus posted:

only until your joycons start drifting, then it's a console

Then you buy $20 worth of maintenance supplies and spend 15 minutes cleaning the joycons. After that, it's a portable again.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

American McGay posted:

old cheat codes ftw.

Do games even have cheat codes anymore?

No. Now you pay for anything the cheat codes might have done as DLC.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Amiibos aren't DLC exactly, but they sure as poo poo are micropurchases.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

It's standard time though.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Dip Viscous posted:

I really wish companies would just use UTC on announcements instead of using the cutesy names and still getting it wrong anyway.

Lol no one knows what UTC is.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I thought Sun and Moon were good, though there was def. some Gamefreak-style laziness detectable.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Not being creatively bankrupt?

Wait how many pixels have to display to make one creatively solvent?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Nintendo branded ones are just overpriced products for grandparents

I actually bought the nintendo branded card just because I thought it would be less likely to be counterfeit. I also read that it was a good card, albeit a bit overpriced.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

It's loving daylight saving time! Why can't they ever get it right?

EDIT for reference:

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 7, 2021

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

antidote posted:

It's lame that the Windwaker remaster isn't on Switch yet. It looked so good on the WiiU a lot worse than the original GC version, like everything was a toy plastic model.

ftfy

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

That was loving awesome. The Pokemon anime was good it 2017 apparently. Who knew?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

hatty posted:

Yeah and it hosed you up because you mashed and hit yes to repeat at least three times until you slowed down and actually hit no

I don’t know if I can play Ocarina of Time without the quality of life and graphics improvements from the 3DS port at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

b_d posted:

quest64 was cool as hell. it sucked poo poo in twenty ways but it owned anyway.

Quest 64 was a bad game for sure, but it had some really interesting ideas and I wish someone would try to do something like it, but much better. In particular, the magic system was pretty cool. I remember an impressive number and variety of different spells.