Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I just found out TWEWY won't let you use joycon and touch controls simultaneously. Wasn't that the whole point of the original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Picked up Guacamelee to play through it again, and I forgot how slick it feels. The style and animations are great, and I had a hard time putting it down as it keeps funneling you to the next objective. It's a stark contrast to Hollow Knight, which often felt like a slog, especially when I saw that the next unexplored area was across the map and the nearest fast travel point was a couple minutes away.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Great, now I want to gently caress a ghost

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I finally got a subscription for the online stuff, and I went to look at my cloud saves, but a bunch of games are stuck on "waiting to back up." Is there a way to force it to happen?

Edit: Canceling and restarting the backup works, but it's kind of annoying that I have to do it for every game individually

404notfound fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 24, 2018

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mister Facetious posted:

Sooo, a sidescrolling Hotline Miami?

Looks more like Gunpoint or Mark of the Ninja

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dark Souls really started to click for me once I realized that against many enemies, it's actually better to get right up against them and abuse i-frames to dodge through any attacks that don't just go over your head entirely. A standard cross slash with the right hand can probably be avoided by simply circle-strafing clockwise. Have to admit I haven't tried it with fat-rolling though.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God drat this horny thread

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm waiting to get my Jumpgate portable dock thing, and in the meantime I'm looking for a good case that'll fit it. I have my Splatoon 2 edition slim case, which does have a mesh pocket, but is so snug that you can't even fit the joycon straps in there without the whole case uncomfortably bulging outward.

What's a case that's not too thick (preferably less than 2 inches) but still has a deep enough storage space for the "core drive" component of the Jumpgate (3.4" x 1.4" x 0.4" according to the Kickstarter campaign)?

Edit: Would also prefer not to have those silly elastic bands that a lot of cases seem to have and are a pain in the rear end to put on/take off, though it's not a dealbreaker

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Your Computer posted:

I like videogames

:frogout:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

:great:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

How big is the core drive? Having a dock to prop up the Switch and simultaneously charge is nice, but all I really want is a portable HDMI hookup that's small enough to fit in a case.

With my backer number, my Jumpgate should be shipping out soon, if it hasn't already... though I haven't received a tracking number yet.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

You don't want to know the answers

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The Bloop posted:

Just be careful not to remove the original matte finish because this ruins the resale value

Just cover the screen in a high smoke point oil and pop it in the oven at 350 for an hour, good as new

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I waited to pass judgement on the Genki bluetooth adapter until I had a pair of AptX-LL headphones, so I ordered these and got them in today.

Holy poo poo, this thing just works. Pairing is easy, it doesn't need to be charged separately, it even has a pass-through USB-C port so you can charge while using it, and if your headphones support the AptX-LL codec (which, admittedly, is not particularly widespread at the moment), then there's no discernible audio lag, at least as far as I can tell.

The Genki is even usable in docked mode with the included A-to-C adapter. That said, the only downside to the device is that there's no mic built in, so they threw in a little 3.5mm jack mic that you can use in conjunction with the Genki, though this obviously won't work too well if you're docked with the Switch (and the mic) across the room.

I also got the optional stand (since the Genki sticking out of the bottom prevents you from using the built-in kickstand), but there's a weird bit on the middle leg that flips out, and I can't figure out what it's for.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Tangledeep also drops tomorrow. It's been a while since I really dug into a roguelike, so I'm kinda excited for it.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

There have been multiplayer versions of Tetris before, where you're trying to last as long as possible while dumping garbage lines on other people. Is there something about this version that makes it uniquely BR-esque, or is it just a rebranding (and an increase of the player count) to try and capture that demographic?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I for one am glad we'll finally be getting the Jet Force Gemini game we deserve

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dammit. I actually work with the brother of the guy who dropped that rumor, but he said that his brother (Imran) won't tell him what it is. At least the guy has some journalistic integrity, I guess :geno:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Bongo Bill posted:

No, I'm pretty sure people will just always be mad about what an upcoming Zelda game looks like. It's like the seasons.

Bring back Oracle of Seasons (and Ages)

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I got the dreaded joycon drift problem a few weeks ago, and the compressed air I had lying around wasn't doing the trick, so I finally got around to buying some WD-40 contact cleaner. I flipped up the little rubber skirt around the stick, gave it a quick squirt on either side and worked it around a bit, and the stick is working flawlessly again. I dunno if it's going to be a permanent fix, but it takes less than a minute to do so hopefully it won't be a big deal going forward.

If you're not sure if you have the drift problem or not, go into the controller calibration and test out the stick in question. If you give it a flick in a direction and it doesn't instantaneously snap back to zero, it may need a cleaning. Mine was slightly slow to reset (still pretty fast, but not instant) when flicking upward and a little bit when going downward, but it was easy to compare the reset time to left/right and see that there's clearly a problem.

You may have a drifting joycon and not even know it. Depending on a game's deadzone settings and the repeat delay (i.e., how long an input needs to be held down before it repeatedly sends it, like when you're scrolling through a menu), it might not be enough to affect that particular game. In my case, I first noticed it when playing Tangledeep--there's almost no deadzone, and the zero reset time was just slow enough that it would send one or two extra inputs when in a menu, but my joycon wasn't bad enough to affect other parts of the game.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Kvlt! posted:

How hard is Tangledeep? I'm super interested in it bc I love the idea of roguelikes but hate permadeath, and I know it has a non-permadeath mode but I suck at video games and always end up confused in RPGs at what to do and how to play.

Also is there good bang for your buck? How many hours do you get out of it? Just any thoughts from people who played it would be appreciated.

As far as roguelikes go, it's pretty easy. I could see beating it on your first run if you take the time to do a lot of sidequest stuff to get stronger.

If you play on regular heroic mode instead of hardcore, you can build up your stores of captured pets and banked gear (with no prereqs for equipping!) to make subsequent runs easier.

I played a few characters and got up to about 20 hours on my main game before I got the save game bug on my floramancer. While waiting for the patch that will fix the issue, I started and finished a hardcore run over the course of about 12 hours (hunter with a dip into brigand), but I was went at a pretty deliberate pace and hit the level 15 cap a while before tackling the final boss. I also wanna do New Game+ on that file, but again, I'd rather wait for the patch to do that.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Gamestop is known for pushing its employees to upsell people on a lot of junk, but unless the guy was really browbeating your mom into buying the DLC, mentioning that it exists and saves you money over buying the characters individually is truthful and may even be considered helpful (shocking, I know). It is neither his nor your mom's fault that 1) you don't like DLC on principle, or 2) Piranha Plant isn't part of the season pass and was only free for a limited time.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

So my Jumpgate also came with a pack of Skull & Co.'s stick-on colored button caps and d-pads (these ones). It's all just attached with little 3M adhesive pads so it's not a big deal to try it out, but how have people found d-padded joycons (whether through hardware mods or just attachments like this one) to work when held sideways in single joycon mode? Does it ever pose a problem when hitting buttons?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

LionArcher posted:

Jet force Gemini! I don’t care that Xbox owns rare!

404notfound posted:

I for one am glad we'll finally be getting the Jet Force Gemini game we deserve

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Acht posted:

How does Skryim hold up on the Switch? I've played the game some on PC and it's good fun. I never went far, but it seems like a perfect game for me to play on the switch now and then.
Price is annoying though, still 60 euros on the store for me.

On a technical level, it's adequate. If the idea of playing an unpatched, unmodded Skyrim on the go sounds appealing, go for it. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but at this point you should know by now if that's your jam.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I've got my cool little Switch pouch to carry all the essentials, but sometimes I wanna bring some extra joycons to a party (of the regular, non-rooftop variety), and it's annoying having them rattle around in a bag and keep turning on and draining their batteries. Is there like a joycon carrying case made for two or more pairs of joycons?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

After getting my Jumpgate portable dock, I went to https://www.switchchargers.com to figure out what kind of power bank and charger I need to have the ideal portable setup. I ended up with this power bank, which is able to power a Switch dock (the Jumpgate is capable of working with 5V instead of just 15V, but it's nice to have enough wattage to actually charge while playing instead of gradually trickling away) and this tiny wall charger that isn't dock-compatible but is a nice way to charge things quickly when a power outlet does happen to be available.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Kingtheninja posted:

Guys what are some good carry cases out there? I'm now on a train commute to work and have the chance to play on the go. All I've really seen are the ones target sells for 20 bucks but wanted to see if there are better ones preferred.

How much are you looking to bring with you? I assume you don't need the dock with you every day. Does it just have to protect the Switch itself, or do you need room for cables, a power bank, etc.?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Morgan Webb was in the same special high school program as me and my history teacher still remembered where she sat, and welp that's my claim to fame

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Joycon drift can also depend on the game you're playing. Tangledeep seems to have little if any deadzone set for the sticks, so even the slightest amount of drift can manifest as multiple inputs when browsing a menu.

If you're at all concerned about whether your joycon is drifting, the calibration tool in the system settings is a good way to test. If it drifts, then it'll take just the slightest bit longer to reset to zero when you let go, or it might not reset entirely at all and will hover near the actual zero point.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Glass screen protector is pretty much required for the Switch. You can buy whatever dumb grips and accessories or overpriced cases (like mine) that you want, but nobody should have to have a touchscreen device with a lovely plastic screen in TYOOL 2019

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Have people already talked about Golf Peaks? It's a great golf game in the vein of Golf Story, in that it's not actually a golf game at all. It's a puzzle game where you're given a predetermined set of moves (putt 1 space, putt 2 spaces, chip 2 spaces and then roll one more), and have to figure out how to use them to navigate the environment (sand tiles stop and prevent rolling movement, hitting a water tile will reset you to the nearest tile) to get to the hole. Levels are small and (so far) not too complicated, so it's perfect for bite-sized Switch gaming.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Oh poo poo, sorting and preventing the screen from turning on when unplugging are gonna be nice. Still would prefer something more robust for organization but it's a start.

What does the zoom thing do?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Looks like beforeiplay.com has an entry for Dragon's Dogma: https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Dragon%27s_Dogma

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

FWIW Overcooked 2 is much, much easier to get stars on, so you don't have to feel too bad about screwing up a dish here and there

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dark Souls is the perfect way to introduce a child to the harsh, unfair truth that is life

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Reality Winter posted:

Persona 5 musou? Are you kidding me Reggie?

Reggie is dead, long live King Bowser

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Rolo posted:

Accessory chat, I need a low profile hard case. I don’t need room for accessories. I’ve been keeping mine in the splatoon one that came with my system but it got smooshed in my suitcase and I almost lost a joycon stick.

Suggestions?

This one is about as low profile as you can get, though I'm not sure if it's hard enough for your use case: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C3Z8FFC

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

My Splatoon bundle left joycon has had drift a few times now. I use WD-40 contact cleaner but it inevitably comes back again after a few weeks.

No kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The latest Nintendo News post about zoom mode is such a loving tease :arghfist: