Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao I just got Runelord in Octopath Traveler. That is some busted poo poo. For the price of 1 standard attack, I can knock down two weaknesses toward a break and do an extra 10,000 damage. I also have a 50% chance of doing it twice with the second serving passive!

Unlocking it was a fun fight at level 48.

Guess I better go and get the other elite sub classes now.

I'll need more job system games when I beat it. Bravely Default Third when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I've never been big on space games, but I finally checked out a recent summary video on Starlink and it looks like a drat blast. I'm sold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rolvw8hUp24

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want to but Starlink but I feel like it’ll be smart to wait since it’s an Ubisoft game so that means it’ll be half price a month after release.

In most cases you would be right, but Nintendo digital sales take a long time (for bigger titles) to hit that percentage. You won't have better luck with the physical version either because of the toy DLC and higher initial price.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I assume when you buy the Starlink ships/pilots they unlock the DLC in your game permanently to use without the toys? Because if not, how the hell are you supposed to play handheld. I purchased the digital version as the extra unlocks were a sweet deal, but I was curious how that works.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
drat, Starlink is insanely chill. I shot off to the second planet as part of the story but have otherwise just been scouting around, building up outposts, scanning animals, taking down baddies, and unlocking map points. The only thing that wasn't apparent to me was how to "complete" the deserted towns. I grabbed what I thought was the item from each, but they all still show 0/17 on the first planet, where other landmarks count up once you complete them.

You can upgrade your main base quite a bit which allows you to further mod your weapons, ship, cargo capacity, skills, etc. I only briefly tried a different ship when I ran in to an elite enemy who ruined Fox McCloud's day, but they all have their own levels and skills. It looks like you could pump a stupid amount of time in this gave if you were inclined.

I've never really been in to spaceship games, but I am enjoying this a hell of a lot.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kingtheninja posted:

As long as they release more than 4 episodes as a first season let's party.

The second season just released the other day with 10 episodes.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
In the past I have never wanted an amiibo in the slightest, but that D3 loot goblin, holy moly...

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
The only co-op D3 I played was with friends on PC years ago - is the Switch drop in play with randos good? I assume it’s just gratuitous enemy explodin’ and lootin’ with people dropping in and out as needed?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

PeePot posted:

Not a single thing? Look harder.

https://my.nintendo.com/rewards/5ff1a44ac9653cae

I've got a folder of most of the stupid wallpapers, that I'll never use. A bunch of 3DS themes that I'll see next xmas when I transfer some Pokemon over to the Switch version.

Thanks for this. My kids are going to love these while playing Mario Party, though they will likely fly everywhere during mini games.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dehry posted:

Just Go from what they've been showing off.

I assume the game is fully playable without Pokemon Go interaction? I'd hate to block off a huge portion of the game for my kids if that's not the case.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dehry posted:

The big thing is a new Pokemon named Meltan that can evolve to Melmetal but only using Pokemon Go. Mew is included with a $50 Pokeball controller. It appears the Pokemon availability will just be the same as Red/Blue with the Safari Zone Pokemon being distributed to different areas since that was replaced with the Pokemon Go transfer facility.

They saw an ad for the Pokeball controller and lost their minds, so we may get that as well. Good to know!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Sure don't know what the gently caress I was thinking starting up D3 without finishing Starlink. See you later, other games.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’m upgrading my old rear end downstairs TV and surround sound receiver this month and I know the Switch is fickle with surround sound. Does anyone have a list of decent surround sound receivers that work with the switch for 5.1?

I have a Yamaha RX-V483 that works well. Mario Kart and Zelda were a blast with it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Oh my God you can put hats and shirts on Pikachu in Let’s Go.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

I think it's worth noting that the game is extremely not on Tora's side. The Heart to Hearts that touch on it are great, Brighid's voice actor is fantastic at doing an "I'm going to murder you" voice

I loved it. Bravely Default was the same way with Edea not putting up with Yulyana's or Ringabel's bullshit.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone have an answer?

You can indeed have your own profiles with your own saves, but a profile is selected every time you launch a game. Everyone sees every game on the system. Outside of deleting the game, which would be a huge pain if you are fully digital, there is no way to hide specific games.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

This is making me unreasonably angry

Spanish is a beautiful language how dare you

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of good lore, I hear the Octopath Traveler "secret" final dungeon bosses give you some really cool tidbits about how things tie together. However, you apparently can't pick a strong team of 4. It forces you to use all 8 characters, and the recommend level is 70+. Half of my crew is in the level 35 range. I don't think I have it in me to grind that.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Dont waste your time unless you adore the games combat system and arent somehow sick of it by the time you beat the main quests. Each character basically gets 3 paragraphs of text about their villain explaining their connection, you must beat 10 bosses in a row, and cant save at any point during it so if you die at the end do it all over. You can just read those paragraphs online and get the same value.

Your reward for grinding well past all other content and doing this hell gauntlet is an item which turns off random encounters.

Guess I’ll check out a video. I appreciate the heads up everyone. Also lmao at that reward item. Bravely Default/Xenoblade 2 battle options need to be in all rpgs from the start, not 60 hours in.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Do D3 console drop rates differ from PC? I am trying to get infernal machines keys from the key wardens at Torment VII. I have 8-10 machines of each act without a single key.

Maybe my bad luck is insane. If I am mistaken and keys don’t drop from the key wardens, how in the holy hell do I get some?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Bruteman posted:

Well poo poo, I should have waited to buy Diablo 3. I figured there was no way that was going on sale anytime soon so I bit the bullet.

Eh, with the time I have already put in it was absolutely worth the $20.

Guess I'll skip the sale games and buy Smash and see what the fuss is about.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Since I would mainly be playing solo or against my kids, what types of unlocks are in smash? I imagine outfits are a given, as well as a few characters. Are any unlocks gated behind online play?

I poked around a few sites trying to find a breakdown of all the game modes and options, but it’ll probably be a few more days before those pop up.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kingtheninja posted:

Any of the indie titles on sale worth getting? I looked at into the breach and have enough money I could probably get two or three depending on cost.

I finally gave in to thread pressure and got Celeste. It’s insanely charming. Even has an assist mode for scrubs like me if I get to a segment I absolutely cannot pass. Even though my death count is skyrocketing, I am having a blast so I haven’t used it yet.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Sayonara Wild Hearts looks pretty fuckin dope.

Wake me up when it's Wild Arms.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Facetious posted:

Is there a link to upcoming first party titles?
The eshop isn't the most informative in that regard.

I like the layout of this site: https://www.releases.com/l/Switch_Games/2019/Q1

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Alan_Shore posted:

Holy poo poo the final final FINAL "boss" in Smash is loving ABSURD

I love it

I think I stumbled across a dude trying to beat this on Twitch last night and he was getting pissed af as he repeatedly got his bro’s face caved in.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Finally picked up Smash last night and am enjoying it quite a bit. The Spirit adventure mode is helping me learn how to play. I didn't see it in the Smash thread OP, but I recall there being a post a week back that summed up how not to be trash at the game. Overall I feel like I am doing fairly well (except for the duo Animal Crossing villager fight and the one against Zelda where a camera followed me around doing massive damage and freezing me in place), but any tips and tricks would help if anyone has that post handy.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone played the new Mercenaries Saga game, Mercenaries Wings: The False Phoenix? Curious if it's any good. It's apparently a standalone story which is good, as I haven't played any of the previous games. If it's a decent FFT clone I'll give it a go for $10.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Just happened upon this puzzle earlier today:

Should be a pain in the rear end to put together, but I couldn't pass it up. Figured this thread would get a kick out of it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Arrrthritis posted:

Just picked up Octopath Traveler. Would I be at a huge disadvantage if I decided to run a party with duplicate world abilities? (Right now I have Primrose/Alfyn/Therion/Tressa, can I get away with that or should I use Olberic/H'aanit instead of Therion/Tressa?)

There might be a slight disadvantage, as some chests and lore skills (easier stealing/charming/whatever) are tucked away in houses with someone guarding the door. Overall it won't affect the game much, but some of those lore skills will make stealing better equipment possible. You can always just rely on Tressa to buy what you can't steal. I was rolling in money toward the end anyway.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Zas posted:

I'm curious if anyone's beaten Celeste with an unmodified pro controller d-pad. That to me would mean you have one of the good ones, or the rumors are true and they started making them better

I beat it with the analog stick in handheld mode. You'll be fine whatever path you choose.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

LethalGeek posted:

New Diablo season and a 3 day weekend means so much couch co-op :cheers:

This + massive blizzard = insanely same

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
New Tristram uses the original Diablo Tristram theme this season and that tune is still so good oh my god

Edit: It's apparently the theme for the base in all acts, hell yes

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 19, 2019

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Afro posted:

Make sure you do the Darkening of Tristram event dungeon, ideally with a brand new level 1 character. You can start in adventure mode and port right to the portal to it in Act 1, marked by a pentagram. Port there and head south. The graphics will "degrade" and there is a 16-level dungeon with all the old school mob names and stuff. It's rad.

Thanks for the heads up on this - it's amazing. The sounds and music are taking me back 20 years to the original like it was yesterday.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dehry posted:

1/31 release date, so that would have been on a theoretical Japanese direct

Thanks I hate it

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Silver Falcon posted:

This happened to Fantasy Life after just one game. :smith:

I am still saddened to this day.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

That's sort of sad. I missed Fantasy Life however many years ago it was, but looking at it now it seems like it'd be very much my jam

Never too late to buy a 3DS and Fantasy Life, friend.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Row posted:

Tangledeep also sounds similar to Dungeonmans where your town improvements and stuff like that stay after death, depending on your difficulty setting.

I am insanely down for Dungeonmans on Switch. Great gameplay aside, the music was awesome and heavily inspired by the FFT OST.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Top right of third image is straight up a dick with legs in a bonnet. That's a yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
PSA - don’t be a dumbass like me and wait to play Into the Breach. Goddamn am I bad at it though, even on easy.