Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I wish I were a slime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Slimes seem like they get to eat and sleep a lot. Plus, they don't need to feel bad about getting fat, and it's pretty easy to be shaped correctly. I'd like to be a slime.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

New episode is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nixR6wVa4HY&t=1m26s

This is real good so far. Doesn't look like a lot of people are watching, though...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this sounds good as hell

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

caught the ep over lunch but didn't have time to post, i'm still super blown away by the quality of the show not only visually but in how well they've built the comedy. they're even fully crafting new gags from bits the manga just glossed over like veldora's naming and the guild leader being hired by the noble dude. maybe these were things in the LN?

still feels like extending the cave bit across most of two episodes was gratuitous, but at this point it'd obvious they took it as a chance to use more of the typography stuff, which i can't complain about too much. now that slimedad made it to the village we'll finally get to what i think is the big draw of this series next week!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

dogsicle posted:

caught the ep over lunch but didn't have time to post, i'm still super blown away by the quality of the show not only visually but in how well they've built the comedy. they're even fully crafting new gags from bits the manga just glossed over like veldora's naming and the guild leader being hired by the noble dude. maybe these were things in the LN?

still feels like extending the cave bit across most of two episodes was gratuitous, but at this point it'd obvious they took it as a chance to use more of the typography stuff, which i can't complain about too much. now that slimedad made it to the village we'll finally get to what i think is the big draw of this series next week!

There's a big draw? No spoilers please, but I wonder what it is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh yes I've not watched the new episode but if he only just got to the village and nothing happened yet, then the series really only starts next episode and the first two are just prologue :getin:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
One one hand this is a pretty blatant power fantasy where the MC immediately gets godlike powers for no particular reason, while on the other hand it seems pretty cute and harmless and I hope they move on from being lord of this goblin village to becoming the benevolent king of all monsters or something.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 9, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

There's a big draw? No spoilers please, but I wonder what it is.

to boil it down to the most basic elements, it's just how rimuru builds relationships with other characters. it was different from most other isekai or rpg-y series i had read at the time since he's not hugely hung up on having/gaining power for his own satisfaction or personal ends. this ep kinda runs along that spectrum from mindless skill grinding into a more purposeful use of his powers (helping the goblins), and the latter is the sort of thing that is more of a trend in this series than the former.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Clarste posted:

One one hand this is a pretty blatant power fantasy where the MC immediately gets godlike powers for no particular reason, while on the other hand it seems pretty cute and harmless and I hope they move on from being lord of this goblin village to becoming the benevolent king of all monsters or something.

It seems like a very benign sort of power fantasy - a sort of wide-eyed "what if I had cool powers and could make tons of friends and help lots of people!!" sort of tone rather than a more straight forwardly flattering or "badass" one. Combined with how well produced and funny the visuals are and you get a pretty entertaining watch, if not necessarily a *super* meaningful one.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Clarste posted:

got it in one lol

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the RPG style music was very cute, and also was anyone else sort of impressed when that baron guy adjusted his pants before sitting down? I was like wow that's kind of neat to add that level of natural gesture to this minor conversation.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah I noticed that too, it was a nice touch

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Knorth posted:

Yeah I noticed that too, it was a nice touch

Reminds me of Miyazaki talking about how he hates animators that only look at other animation. Those are the kind of things you lose when you never actually observe how real people act.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

There sure is a variety of anime goblins this season. I like this more though, that's for sure.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

the RPG style music was very cute, and also was anyone else sort of impressed when that baron guy adjusted his pants before sitting down? I was like wow that's kind of neat to add that level of natural gesture to this minor conversation.

yeah it was v gratuitous and feels like something the chief AD would do (afaik he's responsible for all the little quirks in how Satoru moved as a human in ep1)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Welp, I read the manga, and I like what I see. Reminds me a little of Log Horizon, in a weird way.

But I think there are characters in the OP who I don't recognize from where the manga translations go up to?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They might take some liberties with the designs, given there's also a light novel.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this is very slow-paced

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
holy poo poo this is good

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Having read these posts, I am excited for the rest of the season! I hope it’s good, and I hope I can stave off reading the rest of the manga -

Haha who am I kidding I’m gonna go binge that whole thing right now.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the translation is really awful so it's kept me from going back and rereading or reading ahead lol

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I read the first...12? chapters maybe and when I hit the next page and the translation took a dive I was like well that seems like a good place to stop :v:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I look forward to the point some indefinite time in the future where our protagonist vomits up an entire dragon.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The anime is probably gonna overtake the manga scanlations if the OP is any indication.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I'm still super charmed by this show, but I was worrying about the level of exposition vs things happening.. This episode was an improvement over the first, and thread chatter seems promising, so I'm pretty hyped to keep with it.

His voice as a slime is so cute ...

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

His slime eyes are :3: as hell.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
This is a fun little show so far

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
I saw the first episode and decided to check out the manga.

this dragon is adorable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
okay, if the anime aims to go past where the manga is, then I absolutely can't wait to see the latest chapter of the manga(46) animated. :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Hiveminded posted:

this dragon is adorable.

It's great, yeah, but that scene was in episode 2 and it was way better in the anime. :colbert:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I can see how people may think that it's been slow so far, but personally I loved a couple of extra minutes of Best Friend Times With Dragon... :allears:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I'm still super charmed by this show, but I was worrying about the level of exposition vs things happening.. This episode was an improvement over the first, and thread chatter seems promising, so I'm pretty hyped to keep with it.

His voice as a slime is so cute ...

Apparently episode 1 is where they put all the exposition, so from this point on the action snowball should be rolling.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Slow? Ep 1 maybe, there was a lot of exposition and exploration, but ep 2 was a funny chat with the dragon followed by monster murder and then the first major plot hook with the goblins. It may not be lightning fast but I don't know that I'd call it slow.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It would be more of a problem if the show weren't as well-produced as it is so far, but the animators are clearly having a great time with Slime-kun and his attendant visual gags, and that's largely carrying the show even when the writing's a little dull IMO

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah they did a great job coming up with little slime mannerisms that aren't needed in the novel or manga.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Slow? Ep 1 maybe, there was a lot of exposition and exploration, but ep 2 was a funny chat with the dragon followed by monster murder and then the first major plot hook with the goblins. It may not be lightning fast but I don't know that I'd call it slow.

Well, just, after ep 1 the start of ep 2 had me worried about exposition levels, but yeah, it's a big improvement over the first, and it got going pretty quick after the (charming) dragonchat. Goblin village was a delight. I'm very hopeful overall because this seems like a show with a lot of potential and some great goofs n gags already.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
This series is fun.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Best goblin depiction of the season so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Clarste posted:

Welp, I read the manga, and I like what I see. Reminds me a little of Log Horizon, in a weird way.

But I think there are characters in the OP who I don't recognize from where the manga translations go up to?

There is a very distinct difference between Log Horizon and this, notably I thought Log Horizon was terrible and this is wonderful so far, but I have trouble verbalizing why I think so. Something like: the exposition and comedy were done worse, but those were understandably hampered because Log Horizon had a younger demographic target.