Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It leads to a couple of my favorite pages of Rimuru's regular life in the manga that I'm hoping will show up in the anime, but it's not profound or anything, just adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

nielsm posted:

They forgot Gobta in the cell, didn't they?

Poil posted:

Yes "forgot". :)

I'm sure the guards will kick him out when they notice him dangling there. After they franticly search around for a giant spider.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't show how that wraps up after the closing. Hopefully they don't skip it, and show it at the start of the next episode, along with the start of the journey back home, seeing as the first is when I started to like Gobta and the latter shows just how the rest of the world would react to what Rimuru has done.

Onean fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 30, 2018

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I didn't think that was even really spoilery, so I didn't bother. My bad.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Eh. It's made a couple mistakes, but it's far from what I'd call a mess. The art and animation are good, voice acting as well. They haven't skipped over any important bits yet (even though I'm a little sad they didn't show the dwarves reacting to the Tempest Wolves, it's not exactly essential), and the overall story has been moving smoothly.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Skippy McPants posted:

I think that bit even worked better in the anime. You lose the reaction shots, but you get scenes of the dwarves actually displaying their various specialties during the expositing.

No doubt, that part is better done in the anime. That's not what's missing though, the reaction shots are as you said, and they give our first proper look into the humanoid world reacting to the monster world Rimuru has created so far. These aren't weak dwarves. Three of them were in a mine that's not unknown to have monsters, and while they were badly injured by an abnormally strong monster showing up they're not unable to fight or they wouldn't be there. And yet, they're dumbstruck by the sight of hobgoblins riding tempest wolves (mostly the wolves).

It'll play more in later arcs where it's actually important, but it was a fun bit of foreshadowing that doesn't matter that it was cut but still makes me a little sad.

Onean fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 6, 2018

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'd say it's mostly better than the LN, since that took a few chapters spread out in the first volume, interrupting the flow of things a bit. But there's one thing they haven't covered yet that's really important that I only really understood on reading the LN, even after reading both the official and fan translations of the manga. Hopefully they cover it well enough in the anime.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Skippy McPants posted:

Really? Does the LN go into more detail about why the ending of this plot thread unfolds the way it does? Because it was kinda weird how vague the justification was in the manga.

There is more for that, though even the LN keeps it a little vague (though there's a little reference in the bonus chapters the official manga translation has), but it's mainly just what exactly Shizu's Unique Skill does, why she has it to begin with and why it's so good for Rimuru.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Skippy McPants posted:

If you don't mind spoilers and want a bit of context: the Ifrit was artificially extending her life. Without it, she starts rapidly aging to the point of death. Rimuru, feeling a sense of kinship with her and acting as sort of her deathbed confessor asks to take on any burdens she's still carrying so she can pass on peacefully. She imparts both the anger at the dude who summoned her and some other stuff that I won't spoil since it relates to later splot threads.

So, it is totally "woman dies to give the protagonist a sense of purpose," but it's probably the least offensive framing of the trope one could imagine. It's also pretty weird that he eats her and that is honestly not given enough context, at least in the manga.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Man, if you're gonna do it that's a decent enough way to do it, I suppose, but...jeeze. Would really have liked to have kept Shizu around, even if not in a combat role.

I went back and checked out the LN because I thought it mentioned her age, but it doesn't. Instead it's actually not vague at all, though what Skippy says covers a chunk of it. There's more of an explanation why, but I'll keep mum on that unless someone wants it just in case it shows up next week. It's better, but she still dies so it doesn't change a ton.

Skippy McPants posted:

Maybe also worth mentioning that while Shizu is the first capable and well-characterized woman in the story, she isn't the last and so far as I know (again, haven't read the LN) they aren't habitually killed off.

I've only read the official LN translations, so they've only just handled Charaybdis, though it'll get ahead of the manga translations in December judging by the cover. There are some side-story manga I've read that's set a decent bit past the manga fan translations, so super spoilers, that show basically everyone's (and then some, that I'm really excited to learn about) still around.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Good, they went mostly with the LN's scene instead of the manga's, while also using the better change the manga did and adding a bit more. In the LN, the adventurers leave before Shizu dies, so they don't learn about it, get to say a goodbye (such as it is) or see Rimuru's new form until way later.

Agronox posted:

I’m pretty sure I’m in the minority on this one but I thought this was the 2nd weakest episode so far and kind of padded out. Would probably have preferred the manga here.

The show has been a bit off at a couple points and they did add some padding here, but if they'd put too much into this episode it would have ruined the emotional pacing of it. They would have had to cut a lot more than the padding they added if they were going to start the next arc, and that would cause bigger problems than a semi-slow episode.

Edit: Also, this isn't wholly an action story. There's going to be a good chunk of fighting, yes, but there's also a lot of story that happens outside of that.

Onean fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 19, 2018

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/SlimeAnime/status/1066325881512124416

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Pollyanna posted:

I’m gonna guess it’s due to the village building subplot, maybe?

There's an argument that it's not a subplot at all.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm pretty sure that was his intention with the clone, until he realized it looked too much like Shizue.

Nah. He's just curious what a female version would look like, just like he was for the male version. The childish, androgynous form is the humanoid form he always uses.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

exploded mummy posted:

A few notes on your writeup. Some of this is based off of the Veldora journal logs that are only in the tankobons

They're carried over in the official English manga translation.

For anyone interested, please pick them up and support bringing more translations over, they're good and have all the little extra stuff the fan translations don't, like Veldora chapters and little side comics.

(Yen Press has the LNs, if you're interested in those. The next one's coming out in a little over a week, on the 11th.)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I really like both themes, honestly. Though the OP is probably mostly due to how well animated it is, Rimuru in particular.

In general I've really appreciated the quality of the animation this has, the fights in particular. I'm looking forward to some of the stuff in the future, hopefully they keep it up.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Good ogres, cute ogres, look at all these new friends. Hakurou's my favorite I think.

Hakurou's real good. (They're all real good, eventually.)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Everything about the meeting between Rimuru's and Gabiru's factions was so good. Good job, 8-bit.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Might want to spoiler that? It's kind of a driving point for some of the stuff following up after this arc.

Onean fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 18, 2018

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's also not just because he's a slime. Edit: I cut a sentence and didn't add back anything about him at least partially non-binary. He mostly uses the non-gendered pronoun in the manga when he talks about himself, plus there's this bonus comic.

(Bonus content, so maybe just to make the joke and not canon, but it's not like there's much in the main stuff that contradicts it.)

Onean fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 23, 2018

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

doomrider7 posted:

In Japanese? If so nice catch. I'll need to read my volumes again to see if they did that. And yeah he largely seems indifferent about his gender. I'd really like to hear from the author about this.

I can't say for sure personally since I can't read Japanese, but the fan translation mentioned it a couple times in translation notes I think. I can't find it quickly enough here at work to show it, though.

Edit:

IShallRiseAgain posted:

In volume 4, he mentions a bunch of times that he is a male, and is mildly pissed off at people misidentifying his sex.

Yeah, though it's more about being called a child. I went back and checked the fan-translation of that point manga since I thought they went farther there, and there is a little more about not being a girl than I thought (a bit when he gets to Ingracia, Brumund he only mentions it once at the end of a full chapter being called a girl) so I'm just projecting a bit I guess. It's still more about being underestimated, and he doesn't actually care enough to change anything though.

Onean fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 23, 2018

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Clarste posted:

The story has written him as a benevolent god with followers who trust him completely and give up their own agency to do so. I don't know if it's unrealistic or not for a fantasy being with godlike powers, but it's certainly not a very diverse cast dynamic.

We're going to learn a little more about how the monster caste/ranking/loyalty/whatever system works after this arc, so there's at least an in-world reason why they do it. Plus there's something else going on here that hasn't been spelled out yet but I'm sure is meant to be picked up by now, so I'm going to spoiler it just in case. Monsters have never had a unifying civilization. They've always been disparate tribes (even the same species sometimes), fighting each other and the humanoid civilizations. This is a first for them, and they aren't stupid. They know they're getting an extremely good life, they know exactly who's giving it to them and how little they're expected to give in return. They've never had anyone treat them like this.

Neither of those things will change your valid complaint, everyone in Rimuru's side is still written to practically worship the ground he walks on and that's the opposite dynamic to have if you want interesting relationships. But if you're worried things are going to go awful and Rimuru is ever going to exploit that, so far as I've read I can say that won't happen. So far we've got Rimuru interacting with semi-interesting characters and reacting to what the world brings to his doorstep (he'll soon stop being fully reactionary, though). This arc and the resolution to it is kind of the end of the first act for the whole series. Things are about to change, and other characters we've yet to meet might bring a little more of what you're looking for, but I wouldn't hold your breath if you're looking for deep characters with interesting personalities and exploring the relationships they have, don't have or break with each other. This is a pretty simple story as far as those things are concerned, with a only little bit of outside intrigue to break up the monotony of a largely happy life.

Onean fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 25, 2018

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, like I said in the other half of my post, that's a totally valid complaint regarding this series.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, definitely.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
(I should probably mention the usual here. Having a bad part or two doesn't make something bad, and even if something is bad you don't need anyone's permission to like it. This is still a good anime, and the series as a whole is too, but it could be better. I'm hoping that Fuse doesn't take the popularity of this and say they're good enough, because I think they could really put out something great if they keep learning and keep writing.)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

chumbler posted:

Shouldn't Gobuta have a sword now?

Edit: Wow, tilted so hard out of MTG Arena I can't even make my post right.

Rimuru forgot. It's addressed in one of the scenes they cut to get to the action quicker.

Onean fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 26, 2018

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
He can copy a sword like that, but he can't make one from scratch. The sword that Rimuru copied earlier would be too big for Gobuta. Kurobei can make something specific that's tailored to a wielder's strengths, making it much more powerful.

Onean fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 26, 2018

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I hate her Demon Lord outfit (she's quite prominent on one of the LN covers and that kept me from checking this series out for a long time), but Milim's one of my favorite characters so I'm happy we finally got to her.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I would legit like Milim's design a lot if they just gave her a skirt or some leggings or something beyond just her underwear. I like the top half of her design a lot.

Yeah.

doomrider7 posted:

Edit: Milim goes clothes shopping and gets lots of new dresses she wears when in Tempest. This is just her default Demon Lord garb.

True, and they're all adorable, but you should still put this in spoilers, seeing as it hasn't happened yet.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Dawgstar posted:

At least Milim is the exception in this series and not the rule. (Right?)

She was only very briefly on screen at the start, but one other Demon Lord has so far in the manga been the only other character anywhere close, and she only barely edges out the elves in the Dwarven club.

Very minor spoilers, in that it's a clear picture of a character that only appeared on screen for half a second, no story or even her name:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/ShopCrunchyroll/status/1087500088715472899
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/01/18-1/your-favorite-smol-slime-is-now-a-smol-nendo

Onean fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 22, 2019

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/nokiro1/status/1087368604889210880

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'm pretty sure it was worse this episode than it was in the manga.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Loosely speaking of Ranga, with this last episode we're now roughly in the point of one of the two spin-off manga: Slime Diary of That Time I Reincarnated As A Slime. The translation isn't perfect, but it's fine enough. It's a Slice of Life (Slime of Life? Slice of Slife? Life of Slime? These are all awful.) 4koma that shows daily happenings from around the town just before Milim shows up. I doubt much, if any, will show up in the anime with how unfortunately fast they're pushing through the main stuff.

Regarding Ranga:

A few other pages:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Mulderman posted:

I honestly feel they are probably speeding through some initial stuff and things will slow down. The beginning kinda felt like the author was testing the waters and seeing what works. Now that the Orc Lord has been dealt with, some new antagonists have been build up. Things are at a point where I feel the series can really start now.

Moments like these are easily inserted at random points.

Maybe. They really shortened the meeting Milim was in, and skipped some important stuff to do it (actually important, not just little touches that flesh out the world like the dwarves' reactions to the Tempest Wolves). If they have to go that far I don't think they're going to have the time to put in any side stuff.

Onean fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 25, 2019

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Ehhh. I think it was just alright. From just a pure anime angle it's mostly okay, except the whole bit about Frey comes out of nowhere, which is what I was worried about. They also really smoothed over the expedition, which was expected and isn't inherently bad, except they did it really badly. Now they're just a mercenary band that flakes on a major job and scams their employer for no reason except more money. They might go into more detail next episode, but if they don't that's a really disappointing change that completely changes some characters.

We also lost one of my most favorite set of scenes, but they were minor so that's whatever.

Onean fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 28, 2019

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
They're close enough for me. (Something about invertebrates just messes with me, though crabs aren't as bad as most.)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Mordaedil posted:

She switches around, because it's fun.

I'll be surprised if she does in the anime. The new outfit is what she's wearing in the ED, and I don't think they're going to have time to show her in different outfits.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'm happily surprised they showed another outfit for Milim. Cool.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Mulderman posted:

There have been pretty much 0 stakes this entire series. So this is nothing new.

Now that you've said it, this is basically the biggest problem I have with the adaptation. The anime has either skimmed over, reduced or skipped every incident that would raise the tension, even as admittedly small as they get. This is a very chill series and there's rarely much tension, don't get me wrong, but there's supposed to be some uncertainty going into meeting the stronger spirits and it now seems to be completely smoothed over. There's been other situations too, like the Orc Lord, the negotiations with the Beast Kingdom, so much concerning the Demon Lords, Rimuru's trip to the kingdom he's in now. It's disappointing.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Captain_duck posted:

Man They dont even name the new golem ramiris gets to save on time... and then the other half of the episode is loving recap. Did they run out of money or something? What a weird end.

I think you already know, but for anyone else who hasn't read any of the source material, if they hadn't had the recap they would have had to write an even more different ending or it would've ended on a much more frustrating cliffhanger.

Nullsmack posted:

wait, did the anime just end then?

I believe the main stuff has, with an extra episode to come. Plus whatever other stuff they're going to do later, but I don't know if anything else has actually been announced.

I thought the anime started very strong, but started stumbling after the Orc Lord arc. They cut so much. A lot of it was small bits and pieces that didn't really matter, but some of them were really important, especially in this last third of the anime. (I don't think any of the following really needs to be spoiled since it's just a very light overview of some of the stuff that was skipped, but I'll do it anyways just in case or if anyone wants to read the source material and doesn't want to know.) Basically everything from the Demon Lords except Milim and Clayman, and even they got hit. I'm still really disappointed in how they handled Yohm and his group. The merchant was really weird, because none of what catches Rimuru's eye is there, so he just seemingly accepts this guy based off the merchant wanting to say thanks and paying for a meal for the kids. Last week Ramiris straight up tells Rimuru that he can just make a stronger spirit out of weaker ones, then this week is completely surprised when he does exactly that. There's the lines about summoning a demon, which have no weight in the anime because Rimuru learns how on his trip to find the kids, but that entire arc was cut.

If you did like this anime and like (or want to give it a try) reading manga and/or light novels, I very heavily recommend giving them a go. I think either one is a better version, and the official translations are perfectly fine. If you only pick one, I'd say go for the manga. It's an easier read and doesn't skip any major stuff, along with some extra Veldora stuff. The LN has more little bits of world building and a few minor events that didn't make it to the manga, plus more of Rimuru's internal monologue.

The official manga translations end just after the Charybdis fight, with the next volume out tomorrow. (After stopping just after the anime started... Hmmmm...) The fan translation for the manga and the official LN release are just a little farther than the anime, basically the point it would have ended on if they hadn't had the recap/rewrite to make for a less frustrating ending.

In a more light-hearted direction though, the artist that did the illustrations for the LN, Mitz Vah, posted some art of the kids today:
https://twitter.com/mitz_vah/status/1105127824648626177?s=19

Onean fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 11, 2019

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

doomrider7 posted:

This was the point. Some time ago, the reddit contact mentioned that the bulk of the anime committee was from Kodansha hence the rushed feeling and it ending EXACTLY where the manga currently is. It's actually pretty damned slick of an idea.

I think it's a lovely idea, weakening a likely more popular product to sell more of another.

Edit: I took a look at some of Mitz Vah's other art posted on Twitter and wanted to share these too:
https://twitter.com/mitz_vah/status/1083329849828098048?s=19
https://twitter.com/mitz_vah/status/1067791590947618816?s=19
https://twitter.com/mitz_vah/status/1052279353793437696?s=19

Onean fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Alfredo Jones posted:

So now that the anime has "ended", I'm thinking of picking up either the manga or the LN. I usually prefer mangas since I'm a pleb who prefers pretty pictures over walls of text, but I was wondering which of the two expands on the story more than the anime did. I've really come to love this series and the world it's building so I want to see as much of it as I can.

Yeah, the LN definitely has more of what you're looking for. If you bounce off it (it is the early work of a relatively inexperienced writer that was then translated into a different language; while it's good there's still rough patches) I'd say give the manga a try. There's still a good bit of detail there, plus the bonus Veldora chapters.