Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Then, as is becoming isekai tradition, encounters a catgirl slave and ends up helping her out and she is grateful.

But unlike other bad isekai, he helps her as only a sword can, and makes sure the slavers don't stay a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It's showing how being a monster with a name is a Big Deal, and Rimuru Tempest has two of them! From a dragon!

Part of me thinks that without that, he wouldn't have survived the cave, even with Protagonist Powers!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Re zero is a harem, but it's the baron's harem. Subaru is a part of it.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Psst...

Those other folks in the op hanging out with Rimuru? He makes friends with them too. And so grows goblin/wolf/dwarf village.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
And even if people still want to fight, they can see what Rimuru and Co. Can make, plus a hundred or so hobgoblin and a slime that eats fire gods.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

lunar detritus posted:

I was fully on board with the spider isekai until she got multiple personalities as a power. It's ingenious but it just degrades into a mess of superpowers after that.

You're gonna hate the spinoff then...

https://mangadex.org/title/39473/kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka-daily-life-of-the-four-spider-sisters

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

doomrider7 posted:

Not sure to be honest, but I don't think it's rooted in as deeply.

I call it the "One Piece Paradox". The series is STAGGERINGLY popular in it's home country of Japan and East Asia in general, but it's presence outside of it especially in the states is lukewarm. Obviously One Piece is MUCH more popular now(and in general to be honest), but compared to the heights that it's contemporaries in Bleach and Naruto had, it never really measured up here in the states.

The same could be said for Slime and a number of other isekai I feel like. Overlord, Konosuba, Re:Zero, Tanya, are likely bigger in the LN circuit with Slime still being a major player, but slightly trailing some or most of these, but it dominates in manga sales in ways these can't and the merch and other associated materials seem to just have it dominate. Mind you I don't follow the numbers for these other ones, but when you show up as the #1 highest grossing media franchise for the first half of 2019 beating out the behemoths that are Idolmasters and Love Live, that just speaks for itself.

Edit: I have no idea where most of the voting is coming from, but my best guess is Japan based on most of the results.

One Piece's failure is 100% due to 4Kids. It's like a crash-course on how not to handle a product. Once it was in better hands it started recovering, but it's still tainted by assosciation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Classic 'Suddenly encountering people who aren't paid to believe him' syndrome. Next he'll say he was too honourable to stop being friends with Epstein and he is unable to sweat.