Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I had a twitter friend recommend Sword Dad to me after I watched this too, lol. It's good fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Clarste posted:

One one hand this is a pretty blatant power fantasy where the MC immediately gets godlike powers for no particular reason, while on the other hand it seems pretty cute and harmless and I hope they move on from being lord of this goblin village to becoming the benevolent king of all monsters or something.

It seems like a very benign sort of power fantasy - a sort of wide-eyed "what if I had cool powers and could make tons of friends and help lots of people!!" sort of tone rather than a more straight forwardly flattering or "badass" one. Combined with how well produced and funny the visuals are and you get a pretty entertaining watch, if not necessarily a *super* meaningful one.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It would be more of a problem if the show weren't as well-produced as it is so far, but the animators are clearly having a great time with Slime-kun and his attendant visual gags, and that's largely carrying the show even when the writing's a little dull IMO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hunky Hobgobs, Graceful Goblinas, a cute episode.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

the slimem an was watch goblin slayer before he died

He clearly didn't take any of that vicious slander against our cute friends to heart.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Wait - is this one cour or two

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

I assumed 1 but it turns out it's 24 episodes. nice. :toot: That explains why the intro has stuff from so late in the manga.

Ah, cool. Just hope they can keep up the high animation standard all the way through.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sulimu-desu

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like this series can get by without as much meaningful conflict because the visual comedy is pretty on point and the general tone is enough of a "Gee-whiz, there's lots of cool stuff in this world huh" sort of thing that it almost works in the same way that an easygoing slice'o'life show does.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I feel like the writing's getting more comfortable with jokes that aren't just physical comedy with Rimuru's gooey figure. Show's rounding into form nicely IMO, consistently pleasant watch. I really hope the show doesn't lose sight of this village building goal we've got right now, building a friendly village of monsters and humans by doing good deeds for people with skills or connections ala Ni No Kuni 2 or something seems like a very charming and likable sort of premise, fits will with the show's overall demeanor.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shizu's definitely interesting. I sure wasn't expecting 'firebombed WWII orphan' to be a backstory in this story, and I'm slightly leery of how the writing's going to handle such a touchy subject, but we're off to a solid enough start.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I like this show and all, but hoo boy I hope Shizu isn't about to get fridged, especially in light of Rimuru presumably wearing her face going forwards.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Vorpal Cat posted:

Wouldn't Shizu have to become Rimuru's girlfriend first for it to count as getting fridged? Considering she's 80 something years old at this point it looks more like she might get three days from retiremented.

That would make it worse, yeah, and it wouldn't completely turn me off the show or anything if she died, but introducing a cool, interesting female character so that she can promptly die to further the motivations of the hero is still kinda lame no matter how well you spin it.

Also the hero then presumably taking on her face adds a mildly weird dimension to the whole thing IMO.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

If you don't mind spoilers and want a bit of context: the Ifrit was artificially extending her life. Without it, she starts rapidly aging to the point of death. Rimuru, feeling a sense of kinship with her and acting as sort of her deathbed confessor asks to take on any burdens she's still carrying so she can pass on peacefully. She imparts both the anger at the dude who summoned her and some other stuff that I won't spoil since it relates to later splot threads.

So, it is totally "woman dies to give the protagonist a sense of purpose," but it's probably the least offensive framing of the trope one could imagine. It's also pretty weird that he eats her and that is honestly not given enough context, at least in the manga.

Man, if you're gonna do it that's a decent enough way to do it, I suppose, but...jeeze. Would really have liked to have kept Shizu around, even if not in a combat role.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Maybe also worth mentioning that while Shizu is the first capable and well-characterized woman in the story, she isn't the last and so far as I know (again, haven't read the LN) they aren't habitually killed off.

That certainly helps, thanks.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Can also confirm that Bookwalker is legit, albeit rather janky, fwiw

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I mean "legit" has hardly anything to do with it, CyberPower's PowerDVD is "legit" but it still tries to install extraneous unwanted programs and pops up random ads on my computer whenever I launch it.

Bookwalker has not appeared to do anything of the sort when I've used it. :shrug:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, that they went slow and careful here is one of the only reasons this episode even remotely worked. The core concept of it is too weird and relies too much on a cool lady character's death to really land well emotionally without that big, long, respectful scene of Shizu's confession and her passing. I'm mildly shocked that it all worked as well as it did on me. Almost kind of echoes Majora's Mask, of all things?

Weird show. Good show. Glad it exists.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The fact that she was actually dying of old age that Ifrit had just been forestalling also helps lighten the fridging out a bit than if she had actually been in her prime as she appeared. It's still not an entirely satisfying turn, but given that people in here with spoilers insist that the story doesn't make a habit of that, it doesn't bother me too badly.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

I also like that she doesn't even care about revenge against Leon. Rather she wanted to make him confront what he did and acknowledge her as a person.

That bit in particular is, like, shockingly smart and thoughtful considering how light and goofy the show's run had been up to this point.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Don't treat it like an action show, treat it like a slice of life and you'll have a much better time IMO.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I like that the fight ends with our conquering hero dusting himself off, going "hey, no harm no foul", and inviting the vanquished to a feast back in his town.

This show isn't deep, but it's positive and charismatic.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

That kick was the most well-animated thing in the whole episode.

Also, I have no idea if this was the author's intent, but making Rimuru's human form completely androgynous is a very concise way to head off all the creepy speculation that tends to arise with non-binary characters.

Given that Rimuru still seems to think of himself as a male, I don't get the impression that the author was going for a serious portrayal of a non-binary experience - though any NB folks reading this are certainly welcome to correct me. But it is nice how after the initial shock of 'oh I don't have junk anymore' Rimuru just kind of goes like "ah well, guess I didn't really need that" instead of getting weird and "CAN'T BE A MAN WITHOUT MY NUTS" about it.

I also like that he's weirded out by getting too close to Shizue's form more because he doesn't want to outright steal her face than because he doesn't want to appear feminine. The show's taking a very easy-going and earnest approach to the whole angle that I hope it keeps up.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

....son of a bitch

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Good ogres, cute ogres, look at all these new friends. Hakurou's my favorite I think.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah admittedly I'm behind a couple eps, but thus far I feel like it's helped a lot that Rimuru hasn't, as far as I can recall, actually asked for or even confirmed anyone's loyalty. They just give it freely in exchange for the favors Rimuru does them, and while "they're not my followers, they're my friends" is an old cliche I don't think it feels altogether inappropriate here. That doesn't make the scenario magically free of colonialist undertones or make the characters any deeper, but it does lend the story a certain earnest and optimistic nature that makes me inclined to give it a bit of leeway IMO.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rimuru absolving Geld of his sins could probably have felt a little more earned and less abrupt than it did, but it's still the sort of surprisingly compassionate turn that embodies the best of this show, so I'm glad for it nonetheless. Last two eps were kind of whatever to me, but this one made me really glad I caught up. Rimuru's a good slime with a good heart and good pals.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

I'm wondering if we're looking at a cour 3 judging by the opening now. Jeez, what the heck?

I feel like I remember hearing somewhere that a season 2 is *very* likely after we're done here. Can't remember where, mind, so take that with a grain of salt.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I appreciate the new OP and ED doubling down on depicting Rimuru's highest vision: A world in which people of all races have sure access to nice housing, delicious food, and free slime hugs :3:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Besties! Besties! Besties!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I would legit like Milim's design a lot if they just gave her a skirt or some leggings or something beyond just her underwear. I like the top half of her design a lot.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shuffle posted:

Were those baby slimes in the hot spring bath?

I think they're Rimuru-brand bath bombs or some such

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Patware posted:

the sound mixing upward when gabiru ate that haymaker made me lose my god drat mind

The timing on that bit and a lot of the comedy with Milim is so good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Padoru Padoru

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

I feel like the show has settled into a formula with the last few episodes and I'm not sure I like it. This one in particular felt a bit light a rushed.

Also, I'm curious why the OP and ED both give us a quick scene with Shizue right at the start. She's dead and gone, and hasn't been mentioned, even through subtext, in quite a while. I'll be disappointed of she just comes back to life later after her harrowing death episode.

Because hearing her last wish was a critical character moment for Rimuru and Rimuru still carries her form and memory with him at all times?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I for one am looking forward to Rimuru enduring the trials of parenthood

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Goddess Rimuru's design was much better in the manga, holy poo poo

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011