Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's a bro among bros. :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The one thing I'm glad is that it was high time that we found a proper rival to Rin Tohsaka. Tsunderes of that stature just don't come along all that often. :mmmhmm:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my god! That Tarzan yell! :kimchi:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I couldn't stop imagining Sugitmoto whenever Ranga spoke. :mmmhmm:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

I feel like this series can get by without as much meaningful conflict because the visual comedy is pretty on point and the general tone is enough of a "Gee-whiz, there's lots of cool stuff in this world huh" sort of thing that it almost works in the same way that an easygoing slice'o'slife show does.
FTFY, but yeah, that's the feel I'm getting from this series.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Donnerberg posted:

If you don't mind a slow first half of a show, it ends up great.

Re:Zero undermines the isekai power fantasy in its own way. The guy who made it is a friend with the guy behind Konosuba, and there's similarities in how they treat the MC even though the shows are completely different in tone.

First and foremost though, it's a must-see for people who enjoy time fuckery like Groundhog Day, Stein's;Gate and All You Need Is Kill / Edge of Tomorrow.
:yeah:

Also, if you like borderline Saw-esque horror at times, Re:Zero has that going on for it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

:siren:Spoiler Policy:siren:
Don't post untagged manga or LN spoilers, and preferably just don't post that stuff at all until it comes up in the show. Anything in the current episode is a-ok to be untagged, even if you're coming here fresh off viewing it. The airtime is provided below so assume any posts after that point could have spoilers/"spoilers" for the new episode.
While I can understand the excitement of the goons who've been following this story since the Web Novel/Light Novel version seeing Slime of Life go places, do try to keep the guideline dogsicle requested (which I bolded in the quote) and keep WN/LN spoiler talk as light as possible; this is a 2-cour show so I think it'd be best to keep as much of the story certified fresh™ as possible. Thanks. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

Question, I'm not very big into anime, how common is it for shows like this to get additional seasons?
If an anime manages to either:
  1. Make a good deal of moolah via DVD/Blu-Ray sales, or...
  2. Ups the sales of the source material in a significant manner (in this case could be either the OG Light Novels or the Manga Adaptations)
Then it'd be slightly likely that it's getting an additional season/movie and so on. Sometimes, a committee has already agreed to do additional seasons and it's just taking a break.

At the end of the day, tho'?

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Fun Isekai shows?

*thinks about Devil Is A Part-Timer, No Game No Life, Re-Zero*

Uhh, temper your expectations. KonoSuba got a second season so it's not unprecedented.
Cipher Pol 9's reply is often the most adequate. There are things like Overlord that got 3 seasons already, as mentioned by SpartanIvy. Konosuba got fairly popular and it's getting a movie (and apparently also either additional OVA's or another season?). Sometimes it takes time. Like, Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online were already fairly big successes as a manga and Light Novel respectively, but their respective 1st Season simulcasts through Crunchyroll and their subsequent streaming rights that got them into Netflix pushed them into the "monstrously popular" category. And at times studios already have stuff lined up, so it can't happen immediately despite people clamoring for it.

Hell, people have been waiting for One Punch Man's 2nd season for the better part of 3 years. Attack on Titan had to wait almost 4 years between season 1 and 2. Sword Art Online had a relatively quicker turnaround from its 1st season ending in December 2012 to the 2nd season starting in July 2014. Same with KonoSuba getting 2 seasons in a little under a year.

TL;DR It's kind of a crapshoot, sometimes? :shobon:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, a lot of times it can be that. Again, it varies from case to case. I mean, very slight spoilers on a different series, but pretty much everything that's gonna happen on A Certain Magical Index's 3rd season (currently airing) has already been out in the light novels for an actual decade. It's the whole reason I'm mostly staying out of the SAO: Alicization thread, since I read the final novel of that arc (which I think was also the end of the OG Web Novel) two years ago.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

Wow, that was way more answers and way more in-depth than I was expecting, but thanks, everyone. The idea of adaptation as advertisement isn't something I even considered. I guess cause that model doesn't really exist in western media, where it's always expected that any adaptation will be more lucrative than the source material if successful.

I definitely get the frustration over shows petering out. I hate unfinished stories, and the idea you'd have a medium where that's commonplace is pretty mind-boggling to me.
To be honest, I bolded the part which I did because it varies from case to case. Like, yeah, some movies are obviously just going to be making money to people from that product itself, but companies like Disney that probably project to make a mint off of Star Wars from the movies alone (Solo underperforming notwithstanding), but the amount of merchandise Star Wars stuff gets you ain't nothing to sneeze at. Same goes for Marvel (I guess also Disney, because of course) and let's not even get into how much more moolah Batman generates from merchandise alone. Probably a goon here has the numbers better than I do.

Like, one of my college friends has literally spent thousands of dollars in both Superman (his childhood hero) and Star Wars paraphernalia: Like, action figures, funko pop thingies, pajamas for his 2 kids, books, posters, the whole shebang. Hell, he has all three Attack on Titan nendos, even though he used to be not a fan of anime (I'm partiall to blame on that last one :shobon:). Because people like my college buddy exist, things like western movies and such can totally work as an advertisement of sorts, because people still want to own physical things of the media they love.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

doomrider7 posted:

I have copies of the released LN's for those interested. Will post the link to the download page if there's interest for them. I also know of a site that has the official manga on it
Since the novels have an official release in the west, no :filez:, please. :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

:siren:Spoiler Policy:siren:
Don't post untagged manga or LN spoilers, and preferably just don't post that stuff at all until it comes up in the show. Anything in the current episode is a-ok to be untagged, even if you're coming here fresh off viewing it. The airtime is provided below so assume any posts after that point could have spoilers/"spoilers" for the new episode.
Yeah, this rule is still in place. If it's gonna happen in the anime, don't talk about it here.

We have a thread for the manga/LN's. If you wanna talk about those and how the anime varies, seems sensible enough to do so there.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, so the anime is just straight up skipping stuff (I put this show on hold until it's finished, so I haven't followed anything after episode 4)? If instead of doing things differently from the OG Novels/the manga adaptation the anime is straight up leaving content by the wayside to the point that it seems fairly unlikely that it'll revisit it, then yeah, that's a bit trickier.

Hmm.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
OK, after sweating like a gosh darn pig for 50 minutes, here's the deal:
  • Doom, I know you put (or try to) everything behind spoiler tags. Keep that up. I'd recommend you to put some warning before the spoiler-tagged content like (some stuff that the anime skipped from the manga/novels) things skipped go here or some-such. I'm sure there's gonna be goons who find it interesting to know what's been left on the cutting room floor. Hell, I'm often intrigued by things that don't make it to the final product for x or y reason, but sometimes, my endless curiosity has gotten the better of me and I feel that I've "ruined" some shows/movies/games/books/etc for myself by skimming through spoilers here and elsewhere, and I guess it's the feeling that a lot of goons want to express here: of not knowing what's behind the spoiler tags. That way, if they're not curious they can just skip your post and find out on their own by checking the novels/manga.
  • That said, if it's spoilers from stuff down the road that hasn't even been mentioned and might still happen, yeah, don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e: double post, for some dadgum readon. :confused: