Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Knorth posted:

There wasn't even a truck! :colbert:

A random guy running in to stab someone is like, even more of a "got hit by a truck" than actually getting hit by a truck. I know that makes no sense, but I've seen that exact bit of stabbery all the time in my precious mangas (including as a new development in one I just marathoned to catch up on tonight, my guilty pleasure manga domestic na kamojo), so it suits me just fine as an isekai-causing death.

Caught some of the manga on this one and liked what I saw generally, first episode was fine but didn't draw me in immediately. I remember it getting to fun times pretty quickly though, so I'll stay tuned on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I guess when you've got Predator evolution becomes redundant. Slimes are the best monsters after all, why else would there be so many Isekai involving them???

I've only heard of this one, I'm curious if there are other slime focused ones.

Gotta catch up on the manga now too, I remember enjoying it but then didn't follow up with it after I caught up to where it was.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Marathoned the manga tonight, wowee there's a lot of fun stuff there, though some of the character gag traits wore a bit thin, and really should have been resolved by slimey taking the time to explain why the behavior wasn't acceptable. Really only his secretary's character traits seemed off to me, for the above reason and the other major one because it's such a cliche.

There's quite a few reasonable end points for the anime, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. Probably going to be a short term peak of fun animated stuff in the dwarven kingdom, so be sure to tune to the next episode or two folks!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Interesting, when I was checking out the manga available on scanlation sites I thought it would end before the latest chapters in the manga, just based on the pacing so far even at a 24 episode 2 cour situation. If they get further I'm all for it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm hoping that Rimiru surprisingly being one hell of a smooth operator comes up in the next episode, that's a fun moment.

I'd put this story at a notch under KonoSuba in terms of how horny the protagonist is, overall he just is really into elves and enjoying being in civilization at last, if I were to read a bit into it. Later on there's a fair number of women really being into him, being jealous if others show interest, etc., but he's pretty content to just chill out on ladies' laps.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 25, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Oni's are a factor before too long, I don't think that's not much of a spoiler.

I'm glad Rimuru being smooth was included. Sadly he doesn't go on to make his own hostess club as far as I know, in his shoes it'd be my first priority to get ELF-U's at my beck and call.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

I'm surprised the Dwarf King has given up on trying to repair relations with the slime, as he sees it as valuable.

That did surprise me as well, but it's not like that can't be an option for him later. He sends someone to spy on Rimuru, and the dwarf Kingdom is gonna remain this nice place of seeming prosperity and incredible military strength. Getting lots of full potions is nice and all, but trying to make that connection later when you're observed this random monster, how it operates, what it might want, that's not a bad play either.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

The sound design in this episode really is something else. The explosions are top notch, especially.

I really liked the effects, both sound and visual, of the sword exploding what it cut into. I wish that effect was done more often because it was cool as hell and I've rarely seen it, now I want it on all the magic weapons (especially melee weapons like swords) in both animation and video games. Just too cool! I can see it being really pretty and having good sound effects for the other traditional elements of ice and lightning too.

Shizu is real cool as well, as expected.

I've only read the manga, but so far the anime has felt like a good adaptation. The manga isn't exactly fast paced either, though things do pick up when there's more conflict. Nothing really does a straight 1:1 adaptation, this has felt like a good balance so far and I haven't minded what they've cut out or rearranged the presentation of.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Sindai posted:

I certainly forgot how dark Shizu's backstory got.

I don't remember what happened to her poor friend at all from the manga, doesn't seem like the kind of thing I'd forget outright. Maybe that's something from the LN, seems like a bold addition to include that level of tragedy.

Edit: Yeah based on other comments seems like that was in the LN but left out of the manga.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Fun Isekai shows?

*thinks about Devil Is A Part-Timer, No Game No Life, Re-Zero*

Uhh, temper your expectations. KonoSuba got a second season so it's not unprecedented.

Yeah not getting more of those shows in particular stings quite a bit for me. Re-Zero at least seemed like such a phenomenon that it really should just be a "waiting for more source material and the right team" situation more than anything. I know NGNL also was running out of runway when it wrapped and I really liked that as well, though it wasn't the hit that Re:Zero seemed to be.

Usually anime based on manga or light novels end well before the other material wraps up with no second seasons or anything, I just have never picked up the ability to not be disappointed that they didn't keep going and continue the story, and when the source material is already out there in large part or fully complete then that really makes me sad.

The anime my avatar is from Rokka no Yuusha ran in to the most common killer of anime with just not being popular and not selling lots of blu-rays, but man I really liked it and I'd recommend the light novel as well, though even that seems to have stalled out for a few years now.

It's just like any other show I suppose, you want the stuff you like to get as much time as the creators want to tell a good story and not get cancelled, and sometimes even when they hit the ending they wanted you're like "That was only 26 episodes? What the hell I want more!"

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Out of the anime listed recently I have to admit if I could just wave a magic wand and get one to continue it'd be No Game No Life. Devil would be a close second.

Making any anime ever resume or continue is a way tougher call. My first instinct is to just say make more Cowboy Bebop happen, but that had about as solid a conclusion as you can get and there's inherent harm to making more of it that you just don't have on shows that don't continue.

I can't really nail down a show that's for sure worthy of it when given the breadth of all anime, even with my greater than average love for Rokka no Yuusha I can recognize that's totally not the worthiest candidate.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I was expecting him to check out his body in this episode, I hope it's not skipped since it's a fun little moment.

I hope we get to the Oni in the next episode, I've waited long enough for them already!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ogre princess is just as cute as I hoped she would be. I'm a real sucker for priestesses, princesses, and that thing where anime girls have extra long sleeves that cover their hands, so she checks a lot of boxes for me.

Don't expect insane challenges much from this show, but it is a nice one to kick back and relax with, for me anyway.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Without giving much away, there's more of that conflict between groups in the future, though it's debatable how much struggle is involved. And Rimuru definitely runs in to (pretty mild, but I tagged it anyway, nothing explicit)the occasional entity that could 100% kill him and probably all of his allies working together if it wanted to, so it's not like he's presented as a 100% unbeatable force.

We're on the cusp of a pretty major arc that I think will have the tone you're looking for to some degree Nitrous, so my advice is to stick it out for that at least. With that said, ultimately it's more about fun times and gags than serious conflict or Rimuru getting served, so that level of struggle is going to be pretty rare.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

All the ogres only get cooler going forward, though OL, Fire Ogre Leader and Old Man Ogre are the obvious standouts. The one that got punched and KO'd is a sleeper pick too and probably #1 in my personal coolness rankings.

I'm glad that the manga and light novel are movin' copies, that should make a second season pretty darn likely within a year or two.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah I'd take me some more Logs. I already got my unexpected Cowboy Bebop live action thing in the pipeline and a DMC animation, so I'm sufficiently spoiled on potentially cool things to watch coming up.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I mean, plenty of easy merch to do, really high manga sales, lots of material available to adapt on the LN side and over time the manga side as well, I think it's not only going to get renewed into production really quickly but it'll also keep on trucking and adapt all of the story by the end of it, so that'll be fun to see.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Cool that you're doing live watches/group showings, I'm just sad that I can't typically make it since I have a D&D game Monday nights.

No games on Christmas Eve or New Years Eve coming up though, so keep on doing it on those days when lots of people won't be able to make it and I'll try to show up then :thumbsup:.

A fun episode, I don't even mind the evolved forms being slightly less dope sometimes since the princess is still super cute. I don't think she quite has the extra long sleeve thing going on that she does before being named (looks like she does in bits of the episode but not in the ED), so if those poses of her with her hands hidden behind long sleeves don't show up again then I will just be inconsolable.

Also Kazuma Lizard is even more fun than I expected, it really is a fun casting choice.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Fun stuff ahead. I liked that they made the meeting and Dryad's entrance look much more impressive than it did in the manga, seemed like there were more people there, it's got a nice formal building that I don't recall from the manga, and the Dryad entrance was much fancier.

It gives me high hopes for stuff coming up that already looked quite good to my eye in the manga.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Please post the time for the next watchalong, and watchalongs in general, a while in advance if at all possible. I'd like to make it to the next one now that it seems like they aren't all happening late Monday night when I'm busy with d&d. If you want to post the times in EST to make it easy for me I'm all for it, but I can do conversions as necessary. Thanks!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Alright cool, I can make that time frame at least some of the time when my sleep schedule isn't totally borked, I just get busy from 9 p.m. EST through the rest of the night.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Derp and here I got preoccupied and forgot to to show up to the livewatch! Hopefully my sleep schedule won't be so borked it prevents me catching at least a few of them.

Edit: Ogre-hime still has cute extra long sleeves, so this is still a very good show after a very worrisome lack of long sleeves in the last episode!

Edit 2: Souei's just as cool as he was in the manga, so rad!

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 17, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Patrat posted:

I really appreciate that actually, it is explicitly spelled out that his aggressive but sensible tactics under normal circumstances would work, he is being over confident and egotistical but not, in fact, an idiot. He is going to be hosed over by bullshit magic not just being handed an idiot ball and that is even after being hyped by his favour hungry minions and an obvious agent provocateur. It is hardly super subtle but it is decent story telling.

I admit I did think to myself as they did a quick surprise attack and withdrew quickly after that it's not a bad idea to mix that in to the defensive strategy. Have the bulk of the defenses in the labyrinth, but also have scouts keeping tabs on the orcs and a small elite squad doing hit and run attacks where the look vulnerable to reduce their numbers. Gabiru overall seems to be advocating for more of a full bore offense though, which is a real bad idea.

Definitely value in going all-in on defense too, it seems like the best approach if all you want to do is buy time and that's what their overall position and goal should be at this point.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Everyone's attack on the orcs was even cooler to see than I expected, all those black fire nukes going off all over the place were great. The reaction shots on lizards to Souei were super good too.

As fun as it's been so far there's lots of good stuff coming up too, man this is gonna be fun. I'm so glad that the Kijin princess' sleeves remained long so that I can't even have that bug me about this fine show.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

On the subject of Gobta being the best and real cool, he does get his reward before too long. He also gets a nice sword eventually.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Gobta really hit the character lottery in the naming process. All those other goblins got names and turned into pretty hobgoblins but are relegated to essentially generic populace and never heard from again, but Gobta gets to look the same but be the strongest of standard goblins and be cool on the front lines and kicking both Lizard and Orc butt.

His power-ups should keep coming from Rimuru screwing him over too, that'll never get old to me.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah skipping more stuff now, but it's not the end of the world.

Harlequin Tear has my full endorsement as a character as she joins Oni-Hime in the extra-long sleeved female character club.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Sad that they didn't work in Yuuki being curious about how FMA ended, I liked that reference. Glad they kept that manga printing in, with how the conversation was going I was worried they were going to skip it. The huge manga pile in the room really came across well in the anime too.

Lame to skip quite a bit of stuff, but that's kind of par for the course for any adaptation. Now that it's a big hit and they know that before the next season, my hope is that they really take their time and don't leave stuff like that out, kind of get every episode they can out of this hot property by covering everything. It's got tons of slow-paced slice of life elements too so it's not like you're hurting the pacing. Find that nice middle ground where you include basically everything from the LN and manga to some degree, but don't go on as deep a dive into the worldbuilding.

By which I mean give us the stuff described in Conot's post but leave out the details on the trade economy or sewer systems or whatever wild details I've heard the LN goes into.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Conot posted:

I'm not sure I agree at all that Mjormiles introduction was better done here. They cut out a major sidebit that does a lot to explain why Rimuru is okay with this random merchant.

If I had to guess, when they were pitching this anime to companies that would later make up the production committee, they overhyped the fights and undersold the SoL/worldbuilding aspects, because right now they seem to be rushing from fight to fight, trying to avoid any downtime at all if they can.

Which is fine, I guess, fights make good anime content, but it feels like they're skipping over some of the best parts to get there.

Also boo at goddess Rimuru outfit change

Was gonna come to post like exactly this. I think I like the stuff with the kids more in the anime, certainly the fights were much cooler, but the introduction to the merchant is just miles better in the manga, it's no comparison really. It could have been done in just like one more minute of screen time too, not a lot of effort for a lot of pay-off in my opinion.

I mean, by far the biggest crime is cutting out another appearance of The fortune telling elf as the person who shows Rimuru where the spirits are.

Put those together and this is probably the frontrunner in the series so far for not giving me manga scenes I wanted to see.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 28, 2019

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Oh man I forgot that we would have seen the second elf club visit by now. I really hope that's in an OVA or something, I loved everything about that whole situation.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Probably gonna go LN hunting now as well, don't want to be left hanging on this cliffhanger super long.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Manga just took a turn I didn't expect, going to be fun to see the anime deal with this. I get where Rimuru's coming from here, but even just this could be enough to make some people (a minority to be sure, but some) really not think of him as a good guy anymore, if things go in the direction they seem to be going. Depends on how much they humanize enemy soldiers I suppose.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I remembered last season ending with a clash against the completely overpowered church woman, but I guess that was just a tease of the character showing up instead? If that had happened, then based on what I recall of the manga we'd be getting right into some big-deal plot stuff right away.

I guess this means I get to see that fight this season though, so that's fine with me! I feel like this season will just get us up to right before the recent Demon Lord meeting in the manga, though with the delay from the season being split they'll have room to go up to that and a bit further without getting ahead of the manga (which I'm sure is their preference to keep that sweet cross-media consumption going).

It's not Rimuru's style, but I'd of gotten a kick out of him showing off most of his power to the emissaries. Culturally, I feel like immediately putting them in their place would have been what they would be expecting, and I don't think it would have been a diplomatic misstep the way that pulling off big power feats in a human city would be, for example.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ah okay, that does all check out then. They basically have to get up to where the manga is now, or maybe a bit further than it's at now, by the end of the 2nd cour, so I'm quite content with that. There's a very logical cliffhanger spot to leave things off at too, and I feel like things are going slow enough that it'd pretty much line up with that.

I'd prefer to get right into the action, primarily because I'm tuned in to the worldbuilding stuff from season 1 and the manga, but any amount of general worldbuilding/side plot stuff is acceptable in an episode if it means we get to see Rimuru swing by the elf cafe.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 28, 2021

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Gyges posted:

Considering how much I've liked the sound in the series so far, I'm really looking forward to what they do to set the atmosphere for despair and rage break Rimuru.

Yeah I wasn't expecting a sudden song there at the end, though it would have been a lot more impactful if they had committed to the idea that Myulan was singing and thrown in some mouth flap movement. As it was I got the sense that was the idea being conveyed, but the non-moving mouth just kind of muddied things up. I'm also now looking forward to what music they may have in mind for the big moments coming down the line, particularly since the music in season 1 didn't really grab me. If there's at least one absolute banger of a music/animation combo (or just a really good track) I'd consider it a big success.

I'm also digging the latest chapters of the manga a lot too! It's fun to see what Benimaru's big desire was in his power-up, and I hope we get to see some details of what his skill allows him to do, similar to how we got a bit of a description of Shuna's. The manga and anime never give all the lengthy nerdy stat stuff/naming details that are present in the light novel versions of Isekai properties, but I'm hopeful we'll get some good ones down the line.

By the way, my take on the current state of the manga is that Nobody really knows how much Rimuru has powered up to at this point and he'd definitely be a pain to manage in a fight, but the hidden ace up his sleeve is the massive power boost that his country full of monsters recently got. I'm sure Clayman's getting stomped before too long, but I'm kind of hoping Rimuru marching up to him with a big gently caress-off army plays a major part in how that happens.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Well, it was a fun Slife while it lasted.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Hinata's kill in 7 hits ability is a fun reminder that any "I only need to hit anything X times and it dies" ability is completely overpowered bullshit. Obviously the assassin squad captain from Bleach's ability to do that in 2 hits to the same spot is the most ridiculous example of that type of skill.

There's a biiiig stretch of the Bleach manga that should have just been her soloing all kinds of opponents because she was fast enough to smack em twice in a spot quickly without taking the time to explain what her power is, or even announce her presence before trying to go in for the kill.

It's also fun to realize based on how dumb Milim has seemed so far, if Hinata just walked up to her and challenged her to a sparring match without letting on about what her gimmick is, Hinata could probably kill her.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm definitely surprised at how some stuff was revealed here, but I guess they're waiting for later to have it make more impact.

Gonna be fun to see Rimuru and Tempest in full war mode, since we haven't really seen that since the Orc Lord arc and they're all significantly stronger now.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Hey I got to see the massacre begin with proper anime vocals and cool VFX, I drat sure can't complain.

Kind of a lot to cover in the one episode remaining from this half of the cour, but if we stay focused on Rimuru I think we should be able to fit most of it in and go into the break at a sensible point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

Good question. LN didn't show it per se, but it did make it clear that she used her skill to skin him repeatedly, and the manga showed some FMA looking abomination in a cell when they go to interrogate him so who knows how they'll go.

I think going for about 80% of the manga's level on that is the way to go. Set a tone that Rimuru and co. aren't loving around and are pissed, but don't make it so extreme that it'll make parents not want their kids watching. Maybe make good use of some censoring shadows so that you definitely get the idea without making it too graphic.