Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I hope you guys are right about this being fun. I can see the potential in the first ep and look forward to the next.

In the meantime, that sword manga is pretty good :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
This is exactly the kind of ridiculousness that I love. Slimes riding wolves, wolves and goblins living together in communal cities, this has been a lot of fun so far.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
That got pretty dark with the broiled pokemon and trainer :(

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

That would make it worse, yeah, and it wouldn't completely turn me off the show or anything if she died, but introducing a cool, interesting female character so that she can promptly die to further the motivations of the hero is still kinda lame no matter how well you spin it.

Also the hero then presumably taking on her face adds a mildly weird dimension to the whole thing IMO.

The promo stuff doesn't seem to imply this is going to happen...

But I haven't read any of the source material so I don't know.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah, just yesterday I thought I was spoiler free and after randomly browsing through some of the tankobon covers I was like “Oh. drat it.”

So if anyone else wants to remaking spoiler-free as an anime-only, don’t look at the manga covers!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

kater posted:

Also this last episode was criminally boring for how well animated it was.

I think it helps to think of this show as a weird slice of slife thing rather than isekai action.

It’s usually the little things I really enjoy here, like when the wolf starts wagging his tail when Fire Girl said she liked their village.

[edited to reflect some very good suggestions from another poster]

Agronox fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 13, 2018

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Devil is a Part Timer ruled and I badly want more of it.

It’s up there for me with Haruhi S3 and Love Lab S2 for things I just have to acknowledge I will never get regardless of how much I’d like to.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Yinlock posted:

Haruhi kind of kneecapped itself with the endless eight thing which, while ballsy as hell, was boring in excecution

Yeah, it definitely hurt fan enthusiasm for sure. I sort of admire it from a distance, but I probably would've lost my mind if I was watching it weekly as it happened.

And, as others mentioned, there's not much point in doing it without new LNs to promote.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Vorpal Cat posted:

This is one place where the anime is definitely much better paced than the manga, Shizu's entire deathbed scene was only 5 pages in the manga. Giving much more emotional weight to one of the most pivotal moments in the story which was sorely lacking it.

I’m pretty sure I’m in the minority on this one but I thought this was the 2nd weakest episode so far and kind of padded out. Would probably have preferred the manga here.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Sindai posted:

Finally I understand why the WN sometimes digressed into paragraphs on the details of constructing a city in a forest full of monsters and building a safe transportation network to nearby civilizations.

What are those trenches for in the city construction scenes? Are they putting in sewers?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
You LN readers have been alluding to it, but I didn't think they'd get that explicit about Rimuru being that Christ-like.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The only thing I didn't like about this episode, and it's only happening because this is an adaptation and the original text doesn't really have to worry about it, is how everyone just stands around while important things are happening because the plot demands it.

"Oh, he's eating him." Well why are you just watching?!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

mostly because a ton of that volume is stuff like post war peace talks and explaining everyone's realignment going on

I could understand them not wanting to animate it, but that sounds super interesting. Maybe I’ll read the manga at some point.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
As someone who watches anime at the gym, this is an one I kinda had to try to hide.

Fun ep nevertheless. Good reaction faces.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Patware posted:

lizard sister was way cooler before she was a standard anime

I know this one’s a losing battle but I preferred Rimuru before he had a human form too.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Not knowing the source material, I felt like things went WAY too fast in this episode. It's the first time I thought that they must be skimping on a lot of background because some of the character motivations don't make much sense.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Shuffle posted:

Two creepy clown like figures come up to you at your campfire in the middle of a spooky forest in the middle of the night, offering you immense power.

"Hmm, these guys seem legit"

duz posted:

After all, they are the moderate harlequin alliance not the evil harlequin alliance.

I got a decent chuckle out of that.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Catching up on this thread. I also dropped after the sky whale arc. Maybe I’ll just read the manga.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

Go for it man. It's a lot more detailed. Check out the LN as well.

Excellent, because that’s more what I’m looking for. Some of the diplomacy / trade stuff you and others have mentioned sounds interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

Slime manga is #1 on Bookwalker for 2nd year in a row.

https://bookwalker.jp/ex/feature/2019year_ranking/

Hooray for a Kaguya volume at #5 there. Not as much Demon Slayer as I would've expected.