Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Baron Corbin posted:

i'm going to ask a serious question, don't make fun of me for this. does Fox care about these ratings?

Right now Fox think they'll fix it once they're airing it because people will care about the product more when it's on Fox than USA

When the quality still sucks and the ratings keep dropping even while on there, it won't be ignored for long at the price they paid for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

At least its good to see the ratings starting to reflect the quality

Vince will chalk it up to the problem being other sports existing and trot out more old wrestlers to try to offset that, though

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Baron Corbin posted:

i'm going to ask a serious question, don't make fun of me for this. does Fox care about these ratings?

they will once its actually on their network and still getting the same numbers

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Chris James 2 posted:

Right now Fox think they'll fix it once they're airing it because people will care about the product more when it's on Fox than USA

When the quality still sucks and the ratings keep dropping even while on there, it won't be ignored for long at the price they paid for it

so then what happens? do they cancel it like Firefly? do they move it to some lovely network fox owns where it will keep doing the same numbers?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
FOX only bought the thing for that much money because they think it'll do good ratings.

Both FOX and WWE will push the hell out of it at first and it'll probably do pretty drat good numbers. WWE will do a bunch of hot matches and angles, then it'll slop down into the same mediocrity as everything else.

Baron Corbin posted:

so then what happens? do they cancel it like Firefly? do they move it to some lovely network fox owns where it will keep doing the same numbers?

If the ratings suck, they'll probably dump it on FS1.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Baron Corbin posted:

Dumped to FS1 after a year

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I'm sorry I just got a memo in from the Highest Office in the Land and it turns out WWE is 'too big to fail'.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

while i do not doubt vince could convinced trump to give him a bailout in a heartbeat i'm fairly certain congress would still have to appropriate the money

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So what's Vince's plan in ten years? Fifteen years? When all the old-timers and legends are too broke and old to be able to come back?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

jesus WEP posted:

R Truth and Carmella continue to be the best thing on either show, of course

I agree

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Vandar posted:

So what's Vince's plan in ten years? Fifteen years? When all the old-timers and legends are too broke and old to be able to come back?

WWE's longterm plan is that people will go "Yeah, I'm fine with giving WWE $10 a month" and they will able to tell networks "Look at all your dead shows, we will give you 52 weeks of ratings way better than what you currently have" like they have since the Network came out.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Well the thing about Vince's generation is they're going to die soon so none of them give a gently caress about fifteen years from now.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

In interesting world news a Saudi woman just lost a legal battle to marry the man of her choice. He was deemed religiously unfit because he plays a musical instrument.

Such a progressive place. Can't wait for Crown Jewel!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
People would make jokes the ten year plan is Roman in the main. But we have Shawn and Undertaker and Rock coattails 20 years on. If all things do go to plan it will be 20 years of Roman.

We're past 15 years of Randy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Vandar posted:

Vince's plan for fifteen years from now is to have been dead for ten years.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I was reading the ESPN Oral History of Collision in Korea, the 1995 show where 190,000 people watched Flair vs Inoki against their will and also Scott Norton was almost murdered in a basement. It reminded me of Crown Jewel. Can't wait 15 years for the oral history of that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

VJeff posted:

Vince's plan for fifteen years from now is to have been dead for ten years.

Your mistake is thinking that Vince is going to ever die.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Vandar posted:

When all the old-timers and legends are too broke and old to be able to come back?

lol you think this will ever happen

Like, even putting aside that a Raw just ended with Shawn, HHH, Taker, and Kane in the same ring, an upcoming SD (admittedly an anniversary episode) is being hyped with the return of the Evolution stable, including the return of Batista in the process. Batista is a return nostalgia pop. We don't even need to look at SD for some of those, the all-women PPV is going to have return nostalgia pops Lita and Trish. Every week you see return nostalgia pop (slash TV show stars pop) The Bellas

You simply aren't going to see the end of legends or part-timers. You'll just see different generations of stars refuse to let go or avoid coming back long enough that they'll be the new part-timers for fans in another decade

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Shawn's still gonna need money in 20 years, he'll be in the main event of WM 50

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I think that WWE provides content for FOX and as long as it does decent ratings in its expected timeslot, FOX will be happy and WWE will be able to whatever it wants with the product as a result. If ratings continue to slip, they can always put it on a Fox Affiliated channel.

As a thought, when will we consider John Cena and Randy Orton legends that we'll keep bringing back to WWE like we do for HBF and Taker?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Still blows my mind that John Cena learned mandarin for this company

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cena's already at the part-timer stage. Orton was getting there but is doubling down on showing up now that they're giving him an angle he likes, which is "torturing people"

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Ad by Khad posted:

Shawn's still gonna need money in 20 years, he'll be in the main event of WM 50

but by then, Vince's brain-in-a-jar can just commission holograms of HBK in his prime and project them onto local talent

so he should probably line up a plan b, is what I'm saying

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Mr. Carlisle posted:

honestly if you're going to learn a language that will be useful in the next 20 years your best bet is Mandarin or Russian

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I mean I think Mandarin is gonna be pretty useful to Cena in his acting career, dude's in a Transformers movie.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

You two aren't wrong and it is useful - I'm just saying he learned it just to make his company appear more global then by his own account 'got obsessed with the language'.

Now he's vacationing in China. He's living his best Cena life.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Chris James 2 posted:

Cena's already at the part-timer stage. Orton was getting there but is doubling down on showing up now that they're giving him an angle he likes, which is "torturing people"

Honestly given the workaholic Cena is, I don't see him being Part-Time as him being Part-Time, but the company not wanting him to be around and transitioning him to such.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

You two aren't wrong and it is useful - I'm just saying he learned it just to make his company appear more global then by his own account 'got obsessed with the language'.

Now he's vacationing in China. He's living his best Cena life.

hilariously while he may have learned mandarin for wwe, its going to make him even more attractive to movie companies because then they can send a star to do movie promo stuff to the PRC

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think even back in 2016 when he learned it Cena sorta knew in the back of his head he was gonna be in Pictures and Mandarin would be real useful for that. But he did probably mostly learn it for the company, which is pretty wild. And the fact that he's using it to just live in China for a while now is pretty great. Cena rules.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Chinese are likely suspicious of John ever since he learned their language and he cannot be seen. He is obviously working for Vince McMahon as a proxy of the White House to spy on Chinese military secrets.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Chris James 2 posted:

lol you think this will ever happen

Like, even putting aside that a Raw just ended with Shawn, HHH, Taker, and Kane in the same ring, an upcoming SD (admittedly an anniversary episode) is being hyped with the return of the Evolution stable, including the return of Batista in the process. Batista is a return nostalgia pop. We don't even need to look at SD for some of those, the all-women PPV is going to have return nostalgia pops Lita and Trish. Every week you see return nostalgia pop (slash TV show stars pop) The Bellas

You simply aren't going to see the end of legends or part-timers. You'll just see different generations of stars refuse to let go or avoid coming back long enough that they'll be the new part-timers for fans in another decade

Yeah but there are no stars from this generation that they can trot out like the guys you mentioned. Cena is about it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jackie D posted:

Yeah but there are no stars from this generation that they can trot out like the guys you mentioned. Cena is about it.

They'll just pretend they are stars and whatever fans they have left will buy it because they'll be better than whatever losers are on the roster in the future by virtue of not being on Raw getting ruined every week.

Like, just not being on Raw for a while makes you a bigger star than most of the current roster because you're not on Raw and they are.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
They're already on their second Shield reunion and it will almost certainly not be their last. WWE's gonna spend a decade-plus loving that chicken for cheap nostalgia pops.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've got no problem with a Batista return. He still looks to be in amazing shape.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
is batista sticking around, why do people think he's staying, i thought it was a one time thing

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Baron Corbin posted:

is batista sticking around, why do people think he's staying, i thought it was a one time thing

He might show up and start fightin' with Triple H so he can get his Triple H match at Mania and retire the way he wants to. He's been vocal about wanting that.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Lid posted:

We're past 15 years of Randy.

It's amazing his career longevity and success considering how boring he's been for most of it, combined with his awful bag making GBS threads, penis handshake, steroid taking, slut shaming behaviours.

He's also one of those people who people keep having to tell you is great when the product doesn't seem to match. Justin Credible, Roman Reigns, sadly Daniel Bryan on comeback.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I don't remember anyone saying Justin Credible was great

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Wazzu posted:

slut shaming

The night after WM30 the crowd of almost all hardcore fans called women sluts for being in committed relationships, and you think it'll matter to WWE what their wrestlers do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Meltzer is to Randy as Britain is to Big Daddy

• Locked thread