Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Show's on hiatus 'til April. I feel like the previous episode with Lisbeth giving her impassioned Gamers Rise Up speech would be a more natural endpoint for this "season" but I guess they wanted a more action-y moment to generate a cliffhanger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001
God damnit, Saturday was my favorite night of the week. I'd put my kid to bed and my wife would fall asleep, then watch an old episode of the league and finish off with SAO. What the hell am I supposed to do until April.

Shaffness fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 24, 2020

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
The whole release for this has been super weird. I thought it was just being split into two. Will it run until the end when it comes back? Or will it run for half a year and then stop for some weird amount of time again?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nullsmack posted:

The whole release for this has been super weird. I thought it was just being split into two. Will it run until the end when it comes back?

supposedly yes, but like you said, it has been weird. Hopefully no more curveballs from here.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Finally caught up to the hiatus

The idea that there's a second wave of players after the dead people from the first wave would be posting online with poo poo like "holy gently caress my whole body was crushed by a stone there's no pain absorber!!" is pretty bemusing. I guess that's why they handwave that dying traumatically in the Underworld can knock you out for a while, but even so you'd figure a post SAO world would be more hesitant about jacking themselves into a complete unknown of a VRMMO.

The most unrealistic part of the show was that none of the red dark knights ended up infighting with the rest of them. You know for a fact that if this happened for real there'd be a goon clique forming to sabotage the red team from within.

I'm not sure where they're going with the "convert your characters!!" thing given that one pretty good GGO player seems to have just nuked 2,000 mook dark knights. Presumably just the harem of Kirito by themselves would be able to gently caress everyone nuclear warhead-style given all of them are max levelled post-SAO characters, so the recruiting of the people from the Fairy Dance Arc seems kinda pointless but neat Rise Up moment I guess

Eagerly looking forward to Bercouli "Time Slash" Ojisan jobbing to Vecta so that Asuna or Kirito or Alice can have the last laugh

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Get excited, the beginning of the end starts on April 25th.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Preview for new season. A lot of rehashed flashback stuff from the rest of this arc but a little bit of new footage, and it wouldn't be SAO without at least one hosed up thing so get ready to see creepy tentacle stuff with Suguha because I guess Kawahara and/or the anime team didn't get that completely out of their systems in Fairy Dance... woooooo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyp4u9qLD2g

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C27bHIDFU9Q

So Excited.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

So on brand it's approaching parody... Can't wait. :rock:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Should I watch any of the other sword art online a before getting into this?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'd say at least the first series, or at bare minimum the rest of this long "season" (by which I mean Alicization). I mean, if you really want, you can probably pick up on everything from context clues and maybe a quick run through a wiki, but I would not compare it to like, jumping in to an arc of DBZ and getting up to speed.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It'd be recommended. This is a long-running series, not a bunch of disconnected stories, and Alicization seems to be the place where they all kind of join together with a lot of old characters coming back, so you may be confused if you don't.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i skipped everything after the first half of s1 and there's definitely a ton of characters now i only vaguely know because of osmosis

but like leafa sucks afaik so it's fine that i don't know about her, screenshot reinforcing my bias

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Watch abridged.

Then really really consider if you want to commit to this absolute dumpster fire of a show.

Then watch Alfheim.

Then really really really consider if you still want to commit to this absolute dumpster fire of a show.

Then watch Gun Gale Online.

Then really really really really consider if you still want to commit to this absolute dumpster fire of a show.

Then enjoy that arc with Asuna because it's quite nice actually.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Natural 20 posted:

Watch abridged.

Then really really consider if you want to commit to this absolute dumpster fire of a show.

Then watch Alfheim.

Then really really really consider if you still want to commit to this absolute dumpster fire of a show.

Then watch Gun Gale Online.

Then really really really really consider if you still want to commit to this absolute dumpster fire of a show.

Then enjoy that arc with Asuna because it's quite nice actually.

Addendum: After watching the GGO arc (specifically the first part of Sword Art Online II in the anime), watch the spinoff anime (Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online) which is far better than the main series.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

consider this warning: you can't unwatch sao

anime scholars the world over have desperately looked for ways to do so, but it is still impossible

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's just an anime

also lmfao recommending an abridged series, it's 2020

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

dogsicle posted:

it's just an anime

also lmfao recommending an abridged series, it's 2020

does it being 2020 suddenly stop it from being good or

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

abridged series should be left in the 00s, and in any case they're show supplements not replacements

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

even if SAO Abridged worked as a substitute for the first arc (it doesn't--it's a very different work, and a lot of its humor is dependent on how it contrasts itself with the original), there wouldn't be much point to using it as one, since that arc is among the best. don't start with the abridged version.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Yinlock posted:

consider this warning: you can't unwatch sao

anime scholars the world over have desperately looked for ways to do so, but it is still impossible
the first arc of sao is like a 7/10 anime at worst, dude. the second is 5/10 with some gross bits. it's not some kind of eldritch horror from beyond the veil that will taint your love of anime forevermore.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Elephant Parade posted:

the first arc of sao is like a 7/10 anime at worst, dude. the second is 5/10 with some gross bits. it's not some kind of eldritch horror from beyond the veil that will taint your love of anime forevermore.

it was an exaggeration for comedic effect, otherwise known as a joke

i could just say "sao bad" but that's boring

and no anything good about sao's first arc completely invalidates itself by how it ends

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Yinlock posted:

it was an exaggeration for comedic effect, otherwise known as a joke

i could just say "sao bad" but that's boring

and no anything good about sao's first arc completely invalidates itself by how it ends
what's wrong with the ending?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Probably the "why did i do this? idk man lol, cya" bit.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

idk, I got the impression that he wanted people to live and breathe his game, but knew people would never do that voluntarily, so he rigged things so they'd be forced to. it's not a morally sound or entirely sane rationale, but it is a coherent and reasoned one

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nothing in the text supports that. The motivations of the Bad Guy are and remain a mystery because the show gives no real clues as to why he made a death game in the first place.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It was also kind of lame that the only reason Kirito doesn't die at the end is that he really really didn't want to. Guess all those other people didn't want to live hard enough.

The original story had an interesting premise, an okay beginning and middle, then tripped hard at the end and never recovered.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Kwyndig posted:

Nothing in the text supports that. The motivations of the Bad Guy are and remain a mystery because the show gives no real clues as to why he made a death game in the first place.
It's been several years since I saw SAO, so I rewatched the last episode, with a focus on the scene where Kirito, Asuna, and Kayaba talk about SAO while watching Aincrad collapse. Though I don't think it's the only scene that contributes to an explanation of Kayaba's rationale (in particular, the confrontation scene is worth looking at), but it's a key one. Here's a transcription of the most relevant part of the conversation, starting at 17:29 of the HorribleSubs Crunchyroll release:

quote:

KIRITO: Why... Why did you do this?

KAYABA: Why, huh? I forgot a long time ago. I wonder why...

KAYABA: When I began developing the full-dive environment system... No, long before that, I dreamed of nothing but creating that castle, a world that surpassed all our laws and all our restrictions.

KAYABA: And now I have seen someone surpass even my own world's laws...

KAYABA: How old I must have been, when I was obsessed with the fantasy of a steel castle that floated in the sky? I wanted to leave the ground, to fly to that castle. For a long, long time, that was my only desire.

KAYABA: You know, Kirito-kun, I still believe that in some other world, that castle truly exists.

Kagaya wanted to create "that castle, a world that surpassed all our laws and all our restrictions". Any normal VR game would obviously be subjected to the restrictions inherent to video games; in particular, the events that happened therein would be bereft of real consequence: dying in the game doesn't mean dying in real life; money in the game isn't real money; if you don't feel like playing, you can (and must) leave. In short, forget about surpassing the real world; his castle would fall far short of it. How can he change that? By making Aincrad into the real world. And that's what he does: by abducting 10,000 people into Aincrad, making consequences within the game match up with consequences in real life (death = death), and preventing everyone from leaving, he eliminates those problems. He creates the castle.

As for why he's willing to go that far: he's "obsessed". He "dreamed of nothing but creating that castle"; "for a long, long time, that was [his] only desire". Obsessed people do amazing and terrible things.

So yeah, I do think there's an explanation. He even gives an explanation, more or less; you just have to play with it a little if you want to turn it into a direct answer to the question "why'd he make a murder MMO". Not everything needs to be totally explicit, IMO.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Elephant Parade posted:

what's wrong with the ending?

the really obvious "whoops im out of ideas time to end the book" sudden final confrontation and the villain having no motive whatsoever

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

dogsicle posted:

it's just an anime

its a lifestyle

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
SAO was originally written by the author when he was like mid 20s for some online LN writing contest that had a page limit.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dexo posted:

SAO was originally written by the author when he was like mid 20s for some online LN writing contest that had a page limit.

and if it was still an ln contest submission and not an actual series that would be fine

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

so how about that villain's nonexistent motive. or are we just posting our sao opinions, in which case I declare that SAO is the greatest written work to ever exist and will stand as such for all time

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 9, 2020

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

sao bad

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I've always called SAO a sandwich of poo poo (at least before Alicization). A good first arc (until the fairy daughter shows up) and everything was terrible until Mother Rosario. No idea how Alicization went, but I hear there are rape clowns and I doubt it's improved.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

There's rape clowns and also a guy who gets off on watching women die, explicitly violating them even further by devouring their souls.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Azubah posted:

I've always called SAO a sandwich of poo poo (at least before Alicization). A good first arc (until the fairy daughter shows up) and everything was terrible until Mother Rosario. No idea how Alicization went, but I hear there are rape clowns and I doubt it's improved.

the last arc Kirito was in a coma and it was the best season so far, kinda owned.....

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Azubah posted:

No idea how Alicization went,
Why are you posting in the Alicization thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Natural 20 posted:

Watch abridged.

I don't get why people like SAO Abridged. The only joke seems to be "what if SAO, but everyone is a huge rear end in a top hat (and/or insane) ?" It works as a "ha, a lot of gamers are assholes" gag initially but that joke wears thin extremely fast. And like, they toy around with the idea of people having PTSD for like a minute, but then like, so does actual SAO.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 9, 2020