Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for September, 2018?
This poll is closed.
:rory: Kenny Omega (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 30 27.03%
:krad: Meiko Satomura (FORMER KO-D Openweight Champion) 4 3.60%
:yeshaha: Danshoku Dino (KO-D Openweight Champion) 3 2.70%
:mufasa: Roman Reigns (WWE Universal Champion) 5 4.50%
:miedo: Pentagon Dark (FORMER Lucha Underground Champion) 0 0%
:quagmire: Marty the Moth (Lucha Underground Champion) 3 2.70%
:corrupt: Ronda Rousey (Raw Women's Champion) 1 0.90%
:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) 2 1.80%
:zoro: Zeus (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 0 0%
:mmmsmug: Austin Aries (Impact World Champion) 0 0%
:troll: Charlotte Flair (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) 1 0.90%
:clint: Becky Lynch (Smackdown Women's Champion) 54 48.65%
Jay Lethal (ROH World Champion) 1 0.90%
:btroll: WALTER (PWG Champion) 3 2.70%
:spooky: Champs Not Spooky Enough? (None of the Above) 4 3.60%
Total: 111 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

IWGP's dominance continued for the 8th straight month this year, as the storylines and matches setting up Kenny Omega's future IWGP title defenses lead to another dominant victory. Some newcomers did well, especially Meiko Satomura from DDT who managed an impressive 2nd place. Roman Reigns managed a respectable third, a surprise perhaps given his usual reception in Rowdy Ringsports. But the question remains whether anything other than the traditional November/December absence can keep the IWGP Champ from winning each month's poll.

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - such as the Open the Dream Gate Championship this month. NXT is still at this current time a Development Brand only, and neither of its top Champions are included on the monthly poll for that reason.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread.

:rory: Kenny Omega (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Omega's month sure as hell wasn't quiet, but it was from a title defense point of view. Facing Pentagon Dark at ALL IN to start the month, then tagging in great matches with Kota Ibushi in the middle and start of the month, the only actual title match for Omega was against Tomohiro Ishii, who had defeated him during the G1. That G1 match was one of the best of the year, and this one failed to live up to it, being "only" a very, very, very good match. On the Omega scale, that makes it a bit of a letdown!

:krad: Meiko Satomura (FORMER KO-D Openweight Champion) Meiko had one of the biggest months in her career, beginning with her televised WWE debut in a killer match with Killer Kelly and ending with her going toe-to-toe with the likes of WALTER and Toni Storm on her tour of the UK. Unfortunately for Meiko, her biggest match of the month didn't go her way as she fell victim to a Danshoku Driver in her first title defence. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI

:yeshaha: Danshoku Dino (KO-D Openweight Champion) - Dino was able to dispatch both Shigehiro Irie and Meiko Satomura in Korakuen Hall to become KO-D Champion. Next up for Dino is to finally realise his dream of a Sumo Hall main event as he defends the championship against the King of DDT winner, Daisuke Sasaki. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI

:mufasa: Roman Reigns (WWE Universal Champion) - Reigns had a truly bizarre Universal title match at Hell in a Cell, in which he and BRAUN! went at it for a little bit and then... just kind of ended up lying around doing literally nothing for 10 minutes while four other guys not in the match wrestled around and on TOP of the Hell in a Cell, taking big bumps and disappearing into the ether while BRAUN! and Roman... just lay there. Then Brock showed up, kicked down the door and murdered both BRAUN! and Roman and the show just... ended. Reigns made up for it the next night by defeating Baron Corbin in the main event to retain his title, and now is prepping for a triple threat with Brock and BRAUN! in Saudi Arabia, while also feuding alongside Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose against Dolph Ziggler and the incredible Drew McIntyre.

:miedo: Pentagon Dark (FORMER Lucha Underground Champion) - Pentagon started the month issuing an open challenge which was answered by Hernandez, who he was able to defeat before being targeted by King Cuerno, who was after his belt. Unfortunately for Cuerno, Mil Muertes got involved in their feud through the month and turned his singles match into a triple threat. Luckily Pentagon has ZERO FEAR so he took on both, beat them both, and stood tall.. until getting jumped from behind and thrown into yet ANOTHER singles match which lead to, bafflingly...

:quagmire: Marty the Moth (Lucha Underground Champion) - Yes the disgusting sleazebag in wrestling gear just a LITTLE too small for him beat the super-cool badass Pentagon Dark to become the new Lucha Underground Champion. Cashing in his Gift of the Gods belt he pinned Pentagon who... kicked out! Pentagon recovered, started fighting back and dominating... and then got hit by a Canadian Destroy by Chelsea Green(!) and Marty became the new champion. This is what happens when you kill Dario Cueto.

:corrupt: Ronda Rousey (Raw Women's Champion) - Ronda defended her title against Alexa Bliss at Hell in a Cell in a rematch. The match went too long and Alexa got in too much offense considering how brutalized she got in their previous match... but the crowd didn't care, they love Rousey and they thrill to watch her demolish her opponents, as she (eventually) did to Bliss.

:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) - AJ tapped! Fighting Samoa Joe at Hell in a Cell, AJ managed to pin Samoa Joe in a desperation pin while locked into the Coquina Clutch... but a replay showed he'd tapped unseen by the referee. The next Smackdown he admitted it was true, but said that was karma for all the bullshit Joe had pulled. Not exactly a typical babyface attitude, but the crowd seemed not to mind even if they do seem to love Joe (what's not to love, he's a huge badass!) and are into the continuing feud as they build to a no countouts, no DQ there MUST be a winner match in response to their previous match which didn't end by countout, DQ and which also had a winner.

:zoro: Zeus (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - While Zeus had no defenses this month, much like the New Japan Cup in NJPW, AJPW was focused on the Oudou Tournament which set up potential title feuds/matches down the line. Zeus lost to Kengo Mashimo in the semi final after victories over Naoya Nomura and Suwama in the first two rounds. He'll defend the title vs. tournament winner Kento Miyahara in October. Thanks to Thauros

:mmmsmug: Austin Aries (Impact World Champion) - Aries started the month confident, having Killer Kross and Moose both backing him up. That seemed well-founded, as the three were able to put a beating on a challenging Johnny Impact, have fun with the fat Fallah Bahh (though Aries also gave him a lot) and then went to Mexico and showed off his superior cardiovascular fitness against Texano. But Impact returned (after faking not being there due to injury) and took out Aries, who now has to worry about somebody who can keep up with him physically at Bound for Glory.

:troll: Charlotte Flair (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) - Charlotte Flair attacked her friend Becky from behind to win a triple threat title match she got herself inserted into, but the moment she had to face Becky one-on-one in a PPV match.. she lost. Clean.

:clint: Becky Lynch (Smackdown Women's Champion) - WWE doesn't quite seem to know if they want Becky to be face or heel, but it doesn't really matter (though her crowd reactions have muted) because Becky loving rules and has been a total badass since winning the title and deciding to take what is hers (everything!) whenever she feels like it. And that's the bottom line, because the new Queen (first name: Yasss!) says so!

Jay Lethal (ROH World Champion) - The start of the month built up to Lethal defending his ROH title against Jonathan Gresham in a 30 minute Iron Man match that went into sudden death overtime after they ended 1-1. Lethal finally hit the Lethal Injection to win in front of a hot crowd. The next week Lethal put over Gresham big, and issued an open challenge for his title which was answered... by Will Ospreay! At Death Before Dishonor the two had a hell of a match which Lethal was finally able to pull out a victory, with many pointing to the match as an indication of Ospreay preparing to shift to Heavyweight in New Japan. Lethal had no time to rest on his laurels though, as he was jumped by Matt Taven postmatch using a replica belt he claimed was the REAL World Title belt.

:btroll: WALTER (PWG Champion) - While there was no title Match at BOLA, WALTER did beat Tim Thatcher and Jonah Rock in non-title tourney matches before losing to Shingo Takagi. Jeff Cobb's victory at BOLA means one hell of a match is coming in October, and presumably if he survives that, Shingo Takagi will be getting a shot at some point down the line, all set up this month.

:spooky: Champs Not Spooky Enough? (None of the Above) - If this Halloween season has given you champions you are less than spooked by, you can share your distaste or just see the results of all other voting by clicking None of the Above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Last month:

quote:

i wanted to vote for becky

This month:

I'm voting for Becky. :woop:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wow, time to take the belt of Kenny, he's on course to lose the IWGP HW Champ's streak as top champ even after beating Ishii.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that's not a safe lead at all. i'll come back here and say it is when it is. so that you'll know

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Monthly post to remind everyone that calling NXT "developmental" is a joke and Ciampa and Sane should be on this poll, and it's a crime that they're not.

You can call it developmental again when some actual loving developmental talent hold the strap for once.

For reference, the last developmental level talent to hold the NXT Title is Bo Dallas in 2013 and the Women's title is....Bayley? 2015. Bayley had a career before NXT but not one of any note.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vaguido posted:

Monthly post to remind everyone that calling NXT "developmental" is a joke and Ciampa and Sane should be on this poll, and it's a crime that they're not.

You can call it developmental again when some actual loving developmental talent hold the strap for once.

For reference, the last developmental level talent to hold the NXT Title is Bo Dallas in 2013 and the Women's title is....Bayley? 2015. Bayley had a career before NXT but not one of any note.

It's not developmental it is the minor leagues and minor league belts don't go on the poll, sorry. When these guys learn that wrestling is supposed to be violent and that they can stop looking at their hands, maybe they can get out of the farm system. I'd love to have NEVER Champion: The Despicable Taichi on there myself but we can't always get what we want.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Voted Becky because Taichi wasn't on the poll and I'm not a coward who votes for the monthly Nobody option

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm very upset at the one person who voted for Dino

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

It's not developmental it is the minor leagues and minor league belts don't go on the poll, sorry. When these guys learn that wrestling is supposed to be violent and that they can stop looking at their hands, maybe they can get out of the farm system. I'd love to have NEVER Champion: The Despicable Taichi on there myself but we can't always get what we want.

The justification in the OP is that NXT is "developmental" which has been a joke for at least 3 years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NXT will go on the poll once Kenny's down there.

AJ has had a pretty good month with the Joe stuff and I would have voted for him if not for Becky.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vaguido posted:

The justification in the OP is that NXT is "developmental" which has been a joke for at least 3 years.

Yes, I know. The OP is trying to be nice to the minor leaguers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, you can tell it's just being nice because plenty of WWE developmental brands are already on there, like ROH and NJPW.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svK4tci8tHw

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

Also regardless of NXT champs being on or not I was still voting for Becky this month. I just need to vent about this injustice until the coward J-Ru fixes their mistake.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Vaguido posted:

J-Ru fixes their mistake.

Agreed. Call them minor leaguers in the OP

Bellator fans accept their place in their own sport's B-/C-/Z-league thread, there's no shame in it

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

We can create the best minor league championship poll where the NXT Champion can go up against like the EVOLVE and the ROH TV Champion.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
also NOAH, so I can vote for Sugiura

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

And then next month and every month thereafter, Nakajima.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I wish LA Park had a world title so I could vote for him during this month while we are the Skeleton Argument Sanctum

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

I wish LA Park had a world title so I could vote for him during this month while we are the Skeleton Argument Sanctum

Becky has a skeleton.

I have seen some of the falls Kenny Omega takes on his neck and there's a good chance he does not.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

We can create the best minor league championship poll where the NXT Champion can go up against like the EVOLVE and the ROH TV Champion.

Got it, boss.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I'm so goddamn mad that I can't vote for the champion of the Nazi Hell Company's minor league who exclusively wrestles in really bad masturbatory matches against the same guy every PPV.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NienNunb posted:

I'm so goddamn mad that I can't vote for the champion of the Nazi Hell Company's minor league who exclusively wrestles in really bad masturbatory matches against the same guy every PPV.

Uh Kenny beat him months ago.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's hard to take arguments that the NXT title is a major one when almost all former NXT champions get buried on the main roster

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Voted Becky because it's probably the last chance to vote for her.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a cool guy who doesn't care told me to post that more former ROH, PWG, impact and njpw champions were buried on the main roster than nxt ones

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

NienNunb posted:

you can vote for nazi hell company's indie promotion's world champion

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Aphrodite posted:

AJ has had a pretty good month with the Joe stuff and I would have voted for him if not for Becky.

:agreed:

Kenny did a lot of cool stuff this month but most of it had nothing to do with his actual title, whereas AJ's feud with Joe has been really good but overshadowed by Becky Lynch being the baddest motherfucker on the planet.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the lead is now safe

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

And then next month and every month thereafter, Nakajima.
I dunno, I’m smelling something screwy for their match tomorrow, like double KO draw.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

:agreed:

Kenny did a lot of cool stuff this month but most of it had nothing to do with his actual title, whereas AJ's feud with Joe has been really good but overshadowed by Becky Lynch being the baddest motherfucker on the planet.

He defended his title against a longtime rival in a classic match. Becky Lynch had an average match where she won the title on a roll up.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Becky has an interesting and hot angle/new character going and people really like her while Kenny's promos and character work have been getting bad again. People liked the G1 Ishii vs Omega match more than the title match too so that's probably a factor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

He defended his title against a longtime rival in a classic match. Becky Lynch had an average match where she won the title on a roll up.

lol look at this nerd who thinks matches matter

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

Becky has an interesting and hot angle/new character going and people really like her while Kenny's promos and character work have been getting bad again. People liked the G1 Ishii vs Omega match more than the title match too so that's probably a factor.

The botched heel turn is always a hot angle.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

The botched heel turn is always a hot angle.

A hot angle is a hot angle, sorry you dont like it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

A hot angle is a hot angle, sorry you dont like it.

A hot angle would probably lead to people not walking out before a dark match in record numbers, but what do I know, I'm sure it's red hot.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

A hot angle would probably lead to people not walking out before a dark match in record numbers, but what do I know, I'm sure it's red hot.

lol dark matches don't matter

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

lol dark matches don't matter

Yes, this is correct. However if the angle were actually hot people wouldn't be walking out in record numbers before this one while they will stay for AJ Styles vs X. The show probably also wouldn't be down 15% year over year. Instead it is, probably because WWE is booking it to try to make Becky a heel long term because they are dumb as hell.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We haven't had a good meltdown in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Yes, this is correct. However if the angle were actually hot people wouldn't be walking out in record numbers before this one while they will stay for AJ Styles vs X. The show probably also wouldn't be down 15% year over year. Instead it is, probably because WWE is booking it to try to make Becky a heel long term because they are dumb as hell.

beep boop

• Locked thread