Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

HO THERE! A shadow falls over the Reikland and dark deeds are afoot at the behest of foul fiends and scheming heretics. Gather your protagonists, rat catchers and sell swords—there’s righteous work to be done for the brave, bold or simply opportunistic men and women of the Empire. Herein lies the formidable undertaking of seeking interested souls to partake in an adventure in Warhammer Fantasy Fourth Edition, the latest rendition of the fare from Cubicle 7 Entertainment and a grim and perilous ride. Hearkening back to the earlier editions after the peculiar hybrid that was Third Edition, it’s pretty darn neat.

I’m after six brave souls to embark on this adventure, to form bonds of camaraderie in the thickest of circumstances and maybe, just maybe, survive to see the other side before the end times beckon.

Throughout all this business I'll be available on irc.synirc.net in the channel #whsor for any inquiries or chatter or camaraderie because I'm antiquated and still use IRC.

Character Creation

Creating a character in Warhammer Fantasy 4E entails:
* Arriving at your species (human, halfling, dwarf, high elf or wood elf)
* Your class and career (such as hunter, watchman, priest, agitator or the almighty rat catcher)
* Your attributes (there’s ten, ranging from weapon skill to willpower to wounds)
* Your skills and talents (efficacy at tasks and special perks for various circumstances)
* Your trappings (the gear and tools of the trade you’ll take with you on your journey)
* Your details (name, appearance, all the good stuff)

Warhammer Fantasy 4E is primarily a percentile system rolling 1d100 for resolution—fourth edition has jazzed that up a bit and there are success levels—in the positive and negative—and one can potentially fail forward and other such developments.

There’s a lot here, but it’s fairly straightforward despite the broad pool of options at each stage—and you have the option of assigning and picking things as you please to chart a path through character creation or, alternatively…

Ranald, take the wheel!
If you’re a bold, brave, cool cat, you can take the option to entrust your character-to-be in the capable hands of Ranald—and you even get incentive to do so by way of some bonus experience to sweeten the pot!

I’m of the personal opinion that going all-in with a random character is the premium way to approach Warhammer Fantasy, but I’m fine with folks who may err on the side of stern-miened inquisitors and going with safe chosen character elements. I won’t judge you that much.

You can go a la carte when it comes to Ranald’s involvement in the mix, e.g. you can randomly determine your species but then pick your class and so forth—but for each element of character creation you leave to chance you get additional bonus experience. Experience in fourth edition is a flexible pool that you can spend on things as you like afterwards as your character develops further.

For anyone who wants to brave the rolls, we’ll use Orokos and I’d like you to submit the rolls using the Campaign entry Ranald’s Reikland Rolls so that we get them all neatly together. In the description, please include your forum name and which roll you’re performing. You can also, optionally, visit me in #whsor on irc.synirc.net if you'd like to use an ill-tempered power-mad dicebot instead.

Let’s get cracking!

Step 1: Species
You can either take your pick of Human, Halfling, Dwarf, High Elf or Wood Elf, or you can roll 1d100 and gain +20 XP if you accept the result. Your species influences which classes and careers are open to you in step 2 and affects your attributes.
01-90 is Human
91-94 is Halfling
95-98 is Dwarf
99 is High Elf
00 is Wood Elf

Step 2: Class and Career
Roll 1d100 for a Random Class and Career—and if you keep the result, gain +50 XP. If you don’t like your first result, you can roll twice more and have a pool of three options to pick from—and still gain +25 XP. Otherwise, you can just pick your class and career but receive no bonus XP.

Step 3: Attributes
Now you roll 2d10 for each of the ten Characteristics (and each species has a base that gets added to those results.) If you stick with the random results in order, gain +50 XP. If you’re not happy with that spread, you can rearrange them in any order you like and still gain +25 XP.

If you’re still not happy, you can either re-roll and swap around at your leisure or just allocate 100 points across the ten Characteristics—with a minimum of 4 and maximum of 18 allocated to any single Characteristic; as you probably guessed, there’s no bonus XP if you go these routes.

Step 4: Skills and Talents
For skills, you’re distributing ‘advances’ which are determining your total skill—so for example, Climb is associated with Strength, so if you’ve got a Strength of 32 and 6 Climb advances, your Climb Skill would be 38. At character creation, you get to pick 3 Skills to gain 5 Advances each, and 3 Skills to gain 3 Advances each; the skill pool you can pick from is a combination of options from your species + class.

Keep track of how many Advances you put into each Characteristic and Skill, as this determines the scaling XP cost of additional Advances.

Now we’re getting into some nitty gritty. There’s basic and advanced skills—anyone can attempt a basic skill even if they don’t have anything in it, using the governing attribute; advanced skills can only be attempted by someone trained in them.

For talents, you get some freebies based on your species; anywhere that there are two talents listed with or you pick one or the other (for example Humans can get Savvy or Suave as a talent.) You additionally get random talents—if you roll one you already got, you can re-roll it. Random talents are random only, there’s no manual option / bonus XP here.

Here’s what the species get as well as the Random talents table:

Humans (Reiklander)
Skills: Animal Care, Charm, Cool, Evaluate, Gossip, Haggle, Language (Bretonnian), Language (Wastelander), Leadership, Lore (Reikland), Melee (Basic), Ranged (Bow)
Talents: Doomed, Savvy or Suave, 3 Random Talents

Dwarfs
Skills: Consume Alcohol, Cool, Endurance, Entertain (Storytelling), Evaluate, Intimidate, Language (Khazalid), Lore (Dwarfs), Lore (Geology), Lore (Metallurgy), Melee (Basic), Trade (any one)
Talents: Magic Resistance, Night Vision, Read/Write or Relentless, Resolute or Strong-minded, Sturdy

Halflings
Skills: Charm, Consume Alcohol, Dodge, Gamble, Haggle, Intuition, Language (Mootish), Lore (Reikland), Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Trade (Cook)
Talents: Acute Sense (Taste), Night Vision, Resistance (Chaos), Small, 2 Random Talents

High Elves
Skills: Cool, Entertain (Sing), Evaluate, Language (Eltharin), Leadership, Melee (Basic), Navigation, Perception, Play (any one), Ranged (Bow), Sail, Swim
Talents: Acute Sense (Sight), Coolheaded or Savvy, Night Vision, Second Sight or Sixth Sense, Read/Write

Wood Elves
Skills: Athletics, Climb, Endurance, Entertain (Sing), Intimidate, Language (Eltharin), Melee (Basic), Outdoor Survival, Perception, Ranged (Bow), Stealth (Rural), Track
Talents: Acute Sense (Sight), Hardy or Second Sight, Night Vision, Read/Write or Very Resilient, Rover

Next comes the career part—and frankly, there is way, way too much for me to include in this post—so my plan is to handle such onward as a ‘second round’ of chargen after folks determine the first three steps.

That being said, the way it works is that you begin at your first Career level listed in your Career Path, which will have 8 Skills and 4 Talents listed. You can choose which you’re most proficient at and get to allocate 40 Advances among your eight starting skills—with no more than 10 Advances allocated to any single Skill.

This is also enough to add 5 Advances to every Career Skill if you’d like, which is one of the required steps to complete your Career if you want to change out (you’re not locked into your Careers and can advance to others, but that’s more involved than we’re going to get into here.)

Of the four Talents listed for your starting career, you get to pick which one you want.

Step 5: Trappings
We’re in the final stretch. You get a set of trappings based on your class and then you get additional trappings based on your career. Here are the class trappings:

Academics: Clothing, Dagger, Pouch, Sling Bag containing Writing Kit and 1d10 sheets of Parchment
Burghers: Cloak, Clothing, Dagger, Hat, Pouch, Sling Bag containing Lunch
Courtiers: Courtly Garb, Dagger, Pouch containing Tweezers, Ear Pick, and a Comb
Peasants: Cloak, Clothing, Dagger, Pouch, Sling Bag containing Rations (1 day)
Rangers: Cloak, Clothing, Dagger, Pouch, Backpack containing Tinderbox, Blanket, Rations (1 day)
Riverfolk: Cloak, Clothing, Dagger, Pouch, Sling Bag containing a Flask of Spirits
Rogues: Clothing, Dagger, Pouch, Sling Bag containing 2 Candles, 1d10 Matches, a Hood or Mask
Warriors: Clothing, Hand Weapon, Dagger, Pouch

Your class trappings will be revealed once we move on to that stage with everyone. As for your cash money, that’s determined by your status tier & level, which will also be revealed with the careers—but the gist is:
Brass Tier - 2d10 brass pennies per Status Level
Silver Tier - 1d10 silver shillings per Status Level
Gold Tier - 1 Gold crown per Status Level

Step 6: Details
This is where you, the intrepid role-player, figure out your name, height, weight, age, etc. There’s gobs of random tables for these and I am not going to gently caress around with this for the purposes of this recruitment—y’all can handle that yourselves.

The exception is Ambitions, which are your private, personal goals in the short term and long term; completing your Ambitions (it’s a fairly freeform thing, but we’re ostensibly going to consult together) awards bonus XP. You want one Short-Term ambition (something that can be completed within days or weeks) and one Long-Term Ambition (your overarching character’s goal that could lead to their retirement as a character and the satisfaction of their character arc.)

These are somewhat-secret because they can potentially be controversial. Put your ambitions in spoiler tags and let’s be grown-ups and not peek at each other or act on that out-of-game knowledge if you find it irresistible to look. Ambitions can change over time, so don’t feel too pressured by it.

Step 7: Party
Literally and mechanically. This will be handled once we’ve got the recruitment rounds battened down, but basically you’re going to also decide together your party’s Short-Term and Long-Term ambition. Achieving these rewards everyone in the party with fabulous XP and also provides a helpful guiding star for the direction of the party’s adventurous exploits.

That’s the thrust of it. Any bonus XP you gain during character creation you can spend on Advances before play commences; XP awarded during the course of play can also be spent on additional Advances at intervals I’ll call out in the thread (typically sections of downtime.)

Edit: I overlooked this myself, but it's been pointed out that you also get five free Characteristic Advances during character creation as well--these advances must be spent among the Characteristics indicated with a + on your starting career, however. Much like Skill Advances, it's important to keep track of how many Advances have been added to a given Characteristic, as it affects scaling XP cost as you progress.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at Oct 3, 2018 around 21:15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I am so in! Random character here I come.

race: 1d100 45 - Human

human class and career: 1d100 55 - Ranger/Flagellant

human flagellant stats: 10#2d10 10 11 9 7 9 11 14 5 12 13

random talents: 3#1d100 35 23 81 - Luck, Flee!, Strong Legs

Name: Dietmar Riehl
Species: Human
Class: Ranger
Career: Zealot

XP: 20

Weapon Skill: 30
Ballistic Skill: 31
Strength: 30 (1 advance)
Toughness: 30 (3 advances)
Initiative: 30 (1 advance)
Agility: 31
Dexterity: 34
Intelligence: 25
Willpower: 32
Fellowship: 38
Wounds: SB+(2xTB)+WPB = 12
Fate: 2
Resilience: 4
Movement: 4

Skills: Animal Care, Charm, Cool + 3, Dodge + 10, Endurance +10, Evaluate, Gossip, Haggle, Heal + 3, Intimidate + 10, Intuition + 3, Language (Bretonnian), Language (Wastelander), Leadership, Lore (Reikland), Lore (Sigmar) + 5, Melee (Basic) + 5, Melee (Flail) + 10, Outdoor Survival + 5, Ranged (Bow)
Talents: Doomed, Suave, Luck, Flee!, Strong Legs, Berserk Charge, Stone Soup
Trappings: Flail, Tattered robes, Cloak, Clothing, Dagger, Pouch, Backpack containing Tinderbox, Blanket, Rations (1 day)

Flee!
Max: Agility Bonus
Tests: Athletics when Fleeing
When your life is on the line you are capable of impressive bursts of speed. Your Movement Attribute counts as 1 higher when Fleeing.
Strong Legs
Max: Strength Bonus
You have strong legs able to carry you great distances when you jump. Add your Strong Legs level to your SL in any Athletics Tests involving Leaping .
Luck
Max: Fellowship Bonus
They say when you were born, Ranald smiled. Your maximum Fortune Points now equal your current Fate points plus the number of times youve taken Luck.
Doomed: Doomed lets you come up with a descriptive prophecised doom for your character you received from a Priest of Morr during your coming of age, and if your character happens to die in a manner that fits with that doom, a replacement character gets half your accrued XP
Suave: You gain a permanent +5 bonus to your starting Fellowship (this does not count towards your Advances).
Berserk Charge
Max: Strength Bonus
Tests: Melee on a Round when you Charge
You hurl yourself at your enemies with reckless abandon, using the force of your charge to add weight to your strikes. When you Charge, you gain +1 Damage to all Melee attacks per level in this Talent.

Short-Term Ambition: To burn a nest of mutants in Altdorf
Long-Term Ambition: A cleansing must be taken, to purge the damned from Altdorf so that Sigmar might walk it's streets with pride when he is reborn!
Doom: The Gods watch over thy end.

Where Are You From?
In Sylvania, in a small town a few days away from Waldenhof

What Is Your Family Like?
They were great pious folk when they lived. My parents were devout, always praying on the hammer at night to protect us from things in the dark. They raised my sisters and I well enough, until the blood plague swept through and the town died.

What Was Your Childhood Like?
Poor, hungry. Sylvania is a hard land, the lords tax their people for everything they are worth, and that is little enough. Crops rarely grow well, and it isn't safe to travel too far from home except in groups. But children were loved and protected, and the local temple of sigmar was well cared for. I tended the crops with my parents starting when I was nine, and my younger sisters joined me soon afterwards. Of course, nearly everyone died when I was twelve. The blood plague came, and one by one, people became pale and wane before finally dying with marks on their throats. Some of the village ran, the rest of us left when too few of us were left to defend the crops.

Why Did You Leave Home?
Nobody was left - those with family elsewhere went to live with their kin. Nobody else had supplies to care for an orphan, so I started walking. Slept in trees at night when I could, hid from every noise I heard, and scavenged what little food I could find until I made it to Stirland, where I met up with a group of flagellants. Joined them because they are right, the end of the world comes and Sigmar will be reborn soon to lead us in battle against all the enemies of mankind!

Who Are Your Best Friends?
Brother Wisen and Sister Gundula, both fellow flagellants and true blood kin to eachother. Younger than me, but we picked them up in a town burned by mutants in the Stirhugels. Brother Wisen still has that shocked look in his eyes, but he throws himself into battle like nobody else. I think he wants to die for Sigmar, but nothing has killed him yet. Sister Gundula isn't quite so devout, I think she only stays around to keep an eye on her older brother. She does a good job patching us up after battle though, good hand with needle and thread.

What Is Your Greatest Desire?
To one day kill the evil that brought the blood plague to our village. I'm not a child any more, I've heard the stories of the blood-drinkers, and I know that one of them hunted my village, draining it's people a bit at a time until everyone died. Sigmar defeated the Great Necromancer in the ages before, and with Sigmars rightiousness at my side I will one day return to hunt down the foul undead beasts that hide in my homeland.

What Are Your Best And Worst Memories
Of worst memories... how can I place one above another, with so many terrible sights in my mind? No, I shall only speak of my bright memory. The tiny gem I found in the stream near home, a little spec of green that glowed in the sunlight when I held it up. That one spark of brightness when everything else around me was drab, as if all hope had drained from both people and land. I gave it to my youngest sister. I think she hid it in her "secret" stash out behind the hut, but I forgot to look for it after she died.

What Are Your Religious Beliefs?
Sigmar is my lord, the lord of all men, and he shall soon walk with us to lead us to battle against the dark forces. First against those that hide among us, and then against those who stand outside the lands of men!

To Whom or What Are You Loyal
I am loyal to Sigmar and his cause.

Why Are You Adventuring
Is it adventuring to seek battle in Sigmars name, to try and hold back the darkness until the twin-tailed comets light can banish it? No, I do what any good man should do, and so few have the courage to do. I travel to the darkest places and bring with me the light of salvation!

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at Oct 4, 2018 around 05:13

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Rolled and got a human ratcatcher aka the best possible result.

Stats
Stats: 10#2d10+20 39 32 36 31 24 33 28 29 28 37

Random Talents are Marksman, Pure Soul, and Sixth Sense
Random talents: 3#1d100 78 62 41

pre:
Name: Karl
Height: 5'8"
Eyes: Brown 
Hair: Brown

Weapon Skill: 42 (includes +5 from chargen)
Ballistic Skill: 33 (includes +5 from Marksman)
Strength: 39
Toughness: 36
Initiative: 32
Agility: 33
Dexterity: 24
Intelligence: 33 (includes +5 from Savvy)
Willpower: 31
Fellowship: 29
Fate: 4
Resilience: 2

Talents:
Doomed (am doomed), Savvy (+5 to Intelligence), Marksman (+5 to ballistic skill)

Pure Soul
Max: Willpower Bonus
Your soul is pure, quite resistant to the depredations of Chaos. You may gain extra Corruption points equal to your level of Pure Soul 
before having to Test to see if you become corrupt.

Sixth Sense
Max: Initiative Bonus
Tests: Intuition Tests involving your Sixth Sense
You get a strange feeling when you are threatened, and can react accordingly. The GM may warn you if you are walking into danger; this 
will normally come after a secret Intuition Test on your behalf. Further, you may ignore Surprise if you pass an Intuition Test.

Strike to Stun
Max: Weapon Skill Bonus
Tests: Melee Tests when Striking to Stun
You know where to hit an opponent to bring him down fast. You ignore the ‘Called Shot’ penalty to strike the Head Hit Location when using 
a melee weapon with the Pummel Quality (see page 298). Further, you count all improvised weapons as having the Pummel Quality

Skills:  Athletics +5, Animal Care +5, Animal Training (Dog) +5, Charm+3, Charm Animal +5, Consume Alcohol +3, Cool +5 , Endurance +5, 
Evaluate, Gossip+3 , Haggle +3, Language (Bretonnian), Language (Wastelander), Leadership, Lore (Reikland), Melee (Basic) +15, Ranged (Bow), 
Ranged (Sling) +2, Stealth (Underground) +5

Trappings: Cloak, Clothing, Dagger, Hat, Pouch, Sling Bag containing Lunch,  Sling with Ammunition, Sack, Small but Vicious Dog
Purchased Gear: Improvised Weapon (Chair Leg) [0]
Money: 22 brass pennies
XP: 20+50+25=95
Dooming: Rats
Where are you from?
A little village here in Reikland, you ain't never heard of it.

What is your family like?
I never knew my dad, but my mother and uncle Ernst raised me well enough. I'm here, ain't I?

What was your childhood like?
It was great! Ma taught me how to kill rats, I got to play with the dogs, and we had dinner most nights.

Why did you leave home?
Well, Ma had the ratting job mostly taken care of at home, and so I figured it'd be a better idea to head out and get my own place. I mean, Ma said it was time for me to go, but it was my decision.

Who are your best friends?
Me and Paulie and Spike used to run around back home, Paulie joined the army and Spike went off to become a priest and I haven't seen them in years. Now its just me dog, Lefty, and he's drat near the best ratter you ever seen, I tell ya.

What is your greatest desire?
I mean, getting rich is what everybody wants, ain't it? Course more real likely steady work'd be good enough.

What are your best and worst memories?
Best was when Ma said Lefty'd be mine, he was just a pup back then. I taught him everything he knows! Worst was when that great big rat bit off me finger, back then I thought he was going to get me neck next. If it weren't for Lefty's da Brute he might've.

What are your religious beliefs?
Sigmar, of course. Spike was always talking about how great Sigmar was. One day I'd like to get a great big hammer, too. Can you imagine how good that'd be at smashing rats!

To whom, or what, are you loyal?
Friends and family. And Lefty, of course, but he's mostly family anyhow.

Why are you adventuring?
Well it's in the name, ain't it, "adventure". And I heard it's good money too, but I guess I'll see about that.

Motivation: A Job Well Done
Short Term Ambition: To meet Paulie or Spike again
Long term ambition: Get a high ranking position as a ratcatcher or city guard in a city

Piell fucked around with this message at Oct 7, 2018 around 03:51

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Interest.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

That was swift!

Career Levels
There are four levels to each career, with each level better than the last; new characters start at the first level of their career. Your character’s career helps chart how your character will grow in terms of characteristic advances, skill advances and talent advances. You can only select advances available to the level of your career and prior levels.

Level one is marked with the plus, level two are the crossed axes, level three are the skull and level four are the shield. You cannot advance in things that are not covered by your current career + career level (and previous levels), which is part of the reason why someone might decide to complete or transfer out of a career if they want to grow in a different direction.

Your career & levels will also indicate which social tier they inhabit + what status level they have for that level. There’s systems for advancing or falling in social graces, but we’ll worry about that later.

Our first contestants:

Rat Catcher features the very important trapping small but vicious dog.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Species: 69 - Human. Nice.

Career Options: 62 - Boatman, 10 - Priest or 32 - Noble or 96 - Soldier

...so, uh, is Noble allowed in this?

Priest is what I'll go with.

My stat roll ended up awful so I'll have to go point buy. Stats to follow.

Sister Thekla, Initiate of Ulric

Motivation: Extremely Ulrican

Short-Term Ambition: Befriend a Knight of the White Wolf and learn to fight better.
Long-Term Ambition: Raise the Nordlander Ulricans to the leadership of the Cult of Ulric.

Where Are You From?
Originally? Arse end of the woods, near the Hagercrybs. Spent my time there 'til I was fourteen, then I was shipped off to Nordland for training. Mama's from there, see, and she said no proper girl didn't know how to kill a wolf. She's right.

What Is Your Family Like?
Grandmother was a Knight of the White Wolf, and may her soul roar with Ulric! Died ten years ago in battle against an Orc warlord. Mama was never that good at the fighting, but she saw to it we were raised right. Grandfather and Papa always listened to her - but then, she's a Nordland woman. That's how we are. And don't you go saying I'm Reiklander born and bred! I've a wolf in my soul, I do. Mama's the leader of our family sure enough, and Papa taught me how to get by with the beasts. He's a woodman, he is. I think he likes Sigmar and Taal more than Ulric, but that's fine. Papa's not a fighter at all. He's a kind old man. I have two sisters and a brother, all younger. Plus the three stillbirths, but they don't count, aye? And Katja, poor ol' Katja. Beastmen got her. Arlinda's twelve, Theodoric's ten and little Morgan is six. Lovely little girl, she is. I can see fire in her eyes when I visit. Grandfather, well, he's still around. Lost his leg serving the Empire. Papa's parents both died 'fore I was old enough to remember 'em. Papa says they poked around too close in one of the barrows.

What Was Your Childhood Like?
I grew up on tales of the White Wolves! We lived out in the arse of the Hagercrybs because Grandmother said it'd make us strong - stronger than cities, anyway. I think part of it was also that she was busy moving a lot and it's where Grandfather was from. Anyway, I knew since I was just a pup that I wanted to serve Ulric. I spent my time roughhousing and playing with the other kids in the woods. Ended up in charge, often as not. Then it was off to the Temple in Nordland, where I studied under the High Abbess. Rough old bird. She'd be Ar-Ulric if the Middenlanders weren't such idiots.

Why Did You Leave Home?
Well, as I was saying, I went to Nordland to serve Ulric. I've only just been allowed to leave the Temple now - took me, ah, a few more years'n I expected. Most initiates are proper done in four, but it took me nearly six. See, the trouble is, I'm not the sort to sit down and read if I can be active and...turns out, even Ulric needs us to read proper if we're not just to be knights. So that took some extra time early on, and I had to play catch-up.

Who Are Your Best Friends?
Sister Hilde and Sister Theresa at the Temple were both great friends. We got through training together. And Klaus, from back home. We...well, it was hard to keep in touch, since he can't read, but he's a close friend. I used to protect him from bullies. He was always a little scaredy-cat.

What Is Your Greatest Desire?
I mean, if wishes were wolves and I had a whole pack? Chief of the War Priests accompanying the Knights of the White Wolf.

What Are Your Best And Worst Memories
Best? The day that we went all the way to Altdorf to watch Grandmother on parade. It was amazing! The Knights had just gotten back from campaign, aye, and I was but eight years old. Stood on Mama's shoulders to see proper over the crowds. Grandmother was glorious in her armor...which, as it happens, we don't own - got lost on the battlefield after she fell. more's the pity. Worst memory would be the Beastman raid. The one where Katja died. See, she was only a year younger than me. We were...we'd planned to head to the temple together. She was my best friend. But when the Beastmen came, she and I, we got the little ones to safety. We'd gotten everyone, but then the big Beastman, he sees the two of us and...and Katja was the slower. She tripped and - and to my everlasting shame, I didn't grab her. I couldn't. It was all I could do to get to safety. And so they got her. Terrible creatures, Beastmen.

What Are Your Religious Beliefs?
Ulric! Howl with me!

To Whom or What Are You Loyal
First to Ulric, then to kin, then to church, then to Empire.

Why Are You Adventuring
Pilgrimage, right now, to prove myself and pass the trials of the initiate.

XP: 45

Weapon Skill: 35
Ballistic Skill: 22
Strength: 30
Toughness: 33 (+1)
Initiative: 26
Agility: 32 (+2)
Dexterity: 25
Intelligence: 32
Willpower: 40 (+2)
Fellowship: 35
Wounds: 16
Fate: 3
Resilience: 3

Skills: Athletics 5, Charm 5, Cool 5, Endurance 5, Gossip 3, Intuiton 5, Leadership 3, Lore (Reikland) 3, Lore (Theology) 5, Perception 5, Pray 10, Melee (Basic) 5, Research 5
Talents: Doomed, Suave, Hardy, Ambidextrous, Animal Affinity, Read/Write
Trappings: Clothing, dagger, pouch, sling bag (Writing Kit, 7 sheets of parchment), religious symbol of Ulric, robes, 7p

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at Oct 4, 2018 around 11:58

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Unless you're in love with the idea of a noble, I'd probably opt for that to be a free re-roll, as nobles potentially complicate things in bizarre ways and can be pretty tricky to convince to go mucking around.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nah, just checking. I'll reroll it and if it's not something I want I'll take Priest.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Priest it is.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Erika Laut, Human Entertainer

Stats:

Weapon Skill: 32
Ballistic Skill: 30
Strength: 34
Toughness: 30
Initiative: 35
Agility: 29 + 3 = 32
Dexterity: 30
Intelligence: 26
Willpower: 32
Fellowship: 41 + 5 = 46

Wounds: 12

Skills: Charm 10, Gossip 8, Haggle 8, Athletics 5, Entertain (Acting) 5, Perform (Acrobatics) 5, Play (Lute) 5, Sleight of Hand 5, Melee (Basic) 5, Cool 5, Language (Brettonian) 3

Talents: Doomed ("Thy last breath is drawn by Morrsleib’s light."), Suave, Attractive, Strong Legs, Noble Blood, Public-Speaking

Trappings: Cloak, Clothing, Dagger, Pouch, Backpack containing Tinderbox, Blanket, Rations (1 day), Bowl, Instrument

XP: 95 - 75 = 20

---

Motivation: Fame, fortune, and her rightful station in life!

Short-Term Ambition: Find whichever arsehole rumbled through her stuff and stole her signet ring and give them a good stabbing... and getting the ring back too, as it's her only proof of her lineage.
Long-Term Ambition: Take her rightful place as the heir to the Duchy of Aquitaine.

Where are you from? Well, depends what you mean. Where'd I grow up? Easy. It's a little hamlet outside of Ubersreik, not far from the River Bögen. Too small to have a name people remember and certainly too small for someone of my talents. I haven't seen the place in years, really, not since I took off to seek my fortune and find out what the ring I was left with meant. And, yeah, that leads into the other bit. I'm a Bret, even if I don't sound it, and... well, I'll excuse you if you don't believe this bit, but the old duke of Aquitaine was my real pop. He ran off for a few years to seek the grail, yeah? Well, I dunno if he found any fancy cups, but he did find a lady of his own if you catch my drift. Never knew my mom, what with her passing when I was born, but I'm guessing she was a beaut. I sure am.

What is your family like? Right, yeah, I got left on the doorstep of a farmer's hut. It wasn't much, but hell. I guess I should just be glad they took in some poor sop in a basket. Wouldn't be here chatting with you if they didn't, yeah? Anyways, didn't take too long to catch on that the farmer's life wasn't going to be mine. I must've been... what, twelve? Fifteen, tops? That's about the time I started running off into the woods and jumping off of things. Y'know, it's really harder than I make it look. Anyways, I got real good at it and I even started to earn a little coin putting on a show for the traders that ran on through our little slice of whatever. Mam and pop never got it, hell, still think they don't. They stopped giving me poo poo after the pennies I'd banked got us through that tough winter a few years back, though.

What was your childhood like? Boring. I dunno what this fascination is with salt of the earth bullshit, but I'd be just as happy if I never saw a fuckin' pig again in my life. They smell terrible, they're mean as hell, and they literally baste themselves in their own filth. Figures it'd be my job to toss 'em the slop bucket every night. I'll say this for the trotters. They taste drat fine all fried up with an egg or two aside.

Why did you leave home? A lot of reasons, most of which are about bein' a big fish is a drying up puddle. I ain't about to claim to be one of the greats, not yet, but I can put a show on that'll stop traffic. Not a lot of traffic to stop in my neck of the woods. There's also the ring, not that I've got it on me, but I want to know why the duke ditched me in the middle of fuckin' nowhere. Got some questions for the old man, though I guess he might've gone and bit it. Figures. Guess the guy in Aquitaine's about the next best thing when it comes to figuring that out, right?

Who are your best friends? Y'know the rowdy crowd of scoundrels, performers, and other gutter trash that tend to haunt the common room of any inn in the world? Yeah, them. We get on like a house on fire, except the one that nicked my ring. That one's gonna be on fire once I get my hands on 'em.

What is your greatest desire? Man, y'all are askin' the tough questions. I just want what anyone wants. People to know my name, a fuckin' load of money I can't ever run out of, and a fancy castle with servants and things. Maybe some nice, shiny armor too. The kind with the cool fiddly bits, cups and the like.

What are your best and worst memories? Best? Probably the first time I made an honest-to-god shilling. In a day! It was more money than my folks'd ever seen in their lives. And... hm. Worst is probably when the gobbos ran through a few seasons back. Gutted all the pigs, plus burnt most of the crops. It was a real rough winter. Ain't gonna forget that any time soon.

What are your religious beliefs? One in ten for Ranald, yeah?

To whom, or what, are you loyal? Me, anyone I deem mine, and me again. It's a tough goddamn world out there. Y'gotta be lookin' for yourself first.

Why are you adventuring? Well, half to stay in the path of the caravans, the other half to find that gently caress that stole my ring.

---

Ranald, take the wheel!: 2#1d100 15 54 Human Entertainer
10#2d10 12 10 14 10 15 9 10 6...
Extra Career Rolls: 2#1d100 10 89 Priest, Cavalryman

Random Talents: 3#1d100 80 14 80 Attractive, Strong Legs
Duplicate Talent Reroll: 1d100 52 Noble Blood

Tricky fucked around with this message at Oct 4, 2018 around 02:27

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

New WFRP is exciting. I'll try and put a dude together for this.

Race & Career: 2#1d100 60 20 - A human investigator

Human stats: 10#2d10+20 27 34 31 30 31 29 24 30 31 31 - of very average abilities (might have to rearrange these)

Random talents: 3#1d100 49 65 19 - a Nimble-fingered Craftsman, able to Read and Write.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Never played this, but I love Bloodbowl so I'll throw my hat in:

Name: Rolf the Horseman:
Race: Human
Class: Warrior Cavalryman
Short-Term Ambition kill my first orc, mutant, or ratman.
Long-Term Ambition Winning a hereditary title from the Emperor

Where are you from?

I'm from Streissen, in Averland. Well Duke Leopold's manor outside Heideck.

We raise horses for Duke Leopold, and guard his cattle. Mom, Dad, Aelfra my older sister, her husband Seamus. It's a good life, but a bit boring.
Mom taught me everything I know about how to take care of horses and cattle.

Dad taught me to ride horses, and how to measure the worth of a horse. Duke Leopold's horses are prized in Averland, because Dad and Grandfather (he died around when I was born) have been so successful at breeding and trading horses.

Aelfra hits like a mule, and sings like a bird. I miss her.
Seamus is okay, I don't like to talk bad about folks, but he's not much of a rider.

Peaceful for the most part, the raids out of the mountain rarely got to us, The Duke kept us drilling every summer though.
I was 7 when I was first able to hold a spear and ride at the same time.

Why did you leave home?

Two reasons. First Gunthar, the Counts Master Armsman, told stories about the marvels of the rest of the Empire. I loved those stories. As soon as I had saved enough money from racing Charra to buy her from the Count I left to see the rest of the Empire.
The second is, I was never going to be more than a servant working for Duke Leopold, or his heir Martell if I stayed on the estate. It might be prideful of me, but I wanted the chance to earn my own estate.

Kern, was the smith's son and my best friend growing up. I expect he'll take over for his dad eventually. He doesn't understand why anyone would ever want to leave the manor.

I've gotten to know a few people on the road. A flame-haired minstrel by the name of Kella is a lot of fun, but she has gotten me into trouble a few times. Pretty sure neither of us should go to Merfeld anytime soon.
And I took a brigand's arrow to the shoulder a month or so ago, was pretty painful at the time. Chervil a wandering apothecary patched me up, I let him ride behind me on Charra to the next town. Small man, but smart.

I want to have an estate like Duke Leopold does once I've seen the borders of the empire. Raise a bunch of kids, cattle, and horses.

My best memory is when I won my first horse race for the Duke. His armsman lifted me over their shoulders and I remember everyone cheering my name.

The worst memory was watching a witch burn in Averheim. I had just arrived in town, on my first trip their with my dad. I still hear her screams in my nightmares.

Sigmund takes care of those that take care of themselves. I'm not a big believer in astrology, but if a star-seer tells you to stay home today, you stay home.

I'm loyal to the Empire, and I'm not one that would leave a friend behind. If I give my word to you, you can count on it.

Why are you adventuring?

To see as much of the empire as I can, and to win a fortune or title.

pre:
 Characteristics:
Weapon Skill:  40 (+3) 
Ballistic Skill:  30 
Strength:  35 
Toughness:  37 
Initiative:  34 
Agility:  39 (+2) 
Dexterity:  30  
Intelligence:  33  
Willpower:  33
Fellowship:  30 
Wounds:  12 (15 from Hardy) 
Fate:  4
Resilience:  2 
Movement:  4

Talents:
Doomed "The Myrmidian spring is thy poison."
Savvy: You gain a permanent +5 bonus to your starting Intelligence (this does not count towards your Advances).
Hardy
Max: Toughness Bonus
You gain a permanent addition to your Wounds, equal to your Toughness Bonus. If your Toughness Bonus should increase,
then the number of Wounds Hardy provides also increases.
Lightning Reflexes
Max: 1
You gain a permanent +5 bonus to your starting Agility Characteristic (this does not count towards your Advances).
Supernumerate: (human calculator) + 1 Success Level for successful gamble or evaluate checks.
Combat Aware:
Tests: Perception during melee
You are used to scanning the battlefield to make snap decisions informed by the shifting tides of war.
You may take a Challenging (+0) Perception Test to ignore Surprise, which is modified by circumstance as normal.

Skills:
Human(Reiklander):
Animal Care +5,  Charm , Cool , Evaluate +5, Gossip, Haggle, Language (Bretonnian), Language (Wastelander), Leadership +3,
Lore (Reikland), Melee (Basic), Ranged (Bow) +5 
Warrior (Cavalryman):
Animal Care, Charm Animal +5, Endurance +5, Language (Battle), Melee (Basic) +10, Outdoor Survival +5, Perception +5,
Ride (Horse) +5

Trappings: 
Clothing, Axe, Dagger, Pouch, Leather Jack, Riding Horse (Charra) with Saddle and Tack
Cash: 15 Silver cash roll: 2d10 15

Total XP: 45 Spent XP: 0

Rolls:
Race: race roll: 1d100 28 Human +20 XP
Class and Career 1: class and career: 1d100 41 Peasant Hunter
Class and Career 2:class and career 2: 1d100 90 Warrior Cavalryman +25 XP
Class and Career 3: class and career 3: 1d100 56 Ranger Flagellant
Characteristics:
characteristics rolls: 10#2d10 3 9 15 13 7 11 6 10 12 11
stats roll 2: 10#2d10 10 17 15 17 8 12 13 10 14 10
Random Talents:
random talents: 2#1d100 27 30 Hardy Lightning Reflexes
random talents: 1d100 27 Duplicate
random talents: 1d100 89 Supernumarate
Doom Roll:
Doom: 1d100 82

Mykkel fucked around with this message at Oct 4, 2018 around 11:54

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

New challengers:

Super Numerate is a bit of a dud—it just lets you use a calculator to represent what your character can do for math in their head. On the flip side, you got two pretty excellent talents to go with Cavalryman otherwise:

Hardy
Max: Toughness Bonus
You gain a permanent addition to your Wounds, equal to your Toughness Bonus. If your Toughness Bonus should increase, then the number of Wounds Hardy provides also increases.

Lightning Reflexes
Max: 1
You gain a permanent +5 bonus to your starting Agility Characteristic (this does not count towards your Advances).

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mykkel posted:

Never played this, but I love Bloodbowl so I'll throw my hat in:

Just as a note, Bloodbowl has nothing to do with Warhammer Fantasy except for the names of the races/units - it is explicitly a non-canon mashup.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Supernumerate is actually super good...if you want to gamble or do mercantile evaluation. It also gives a bonus to Gamble and Evaluate, see, and those bonuses are quite nice.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Good call, I overlooked that. For reference: when a talent has Tests listed, it provides a bonus +1 success level to successful checks of those skills. So as Mors noted, Super Numerate gives +1 SL to Evaluate and Gamble checks that are successful, for instance.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

chin up everything sucks posted:

Just as a note, Bloodbowl has nothing to do with Warhammer Fantasy except for the names of the races/units - it is explicitly a non-canon mashup.

crush my dreams of getting a career as a runner.

Okay I've edited my character post to include what I think I needed to from the career card.

Let me know if I've missed something.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

GaistHeidegger posted:

Good call, I overlooked that. For reference: when a talent has Tests listed, it provides a bonus +1 success level to successful checks of those skills. So as Mors noted, Super Numerate gives +1 SL to Evaluate and Gamble checks that are successful, for instance.

Per purchase, even! You can repurchase some talents several times, and for ones that are in the area of poo poo you want to do, it is worth the XP cost.

e: also do we have to spend chargen XP or can we bank it for later, I wanna grab Bless but being able to actually read and write was important.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

It's OK to bank XP.

Combat Aware
Tests: Perception during melee
You are used to scanning the battlefield to make snap decisions informed by the shifting tides of war.You may take a Challenging (+0) Perception Test to ignore Surprise, which is modified by circumstance as normal.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the Void

Name: Gottfried Schäfer
Class: Ranger
Career: Witch Hunter

WS: 34
BS: 31
S: 34
T: 40 (+5)
I: 32
Ag: 31
Dex: 30
Int: 30 (Savvy)
WP: 38 (Coolheaded)
Fel: 29

Wounds: 14

Skills:
Charm 3, Consume Alcohol 5, Cool 5, Evaluate 3, Gossip 3, Heal 5, Intuition 10, Lore (Reikland) 5, Lore (Torture) 5, Melee (Basic) 10, Perception 10

Talents:
Ambidextrous, Coolheaded, Doomed ("Thy generosity bringeth tuppence and a sword in return."), Mimic, Night Vision, Read/Write, Savvy

Trappings:
Backpack w/ Tinderbox, Blanket, Cloak, Clothing, Dagger, Hand Weapon, Instruments of Torture (Unused), Pouch, Rations (1 day)

XP Earned: 120
XP Spent On: Coolheaded (100)

Race & Class: 2#1d100 18 60: Human Witch Hunter.
Stats: 10#2d10+20 34 31 34 35 32 31 30 25 33 29
Talents: 3#1d100 43 46 4 Mimic, Night Vision, Ambidextrous
Money: 1d10 5

Short term Ambition: Save an innocent from a creature of darkness.
Long term Ambition: Cleanse Reikland of chaos so that his family will be safe.

Where are you from? Just outside of Rottfurt, near the Hammastrat pastures.

What is your family like? My mother's a priestess of Rhya and my father is a priest of Taal. I was the eldest of nine children: three brothers, five sisters. I haven't seen them since I left for my training though; it's possible that I have even more siblings now!

What was your childhood like? Busy and crowded! I was actually several years older than the other children, so it often fell to me to take care of them when mother and father couldn't. Ma was a midwife and healer, so she was often away tending to her patients, and Da would disappear into the wilderness for days at a time. When we weren't kept home by lessons or chores, we ran like rabbits through the pastures around our home, terrorizing sheep and villager alike.

Why did you leave home? Shortly after I came of age my family was visited by a witch hunter. I was scared to death! I thought he was coming to burn the house down, but Ma greeted Herr Mönch like they were old friends. I was to leave right away, to begin my apprenticeship with him. A very great honor, Herr Mönch assured me. I left with him and began my training that night.

Who are your best friends? My sister Gretl and my brother Stefan. Gretl was only a little younger than me and she was a terrible influence. She had an uncanny ability to find places we weren't supposed to go and all manner of trinkets that we probably weren't supposed to find. She got me in trouble more times than I can count, but we always had so much fun that it was worth it. Stefan was a bit younger still, and followed Gretl like a puppy. He was quiet and a bit timid, but he was the best lookout you could ever ask for. Smart as a whip, too!

What is your greatest desire? I know it's a foolish hope, but I wish that someday Chaos will be pushed far enough back that our order isn't needed anymore. I know it won't happen in my lifetime, but perhaps I can bring that day a bit sooner for my descendants. I'd also like to raise a family someday so I can have descendants, but perhaps that hope is just as foolish. This life isn't a kind one, after all.

What are your best and worst memories? Best was when my da used to take me to the woods with him. He'd tell me the stories behind the old stones, or show me how to find the herbs for ma's poultices. Sometimes we'd come across a wounded animal, and he'd show me how to heal them and how not to frighten them. I think if I hadn't been chosen by Herr Mönch I would have followed in da's footsteps.

As for the worst...my training showed me some ugly things. I remember that we needed information from a cultist that we captured, and she wouldn't talk to either of us. So we had to...hurt her. I know we had to, and I know the information we finally got out of her saved lives and souls in the end, but I still have nightmares where I can hear her scream. Sigmar forgive me, I never want to do that again.

What are your religious beliefs? It's a bit complicated, I suppose. I was raised all my life on the teachings of Taal and Rhya, but as and apprentice of the Order I must put Sigmar's law above all things. And I do, as much as possible, but I'll not put the gods of my family aside completely.

To whom, or what, are you loyal?To my duty and to my family. I would do anything for them.

Why are you adventuring? Well, I can't expect the forces of darkness to simply knock on my door, can I? And adventurers are all about finding hidden dangers and uncovering unpleasant secrets.

Izzy fucked around with this message at Oct 7, 2018 around 20:59

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think my thing is complete now.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

So any chance we could setup discord? IRC is blocked at work.

And good source to read up on the current WFRP fluff? I could spin a good background for a 40k character without help. But I’m a bit lost on the fantasy world.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

I really hate that there's only a 10% chance to not be Human if you roll, so I did my own random roll (not going to claim the bonus XP or anything, I just wanted to randomly determine my race without a 90% chance to be Human), and ended up rolling a High Elf

Class and Career, First Roll 41, Spy, going to keep my first roll for +50 XP
Attributes Rolled down the line without swapping any results, so another +50 XP
Starting Money (Brass 3): 36 pennies

Athloranel, High Elf Spy

Where are you from?
Cothique, although it's been some time since I last visited.

Seafarers and traders, mostly.

Dull, and I'll never be able to forget the smell of fish and seawater no matter how much I try.

Why did you leave home?
Because I had actual ambition, and wanted to have a political career. ...Somehow that ended up with me being sent here to "collect information".

Gold and jewels will never betray me, and have saved me from trouble many times over.

To get away from all these filthy Humans, which sadly requires more money than I have.

Best memory was finally being trusted to carry out a mission in my Prince's name. Worst was when that idiotic stevedore had to have cheated at that card game.

I'd tell you, but you clearly wouldn't understand Asur religion.

I serve a Prince back in Cothique, but mostly I look out for myself.

Why are you adventuring?
Do you recall the card game I mentioned earlier? I may have been slightly inebriated and made a terrible bet with that dockworker. ...And also that might not have been my only experience with gambling. Now I have almost no money to my name.

quote:

Name: Athloranel
Species: High Elf
Class: Courtier
Career: Spy (Informer) [Ag, WP, Fel]
Motivation: Heavily in debt

Height: 6'5"
Eye Color: Emerald
Hair Color: Red Blond

XP: 100
Spent: 100

WS: 41 (30+11)
BS: 42 (30+12)
S: 32 (20+12)
T: 30 (20+10)
I: 56 (40+16)
Ag: 40 (30+10)
Dex: 35 (30+5)
Int: 50 (30+15)+5[Savvy]
WP: 38 (30+4)+4[Advances]
Fel: 37 (20+12)+5 [Advances]

Wounds: 12/12
Fate: 0
Resilience: 2/2
Movement: 5

Skills:
*Bribery +5
*Charm +10
*Cool +5
Evaluate +3
*Gamble +5
*Gossip +5
*Haggle +5
Melee (Basic) +5
Navigation +3
*Perception +10
Ranged (Bow) +3
*Stealth (Rural) +5

Talents:
Acute Sense (Sight)
Blather
Night Vision
Read/Write
Savvy
Sixth Sense

Trappings:
Courtly Garb
Hooded Cloak
Dagger
Charcoal Stick
Pouch (w/ Tweezers)
Sling Bag (w/ two sets of clothing)
Ear Pick
Comb

Money: 36 pennies

Advances:
Fel +5 [Free]
WP +4 [100]

Astus fucked around with this message at Oct 4, 2018 around 21:46

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Oh yeah I just loving love making random Warhammer characters.

Species & Career: 2#1d100 11 22 Huh, another Human Ratcatcher EDIT: I wanted the extra XP but screw it, let's get some variety in here: Career rerolls: 2#1d100 30 69 That's Duellist or Seaman*

EDIT2: Unscrew it, those Talents just fit the Ratcatcher theme too well, and the other options are not inspiring me.

Attributes: 10#2d10+20 31 35 33 26 30 35 31 35 27 33

Random Talents: 3#1d100 4 7 27 Ambidextrous, Animal Affinity, and Hardy

I'm going to finish this later after mulling it over.

*It cannot be a coincidence that 69 is Seaman

Money roll: Money roll (Brass 3): 6d10 26

Name: Friso
Race: Human
Class: Burgher | Ratcatcher
Attributes:
    WS: 31
    BS: 36 (incl. +1 from character creation)
    S: 33
    T: 30 (incl. +4 from character creation)
    I: 30
    Ag: 35
    Dex: 31
    Int: 40 (Incl. +5 from Savvy)
    Wil: 27
    Fel: 33

Wounds: 14

Skills: Animal Care +8'', Animal Training(Dog) +8'', Athletics+5, Charm, Charm Animal +3', Consume Alcohol+5, Cool+5, Endurance+5, Evaluate, Gossip, Haggle+3, Language (Bretonnian), Language (Wastelander), Leadership, Lore (Reikland), Melee (Basic) +5', Ranged (Bow), Ranged (Sling) +10'', Stealth(Urban) +10'

Talents: Ambidextrous, Animal Affinity, Doomed, Hardy, Night Vision, and Savvy.

Trappings: Cloak, Clothing, Dagger, Hat, Pouch(with 26 brass pennies), Sack, Sling with Ammunition, Sling Bag containing Lunch, Small but Vicious Dog

Where are you from? Bögenhafen. Or rather, a small hut just outside, but I mostly spent the days in town.
What is your family like? I used to live with my parents, grandparents, great grandmother, two uncles, an aunt, four cousins and four siblings in one cramped hut. It was just as awful as you can imagine.
What was your childhood like? Crowded. I mostly spent my time avoiding home. At least that part was pretty easy. With two or more older siblings and just as many on the other end, no one paid much attention to me. So I snuck out, usually into town. At first I was going through people's trash looking for food, especially the bakery, but I eventually found a talent in catching rats, which I could then trade for other stuff. When this started earning me a real income, my family found out and started demanding I provide for them.
Why did you leave home? I had fantasized about leaving for a long time. I spent all day catching rats to feed the family but all they did was moan and complain and demand more. The tipping point came when I caught them trying to catch and eat Drippy. I grabbed him and ran away and never looked back.
Who are your best friends? My dog Drippy, of course! I found him floating down the river Bögen in a sack. His siblings had drowned, but I managed to save him. Also the old baker in town, Wernike, he often gave me leftovers when I was little.
What is your greatest desire? To be important and respected. To have my efforts recognized.
What are your best and worst memories? My best memory is when Wernike told me it was my birthday and gave me a cake. I never knew I had a birthday, or that it was something to celebrate. But I try to do something special on that day every year now. My worst memory is from one really cold winter when I woke up to find my favourite sister, Magda, had died in the night. Mother handed me a broken shovel, told me it was time for me to grow up, and sent me to bury her in the frozen earth.
What are your religious beliefs? I'm usually too busy to spend a lot of time thinking about the gods, but when I do, I think of Shallya and the nice priestesses in her church.
To whom, or what, are you loyal? Above all, I'm loyal to Drippy. Second, as sick as it may sound to you, I'm loyal to my family. You have to love your family, after all, right? It wasn't all bad.
Why are you adventuring? I can't go on spending every day toiling just to barely support me and my family. I'm looking for an opportunity to either make me rich enough to support them without breaking my back, or die trying.

Short-Term Ambition: Get money. Send some back to the family to support them.
Long-Term Ambition: Earn lasting respect. And my own, spacious, home.
Doom: "A turning wheel shall break thee."

XP: 45 (after spending 50 on skills)

Werewhale fucked around with this message at Oct 4, 2018 around 09:44

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

And here's the witch hunter:

Edit: And spy:

Quite a theme starting to coalesce between the characters queuing up thus far, I must say!

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at Oct 3, 2018 around 02:22

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Hell yeah, I love randomized WFRP.

Race: 59, Human

Class and Career: 17 Artisan. Nope, gonna swallow my manmode pride, my next couple rolls are too good for a potential ranged dude to pass them up.

2 More Career Options: 30 12 Duelist or Scholar. I'll take Duelist.

Attributes: 33 40 30 31 27 28 36 30 27 29

Random Talents: 40 27 62, Marksman, Hardy, Pure Soul.

Starting Silver and Bandages: 3d10 24 1d10 2

I'll stick with all the rest, so that's 95 Bonus XP.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rosamunde Echstein

Where are you from?

Altdorf, Crown of the Glorious Empire! So long as you don't mind the smell, that is.

My father Johann is gamewarden at the summer estate of a minor noble family. You know, the fellows who chase off poachers and make sure the forests are clear of beastmen and bandits.

My mother Gertraud was a wealthy antiques merchant, but she and my baby brother fell ill when I was... six or seven? I still miss her. I think she would have been proud to see my skill with the blade and bow. I can hardly recall her face, but Father says I remind him of her terribly.

The loss of my mother was painful, but I was young enough to get over it quickly. As for my brother, he hardly lived before he passed on, and so I never knew him to miss him.

Father used to take me with him when he performed personal inspections of the estate, and together we spent hours in those woods. And of course, only a fool brings a defenseless girl into the forests of the Old World, so he taught me how to fight himself. Did he do a fine job? I've never been defeated in a fair fight. Make your own judgements.

I found the blade to be to my liking, so I convinced Father to pay for my tuition to one of Altdorf's dueling schools. I quickly climbed my way to the top and graduated with a personal commendation from the Master. After that, I spent some time loitering about Altdorf, dueling students from other schools, but there was no money in it, so I moved on to adventure.

Why did you leave home?

Well, Father isn't getting any younger. I could take over his position, but frankly, I find the idea of fretting over some distant estate for the rest of my life terribly boring. It would be a waste of my time and talents. I'd much rather make my silver with my own two hands and a blade. One day I'll be rich and famous.

And I'll also admit that I'd never willingly work for the current heir of that noble family. He's a vile pig and I'd slit his throat within a week if I had to put up with him on a regular basis.

Oh, I had a few back at Master Henryk's school. Mostly dueling partners who weren't too proud to admit I was better than them. Some people respond to a sound beating in practice duels by coming to you for advice. Others swear revenge and earn themselves a future full of humiliation. Katrina fell into the first category, as did the twins Friedrich and Gerhart. Kat was a smart girl, full of energy, and I'll admit I've never matched her relentless ferocity. I only beat her on footwork. The twins liked to pretend to be each other to try to throw people off, but they were never good enough at imitating each other's styles to fool me once the fight started.

To be known across the whole Empire and beyond as an indisputable master of the dueling arts.

My best memories are the times I spent with my Father exploring the woods, especially the time we stumbled across a whole group of deer without them noticing us. We spent nearly five minutes watching the fawns frolic before the herd saw us and spooked. Almost a shame that they've probably all been hunted down for the amusement of those nobles by now.

My worst... you recall I told you I've never lost a fair fight? I once got into an argument in a tavern with some fool named Sebastien Hoermann. He insisted he could beat me with one hand. I disagreed strongly. We met outside for a match to first blood, but I swear the bastard must have slipped something into my drink at the start of the argument. I couldn't feel my legs and he nicked me within seconds. I can hold my liquor, and I've certainly never had a hangover and numbness last 3 days. And to further prove his guilt, after spending my recovery period bragging about beating me to anyone who would listen, the bastard skipped town, like he knew just how long it would take for me to be ready to feed him his teeth. If I cross paths with that rat again I'm not sure if I'll kill him or merely humiliate him so badly he has to give up dueling for good.

I say a prayer to Myrmidia before every duel. Not for help; as Father always told me, the Gods help those who help themselves. I just want to make sure she's watching. After all, a duel is ultimately a matter of strategy: footwork, outwitting your foe, picking the right moment to strike. And there's Sigmar, I suppose. I grew up in Altdorf, so of course I say a prayer to him now and then.

Myself, my friends, and the Empire. Everyone else comes second.

Why are you adventuring?

For the fame and fortune, in that order. The thrills are just a side benefit.

Short-Term Ambition: Force a more famous duelist to admit defeat in a public bout. Preferably Sebastien, but he could be anywhere by now.

Long-Term Ambition: To open her own successful dueling school.

quote:

Name: Rosamunde Echstein
Class: Courtier
Career: Duelist (Fencer-Silver 3)

Height: 5'9"
Hair: Red
Eyes: Green

XP: 5 (Spent: 90/95)

Weapon Skill: 33
Ballistic Skill: 45
Strength: 30
Toughness: 31
Initiative: 30 (+3)
Agility: 30 (+2)
Dexterity: 36
Intelligence: 30
Willpower: 27
Fellowship: 34
Wounds: 11 (+3 Hardy)

Motivation: Hotheaded Braggart (Rosamunde cannot resist rising to a challenge, even a perceived one, and is equally quick to challenge others when her pride is wounded).

Skills: Animal Care +3, Athletics +5, Dodge +10, Cool +5, Endurance +5, Haggle +5, Heal +4, Intuition +5, Language (Classical) +5, Melee (Basic) +3, Melee (Rapier) +10, Perception +5, Ranged (Bow) +5
Talents: Doomed, Hardy, Marksman, Pure Soul, Step Aside, Suave
Trappings: Rapier, Dagger, Leather Jack, Leather Skullcap, Courtly Garb, Pouch (Tweezers, Ear Pick, Comb), Sling Bag (Clothing, 2 Bandages), 4 Silver Shillings

Doomed: "Beneath the watchful eye of one long dead, thy blood shall pool and flow no more."
Hardy (Max: TB): You gain a permanent addition to your Wounds, equal to your Toughness Bonus. If your Toughness Bonus should increase, then the number of Wounds Hardy provides also increases.
Marksman: You gain a permanent +5 bonus to your starting Ballistic Skill (this does not count towards your Advances).
Pure Soul (Max: WPB): Your soul is pure, quite resistant to the depredations of Chaos. You may gain extra Corruption points equal to your level of Pure Soul before having to Test to see if you become corrupt.
Step Aside (Max: AGB): You are skilled at being where enemy weapons are not. If you use Dodge to defend against an incoming attack and win the Opposed Test, you may move up to 2 yards as you dive away, and no longer count as Engaged. None of your opponents will gain a Free Attack when you do this.
Suave: You gain a permanent +5 bonus to your starting Fellowship (this does not count towards your Advances).

Starting Purchases (20/24):

Leather Jack (12 Silver)
Leather Skullcap (8 Silver)

XP Expenditures (90/95):

Language (Classical) +5-50
Heal +4-40

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at Oct 3, 2018 around 21:45

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth

Name: Sinfonie Schädeldieb
Class: Rogue
Career: Grave Robber

XP: 20

Weapon Skill: 32
Ballistic Skill: 36
Strength: 31
Toughness: 32
Initiative: 41 (36+5)
Agility: 30
Dexterity: 35
Intelligence: 34
Willpower: 36 (32+4)
Fellowship: 30
Extra Points: 0

Humans (Reiklander)
Skills: Animal Care, Charm, Cool +5, Evaluate, Gossip +5, Haggle +3, Language (Bretonnian +3), Language (Wastelander +3), Leadership, Lore (Reikland), Melee (Basic), Ranged (Bow +5)
Talents: Doomed, Savvy, Resistance (Disease), Linguistics, Marksman

Rogue (Grave Robber)
Skills: Climb +5, Cool +5, Dodge +5, Endurance +5, Gossip +5, Intuition +5, Perception +5, Stealth (Urban +5)
Talents: Alley Cat
Clothing, Dagger, Pouch, Sling Bag containing 2 Candles, 1d10 Matches, a Hood or Mask, Crowbar, Handcart, Hooded Cloak, Tarpaulin

Height: 6'0"
Eyes: Grey
Hair: Golden Blonde

Where are you from?

Altdorf city. Born and raised in the Reek, as they say. Home's a crowded slum, the neighbors are all criminal ne'er-do-wells, and if you put a foot out of place the Watch will chop it off sure as poo poo flows in the river.

In the ground, mostly. Plague took some of 'em, the war others. A couple hanged. Ma and me are still around, and cousin Willi sends a letter with a shilling for Ma once a year. He's in one of the regiments, doing all right for hisself.

Running around in the gutters chasing other little scrapers, rats and lost pennies. Getting in fights. Learning to avoid the Watch. Started in the family trade when I was big enough to use the shovel.

Why did you leave home?

Little bit too much attention from the authorities on us honest working folk after some daft wizard stitched a bunch of bodies together and bought the thing to life. I only sells to honest physicians and scholars, but try telling that to some busybody in a big hat and see how far it gets you.

It's not a life conducive to social activity, really. Tend to have associates more than friends. I probably speak more to my crowbar than to anyone else, so let's say Old Crow is me mate.

Wealth, mate. Crowns. Enough to be able to move Ma out of the city to a nice quite place that doesn't smell so bad in summer.

Best memory was the time I was helping Da get a body out of the garden for a client, and she had a fancy necklace on that Da let me keep. I had to sell it later for medicine, but it was a lovely thing to have as a secret.

Worst would probably be burying all my little brothers when the plague took them. Da was too sick to help, and Ma was beside herself with grief, so it fell to me. I made sure they were good and deep, out of the way so they could get some peace.

I pray on feast days, mostly. Propitiate Morr when I'm working.

The Emperor, I guess? My family. Hard cash.

Why are you adventuring?

Like I said, there's too many eyes on the graveyards these days. Time to look into another career, or at least somewhere safer to practice.

Short term Ambition

Acquire 1 Gold Crown

Long term Ambition

Buy a house outside Altdorf

race: 1d100 66 Human
career: 1d100 79 Grave Robber
Characteristics: 10#2d10 12 11 11 12 16 10 15 9 12 10
random talents: 3#1d100 66 32 40
starting brass: 4d10 22

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at Oct 5, 2018 around 02:08

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Duelist & Grave Robber

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the Void

BTW, I have Tome of Salvation if people with human characters want to roll up their DOOM randomly.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

pre:
Elise Gottfield, Female Human Scholar. 20xp.

WS  BS   S   T   I  Agi  Dex  Int  WP  Fel   Fate  Resiliance   Movement  Wounds
base	33  29  40  31  34  33   32    29  36   26    2         1           4	    15
adv		  		           +4	      1		2
total	33  29  40  31  34  33   32    29  40   26    3 	3	    4	    15

Skills:
Human (Bretonnian): 
Animal Care, Charm, Cool +3, Evaluate +5, Gossip +5, Haggle +5, Language (Bretonnian) +3, Language (Wastelander), Leadership +3, Lore (Reikland) +5, Melee (Basic) +5, Ranged (Bow),

Student:
Consume Alcohol +5, Entertain (Storytelling) +5, Gamble +5, Language (Classical) +5, Lore (Bretonnian) +5, Research +5

Talents:
Doomed - "Thy doom is wrought from violence."
Savvy - +5 int, doesn't count vs advances
Hardy - +3 wounds
Pure Soul - lets you incur additional corruption points
Very Strong - +5 to S, doesn't count vs advances.
Read/Write - Lets me read and write. 

Trappings:
Clothing, Dagger, Pouch, Sling Bag containing Writing Kit and 1d10 sheets of Parchment
Alcohol, Book, Opinions, Writing Kit.

Advances:
+2 Int
+2 WP

Appearance and Background
30 years old, 5'3", 120 lbs with corn colored hair, and blue eyes. She has a curious smell about her.
She has three siblings, one sister and two brothers.
She was born under The Drummer, the sign of Excess and Hedonism.
She's a Nordlander, born and raised on a cattle farm.
Where are you from?
Oldenlitz, just north of the Silver Hills in Nordland. Well, outside there. 's a cattle farming village just on the border of High Elf territory. Didn't see many of them slip by though, you know how they're like with secrets and keeping to themselves.

Aye, they're alright. Family's family, innit? Had a brother that didn't make it to adulthood, but who doesn't. Mum and dad are farmers an' the other two brothers and sister have stayed up in the north to help around the farm or work in the fields. My problem is I'm too smart, an' my dad said I had to go to school and learn. Rest of the family didn't much like that; not because they've got ideas about their station or nothin', mind, but because they know that it's probably all for naught. Dad's a dreamer, though. Hope I don't gently caress it up.

's alright. You start working early, an' everyone expects a Nordlander that's raised on a farm to know how to milk a cow, geld a bull, and slaughter a calf before they're eight years. Weirdly, pretty much everyone's right. I got to keep my gelding knife, so hands to yourself. Didn't go to the city much because I didn't really have much cause to. Dad took us through for market but the idea of standin' in a pen while a pox-faced bloke rambles on about the coin you'd get for a heffer isn't exactly the metropolitcal experience you'd hope for.

Mum and dad realised that there was somethin' funny about me when I worked out the auctioneer wasn't givin' my dad all the money he said he was owed. Dad ain't much of a counter, and I was even when I was wee. I did his numbers for a while and- well, looking back on it I can tell that he was sad because he knew that he'd lose me to some school or another. Wanted me around to make sure things ran okay, didn't he, but i figure if I can use my brain to achieve somethin' rather than my hands that's all to the good. Don't get me wrong, mind! Back in the college, you'd get boys that'd lose a purse on arm wrestling the wee blonde girl. Robes do a lot to hide that Nordlander farm physique.

Why did you leave home?
My dad wanted me to go to school. Sacrificed a lot for it, and I hope I can make it all worthwhile.

Probably my brothers and sister? Classic Nordlanders. Tall, strong, blonde with blue eyes and willin' to work when others ain't. I have a little bit of trouble fittin' in around places; a lot of the folk here think that a student that comes from a farm ain't up to the airs and graces that they see themselves as bein' of. gently caress 'em. Some of them are nice, though, mind. Calvin Theodore's a good lad. Kind, clever, but too kind and too clever. You'd not think someone would get trouble for bein' too smart for their own good in a school but he managed it. I look out for 'im though.

Make my dad proud, make the sacrifices the rest of the family went through to put me into a school worth it.

Best memories is probably the first day in the school. You ever get that sense that somethin' is the first day of the rest of your life? Aye, it was like that. That moment of seeing what things could be if you could play your cards right, knuckle down an' work. Probably the worst memory was from the first night at the school, so it's all kind of jumbled up. All these rich kids, just kind of lolling around, not minding themselves and- giving you that constant reminder that no matter who you is or what you do you'll never be seen the same way they are, 'cos their mum happened to be in a fancy house when she squeezed them out. gently caress that, an' gently caress them too.

Light a candle to Verena, Shallya and Sigmar once a day. The gods protect us and keep us, cherish us and hold us. They won't tie your boot laces, though. Gods help those who 'elp themselves.

I'd say knowledge, essential truth, pursuit of knowing, if I was feelin' lofty minded at the time. If I weren't, I'd say the empire. I mean, I'd probably say the empire too, 'course, but-

Why are you adventuring?
Couldn't afford to do a masters.

Short Term Goal
Long Term Goal

Sion fucked around with this message at Oct 6, 2018 around 15:19

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

A note for species skills, you pick 3 to have at 5 and 3 to have at 3.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Izzy posted:

BTW, I have Tome of Salvation if people with human characters want to roll up their DOOM randomly.

What's an 82 get me?

Also, could someone share what the Savvy talent does?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mykkel posted:

What's an 82 get me?

Also, could someone share what the Savvy talent does?

+5 Int; Suave is +5 Fel.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

This has proven to be quite the response for recruitment--given that we're at about twice the pool of characters I was aiming for. It's going to be tough to make determinations, but the process ought to begin; if any of you are still missing information you need to round out your prospective fortune-fated member of our shadowed entourage, let me know. I'll give a bit of time for folks to get character questions answered--a number of folks have already posted the Q&A from their own books, but for reference:

Where are you from?
Why did you leave home?
Why are you adventuring?

Given the number of apps, I'm going to have to sharpen my pencil a bit and will be putting an eye towards ideally a good combination of interesting characters with a combination of careers and themes that would gel together well. In the meantime, thank you everyone who has expressed interest, I'm quite keen to see where this goes.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Man I loving love WFRP. I'm gonna make a duder for this tonight. How different is 4E from, say, 2E? I know 3E went the way of FFG Star Wars but is this more back to the basics? I haven't had a chance to look at it much. I'll get basic rolls up shortly.

e: WE'RE GOIN' MAN MODE, BABY

John Dyne - Species: 1d100 1
Human

John Dyne - Career: 1d100 87
Thief

John Dyne - Attributes: 10#2d10+20 37 34 29 22 29 35 29 27 29 31

WS 37
BS 34
S 29
T 22 +5 Sturdy
Init 29
Ag 35
Dex 29
Int 27 +5 Savvy
WP 29
Fel 31 +5 Suave

John Dyne - Random Talents: 3#1d100 37 71 37
Luck, Savvy, and reroll on second Luck

John Dyne - Talent Re-Roll #1: 1d100 83
Sturdy

Skills: Animal Care, Charm, Cool, Evaluate, Gossip, Haggle, Language (Bretonnian), Language (Wastelander), Leadership, Lore (Reikland), Melee (Basic), Ranged (Bow)
Talents: Doomed, Suave, Luck, Savvy, Sturdy

Where are you from?
Why did you leave home?
Why are you adventuring?

Rest of the fluff and crunch will be done when I'm not phone posting at work.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at Oct 3, 2018 around 15:37

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

John Dyne posted:

Man I loving love WFRP. I'm gonna make a duder for this tonight. How different is 4E from, say, 2E? I know 3E went the way of FFG Star Wars but is this more back to the basics? I haven't had a chance to look at it much.

Mechanically, you'll recognize most of it but there's been a lot of shifts. Same basic resolution system though.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Marking my interest to roll up a random char tomorrow.

Come on, tiny XP bonuses!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

John Dyne posted:

John Dyne - Random Talents: 3#1d100 37 71 37
Luck, Savvy, and do I reroll the second 37 or shift?

You may choose to reroll or to just have Luck twice, since you can have Luck a number of times equal to your Fel Bonus; it gives +1 Fortune Points per purchase, on top of your base amount from Fate.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

I rerolled before I was aware it stacked, so for purposes of transparency and all that I'ma take the new roll. I edited it in to the original post.

e: vvv lmao i misread one of these as sturdy somehow

John Dyne fucked around with this message at Oct 3, 2018 around 15:36

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You...actually are gonna have to reroll again. Because humans get one of Savvy or Suave innately and you can only have both of those once apiece.

• Locked thread
«2 »