Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MonikaTSarn posted:

Is Marvel still a cash cow ? With Endgame, no new movies in a while, at least for me it's kind of over. Doesn't help that the WandaVision trailer was so incredibly bad.

WandaVision may not be your bag, but people are gonna flock to Loki and Falcon/Winter Soldier in particular, and its not like we're not still getting more MCU films -- 2020 was an aberration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah WandaVision looks rad as hell, not sure what you're talking about. Of course that could be partly due to the fact that the summer daycare I went to for several years as a kid was just in some lady's house and she always had the TV on to a channel that played those old supernatural sitcoms like Bewitched and I Dream of Genie so I might have more familiarity with those tropes they're parodying than other people my age (also The Price is Right).

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I think the primary reason for me not caring about wandavision coming up is that I found their characters to be kind of forgettable in the films.

Wait, did the Vision actually return in the final battle of the Infinity Wars movie? I honestly forget.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Wait, did the Vision actually return in the final battle of the Infinity Wars movie? I honestly forget.

No, he's dead.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I think the primary reason for me not caring about wandavision coming up is that I found their characters to be kind of forgettable in the films.

After Wanda destroyed the mind stone, Thanos reversed time with the time stone just to bring Vision back to rip the stone out of his head. And then Vision was dead-dead, presumably.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Doronin posted:

After Wanda destroyed the mind stone, Thanos reversed time with the time stone just to bring Vision back to rip the stone out of his head. And then Vision was dead-dead, presumably.

Especially since Thanos then destroyed all the Infinity Stones, making it impossible to re-activate Vision by reinserting the Mind Stone.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's like the whole gimmick, that all we know is vision is dead and Wanda is apparently Going Through Some poo poo (although it is apparently the lead in to multiverse of madness so maybe it's not the same vision?? Tune in to find out I guess!)

Fwiw I thought the trailer looked good too, falcon and winter soldier not so much tho

site fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 14, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I haven't watched any of the trailers or looked up any info on the Marvel shows, but I'll probably give WandaVision a try just cause I have an irrational love for Paul Bettany, tho I don't care about either of the actual characters involved.

I assume Loki is some sort of Marvel version of Candid Camera otherwise I don't even know what you do with a Loki series.

Falcon/Winter soldier who knows. I don't really care about either character and I don't recall any instance of Mackie impressing me with his acting (and quite the opposite in Altered Carbon). That said the two characters involved mean it could just be a big action show so it could be good popcorn viewing :shrug:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Azhais posted:

I assume Loki is some sort of Marvel version of Candid Camera otherwise I don't even know what you do with a Loki series.

Judging by the trailer, Loki is some sort of heist movie/Catch Me If You Can sort of thing involving temporal police after his escape with the Tesseract in Endgame.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

howe_sam posted:

If we're talking the full Disney+ release schedule, there's also Loki coming out this summer and mayyyybe Hawkeye(s) later in the year as well.

I'd say it's more likely we'll get Ms. Marvel before Hawkeye, since there's a trailer of Ms. Marvel, and while it is mostly the crew talking about why they like the character and the actress who'll play her reacting to news she got the part there are snippets of actual filmed content in the trailer, like her talking to her father at the dinner table, her in her room with a poster of Carol or her talking with a friend in front of what seems to be an early costume she cobbled together and then talking to the same friend on a rooftop. It's only ever a few seconds of content, and not a full trailer by any stretch, but considering all we have of Hawkeye is casting and some set photos it seems like Ms. Marvel is definitively further along in the process.

thrawn527 posted:

Marvel is only not a cash cow at the moment because they didn't have any movies out in 2020. The moment they start again, I have no doubt people will flock to them again. They're the biggest movie franchise in the world.

One of the biggest things in Marvel's favour is that Disney has enough money in the bank they can sit on projects they consider good for the cinema for years if necessary while the pandemic plays out, and have them ready to roll out the second people start to feel safe to take advantage of a desire to do things outside their homes again. Most other studios need to start pushing stuff out the door asap to make some money back, so a lot of their content is being pushed to streaming services just to make some money back off it and fill in the financial hole a bit, giving them something to play with for future projects etc. As soon as lockdown is over though, you can guarantee people will want to go to the cinema. I'm not even a big film guy, and it's one of the things I'm looking forward to doing once lockdown is done. Disney can just wait till then, after which they have a slate of movies primed to go between Black Widow, Shang-Chi and Eternals and if things go longer, they can start adding Thor: Love & Thunder etc. on to that list too. With one rolling out in to cinemas a few weeks after the last finished it's run. People will be so desperate for a cinema experience that it's likely it won't matter what they're seeing, just that it's something shclocky that takes advantage of a bigger screen and speakers than they have at home. Which Marvel is basically perfect for. Dune, Fast & Furious 9 and a few others out next year might be that too, but the rights holders for them can't hold on as long, and even if they do manage to hold off it's still only a small amount of competing big films that could hold out that long to cover several months of next year, and maybe in to 2022. Marvel will have so much content, so little competition and so much time that they'll basically be big by default, most likely.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 15, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

tsob posted:

I'd say it's more likely we'll get Ms. Marvel before Hawkeye, since there's a trailer of Ms. Marvel, and while it is mostly the crew talking about why they like the character and the actress who'll play her reacting to news she got the part there are snippets of actual filmed content in the trailer, like her talking to her father at the dinner table, her in her room with a poster of Carol or her talking with a friend in front of what seems to be an early costume she cobbled together and then talking to the same friend on a rooftop. It's only ever a few seconds of content, and not a full trailer by any stretch, but considering all we have of Hawkeye is casting and some set photos it seems like Ms. Marvel is definitively further along in the process.

That's entirely possible, but Hawkeye feels like a show they can produce much faster than Ms. Marvel because the vfx work is going to mostly be animating arrows into shots and not embiggening the main character. I think they did that sizzle reel for Ms. Marvel because she's less of a known quantity than Hawkeye and it lets them talk up the diversity of their line up more.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm worried about ms marvel, all that stretching could look pretty terrible on the small screen

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hawkeye is filming right now. There's been leaked set photos and everything. It should be out before the end of the year, if they're able to get as quick a turnaround as they have for the two Mando seasons. And since it should have way less special effects eating up post production time, I don't see why they can't unless the reason is COVID. :shrug:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

jng2058 posted:

Hawkeye is filming right now. There's been leaked set photos and everything.

I mean, that's what I said. Ms. Marvel might have more visual effects work to do, but it's not some gargantuan task that its going to take months to slave over. Even shows with lots of VFX work, like The Good Place, could turn around a season in a year, from start to finish. Ms. Marvel has already obviously been in production with months to say there's any filmed footage at all. I don't think it's going to another year+ to get a finished season, even with more visual effects to create than other shows.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

howe_sam posted:

If we're talking the full Disney+ release schedule, there's also Loki coming out this summer and mayyyybe Hawkeye(s) later in the year as well.

What If?, Hawkeye, and Ms. Marvel are all officially dated for this year, as of right now, though who knows, a delay could happen

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Lars has apparently signed on to play thrawn in ahsoka series

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Spookydonut posted:

Lars has apparently signed on to play thrawn in ahsoka series

The correct decision.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Christ I hope that’s true

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Christ I hope that’s true

I couldnt find anything that wasn't click bait that confirmed it

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Alan Tudyk has confirmed that he's not filming scenes for Andor's first season, but if stories keep getting told (ie more seasons) he might make an appearance

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Vinylshadow posted:

Alan Tudyk has confirmed that he's not filming scenes for Andor's first season, but if stories keep getting told (ie more seasons) he might make an appearance

Well there goes my only interest in that series. I hated Cassian in the movie, and his relationship with K2 was about the only thing that made him bearable.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Well there goes my only interest in that series. I hated Cassian in the movie, and his relationship with K2 was about the only thing that made him bearable.

How can you hate a thin sketch of a character?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Would've preferred more Baze and Chirrut, because Guardians of the Whills was a hysterical read and I adore their Old Married Couple bickering so much

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This guys rendition of Darth Jar Jar convinced me that I really want to see the concept of an evil dark side Gungan fully realized in some form or another.

Because I've said it before and I'll say it again as far as Star Wars aliens go, Gungans look loving rad.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/v230na?fbclid=IwAR2nDK3xi5f_dTijwAt187SiP-WEEJYB6bjtCgGPKX1cgZjL9JMOwvjAQ7U

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Eyes not googly enough, 0/10.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
After Phantom Menace, I really liked the idea of a gungan having trained Palps. It was one of the ways I tried to make the movie salvageable. Lucas likes the noble savage thing and in a world where magic is real and people have a spiritual connection with the land, so it fit. My google-fu is weak but I was taught as a child that near the end of the Indian Wars the Lakota basically resorted to magic as a last-ditch effort to win. it didn't work. Even as a kid, I was taught that there was a lot of nuance to it and it was a religious ritual for the Lakota that the white man used as an excuse to do a genocide and "they are doing magic" was the justification for the genocide.

But if magic is real, that is a completely valid approach. So kiddie Palps gets rescued from drowning by a gungan who teaches him the ways of the force. The dark side. This fits in nicely with, to be extremely polite to Lucas, the "30s Serial" view of other cultures so gungans can have totemic practices that tap into the dark side.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

This guys rendition of Darth Jar Jar convinced me that I really want to see the concept of an evil dark side Gungan fully realized in some form or another.

Because I've said it before and I'll say it again as far as Star Wars aliens go, Gungans look loving rad.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/v230na?fbclid=IwAR2nDK3xi5f_dTijwAt187SiP-WEEJYB6bjtCgGPKX1cgZjL9JMOwvjAQ7U

I forget, has there ever been a Gungan Jedi (or at least one with force sensitivity) in the EU?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Larryb posted:

I forget, has there ever been a Gungan Jedi (or at least one with force sensitivity) in the EU?

Google says there's a legacy EU Gungan Jedi that turned out to be a Sith Lord but that he was created as an antagonist for a pen and paper RPG supplement campaign.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

Google says there's a legacy EU Gungan Jedi that turned out to be a Sith Lord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbIcaD4Dc8

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I mean I remember reading about the Darth Jar Jar theory back in the day.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Bad Batch's first episode airs 5/4, second on 5/7, then weekly from there

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh so that's why they're re-releasing republic commando

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

jivjov posted:

Bad Batch's first episode airs 5/4, second on 5/7, then weekly from there

You forgot the poster! :p

We'll see how this goes.

I didn't HATE them but I was probably just excited to get to the Ahsoka stuff. I hope its good! It looks like the Clone Wars style but even more detailed and better.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
So-so on the team, more looking forward to the general world building happening at that time.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

I didn't HATE them but I was probably just excited to get to the Ahsoka stuff. I hope its good! It looks like the Clone Wars style but even more detailed and better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB9DIxdB198

I don't think we have anything to worry about visually

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I didn't start off loving Bad Batch, but they grew on me.

Which is essentially how I felt about the entire Clone Wars series.

The idea of Batch operating and following orders within the Republic as it immediately transitions into the Evil Galactic Empire is such a loving stellar concept.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
"first" galactic empire.

*cough* several sith empires. the infinite empire. need i go on?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
The bad batch were so bad annoying in the last season of TCW, they distilled their cliches down way too far and the voice acting on Wrecker was awful. He was like Brick from Borderlands and Heavy from TF2 got pushed through a sieve and then they only kept the lumpy curdled bits instead of the nice smooth mousse.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Having just rewatched the Bad Batch, yes, they're a team of clichés, but given how the best of Star Wars is also clichés, I think it works rather well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
The thing that bothers me so far is that none of them seem to have any weaknesses.
Yes, they're supposed to be "imperfect" clones, but it looks more like every one of them is a specialized expert at their job. I hope the introduction of Echo (and Fennec Shand?) into the team goes some way into showing the cracks in their armor. Let it be internal conflict, or physical or mental problems due to the imperfect cloning process, I don't care - but it would suck if the show's formula were just "mounting external threat vs perfect soldiers". We'll see, I guess.