Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:jerkbag:

I doubt I’d agree with what he says, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to hear it. The man is one of the most influential filmmakers of the last 40 years, no matter what you think of the prequels.

I'd rather talk with his ex-wife. She probably has real insight into the process and less "what if this character was a racist caricature?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, the most Lucas has said about the sequel trilogy is that TFA was, "A movie the fans will love," and TLJ was, "Beautifully shot." It's very difficult to see that as anything other than a backhanded compliment or damning with faint praise.

Like, maybe he sincerely appreciated the cinematography in Last Jedi, it's certainly possible, but if that's the highest praise he musters it suggests that he thinks that's all it has going for it. And in the former case, when Lucas was making the prequels, he said more than once that he didn't make the movies "for Star Wars fans", he made the movies he wanted to make and Star Wars fans could like it or lump it.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I feel like I've heard an anecdote somewhere about how Lucas personally phoned Gareth Edwards after seeing Rogue One and told him how much he liked the film.

Regardless, I doubt Lucas could have anything near a objective-ish opinion about the new movies considering how he feels about selling out to Disney in the first place.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

At this point in his life, Lucas certainly isn’t showing for anything he doesn’t want to show up for. I imagine he’s either interested in seeing how the production on the Mandalorian is being run—he tried to figure out how to do a Star Wars show on a TV budget for years—or he wanted to support Dave Filoni during his first live-action directing gig.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lucas made Red Tails and i love him for that, regardless problems with the script.

Finally could make a dogfight movie with craft that fly like they are supposed to.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rocksicles posted:

Lucas made Red Tails and i love him for that, regardless problems with the script.

Finally could make a dogfight movie with craft that fly like they are supposed to.

He also fought for the movie to be made for years and spent a ton of his own money promoting it because the studio didn’t think a mostly-Black cast was marketable.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is red tails anywhere near as good as the Tuskegee Airmen?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azhais posted:

I don't remember much of the original. But the battle scenes are good, and the planes are beautiful.
My history on the subject isn't up to spec since i stopped skinning warbird games. I would assume there is a lot of liberties taken with the story, and it skims over a lot of the incredibleness of the pilots.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cross-Section posted:

Regardless, I doubt Lucas could have anything near a objective-ish opinion about the new movies considering how he feels about selling out to Disney in the first place.

As far as I'm aware nobody forced him to sell the company, but that point notwithstanding, it would be fun if he would just put his cards on the table and say he doesn't like them. All the beating about the bush is tiresome and it would be amusing to see some big fight in the media between him and Lucasfilm. He's basically retired at this point so it's not like he's at any great risk of being blacklisted from Hollywood or anything.

Probably still too friendly with Kennedy or something.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Azhais posted:

No, but the dogfights are fantastic. The film works a bit better once you know that Lucas and McGruder were aiming for a 40’s-50’s “romanticized serial” type of film instead of a dramatic war film, but it’s far from perfect.

I’m sure the dogfights are on YouTube somewhere, they’re definitely worth a watch.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I was really excited about Red Tails until I saw it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen Red Tails but I feel like I should if only because it is one of the two major film projects Lucas has been significantly involved with since 2005 (the other being Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which I believe he wrote the story for but not the script).

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

As far as I'm aware nobody forced him to sell the company, but that point notwithstanding, it would be fun if he would just put his cards on the table and say he doesn't like them. All the beating about the bush is tiresome and it would be amusing to see some big fight in the media between him and Lucasfilm. He's basically retired at this point so it's not like he's at any great risk of being blacklisted from Hollywood or anything.

Probably still too friendly with Kennedy or something.

I was referring to his “selling out to the white slavers” quip from an interview shortly after TFA’s release.

Regardless I think I could go without George Lucas becoming an alt-right figurehead because you’d just know that’s how it’d go down in this current climate.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 23, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cross-Section posted:

I was referring to his “selling out to the white slavers” quip from an interview shortly after TFA’s release.

Regardless I think I could go without George Lucas becoming an alt-right figurehead because you’d just know that’s how it’d go down in this current climate.

Not likely.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.f0c3db8fe2d3

quote:

When George Lucas tried to expand his production company studios in California’s wealthy Marin County, the community pushed back. Then the “Star Wars” creator wanted to sell the land to a developer who would build affordable housing.

“It’s inciting class warfare,” Carolyn Lenert, then head of the North San Rafael Coalition of Residents, told The New York Times at the time.

Now, two years after that project stalled, Lucas has decided to build the affordable housing and pay for it all himself.

“We’ve got enough millionaires here.
What we need is some houses for regular working people,” Lucas said through his lawyer Gary Giacomini, CBS affiliate KCBS reported.

The 224-unit affordable housing complex would go on Grady Ranch, where his once-planned studio expansion would have been, according to a plan being submitted to the Marin County Development Agency this week, the Contra Costa Times reported. The plan, which would allow development on 52 acres, includes workforce and senior residences, as well as a community center, pool and an orchard.

Income requirements could be set so eligible residents had to make less than 80 percent of the area’s median income, the paper reported. The median household income for Marin County is $90,839, according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Reverse gentrification?

Suddenly a fan of George again....

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cross-Section posted:

I wasn't suggesting he should, I was just saying that Lucas openly having a go at the Star Wars movies he doesn't like in public would be funny.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I mean that definition of affordable housing is complete trash, but also he's a billionaire so it's better than nothing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean that definition of affordable housing is complete trash, but also he's a billionaire so it's better than nothing.

It's pissing off other rich people so on the balance I suppose that makes it at least better than the status quo.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
George is a bad StarbWars decision maker but a good person

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

"Alt-right figurehead" was a bit much, yeah

I guess I was going more for a "Mark Hamill having reservations about TLJ Luke" situation but 10x as volatile and without the whole "but I was fine with it afterwards" bit

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Colonial Air Force posted:

Reverse gentrification?

Suddenly a fan of George again....

https://youtu.be/I0VZj-85E5o?t=67

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He also fought for the movie to be made for years and spent a ton of his own money promoting it because the studio didn’t think a mostly-Black cast was marketable.

Not marketable? Who do they think goes to Madea and Kevin Hart movies?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah but it was a war movie and a racism movie...
Not historically big earners.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cross-Section posted:

I guess I was going more for a "Mark Hamill having reservations about TLJ Luke" situation but 10x as volatile and without the whole "but I was fine with it afterwards" bit

I don't think Hamill was turned into an "alt-right figurehead" over that by anyone, though.

I feel like most of the detractors of TLJ don't like the prequel movies either (because they subverted their expectations :v:) so I imagine the most you'd get is "Even incompetent jackass George Lucas hates xyz!"

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah but it was a war movie and a racism movie...
Not historically big earners.

Though if Spielberg had directed it...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think Hamill was turned into an "alt-right figurehead" over that by anyone, though.

I feel like most of the detractors of TLJ don't like the prequel movies either (because they subverted their expectations :v:) so I imagine the most you'd get is "Even incompetent jackass George Lucas hates xyz!"

Though if Spielberg had directed it...

I'll settle for The Mighty Eighth series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Actually is Spielberg still directing that Blackhawks movie as part of the DC movie franchise?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Wheat Loaf posted:

And in the former case, when Lucas was making the prequels, he said more than once that he didn't make the movies "for Star Wars fans", he made the movies he wanted to make and Star Wars fans could like it or lump it.

My understanding is that that's basically his whole career. He's always made movies because those were the movies he wanted to see and he wasn't seeing them otherwise from what I gather. So he made THX1138 because he wanted to see a dystopian science fiction film and there weren't many around at the time apparently (I haven't checked) and then he fought to get a Flash Gordon movie because he wanted to see one but when he couldn't get the license he just made his own Flash Gordon type film in Star Wars. Which he also had to fight to get made since the studios didn't think it'd succeed, and that space opera just wasn't in style anymore. Then when Star Wars immediately hit big he turned around and talked Spielberg in to making a pulpy adventure serial.

In some ways he's probably the most successful movie auteur of all time.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't seen Red Tails but I feel like I should if only because it is one of the two major film projects Lucas has been significantly involved with since 2005 (the other being Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which I believe he wrote the story for but not the script).

He wrote the story outline for all the Indiana Jones films, but never the script. He apparently hates script-writing and once described it as "bleeding all over the page", so after writing the story outline for the original trilogy films he had various script writers or novelists re-work all 3 films several times till everyone around was happy with them. Which makes it all the wierder he did all the script writing for all 3 prequel films. They'd probably have been good films if he'd had someone re-work them to jazz up the dialogue and cut or change all the bits that didn't work.

By the way, Lucas did a CGI film called "Strange Magic" a couple of years back too. Which is pretty bad from what I've heard.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He didn't even want to direct the prequels in the first place: he offered the job to Spielberg, Zemeckis and Ron Howard but none of them were keen to do it and he eventually decided to do it himself so he could make sure he got what he wanted.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

tsob posted:

Which makes it all the wierder he did all the script writing for all 3 prequel films. They'd probably have been good films if he'd had someone re-work them to jazz up the dialogue and cut or change all the bits that didn't work.

Tom Stoppard (and reportedly Carrie Fisher) did script polishes on RotS. I think it pretty clearly has the best dialogue of the prequels. All of Palpatine’s stuff is great—and McDiarmid kills it, of course—but it also has some good one-liners.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Where do lines like "only a Sith deals in absolutes!" fall on that scale?

Aces High fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 25, 2018

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"You will not TAKE her from me."
"You brought him here to KILL me."
"Don't make me KILL you."

Can we just reshoot the last third of the movie and use Matthew Stover's RotS novelization as a script instead?

Vader's Dad Puns and all

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

But also animated, with the TCW cast

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
So the makers of the surprisingly good Freemaker Adventures just announced another LEGO series, "Star Wars All-Stars".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vNXYyxUFhQ

It seems to be an anything-goes mishmash of timelines, but so far it doesn't look like a parody-style show like Detours would have been.
Personally, I'm just happy to see the Zillo Beast make an appearance!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh heck yes; Freemaker was just wholesomely good fun, so I'm all for this

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vinylshadow posted:

Vader's Dad Puns and all

:qq: "But we were promised a handsome reward!"
:smug: "I am your reward. Don't you think I'm handsome?"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dave Syndrome posted:

So the makers of the surprisingly good Freemaker Adventures just announced another LEGO series, "Star Wars All-Stars".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vNXYyxUFhQ

It seems to be an anything-goes mishmash of timelines, but so far it doesn't look like a parody-style show like Detours would have been.
Personally, I'm just happy to see the Zillo Beast make an appearance!

So how long until the angry and vocal Anti Disney contingent of fans down vote this and complain about the animation stiffness?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder how many seasons it'll take before Yeager's revealed to be a Jedi and Kazuda is Force-sensitive

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
is that like a show, or a movie, i cant tell

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Man, the First Order really needs a shorthand name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013