Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm seeing this argument crop up elsewhere and I... kinda see what they might be getting at?

Caleb has something more approaching Leia's pigmentation in Bad Batch (and his blink-and-miss-it appearance in Siege of Mandalore) but as to whether they deliberately changed his race, I dunno.

edit: Folks are mad about Saw as well but they're clearly just using his TCW appearance here :shrug:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

He got a tan.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

He's old and leathery from a tough life.

There's plenty of "here's a picture of my grandpa as a fresh faced teenager when he got drafted in 1941" and "here he is when he came home from the Pacific in 1946 and looks like he's made out of an old catcher's mitt."

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I haven't even seen Rebels, but I also interpreted Caleb as black in Rebels from a thumbnail on his Wookiepedia page, and also interpreted Saw Garerra as white when I first saw him during The Clone Wars (and then I looked up his Original Trilogy appearance)

The first episode was a lot better than I expected it'd be. I think it's because the Clone Wars arc dragged out over three episodes, with one ending in a "your princess is in another castle" so they had to do yet another raid, so it had to be driven by the characters of the team, and this story is more conflict-driven. Also, Omega is a good character and Hunter seems the least pre-Flanderized or cartoonishly exaggerated of the batch

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 5, 2021

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I thought they inexplicably turned Saw Gerrera white as well, but maybe it's their palette.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Felt pretty bad for Crosshair by the end of the premiere episode.

I predict 99 is going to find some way to nullify his reprogramming partially by the end and that he'll eventually get a heroic sacrifice to make up for hounding them ruthlessly the entire season.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I kinda missed the incredibly stupid cannon fodder Battle Droids from TCW, so it was nice to see the clankers again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

galenanorth posted:

I haven't even seen Rebels, but I also interpreted Caleb as black in Rebels from a thumbnail on his Wookiepedia page, and also interpreted Saw Garerra as white when I first saw him during The Clone Wars (and then I looked up his Original Trilogy appearance)

The first episode was a lot better than I expected it'd be. I think it's because the Clone Wars arc dragged out over three episodes, with one ending in a "your princess is in another castle" so they had to do yet another raid, so it had to be driven by the characters of the team, and this story is more conflict-driven. Also, Omega is a good character and Hunter seems the least pre-Flanderized or cartoonishly exaggerated of the batch

Watch Rebels, it’s pretty good honestly

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
So has anyone thrown out the Omega is Rey's mom theory yet? She'd be about the right age, and if you squint, she seems like she could be a young Jodie Comer. I think Comer used her natural accent for her brief flashback lines, but I think you could fudge that if needed.

Probably too needlessly connecty.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Teek posted:

So has anyone thrown out the Omega is Rey's mom theory yet? She'd be about the right age, and if you squint, she seems like she could be a young Jodie Comer. I think Comer used her natural accent for her brief flashback lines, but I think you could fudge that if needed.

Probably too needlessly connecty.

Quick back of napkin math puts Omega around 50 at time of Rey's birth.

Show takes place 18 bby, rey was born 15 aby so that's 33 years. Add in that Omega is about 12-13 that's 46. Not unreasonable but still

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, they made Comer look weathered in the flashback, but I'm not sure if it was +25 years older weathered. Then again, Bo Katan is around 50 in Mandalorian...

Omega having obvious ties cloning might also provide a story inroad point to Sheev Jr..

Series development timeline wise (like at least 2 years before airing?), I'm not sure there was enough knowledge/lead time pre-TRoS to decide that's where they would want to go to connect those two characters.

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 5, 2021

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I liked Rebels, Bad Batch was alright but the characters seemed too simple and predictable. This guy wears glasses, hacks stuff, speaks like a professor and his name is Tech. This big guy is dumb and can't stop yelling about destroying things, he's Wrecker. The guy with a crosshair scar on his eye is the sniper, and he's... Crosshair and is clearly evil from minute one, somehow him turning on the team is treated as a dramatic reveal. What was up with him having a "loyalty meter" that could be increased? Why would that not always be maxed out?

The opening battle felt lazily storyboarded. Battle droids are marching forward and are wrecking the Clones despite Jedi support. Bad Batch arrives and droids stop defending themselves and stand still while slowly being pushed off a cliff.

I did like Omega, and interesting they had Echo on the team despite him not being one of their batch, and the Order 66 stuff was effective especially the dead Jedi being wheeled out Hoping it's like Rebels where it started a bit slow and ultra-kid friendly but took more risks as it went along.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I liked Rebels, Bad Batch was alright but the characters seemed too simple and predictable. This guy wears glasses, hacks stuff, speaks like a professor and his name is Tech. This big guy is dumb and can't stop yelling about destroying things, he's Wrecker. The guy with a crosshair scar on his eye is the sniper, and he's... Crosshair

They're Marines, Sam, not poets.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Heh, Tarkin just coming in and saying "the Republic owed you money, the Empire does't owe you squat" like a bad moving company that stole all your stuff just renames itself and so it can't be touched

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Finally got a free hour to watch the first episode. It bears repeating every time Clone Wars and CW-adjacent shows come out: Dee Bradley Baker gets all of the awards for playing every single clone.

My head canon reason for teen Caleb sounding like a grown man is because he's a teenager. His voice clearly dropped and his body hasn't grown into the voice yet.

Still not all there with my Stah Woes but I'm looking forward to Friday live reactions and lore learning from this thread again.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttn3vvwU0f0

Oh good, we're going to be going to brighter places

Can't wait for Wrecker's rancor grudge match

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

From that trailer I'm convinced this show is absolutely the Star Wars version of the A-Team.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 5, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I liked Rebels, Bad Batch was alright but the characters seemed too simple and predictable. This guy wears glasses, hacks stuff, speaks like a professor and his name is Tech. This big guy is dumb and can't stop yelling about destroying things, he's Wrecker. The guy with a crosshair scar on his eye is the sniper, and he's... Crosshair and is clearly evil from minute one, somehow him turning on the team is treated as a dramatic reveal. What was up with him having a "loyalty meter" that could be increased? Why would that not always be maxed out?

I agree. I was actually waiting for a twist at the end where Crosshair would turn on the stormtroopers and escape with the team. It felt they were setting him up as the villain a bit too heavy handedly in the early episode and I thought they were going for something along the lines of "I absolutely hate this but because of you Tarkin is going to have us all killed so I have no choice but to escape with you guys, also you are still my clone bros". .

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Alchenar posted:

I agree. I was actually waiting for a twist at the end where Crosshair would turn on the stormtroopers and escape with the team. It felt they were setting him up as the villain a bit too heavy handedly in the early episode and I thought they were going for something along the lines of "I absolutely hate this but because of you Tarkin is going to have us all killed so I have no choice but to escape with you guys, also you are still my clone bros". .

I really really feel like Nala Se is playing a very tight game with Tarkin and as soon as his attention is elsewhere she'll deactivate/remove Crosshair's chip and send him on his way. I mean, this is what I want to happen after seeing her help their escape. I'd like to think Lama Su is in on it too, but he could be "don't tell them because that looks bad for us" or "don't tell them because it'll give them a better chance to escape".

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Alchenar posted:

It's not as if Crosshair wants to turn on his clone bros, he's forced to. He has absolutely no choice, whatsoever. It's not a decision he's consciously made. The Empire has torn him from his squad and basically done what they do best to him. Pretty sad when I think about it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Speculation based on an early trailer: any chance the friend they're going to meet could be Fennec Shand? We know she shows up at some point, from the trailer. They could have a past we don't know about.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

AndyElusive posted:

It's not as if Crosshair wants to turn on his clone bros, he's forced to. He has absolutely no choice, whatsoever. It's not a decision he's consciously made. The Empire has torn him from his squad and basically done what they do best to him. Pretty sad when I think about it.

Yeah, it’s tragic that Tarkin took one of the few clones with something resembling actual free will and just flipped a switch to turn him into a living weapon. It makes him an interesting villain and I wonder if he’ll have some sort of internal conflict hunting down his former squad as the series goes on.

It’s crazy how much heavy lifting this premiere did to give Hunter and Crosshair actual personalities. I hated their TCW arc and couldn’t have cared less when this spinoff was announced, but now I’m invested enough to watch the whole season.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Omega has four dads and a grumpy uncle

Bad Batch is great

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Dad Batch

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Radio! posted:

Dad Batch

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Radio! posted:

Dad Batch

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Star Wars TV Megathread: Dad Batch So What

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Star Wars TV Megathread: My Dads Can Beat Up Your Dad

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Radio! posted:

Dad Batch

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Star Wars : We're all about Dads now

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s always been about dads. Star Wars is littered with (often dead/sacrificed/murdered) father figures.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Vinylshadow posted:

Star Wars TV Megathread: Dad Batch

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s always been about dads. Star Wars is littered with (often dead/sacrificed/murdered) father figures.

And to think people aren't fans of the comics...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

And to think people aren't fans of the comics...

... which of these came first: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0110.html

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Batman Beyond's use of it dates back to 1999, and Street Fighter was 1994

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

AndyElusive posted:

From that trailer I'm convinced this show is absolutely the Star Wars version of the A-Team.

I am okay with this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

That is an absolute ton of words to get through for a bad punchline

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So is a new ep dropping tomorrow or is it a week tomorrow?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

So is a new ep dropping tomorrow or is it a week tomorrow?

Tomorrow I believe, and then every Friday afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm glad to see the return of the painted-on-wood toys aesthetic carried forward from Clone Wars. I have to wonder if the announcer intro will survive past the pilot.