Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Madurai posted:

I'm glad to see the return of the painted-on-wood toys aesthetic carried forward from Clone Wars. I have to wonder if the announcer intro will survive past the pilot.

Given Tom Kane's recent stroke, unlikely (depending on how far in advance the voice work was done, at any rate)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The stuff in Bad Batch was probably recorded a year ago, at least.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dave Syndrome posted:

I've been rewatching Legends of Tomorrow recently, and I can't help but wonder if Dee Bradley Baker took inspiration for Wrecker and Crosshair from Dominic Purcell's Heatwave and especially Wentworth Miller's Captain Cold, respectively.

I'm hearing Crosshairs as Avon from Blake's 7, personally.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just starting the episode, but I'm glad disney lucasfilm is continuing the tradition of publishing "official" stories for characters in media such as the marvel comics and then promptly ignoring them when the next tv/film comes around lol

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

site posted:

Just starting the episode, but I'm glad disney lucasfilm is continuing the tradition of publishing "official" stories for characters in media such as the marvel comics and then promptly ignoring them when the next tv/film comes around lol

Out of curiosity, I just took another look at the Kanan comic. Yes, it's different, but not radically different. The basic strokes of the story are still there: A mission with his master Depa Billaba on Kaller, they're more or less friendly with the clones, Order 66 happens, clones kill the Master (they even lifted her line "You must run" verbatim from the book), Caleb escapes.
Same as with Cobb Vanth in The Mandalorian and the Aftermath books, the general outline of the story is still the same. It's nowhere near the huge differences between EU books/comics and movie/TV shows we had in the old days. I can live with that just fine.

I guess in my head canon they're all stories that took place "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away" and there are bound to be inconsistencies depending on which evangelist author tells the story.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The main man put it best:

https://twitter.com/philszostak/status/1226334256223289346?s=21

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

quote:

Returning the franchise to bedrock would help introduce it to a new generation. Mr. Abrams’s similarly old-school movie would follow. “Continuity” became a watchword. (Mr. Filoni said that Mr. Lucas, unconcerned in recent years that his stories had become confusing, once told him, “Continuity is for wimps.”)

Lucas was right, again!

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I really hope that gonk droid sticks around. They need a good droid to round out the crew

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
After this reappearance of Cut and his family, I wonder if we have a Gregor cameo waiting for us further done the line.

. After being a bit underwhelmed by their first appearance in the CW, I expected the show to formulaically focus on the squad going on various special missions for the Republic all throughout the galaxy. Instead, we not only go right into the earliest days of the Empire, a setting that feels so ripe for exploration, but the crew suddenly finds themselves out of the Army of the Republic and needing to reorient themselves as "A-Team but with clones", as folks have already pointed out. So far, color me quite surprised by it all and very pleasantly so.

Also joining the chorus for more gonk droid. If Omega is going to have a wacky family with four dads, then a pet stand-in is also necessary.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 7, 2021

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
GONK

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Pops Mgee posted:

I really hope that gonk droid sticks around. They need a good droid to round out the crew

:same:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I wonder if we have a Gregor cameo waiting for us further done the line.

Since we know that Rex is gonna show up at some point I'm hoping we also get to see Wolffe and how the three of them end up together.

And nthing the gonk droid, gonk droids rule.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah, I'm all in for the Dad Batch aspect of the show now. Really looking forward to some future episode where some poor dumb bastards threaten Omega and Hunter goes completely John Wick on them.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is rising above expectations 2 episodes in - can't wait for more. I think I was also just really wanting more of the Clone Wars style looks and story telling. It's so loving good.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.

Moon Slayer posted:

Really looking forward to some future episode where some poor dumb bastards threaten Hunter and Omega goes completely John Wick on them.

FTFY

To add, my kid (5) took an immediate liking to Omega.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
What scenario leads to Hunter recreating the high points of First Blood? With his look, it feels inevitable.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I know he looks like Rambo, but I get more Solid Snake vibes from Hunter. Admittedly, Snake also rips off Rambo, but still.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

kefkafloyd posted:

I know he looks like Rambo, but I get more Solid Snake vibes from Hunter. Admittedly, Snake also rips off Rambo, but still.

So tech is Otacon amd Echo is Raiden? Wait poo poo that makes Omega Sunny. It all fits together

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Dee Bradley Baker said he bases Hunter off of Snake Plissken in this great little interview.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is the entire Bad Batch minus Omega all voiced by Dee Bradley Baker or do they have their own unique VA’s?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Larryb posted:

So is the entire Bad Batch minus Omega all voiced by Dee Bradley Baker or do they have their own unique VA’s?

It’s all Dee Bradley Baker. I think the credits don’t even list the characters separately.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

fartknocker posted:

It’s all Dee Bradley Baker. I think the credits don’t even list the characters separately.

Huh, odd to have a series where about 95% of the main cast is voiced by the same guy but they all sound unique enough at least.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

So are we taking over/unders on the gonk droid's kill count this season? Would Wrecker throwing it at enemies count?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I wonder what the significance of Omega removing her hair thingy was? Was it just her acknowledging her new situation, or does it hold some sentimental significance? Perhaps a happy memory of spending time with Nala Se?

Regardless, I like her without it, she looks a lot more comfortable and relaxed. I'm seeing the Fett family resemblance more too. She could effortlessly pass as Boba's sister.

I'm glad they got the chip stuff out in the open so quickly. I figured Omega knew about them (given the moment between her and Crosshair last episode). Wasn't expecting Tech to have figured it out though. That scene was an elegant way to establish Rex's status as a free/renegade clone too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

fartknocker posted:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Yeah, I thought it did that. It then lists everyone else (Including whoever else Baker does) on the next card.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I almost expected them to accidentally trigger Order 66 and turn Cut into another rank and file trooper - it's how a Jedi briefly distracts the Inquisitors hunting him when he says Execute Order 66 to turn the clones assisting the Inquisitors on the saberfolk

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Dave Syndrome posted:

I've been rewatching Legends of Tomorrow recently, and I can't help but wonder if Dee Bradley Baker took inspiration for Wrecker and Crosshair from Dominic Purcell's Heatwave and especially Wentworth Miller's Captain Cold, respectively.

Now, if only we get Wrecker writing raunchy popular romance novels.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I don't remember Cut from TCW but I also did a curated watch list so maybe I missed out on his episode(s). Like, I think there was a clone named Cut-Up but I'm pretty sure he died early on?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Ballz posted:

I don't remember Cut from TCW but I also did a curated watch list so maybe I missed out on his episode(s). Like, I think there was a clone named Cut-Up but I'm pretty sure he died early on?

He was in Season 2 Ep 10 "The Deserter"

Question about the end of this episode: Was the GONK droid just randomly there?! Did I miss something earlier in the episode?! Why is Wrecker doing Gonk curls lol

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ballz posted:

CT-4040 "Cutup" died in season 1's Rookies when he was eaten by an eel

No one was really cut up about it afterwards though

Cut Lawquane's from season 2's "The Deserter"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Radio! posted:

Dad Batch

Someone on Reddit went and did it

https://www.reddit.com/r/thebadbatch/comments/n6te87/the_dad_batch/

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

kefkafloyd posted:

It's in his name!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Dave Syndrome posted:

I guess in my head canon they're all stories that took place "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away" and there are bound to be inconsistencies depending on which evangelist author tells the story.

Yeah, this is the simplest and most sensible take for the material. It's basically tiers, but one should look at it like it's mythology or even the Bible. It tells the tales, and some tales conflict or tell different versions of the same thing, but it's all just stories in the end.

Some Whills just recount things a bit differently than others. And you also have the Gnostic Whills who wrote a whole bunch of weird poo poo about invaders from outside the galaxy, mofferences and people tired of all the star wars.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

:hmmyes:

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

fartknocker posted:

Strangely enough, in some countries they have different actors voicing the different characters. Watch past the credits on Disney+ and you should see localization credits (at least outside of the USA).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s great to finally have David Filoni back again. Out of curiosity, why wasn’t he involved with Resistance?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Larryb posted:

It’s great to finally have David Filoni back again. Out of curiosity, why wasn’t he involved with Resistance?

Would he have been preoccupied with The Mandalorian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Would he have been preoccupied with The Mandalorian?

I’m pretty sure that show started after the former got cancelled but I’m not 100% on that