Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The leader of the Pike had the same voice actor as AP-5 from Rebels.

I might have to rewatch Rebels again, the AP-5/Chopper duo was so much fun.

This episode felt like it should have come earlier in the series, not in the back quarter of episodes where you'd think you'd want to ramp everything up. Maybe it's an early clue there will be a second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m pretty much convinced there’s going to be a second season (if not more) since as someone else mentioned, not counting this one there’s only 3 episodes left now and they’re still doing stuff like this (if it was just a one and done we would have been in the endgame a few episodes ago).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jerkface posted:

Yea Omega being like "hes prolly not that bad a guy" or whatever is absolutely setting up this guy helping the crew out in some future episode as payback for getting his life spared

Yup, and setting up conflict with Pikes later on.

I do like how this episode showed the Pikes are legit terrifying. The Hutts are the Mafia, they have power, and are scary, but there's also a system in place that keeps things getting too out of hand. The Pikes come across as like the Cartels or some other terrifying criminal organization. They will kill you, but only after making it very clear that crossing them is not a good idea.

Larryb posted:

I’m pretty much convinced there’s going to be a second season (if not more) since as someone else mentioned, not counting this one there’s only 3 episodes left now and they’re still doing stuff like this (if it was just a one and done we would have been in the endgame a few episodes ago).

Yea, by now Omega or Hunter would have been captured by Crosshair who would be planning on laying a Trap for them. Finnic would have shown back up to lend a hand at the end of this episode.

Something I liked a lot was Sid clearly cares for Omega.

BTW did anyone else expect the nest to be filled with spiders, the ones from that Mandolorian episode?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I love his deadpan voice. It's just so "I am so tired of all this bullshit".

Embarrassed I didn't catch that he was one of the stool warmers in the bar.

The best description of Liam O’Brien’s voice I’ve heard (from Sam Riegel, no less) was “sad sandpaper”.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

twistedmentat posted:

BTW did anyone else expect the nest to be filled with spiders, the ones from that Mandolorian episode?

I was getting ready to hide tbh

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m working a booth at a con this weekend and I ended up talking to an ILM VFX guy about production concept art and then bought an original Droids animation cel off him of some Imp officer mid-sneeze/poo poo.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m working a booth at a con this weekend and I ended up talking to an ILM VFX guy about production concept art and then bought an original Droids animation cel off him of some Imp officer mid-sneeze/poo poo.

That's incredibly loving cool and I am very jealous, also you got a great frame

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

twistedmentat posted:

Yup, and setting up conflict with Pikes later on.

I do like how this episode showed the Pikes are legit terrifying. The Hutts are the Mafia, they have power, and are scary, but there's also a system in place that keeps things getting too out of hand. The Pikes come across as like the Cartels or some other terrifying criminal organization. They will kill you, but only after making it very clear that crossing them is not a good idea.
That didn't quite work for me, because sure the Pyke Syndicate is scary to random schlubs like you and me, but the Bad Batch are wanted by the whole drat empire and they've already got guns aimed.

Who'd even know it was them?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Arquinsiel posted:

That didn't quite work for me, because sure the Pyke Syndicate is scary to random schlubs like you and me, but the Bad Batch are wanted by the whole drat empire and they've already got guns aimed.

Who'd even know it was them?

Pretty sure a bunch of Navy Seals could take out a cartel big wig but wouldn't know what to do with the retaliation.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah but the Pykes never met them before they waked in the door. There's not much keeping them there besides Cid, and Omega is being threatened. That's a very clean getaway.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah but the Pykes never met them before they waked in the door. There's not much keeping them there besides Cid, and Omega is being threatened. That's a very clean getaway.

They don't really hide though, they walk around in their full armor all the time, they still use the same ship. If the Pykes wanted to do something, it wouldn't be too far to find them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And the Pikes seem the sort of organisation to be very very patient.

The kind of patient where you come home ten years later in your happy new life and an assassin shoots you through the throat from a kilometre away because the Pike don't need to posture or monologue.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Martez sisters seem fine :shrug:

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah I enjoyed their arc on the clone wars last season. It was interesting to see how the people 'underground' on coruscant live. Plus the goofy haircuts, it isn't star wars unless somebody has a goofy haircut.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Arquinsiel posted:

Has it been ten years yet :colbert:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Has it been ten years yet :colbert:
Yes :colbert:
No :negative:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

much better than my itchy and scratchy cel

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There are rumors that Lars Mikkleson will be appearing as live action Thrawn in upcoming series.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also, they're really not that bright when it comes to anything not "being a clone trooper".

Okay, that's a bit mean, they're only 10-15 years old and spent their entire lives in an ocean of indoctrination before losing everything they ever knew. Doing things like buying a different ship and repainting their armour have probably never occurred to them.

Tactical fighting stuff? Sure, they're the best. Being able to do the shopping without setting something on fire? Not so much.

Which is why it's lucky they have Cid and Omega to do the thinking for them.

I love his deadpan voice. It's just so "I am so tired of all this bullshit".

Embarrassed I didn't catch that he was one of the stool warmers in the bar.

I do find it weird that Cid for all her connections and resources just has these two bar flies as muscle when she gets rolled on

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Did i miss something or did the guy just kinda let cid leave with her life and freedom, before the batch intervened? It seemed like a very tame/peaceful takeover for the crime types in SW. She probably could have just taken her life and connections to another spot and been back in business rather than risk messing with the pykes

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah but it's the principle of the thing.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Forcing her out probably meant forcing all her connections to work through them instead. I could see her getting to walk away alive being part of a bargain where in exchange she tells all her connections to work with the new guy replacing her.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yo what happened to her 2 underlings anyway

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

and has anyone plausibly explained the sabine yielding the darksaber thing yet

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Alan Smithee posted:

and has anyone plausibly explained the sabine yielding the darksaber thing yet

What's there to explain?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

why that's okay vs din trying to and being rejected because COMBAT

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

Sabine won the Darksaber in combat against Gar Saxon during Legacy of Mandalore (Rebels S3E16) although it was her mother who actually killed him by shooting him when Sabine showed him mercy

She then just hands it off to Bo Katan at the end of Heroes of Mandalore in S4

My working theory is that Bo Katan's rule was shaky because the other clans didn't see her claim to the saber as legitimate and that disunity is why they got purged again, hence why she wants to win it back by combat from Din

I hope he just throws it out the nearest airlock first chance he gets, but they gotta sell Mando w/ Darksaber toys in slightly altered armor, so...

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Alan Smithee posted:

They explained it in the episode. Bo-Katan sidestepped the proper way of claiming it once, and things turned out poorly. She can't/won't do that again.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

jassa posted:

They explained it in the episode. Bo-Katan sidestepped the proper way of claiming it once, and things turned out poorly. She can't/won't do that again.

She took it improperly, and then even more importantly lost it.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Bo-katan sucks poo poo, that's the answer

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Gonky helping out!

How many more episodes are there supposed to be after this week?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
This episode was really good

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Gregor! I thought he was bound to make an appearance this season. Loved Dee Bradley Baker's voicing of him in this episode - not quite the happily mad coot we see in Rebels, but definitely getting there as the veteran commando who has seen some super serious poo poo.

Hell, it still tickles me whenever I remember that huge chunks of these episodes are literally just Dee Bradley Baker talking to himself.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 30, 2021

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Gregor! I thought he was bound to make an appearance this season. Loved Dee Bradley Baker's voicing of him in this episode - not quite the happily mad coot we see in Rebels, but definitely getting there as the veteran commando who has seen some super serious poo poo.

Hell, it still tickles me whenever I remember that huge chunks of these episodes are literally just Dee Bradley Baker talking to himself.

It’s so wild to me that 90% of the voice acting in this show is the same man and if he doesn’t get like five awards for this show then this world deserves to burn.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Same! I love that you can actually hear that Gregor isn't quite Rebels era crazy yet but is definitely getting there. Dee Bradley Baker is knocking it out of the park.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

fartknocker posted:

Gonky helping out!

How many more episodes are there supposed to be after this week?

Just two more if I recall correctly, but we’re all but guaranteed a second season at this point.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Did not expect to see Scorch again and didn’t even realize it was him at first.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Scorch cameo!

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

It’s so wild to me that 90% of the voice acting in this show is the same man and if he doesn’t get like five awards for this show then this world deserves to burn.

It's weird looking at his filmography - which is so expansive that it has its own Wikipedia page - and just see a couple of nominations and nothing more. Considering that he has done everything from Olmec in Legends of the Hidden Temple to Appa in Avatar: The Last Airbender, it feels like he needs some kind of achievement award.

Also, sorry, but who is Scorch? I genuinely don't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Also, sorry, but who is Scorch? I genuinely don't remember.

He's a member of Delta Squad, from the Republic Commando video game.