Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

That's...wait, that has to either be a mistake, or by "Buy Season 1", they mean only the episodes currently available, so it's only the first episode still. I can't see how that would be for the full season coming.

edit: One comment in that thread said, "Yea I seem to recall this same mistake with Season 1 of Rebels. They canceled then, but worth a try! Thanks!"

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 8, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The replies to that tweet indicate that it's a 50/50 shot. Some people have gotten full seasons of other shows at a similar discount. Someone else pointed out that the opening two parter may be its own "season" internally

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

First episode was alright. It looks really good in motion, and the ship designs are spectacular, even if the red TIE is a tad tacky

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I am quite enjoying reviews like "This children's series is for CHILDREN! :qq:" on imdb et al.

Which is even more funny when you consider there has never been a Star Wars cartoon in the history of Star Wars cartoons that has ever been marketed as anything other than a show for youth audiences.

It just so happens that a majority of Star Wars fans are technically man children so obviously they're going to watch it and be angry they're not being appealed to.

I wonder if any of them get upset over the Lego shows and poo poo, like The Freemaker Adventures being too goofy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Like I said before, I imagine most people will wise up about it. I remember when the first Clone Wars trailer showed up (i.e. for the movie) people got very stroppy about how LUCAS :argh: had DISNEYFIED :argh: Star Wars (funny in retrospect) then I remember when the first Rebels information dropped people said it looked "too kiddy" compared to Clone Wars. But at the same time, I feel like something's changed; I think more people will hold their grudge than they did with the last two, for one reason or another. That's just 2018 for you, I guess.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

As if they won't fix that

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Like I said before, I imagine most people will wise up about it. I remember when the first Clone Wars trailer showed up (i.e. for the movie) people got very stroppy about how LUCAS :argh: had DISNEYFIED :argh: Star Wars (funny in retrospect) then I remember when the first Rebels information dropped people said it looked "too kiddy" compared to Clone Wars. But at the same time, I feel like something's changed; I think more people will hold their grudge than they did with the last two, for one reason or another. That's just 2018 for you, I guess.

Start of Clone Wars: It's not Star Wars and it's terrible
End of Clone Wars: WE WANT MORE

Start of Rebels: It's not Clone Wars and it's terrible
End of Rebels: It's still not Clone Wars but drat if it isn't at least good

Start of Resistance: It's not Clone Wars or Rebels and it's terrible
After the first few episodes: Alright, it's not as bad as we first thought. Let's see where we go from here...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Azhais posted:

As if they won't fix that

Better buy it before they do. If they revoke the purchase after the fact you can probably at least get a month of free Prime out of it or something.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Recruit Episode Guide

Lotta fun stuff there

Shame there's no Resistance Report though

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ooh, I'm glad it was confirmed that those were the newest model X-Wings in the beginning. Good stuff

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

jivjov posted:

Ooh, I'm glad it was confirmed that those were the newest model X-Wings in the beginning. Good stuff

I kinda like how beefy they look. It’s like a SW take on a Crimson Skies design.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Oscar Isaacs is a great actor in person, but a poor voice actor.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Colonial Air Force posted:

Oscar Isaacs is a great actor in person, but a poor voice actor.

I wouldn't go all the way down to "poor", but yeah, I get the impression that he's used to emoting with his face and body more, so trying to do it all in voice was stifling him a little.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I read that this will take place during the period of The Force Awakens so anyone who's seen the show will know what that means.

spoiled Kaz is from Hosian Prime so its very likely his family will be completely wiped out when Starkiller base destroys it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

twistedmentat posted:

I read that this will take place during the period of The Force Awakens so anyone who's seen the show will know what that means.

spoiled Kaz is from Hosian Prime so its very likely his family will be completely wiped out when Starkiller base destroys it

About 6 months prior to TFA, yeah

In one of the later episodes you get to see an under-construction Starkiller, too

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

good catch

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

jivjov posted:

I wouldn't go all the way down to "poor", but yeah, I get the impression that he's used to emoting with his face and body more, so trying to do it all in voice was stifling him a little.

Yeah, "poor" might have been a bit much. Gwendolyn Christie was good though!

E: Probably for the same reasonas Anthony Daniels, actually, since they both would've done a whole lot of ADR.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Just got caught the second episode,- That Sheathipede-class shuttle, any chance that was the Phantom II?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Not really feeling Resistance. The animation/art style is great, but the characters and VA were really bad imo. Rebels and Clone Wars left a really solid first impression when I watched their pilot episodes. This one just fell flat for me for some reason :(

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

teagone posted:

Not really feeling Resistance. The animation/art style is great, but the characters and VA were really bad imo. Rebels and Clone Wars left a really solid first impression when I watched their pilot episodes. This one just fell flat for me for some reason :(

Suck it up. Enjoy it for what it is.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

This feels needlessly aggressive. Especially considering that a fair few of us will admit that Rebels had a pilot that left us cold for a show we later warmed up to. I’m watching tomorrow so fingers crossed I don’t have the wrong opinion I guess.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Moving from the trad 3D animation of Clone Wars & the more stylistic but still 3d Rebels to the 2d cel shading is jarring for some ppl. No need to yell, but I think its awesome personally.

Most kids shows nowadays have that 3d look, I like them going in another direction. The only thing better would be somehow a traditional 2d style.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

J33uk posted:

This feels needlessly aggressive. Especially considering that a fair few of us will admit that Rebels had a pilot that left us cold for a show we later warmed up to. I’m watching tomorrow so fingers crossed I don’t have the wrong opinion I guess.

It's not aggressive, i'm just English.

I'm saying enjoy it for what it is and suck up the stuff you don't like.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I liked it. It's nice having a show where there's zero focus on Jedi, though the reliance on movie characters like BB-8 and Phasma was pretty jarring (at least Poe Dameron went away).

I didn't think the show did a great job of establishing the station, it just seems incredibly tiny and limited.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 9, 2018

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

Nah, I'm good.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

teagone posted:

Both Rebels and Clone Wars started really badly ("Snips/Skyguy", the downgrade in tone, visuals and "target age" with Rebels). If only counting the early episodes this starts off several levels above either.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm disappointed Darth Vader never addressed Ahsoka as "Snips" in his Darth Vader voice.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The 3rd (or 4th I guess?) episode started getting me to warm up to the show. It wasn't a great start, I'd agree. My 6 year old loves it, my 9 year old is similarly on the fence. But it's Star Wars.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Still on episode one, but I really liked the over the shoulder shot on Faizon's ship in the first race, it's a real Ace Combat sort of camera angle.

Also, a few seconds in and we get two brand new ships in the T-85 X-Wing and the red TIE Interceptor, space fighter show pumpin out rad new designs that can go in X-wang and vidya games :getin:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 9, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

About 6 months prior to TFA, yeah

In one of the later episodes you get to see an under-construction Starkiller, too

Doesn’t this happen at the end of the hour long premiere? It must, because that’s all I’ve seen so far, and I saw it.

Anyway, enjoyed the hell out of the first episode. A lot of fun, great ship designs, and I loved the hodgepodge of stuff from all 3 trilogy eras. My 2 year old daughter was hooked by the colorful visuals, so that’s a win as well. (She calls all Star Wars things she sees “pew pew”, and breathes deeply whenever she sees Darth Vader.)

Can’t wait for some characters and ships to show up in Galaxy of Heroes and somehow break the meta.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 9, 2018

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1049660759188402178

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I know it’s just starting, but I feel like Rebels had way more, well rebel stuff in it early compared to this being really light on the whole resistance aspect. I’m sure it will shift away from racing and more towards actual resistance stuff as the show goes on but seems like a pretty slow start 4 episodes in already. Show is fine though for the most part.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Decius posted:

Both Rebels and Clone Wars started really badly ("Snips/Skyguy", the downgrade in tone, visuals and "target age" with Rebels). If only counting the early episodes this starts off several levels above either.

That's a hard disagree from me. The voice acting is really bad in Resistance. Made it hard to watch, and that's amplified by the characters being dull af imo. The narrative arc in the first 4 episodes has been pretty uninteresting too. I'll just wait for Clone Wars to start up again.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If anyone was expecting the First Order to be more of a menace right out the gate, you haven't been paying attention to the state of the galaxy far far away at the point prior to TFA.

Very few consider the FO to be a credible threat.

The show did go out of its way to show the audience they're very much a looming danger in the first seconds of the show with Major Vonreg attacking the New Republic X-Wings, but three episodes in and they still haven't formally introduced all the ace racers yet. So I wouldn't expect the full on resistance to take place until after the frequency of the pirate storyline picks up and gets resolved. That'll likely result in Phasma and Vonreg and the First Order becoming direct antagonists.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The episode summary for 5 says that the First Order is coming to the refueling station, so even if a big Resistance vs First Order plot is a long time coming, they seem to be planning on keeping the First Order physically present at least

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Pretty excited to see more LEGO sets come from this series. I already want a T-85.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, from the Star Wars Explained videos about the pre TFA novels and such its pretty much like this

FO is out there, but no one really thinks they're a threat. Just a bunch of ex imperials out on the Rim and they won't trouble anyone unless something bugs them. That's why people think the Resistance are extremists. Its like people who think Antifa are extremists because they want to punch Nazis.

But at the same time, there are people like Leia and others who actually do see the FO as a threat, and their intelligence says that yes, they have a force that is at least equal to the New Republics bare bones fleet. As the NR was trying to distance itself from the militarism of the Empire and before that the Clone Wars era Republic, they had made a conscious choice to limit their military forces. Though there are those in the Senate who are totally "you know, everything was pretty great during the Empire, except for that whole blowing up planets thing, but then didn't they deserve it?" both naively and because they were agents of the First Order. Leia was exposed as Vaders daughter by these guys and they used that to destroy her reputation in the galaxy.

I really like looking at the ships and seeing what they were cobbled together from, also the old empire gear being repurposed by the pirates was a neat touch.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, from the Star Wars Explained videos about the pre TFA novels and such its pretty much like this

FO is out there, but no one really thinks they're a threat. Just a bunch of ex imperials out on the Rim and they won't trouble anyone unless something bugs them. That's why people think the Resistance are extremists. Its like people who think Antifa are extremists because they want to punch Nazis.

But at the same time, there are people like Leia and others who actually do see the FO as a threat, and their intelligence says that yes, they have a force that is at least equal to the New Republics bare bones fleet. As the NR was trying to distance itself from the militarism of the Empire and before that the Clone Wars era Republic, they had made a conscious choice to limit their military forces. Though there are those in the Senate who are totally "you know, everything was pretty great during the Empire, except for that whole blowing up planets thing, but then didn't they deserve it?" both naively and because they were agents of the First Order. Leia was exposed as Vaders daughter by these guys and they used that to destroy her reputation in the galaxy.

I really like looking at the ships and seeing what they were cobbled together from, also the old empire gear being repurposed by the pirates was a neat touch.

And if any of that had been mentioned in The Force Awakens, that movie would have made a lot more sense. It's me: I'm the one who wants more politics in my Star Wars. Hopefully Resistance will give me that fix. First 3 episodes were really enjoyable, although the writers clearly haven't fully locked down the character's personalities and motivations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Cross-posting from CineD, I just read a rumour suggesting that Werner Herzog could potentially be in the Jon Favreau tv series, which might be amusing.