Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

galenanorth posted:

The deleted scenes with Padme are really starting to explain why Anakin thought Padme betrayed him, which seemed very sudden in the original cut. The group of senators including Padme and Bail Organa, covering 2,000 systems, was already organizing to form the Rebel Alliance, and they swore Padme to absolute secrecy on it after she had just finished responding to him having a vision he was hesitant to share by telling him there should be no more secrets between them. When the group meets with Palpatine to try to get him to try diplomacy again, with Anakin present and after the group leaves, Palpatine says that he senses betrayal in Padme and he refuses to admit it. I wasn't paying enough attention when this was in theaters to notice that Obi-Wan got there by being a stowaway, or I didn't remember, and Anakin using force choking throughout the Clone Wars series for torture and having every single one of his victims live makes it more ambiguous whether in that moment he meant to kill her, so it feels a lot less out-of-nowhere than the first time.

Honestly his control was so flaky I didn't feel terribly shocked he would strangle her on pure suspicion without any prior priming of that pump as happened in the theatrical (especially since there was probably a part deep inside him telling him she SHOULD be turning on him for what he'd done). Probably didn't help I think Obi-Wan came in ready to fight Anakin rather than redeem him really; their discussion felt more like Obi-Wan calling him out than trying to get through to Anakin, and I expect sensing an Obi-Wan who's prepared himself to kill his best friend would make him conclude Padme had brought Obi-Wan deliberately to do just that. I do rather regret losing the "Padme helps form the Rebellion" part of that though, it gives her much more to do than be Pregnant and Sad in the movie.

quote:

It's sad that Ahsoka gave into spite when Mace Windu told Ahsoka "move along, citizen" and didn't relay her message to Anakin through Yoda anyway.

I suspect the real issue wasn't spite but distrust of the Jedi; why put the idea in their heads that Anakin might be tempted by darkness and watch the Jedi yet again turn on him for what (she felt) were spurious reasons? Considering she witnessed quite a bit of the Council distrusting Anakin if memory serves, I can't blame her for deciding they would do more harm than good, especially when they were giving her so much crap at the time. Really I put this one on the Council and Mace in particular; you feed out distrust and (let's be honest) borderline hatred to someone, you get those back. I really wonder if Mace was getting significantly overwhelmed by the Dark Side by the end; not really enough to fall, but enough to wreck everything a lifetime devoted to peace should have told him about handling the situation the Republic was in. He definitely seemed to lack any of the diplomacy and compassion a Master Jedi should have by the time of Revenge of the Sith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Veotax posted:

Yeah, everyone knew that the Jedi existed as wierdo knights and generals in the Clone Wars, but that they had magic powers? That's just fairy tails and fake news!

"Fake news" is the thing that's most sold me on it being easy to remove the Jedi from public memory. Have you SEEN the kind of double-brained denial of reality poo poo we can achieve in just a few years because it benefits somebody politically? Give Palpatine 20-some years, even stronger control of the media than any force today, and a massive hardon for erasing the Jedi, and it's not hard at all to imagine he's managed a galactic gaslighting to remove what the Jedi can do from most people's minds.

Moon Slayer posted:

Remember that lady who wrote all those books about how noble and honorable the Mandalorians and thus clones were and how the Jedi were actually evil and abusing the clones, but then the Mandalorian arc of Clone Wars came out and showed Mandalore and current Mandalorian society completely differently so she got all mad and stopped writing for Star Wars? Because I like to.

Too bad, I thought she had some interesting ideas about the Mandalorians but she just couldn't play in the toybox without trying to wreck on all the other toys in favor of her Mandos. Hell, pretty sure a lot of the actually good ideas have kind of been blended into the new canon (strong sense of family and such), if she hadn't gone down the rabbit hole of trying to make a race of Mary Sues she'd probably still be beloved rather than mocked. On reflection, having to create in a setting where you respect the work of other creators and can't do your own thing can't be simple, any other Star Wars authors who tried to drag the whole thing into their own little canon while crapping on everybody else? Pretty sure Travis wasn't the only one, but my brain's locking up on other examples.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Arc Hammer posted:

Was David Harbour drunk in the recording booth or just stoned out of his mind?

Doesn't help that he's acting against James Hong who's an old pro.

The Elder was pretty fun and chill otherwise.

I think the direction was just the "mastered feelings = zero affect" school of thought on the prequel era Jedi writ large; both the Padawan and Master in that short had the same lack of emoting. Oddly enough it kind of worked with the short I think; everybody in it, even the Elder to a certain extent, were all tightly controlled and it helped sell the "these guys are pros" idea so it made sense all the fighting was just cleanly executed techniques and everything got decided with just a few moves.

As for the rest of them, I kind of agree that they work better watched in small batches to avoid overloading on the similar themes, although there was enough variation to not make them clones of each other (pun intended). Definitely think Tattooine Rhapsody was the weakest of them, although I appreciate it being the only one NOT to do much with lightsabers or Jedi/Sith really. Ninth Jedi is probably my overall favorite; I did love the reveal when all of them lit up red sabers. Can't help but think the Margrave knew well in advance and deliberately tagged Ethan to hand the first saber to, both to avoid letting on he knew and I think probably to give the one sincere Jedi something to defend himself with. Twins was just a little too over the top for me (I definitely preferred the more meditative feeling shorts, with maybe Ninth Jedi the one exception to that), though I admire the willingness to go pure batshit in the name of spectacle. T0-B1 was kind of fun for the Astroboy meets Star Wars idea; I did appreciate that he brought life to the planet as a sign he was worthy as a Jedi.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Well, "Boba Fett teaches drivers ed to the Sand People" was not something my younger self ever anticipated seeing in Star Wars, yet here we are. I like the suggestion I saw somewhere that Boba teaching the Sand People to collect tribute for passage is why Din was able to cross unmolested by them years later by giving them that other guy's binoculars, kind of a funny touch if so (even likely to be the same tribe or neighbors to Boba's tribe considering he was around to rescue Fennec in that episode). Still have no idea where the "modern day" storyline is going in the show though, I presume the "ask permission to kill the Hutts" thing is to explain why Boba doesn't just gun them down in the street, Black Krrsantan or not.

Robot Style posted:

Also unrelated to Tuskens, but it's cool to see the game being played in the Sanctuary isn't just Sabacc again, but appears to be a return of Pazaak from KOTOR, with its +/- cards.

HOW DID THEY SNEAK THAT IN?! :aaaaa: Man, this show is amazing nerd bait.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Star Wars has tanks with wheels, tanks with treads, tanks with legs, and tanks that float (because why not repulsorlifts are cheap), basically tanks for all seasons. And this thing too:

You gotta admit a stupid tank design like that sure looks like the logical product of a fascist regime. If anything, the Empire probably doesn't have ENOUGH terrible equipment out there despite all the examples in the films, especially since they don't really have any external enemies to worry about. Not to mention judging by current events, we should probably see more TIE fighters having wings randomly pop off in battle because somebody embezzled the maintenance budget and the like if we want a realistic Empire.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Killer robot posted:

One of the keys of maintaining a successful dictatorship is making sure no one really has the power and interest to take you down. Dictatorship by space wizard implies ensuring that other space wizards are limited either in power or ambition.

Honestly it’s simpler than that even I think. One of the lines from Knights of the Old Republic 2 that has stuck with me through the whole Star Wars franchise is “the Sith are defined by their hatred for the Jedi”, which explains why the people who are determined to oppose the Jedi do so… by being robe-wearing lightsaber wielders who avoid relationships. They spend all their time obsessing over beating/one-upping the Jedi, witness how Palpatine spends all his time in a battle with his opponents focused on tormenting and tempting one Jedi (hell, wouldn’t surprise me if his main interest in the Battle of Endor was how it gave him something to hurt Luke with). The Inquisitors represent a way to toy with weak former Jedi by breaking them into killing their own brethren. The Inquisitors are pretty much still tortured by the Sith even after falling, Vader “trains” them mainly by cutting them up for sport and they spend their whole existence terrified and forced to compete with each other. And they are downright expected to die as tripwires to detect any major Jedi threats; I’m pretty sure they’re all dead by ROTJ for exactly that reason. The Inquisitors may have some practical value helping run down all the false leads and pathetic former apprentice Jedi so Vader doesn’t have to, but I think their real value to the Sith is as weak Jedi to play with until their inevitable demise as tools in their service. The cruelty is the point, not the service value.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Marsupial Ape posted:

The map orb is a Zeffo design, and the Zeffo supposedly hosed off out into WildSpace. So, I’m intrigued.

Whoa, didn't catch that reference, but drat if you aren't right.

quote:

Edit: and I just completed both Jedi games and seeing an onscreen character have to deal with goddam tomb puzzles is validating.

LOL, did love seeing that having to deal with puzzle bullshit in Force temples is canon. Obviously Ahsoka was familiar with the setup given how fast she started solving it.

Honestly I kind of like this so far. Granted I'm not sure how much of that is the fact it's a Rebels follow on so I'm getting little bits of glee seeing things again (I like how the end credits theme uses Sabine's old theme from the cartoon as part of it), but it does feel interesting. Kinda have to agree the acting is rather subdued (with the exception of Chopper remaining his usual hilariously psychotic self, definitely my favorite there), hope we see a little more emotional range here even if we're dealing with a lot of characters who are supposed to be tightly disciplined. The plot at least is interesting enough in that going to a galaxy even further away following a millennia old path is the sort of grandness I think Star Wars should have really, I'm on board to see where they go with it.

Spoiler-wise - the Eye of Sion looks pretty deliberately like a giant sized hyperspace ring a la the Jedi starfighters, wonder if it's supposed to be a portal or if they're bringing in some sort of Super Star Destroyer to dock with it. Marrok has to be a leftover inquisitor, both the saber and the outfit are pretty clear indicators, not to mention how Ahsoka did not seem really threatened by him much like all her other Inquisitor encounters. He can't be Ezra brainwashed or whatever, Ezra did not pop back from wherever he took Thrawn and Ezra coming back, as a bad guy or not, is the sort of thing you should see in the endgame of the season at best anyway. And once again poor HK-47 would be shaking his head in shame at what constitutes a HK series droid these days, although the one that got left behind hiding out in an effort to take out whoever came back at least had some cleverness. Have absolutely no idea what Baylan's deal is, though it's obviously something beyond finding Thrawn (maybe something the Zeffo or possibly yet another ancient Force species have). If they follow Thrawn's original storyline he's probably at least going to do the same thing C'Baoth did of having his own agenda conflicting with Thrawn, though he seems a trifle more sane than the original. Kind of wonder if he'll be the first "fallen" Jedi who hasn't gone to the Dark Side but is just a jerk, not like anger and whatnot are the only way to being bad (hell, maybe the second episode did a little foreshadowing bringing up greed as a motivation, although I seem to recall Anakin's flaws being phrased as being greedy in their own way so maybe still Dark there).

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Marsupial Ape posted:

He’s playing a character he voiced in Rebels. He didn’t even have to sit in a prosthetic makeup chair for hours, either. I love it when Clancy Brown gets to double dip a franchise.

I doubt it was the same actor, but one commenter I read noted the senator he pushed forward to cover for Sabine not being there had the same name as one of the cadets in the Imperial school Ezra infiltrated, so that was a nice subtle continuation too.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Hazo posted:

So: Early materials like the Technical Journal and production drawings included stuff like "blade length" and "blade intensity" knobs on lightsaber schematics (usually Luke's or Vader's). The authors/illustrators were just completely making poo poo up so they could label the extraneous bits on the Graflex hilts with :techno:, and everyone just kind of went with it because it was never a plot point in the movies and super-intense nerd culture obsessed with every little thing hadn't really hit its stride yet:

(1983)

(1995)

Plus, sure, it seems reasonable that the wielder could make small adjustments to the blade length, akin to adjusting focus on a camera lens. But not anything crazy like turning a 40-inch blade into a 30-foot blade.

I know the blade length thing is in canon as well, because one of the earliest episodes in Rebels had Kanan reduce the length on his blade to let the (much shorter) Ezra train with it more easily. Not a huge change, and it seemed to take some careful adjusting so not something you casually do in the middle of combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

koolkal posted:

I liked this episode more than the previous ones but also we're in the back half of the season now and it feels like the show is still setting things up. Given the talk about a wrapup movie for these recent shows I could see Thrawn sticking around unresolved until then. Maybe they'll just repeat the Rebels ending and have him mysteriously teleport away for no reason!

I am definitely seeing Thrawn getting away here, which fair enough, he is interesting enough I'd rather not see him appear and disappear in three episodes of one show. I assume Skoll and Hati will be dealt with in this season though even without the actor-related reason they can't keep one around.

quote:

I like the lil turtle hobbits and the wolf dog hyena

Am I the only one who sees those little guys as hermit crabs?

quote:

It's gonna suck when Ezra and Sabine kiss

Bleh to that thought! I suppose I can accept it if it happens as kind of in-character (Ezra was to be fair kind of drooling over her as a young teenager in the early season(s) of Rebels, though Sabine was just amused by the idea). But I vastly prefer the brother/sister thing they had going once Ezra matured and I trust that, as the guy who helped create them, Filoni won't just throw that out. At least their meeting certainly felt true to the original Rebels characterizations, which also encourages me they won't go that route.