Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Mandalorian trailer owned. Haven't been following the Obi-Wan show at all, but it sounds like I should? And I really need to finish Rebels and watch Clone Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

jivjov posted:

The obi-wan show was only announced about 2 hours ago, so there's not really any news on it yet

Oh welp, that makes things easier!

Icon Of Sin posted:

IIRC the first season-ish of Clone Wars is kind of hit or miss. The episodes are also not in chronological order, so when you think “this guy died in an earlier episode!” you’re probably not wrong :v:

Good to know! I've always been more of a fan of the Rebellion era than Clone Wars, but I hear so many good things about Ahsoka so I want to see what her deal is.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Ming-Na Wen officially confirmed for Mandalorian https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1164978631690596353

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Gervasius posted:

Chloe Bennett is available.

Imagine that long action shot from season 2 of AoS but it's Sabine blasting stormtroopers.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Ghost on the right, possibly the Outrider on the lower left?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

(Chloe Bennett would be amazing. Don't @ me.)

I imagined her as older Sabine, but this would also be great.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Episode 4 features Baby Yoda drinking soup so it's automatically good no matter what.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I'm hopefully going to get some of the volumes of the Doctor Aphra comic for the holidays so I'm excited. She sounds great and I'm really happy to see an Asian-coded protagonist in a Star Wars story.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Gina Carano is less of a poo poo than Ronda Rousey, right? :ohdear:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

site posted:

idgi how is getting beaten up a lot yet still winning against insurmountable odds not badass

He gets help fron a woman so to chuds that's worse than losing

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 3, 2019

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Yes Fallen Order is definitely canon.

LATE GAME SPOILER
One of the planets you visit is heavily implied to be the future Starkiller Base.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Is the wide city shot in the trailer supposed to be Mos Eisley? Seemed too big to be that, but maybe I'm misremembering the size of it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I was super jazzed that we finally saw Tosche Station. And holy gently caress that was Camie and Fixer??? :aaa:

Also Black Krrsantan!!! It would be really awesome to see Aphra, but I don't know if that would be too spoiler-ly or not. I'm still early on in her comic series and it's pre-ROTJ.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Hazo posted:

I don't think this was posted but it's rad as gently caress

That's so cool. Makes me want to pull out my copy of The Illustrated Star Wars Universe. The Tatooine chapter has a whole section on Tusken culture, which is probably pretty problematic, but still, lots of neat Ralph McQuarrie art!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I was afraid I wasn't going to like this episode after seeing all the negative reactions, but the mod gang owns, Danny Trejo Rancor trainer owns, and the slow 70s cop show chase owns. Not as big of a fan of the Tuskens getting killed, but it doesn't look like everyone was wiped out? Hopefully they come back.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

She’s just playing it up and acting the part. You can almost hear a hint of amusement in her voice when she tells him where to go.

I'm reminded of her amused "This is the Way" to guilt Mando into taking care of Grogu in season 1.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

mutata posted:

Jumping through hyperspace ain't like dustin' crops either.

It's amusing to me that Luke probably had no idea what Han was talking about and the comparison flew right over his head.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

The Last Jedi owns and made me fall in love with Star Wars again, but Rise of Skywalker annoyed me so much I almost gave up on the series, but I then saw Knives Out the next week and that cooled me off, so thank you Rian Johnson for saving Star Wars for me twice.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Chiming in to agree with everyone saying that Andor is so good. I was unsure if I would enjoy it at first, but I ended up watching the first three episodes last night so I could watch the 4th today, and I'm now fully on board with the series. I'm loving the characters and story beats, and the energy in every scene is fantastic. The tension and sense of desperation makes me believe that this is how the galaxy actually felt in the leadup to the Rebellion. I'm just enjoying fully immersing myself in the setting and world.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Skeen also mentions Gerrera when he's chiding Nemik for falling asleep while on watch. Also I just noticed on rewatch that the blaster rifles the rebels are using look like modified Kalashnikovs, although it would be interesting if they were actually slugthrowers because the group couldn't get blasters.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

Having a character-driven middlebrow slow-boil Star War that shows a street-level view of living under the Empire really has me wanting to break out the Star Wars roleplaying books a lot more than I have in a long while to pretend to be space aliems on graph paper and stuff.

That just reminded me that Pablo Hidalgo posted this the other day.

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1575228548561764352?t=pvNkfjV1HLvOqQeKFw2P5A&s=19

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's almost impossible to overstate how much of a debt Star Wars, the idea, the property, whatever you call it, owes to WEG for keeping the lights on during the lean years of the 90's. Zahn used the RPG books as a setting bible so he could actually write a reasonably detailed series of novels about the universe you only ever saw colored in around the edges of Luke Skywalker's story.

Yeah I remember West End Games always getting a shout out in every book I've read. Also LucasArts as well.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Mon Mothma is going to reveal that she went back to get the cudgel as she goes Robert De Niro in The Untouchables on someone.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Another small detail I liked was when the servant very quickly got out of the room when Mon and Perrin were fighting without even a look back. That definitely wasn't the first time she dealt with this.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1576958645891309569?t=ZlM4zaah37JkyLJcd03K4Q&s=19

Funnily enough, I first heard about the Ghorman Massacre in the X-Wing strategy guide. I didn't realize it was a TTRPG thing.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 3, 2022

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I completely missed this.
https://twitter.com/jynkassa/status/1575070770795261952?t=eXGWMaZxZNuRUDW2tqZwnQ&s=19

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I said come in! posted:

it does seem like that even with all of the technology available, that being able to keep a close eye on star systems is still a challenge because of the overwhelming size of space. The Star Wars galaxy has millions of planets that can be landed on and used to hide in. The empire had to send out hundreds of probes across the galaxy to find the rebel base on Hoth, and they found it out of pure dumb luck and were ready to ignore it if it wasn't for Vader insisting they were there.

I liked how the old PC game Rebellion handled that. The Alliance home base starts on a random planet in the Outer Rim, and the Empire has to start searching every sector to try and find it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

That reminds me that apparently in Legends, Star Wars Galaxies made Captain Panaka a full blown Imperial collaborator. That was wild to find out.

Fake Edit: Apparently it's still canon and he was eventually assassinated by Saw's partisans.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Today's going to be a long day at work before I can watch the new episode. :(

I want to go in as blind as possible, but I hope it's good!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Just finished watching the episode and I'm eating up the tension like a steak. Loved it.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You just know the TIE Pilot was bored on Yet Another Patrol, saw some local herders, and decided to have some fun and turned back to buzz them at minimum altitude.

Yeah, as soon as I saw that the TIE approaching, I immediately thought "Oh, this pilot is definitely some shithead that gets off on scaring the locals."

EDIT: Also, gently caress Perrin and his little smirk when he knows he's driving a wedge between Mon and their daughter.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 5, 2022

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Madurai posted:

I'd say the Imperial officer is the most obvious wind-up-dead candidate, if only because dramatically, his role would have ended (they aren't going to "climb the same fence twice" as Ms. ISB put it)

Now what are the odds that it's one of the rebels that offs him in order to clean things up.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1578088130963308544?t=Y--oDJayxiQGNwS1VFj4Lg&s=19

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Genuinely, those books played a huge part in how I became a Star Wars fan, so they'll always hold a special place in my heart.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

The funniest result would be that Syril tells the ISB that Cassian has his blaster and then he's immediately arrested for providing equipment to a terrorist and/or being culpable for someone being shot by it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

The Empire was always Space America.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I had a huge grin throughout the entire episode. Fantastic, start to finish.

Some thoughts:

-The only disappointment was that the Kalshnikov was just a blaster.
-The base commander talking about how they were slowly picking away at the Aldhani was chilling. The shot of him and the colonel taking a sip of their caf as they discuss destroying a culture while Gorn looked on was really good.
-I personally loved the cuts between the heist and the ceremony. The energy of the pilgrims rising with the tension of the heist was great.
-Vel and Cintra doing the Metal Gear Solid underwater infiltration was super cool.
-At one point, I thought the heist was going to screw up early on. When the Imperial troops fall in to greet the pilgrims, one of the squad sergeants goes "Company, halt," and then Taramyn goes "Squad, halt," and there's a shot of the other troops looking confused. Also, I think at one point the rebels messed up the positioning of their blasters. A couple looked like they had theirs facing outward, while the others were facing inward.
-You could probably overlay Payday 2 music over the entire heist sequence and it will fit perfectly.
-Vel also has a pretty cold moment in the elevator, when she orders Cassian to be the first one out of the elevator. Really taking Luthen's comment about mercenaries being expendable to heart.
-The escape through the Eye was so good. It also reminded me of the Homeworld games where you have to navigate your ships through danger areas in very precise corridors.
-From the framing of the scenes, it does look like Cinta left the hostages alive, but maybe it's a misdirection and we'll find out she executed them all. Or maybe we'll find out that the Imps killed the hostages themselves to generate more outrage against the rebels.

NowonSA posted:

A lot of people have brought up the half-rear end covering fire but I actually didn't pick up on it at all personally, things were happening pretty fast there. What I do think is interesting in retrospect is Skeen riding hard to get the poor kid to a medic, which to me now reads as him not giving a poo poo if the kid lives or dies but wanting to give the mission a nice detour so he has an easy chance to try to steal the entire haul. He probably doesn't get that chance if they go straight to the planned meet-up and dock the ship at a rebel hidey-hole that has heaps of people there waiting for the heist shipment to arrive.

Yeah, I came to that realization as well, and it hurts even more because it felt like Nemik thought of Skeen as an actual friend.

EDIT: Another small detail I really liked was how the show makes Stormtroopers seem like a very big deal with Cassian's reaction to Skeen saying that Taramyn was formerly one, and how Cinta supposedly didn't take that fact well.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 13, 2022

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

It wouldn't surprise me if explosives were too expensive for the cell.

Also, it just hit me the symbolism of Nemik's death. Actually crushed by capitalism.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 13, 2022

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Sexism absolutely exists in the Empire, as indicated by ISB guy basically telling Dedra "Be quiet and do your job, dear."

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I love Squadrons so much. I appreciate a multiplayer game that isn't another BR or hero shooter with niche asymetrical gameplay. Wish more people played online. :smith:

A longer campaign would be great as well. It's clear the team were big X-Wing/TIE Fighter fans and wanted to hearken back to those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Oh neat, didn't realize there was a PSN giveaway. Hopefully it got a boost.