Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

As far as the prequels go, the only thing I remember was a rumour about Mace Windu having a big rematch with Boba Fett, which I absolutely believed, because of course everyone knows Boba Fett is the ultimate badass super-soldier. Does anybody else remember that one?
This was actually somewhat true. There's an illustration or two of it in the Episode 3 art book, but the idea was dropped because it would have been too much deviation from the main story of the movie, and Fett would've been too young to believably pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

Why did the Clone Troopers all have Jango's accent? Accents aren't genetic, and Jango wasn't the one training them. Shouldn't they have Kimonoan accents?

Maybe they do, and it just happens to sound similar to Jango's. The actress who played Taun We is also from New Zealand (and played Temuera Morrison's wife in Once Were Warriors) and the Kaminoan prime minister is played by an Australian dude.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That mummy gently caress? Just bring Simon Pegg back.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

The From a Certain Point of View short stories brought back Bea Arthur's character from the Holiday Special, and gave her a same-sex partner. Thought that was nice :)

Another story from that also had TK-421 and Tarkin in a relationship, but for some reason it's not mentioned at all in Tarkin's Wookieepedia entry, and TK-421's only says he was in a relationship with "a superior officer".

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I thought it was a great episode.

And... is that who I think it was?

The sound of the spurs made me think Boba Fett, since they did the same thing with him in Empire. I hope it's not though - he doesn't really have a reason to enter the story at this point, especially if they're keeping with him not being an actual Mandalorian.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

He also dead :crossarms:

So were Maul and Palpatine, but pit death sadly doesn't mean much anymore.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I noticed they did the same thing with some of the sabers in Rebels.
What's interesting to me is that rather than just lowering the brightness on the blades through color correction they appear to have actually gone back into the shots and lowered the blade opacity, revealing what's behind them.

I can see why they chose to do it this way - the newer movies are treating lightsabers more realistically in terms of camera effects, and have them become less opaque when there's more motion blur.

Some of it still looks a little janky though - the cores should inherit more color from the glow rather than just becoming a dim gray, and the brown blobs of the contact flares are pretty ugly, but it's nice that they went to the effort of updating the show's accessibility at all.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

GLOSS posted:

Also in that group we had Prince Xizor as well, we're really tying a bunch of poo poo together here it's so good...

That was Ziton Moj, who appeared earlier in the series. They just decided all Falleen dress alike.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't get it - Rosario didn't shoot her scenes yet? I thought MandoS2 wrapped filming before covid shut everything down?

I think the rumors are that there were shots being filmed specifically for the trailer, which wouldn't be for the series itself (like the shot of Jyn at the end of the Rogue One trailer, which was just something cool Gareth Edwards wanted to shoot, but didn't actually have a place anywhere in the movie)

Also, actors sometimes don't get announced as part of a show's cast until they're in the end credits, especially if it's supposed to be a surprise role or just a cameo. In this case, I wouldn't expect anything about Ahsoka to be confirmed until she actually appears on screen.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

edit: And other collectibles were variations of your lightsaber that you could only see when modifying your lightsaber? Very silly. A real half baked idea.

Most of the hilt options are pieces you can get at Star Wars Land, so it may have just been added for brand synergy.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Really loved this episode, and more a "real life" Gozanti cruiser? Hell yes.

They've been around for a while:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

site posted:

I wonder if whatever Jedi makes contact after they reach the temple will be someone we know, or someone new
If any of Gideon's experiments are successful, it probably won't be a Jedi that finds them.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'd prefer not to have a show I've been looking forward to not be spoiled before it airs. Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

To be fair, I don't think there's any information about who she actually is, only speculation based on the trailers.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Larryb posted:

That was apparently a different Rancor but yeah (I still wonder what happened to Muchi though).

Narratively it's supposed to be the same Rancor, they just discarded the old name so Wookieepedants wouldn't figure it out as soon as they heard the kid was called "Pateesa".

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

shades of eternity posted:

I understand the meta reasons for it (merchandising and not wanting to arm children), but from a story standpoint, it made no sense.

When has the bad batch used a bow of that sort?

I kind of wonder if an earlier version of the character was connected to the Nightsisters in some way, since the energy bow was exclusive to them before this series. I could see them making her a clone just to tie the group closer together, but still wanting to give her the bow as a unique weapon.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Its Rinaldo posted:

I mean the best Star Wars to come out in the last decade, Rogue One and Mandalorian, eschewed all those trappings for the most part.

That's because Star Wars is space fantasy, but it's also space western and space war movie. Star Wars is just an aesthetic that can be laid on top of other genres to tell whatever story you want.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Considering her name is Omega, it's highly likely she was created as some sort of "end" to the clones. It could just be that she was the last one produced, or it could be something more sinister.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Bismuth posted:

I think there is actually a canon timeline, which imo is way too drat tight, the whole clone war happened in 3 years. TCW made it seem like a lot longer in subtle ways which i think was great, the war lasting like 10 years like the cartoon made it seem would have been hugely preferable to the real timeline.

The decision to tell the war in realtime between Episodes 2 & 3 was an interesting experiment but definitely did compress things a lot. Stretching things out and having the series start several years into the war would even have allowed them to retcon the Togruta youngling in Episode II to be Ahsoka like they originally wanted.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, Star Wars is an extremely oral culture - stuff passes by word of mouth or hologram, and if there's nobody around who saw something firsthand, it may as well have never happened.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, but it only works on people who are "weak minded", so if it affects you it's your own fault really. Shoulda put more points into willpower.

Luke's only mistake was changing his mind about the Jedi at the end of the movie.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Sash! posted:

I'll always be a little disappointed that the Yoda Emperor fight wasn't some sort of insane wizard battle instead of devolving to a sword fight

Especially as a counterpoint to what Obi-Wan and Anakin are doing. I guess there was a little bit with Palpatine throwing the pods and then blasting Yoda with lighting, but even that was just a larger-scale retread of Yoda's fight with Dooku in Episode 2.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Star Wars cloning uses Metal Gear Solid logic, I guess. Omega is Liquid Fett.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

God I love the big abandoned floating cities of Star Wars. And the abandoned asteroid bases. And the abandoned temple refuges. And the entire worlds covered in derelict starships.

It's all so big and old and used.

This one in particular has an interesting connection to Star Wars history. In early drafts of The Empire Strikes Back, Bespin was home to a race of tall white-skinned aliens that ride flying manta rays - an idea that was eventually reused for the Kaminoans. In the same drafts, Lando was also a clone and a refugee from the Clone Wars who was hiding out on Cloud City. So putting an abandoned Kaminoan cloning facility on a floating station is a pretty neat callback to the early ideas that led to the Bad Batch series being able to exist in the first place.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I imagine the Kaminoan clone was just there to reinforce that it's a Kaminoan facility. Omega mentions that it's similar to Tipoca City, but it's so dilapidated that I wouldn't fault a kid (or a particularly dense studio executive) watching it to not be able to read it as Kaminoan, even though the architecture is the same.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Speaking of doctors and how many Easter eggs they’re sneaking in, what about a young Dr Pershing? I don’t see any info for his age on Wookiepedia, so it may be a bit early…but the Kaminoans can’t last forever playing these kinds of games.

Omid Abtahi was about 40 during the first season of Mandalorian, which would make him about 12 or 13 during Bad Batch. I could see them doing some timeline fudging or having him play the character's father though, since he voiced a character in a couple of episodes of The Clone Wars, so they obviously liked him enough to bring him back for the live action stuff.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, Filoni seems like a good choice now, but the reason Feige was in that position in the first place was because he'd already had several years of producing Marvel movies before starting development on the MCU. Putting 2013 Dave Filoni in charge of Star Wars would have been like hiring someone to take over a farm just because they're running a successful restaurant.

The other option might have been to promote him to an executive position that has no real practical responsibilities, but is basically just a glorified "idea guy", which I don't think would have worked. Tons of writers and directors probably had ideas for what a "Star Wars Episode 7" could be, and it would have been tough to hire anyone on the condition of not getting to implement any of them, and instead doing whatever The Cartoon Guy wants.

It's also worth considering what Filoni's 2013 ideas would have looked like. He was a Star Wars fan, but he was also a Star Wars fan. Wiping the slate clean wasn't a guarantee at that point, and although Clone Wars toed the line on continuity sometimes, Filoni is the guy who's leading the charge on incorporating elements from the EU. There's a chance that his version of the sequels would have featured Bug Orgies, or BDSM aliens dropping a moon on Chewie.

And that's only if he didn't just dutifully execute Lucas' outlines for the sequels, which is something that Disney wasn't interested in doing anyway.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That's true. There's compilations of in-theater reactions on youtube for the sequels, and the moments that get big reactions in 7 are all things that have to do with recognizing something from the older movies, while the big reactions in 8 are mostly due to developments within the story of that movie. The Abrams movies are kind of designed to be seen once in a theater and then never again, while Johnson's movie seems to be more constructed to fit into a multi-generational saga that people are going to see several times over the course of a few decades.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Larryb posted:

You'd think they'd have made a rough outline of the general plot of the trilogy before TFA was even put into production but it seems to me like they didn't really have a plan at all and were basically making poo poo up as they went along. Is this more or less accurate?

They started by developing the story for Episode 7 on its own, and then about a week after it started filming, a bunch of Lucasfilm execs (plus Dave Filoni and Pablo Hidalgo) got together to brainstorm where the other two movies could go. One thing they really wanted was for Leia to be the fulcrum for Kylo's redemption, which is why they were so adamant about not killing her off between 8 and 9. They also talked about what Rey's role in the story would be, and how she connected to the other characters. They were specifically latching onto the idea that she wouldn't be related to anyone by blood, but would be adopted by the Skywalker family over the course of the series.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Disney Star Wars definitely has the opportunity to be the MCU (or going back futher, Ultimate) version of the Expanded Universe, but so far it's just the ancillary stuff that's doing it right.

The Episode 9 redo of Dark Empire is like kicking off the MCU Spider-Man with a Clone Saga adaptation.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

I also think Headland's Acolyte series is placed where it is (during "the final days of the High Republic era") for more-or-less the same reason.

And Palpatine was born 2 years before the High Republic era officially ends, so what are the odds they'll do Baby Sheev as a counterpoint to baby Yoda?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

How they missed the mark on focusing on Finn's Stormtrooper rebellion arc they had setup is beyond me. That should have been an easy layup by the third movie.

The Abrams and Terrio version of the movie was never going to include Finn rallying active-duty stormtroopers into a rebellion, since they wanted him to discover people who had turned against the First Order voluntarily. They didn't want him to be some aberration within the 100% evil ranks of the Stormtroopers, and instead wanted him to find kinship with other people who were like him.

Even so, there was originally more to the version of the story that ended up in the movie. Jannah and her group were originally sentenced to work in a First Order labor camp after their rebellion, and made to tear apart damaged Star Destroyers. Since they could connect the dots and figure out a common component failure among all the ships, they started to put together a device that, once installed in the fleet's command ship, could shut all the First Order's ships down.

The horseback charge on the Star Destroyer originally had the objective of getting Finn to the bridge to install the device and bring the fleet down from the inside. Later changes turned this into the navigation beacon that ended up in the movie.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Nice to see the Ralph McQuarrie design being used for the first generation stormtroopers. They were going to do something similar with the original TIE fighters in Solo, so I wonder if we'll see Colin Cantwell's Star Destroyer pop up at some point. Is there a canon look for the Victory class yet?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Legends had Stormtroopers with a bunch of different designations, and the first Certain Point of View book mentioned that TK Stormtroopers were specifically under Vader or Tarkin's command, while other groups used different letters. The idea of all Stormtroopers having TK designations is new, and I think has only been mentioned in The Mandalorian and Bad Batch so far.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I don't think there are any number/name designations in Star Wars that make sense if you think about them even a little bit. 3PO apparently refers to the droid's type, so did the factory only do a production run of 26 units?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

jassa posted:

Fraternal twins is a definite possibility. I'm more curious about her name - ignoring the whole Greek/English/Basic language tangent, why was she given a name which basically means "last of a series" if she's a Gen 0 clone?

From a writing perspective they may have just gone with the Alpha/Omega designations for Boba and Omega because it implies a connection between them, without one of them having the negative connotations of being the "Beta".

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

jassa posted:

from what I understand Filoni and the other writers have continued that trend ever since. I think now instead of George there's a committee or group of people who have final say about what can/can't be made Disney canon.

Kind of - The hierarchy seems to be Movies > TV > Lucasfilm Story Group > Everything Else. Movies and TV can do whatever they want, and the Story Group tells the comics and novel people what they can't use because higher visibility projects might want to do something with it.

For example, Coruscant's been totally absent from post-ROTJ stories because it was supposed to be in Episode 9, and they didn't want another project contradicting its fate or spoiling it early.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Pretty sure that was a revalation unique to Fallen Order and wasn't actually part of the plan for TFA anyways. It was just "Hoth but Death Star!"

Yeah, it's unlikely that it came from the movie, but it was something that's been theorized since TFA-era galaxy maps were published that had the base roughly in the same place as Ilum had been previously.
Pablo Hidalgo or someone else might have had the idea early on, but concept art for the base didn't have a specific planetary biome, and they seem to have settled on Not Hoth because of a piece of concept art JJ liked featuring a Jedi/Sith duel at night in a snowy forest.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Nanigans posted:

It's also hilarious that they apparently locked a guy in a room for days to do the deepfake and then decided to not use it and do deaging instead? Or did I misunderstand that? The deepfake stuff looked better...

They looked at three different ways of doing it:
  • Full CGI Reconstruction like Tarkin and Leia in Rogue One
  • Marvel style digital airbrushing
  • Deepfakes
The way they talked about it in the special, the decision to do the Marvel style stuff was due to the technology being more well established and controllable. Deepfakes might have gotten a good result, but it was untested on an actual production, so they went with the technique that actually had a more developed methodology.

Apparently Lucasfilm hired the guy who did the Deepfake of the scene on youtube though, so they might use that if Luke shows up again in Season 3.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Teek posted:

Was the same look to hide the seams? Meaning did they want to do something else but more or less forced to do it that way, or did they choose to do it that way from the start.

They kind of discussed it when talking about the costume - stuff like his robe in the movie actually being brown but people remember it as black. They specifically wanted to hit people's nostalgia to help sell the effect of the character, so deliberately went with a "this is what you remember" version of Luke rather than strictly depicting the reality.

It's also kind of cheeky that it happened to line up with the Expanded Universe version of Luke, where they could only legally use promo stills from the movies rather than current photos of the characters, so EU Luke kind of eternally looked like ROTJ anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Sash! posted:

I was always a little disappointed that Obi-Wan desert hermit robes became Jedi uniform, instead of it turning out the Luke's blacks were their look.

I guess it was kind of established when Anakin showed up in ROTJ wearing the same thing as Obi-Wan, but Episode I briefly took more inspiration from Luke's Jedi look:

The movie was storyboarded using these types of costumes, so it seems like for a while they were the approved Jedi Look until it was changed to the farmer robes.