Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Arc Hammer posted:

I watched The Twins.

Are we sure that Studio Trigger isn't just taking the piss here? I wouldn't put it past them to go "let's take this opportunity to make exactly what people would expect when they hear the words Star Wars Anime, and then make it even more over the top bugfuck nonsense on purpose." Neil Patrick Harris is trying to sound like Steve Staley and Alison Brie is just screaming the whole time, half the dialogue is exposition and the other half is loud declarations, the animation flip flops between early 2000s flash cartoons and epileptic seizure episodes, the droid is the only one that needs a helmet in space. The whole thing has to be a joke.

I'd chalk it up as a misfire if I didn't think they made it stupid on purpose.

I mean, that's just Studio Trigger in general.

The Twins was probably like visually my favorite of the bunch, like the style and flow and shot composition was so loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Ethan was fine for what he was which was a pure hearted idiot being taken for a ride. The character with an actual arc was Kara

Not to mention her being the literal namesake of the Short as the "9th Jedi"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

people are incredibly weird about this poo poo lol

It's a different world. with different rules or different crystals, the lightsaber color stuff is nottied to alignment for anyone or anything other than the lightsabers in this universe.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/aoEngineering/status/1438648790102249475

Edit: This isn't meant as some gotcha. Despite coming off as one probably.

It's very very funny just how common it is for poo poo like this to happen across all media, because no one ever checks artwork or poo poo for plagiarism, once you leave college lol.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ToR's agent story is so loving good.

It's literally nothing more than cleaning up the mistakes and poo poo that the rear end in a top hat sith lords cause by being assholes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Robot Style posted:

Superman is weak to magic, but luckily the Force is just a run of the mill energy field focused through blood microbes, so he'd be fine.

It's the Kryptonite lightsaber has to worry about.

Superman isn't weak to Magic, Magic is just something he's not immune to. :eng101:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The star wars ffg game is pretty much feature complete at this point.

It's my favorite of the SW systems by far.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1484659101908881409

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I think Kyle is unique enough nowadays to use

But yeah lol Dash Rendar

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

She's got to be playing Sabine Wren right?

Nope

https://deadline.com/2021/11/star-wars-ahsoka-natasha-liu-bordizzo-sabine-wren-disney-plus-rosario-dawson-1234877527/

I was thinking paint her green and make her Bariss Offee

Unless they bring back that one lady who played her in Clones.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ballz posted:

Stick with the green paint and throw in some lekku and you got yourself a Hera.

That too

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I don't think they need to redo the Sequel trilogy or explain anything

The world state is in a fine enough state where you could literally do anything with it.dont need to "redeem" it.

It ended in a place where they can just go from there. Without much need to explain anything that happens during the course of it.

But yeah they should just start making up and telling stories of what goes on in the world next.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It's Symbolism, that they then extremely undercut by Rey calling herself Rey Skywalker because JJ Abrams is a hack. But Burying the lightsabers was probably supposed to represent ending the Skywalker story.

But once again JJ Abrams is a hack.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/themandalorian/status/1529898551748087808

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The entire like script leaked. Like a half year ago or so

A whole bunch of people are making a bunch of incredibly specific predictions outchea

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It's almost like indoctrination and manipulation are a thing that can easily make you turn against your own friends and family.

Especially when you were taken away from your actual family as a kid and were literally loving taught not to have connections or emotions.

Like Jedi younglings and Padawans are absurdly easy to break because they have already shown they can be indoctrinated and already are trained to be disassociated from the world and ignore connections and strong feelings towards others.

Just need to flip that a bit and they are easily turned into monsters.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Same here.

Which means it's extremely not hard for one to get to a mental place where they will hunt other Jedi.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

teagone posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure how anyone would be able to cull that Reva was one of the younglings in the cold open, other than maybe if they had read a plot leak or are making the connection through other lol-worthy reasons. That'd be a significant plot point to just not mention in the opener. Logical writing would suggest either the master with them would've sgaid her name or one of the padawans would've said her name, or both for emphasis.

Eh, that seems like the most obvious reveal in the world ngl.

You don't reveal it in the opening because you want the plot reveal and kick for an episode ender later it also would theoretically explain why she would know so much about Anakin/Vader.

I legitimately don't know if it's the case or not, as I only got spoiled on the direct ending of the series and nothing about the specifics, but it was my first thought. As otherwise focusing on that specific group as a prequel seems a bit wasteful when you like could just use more prequel footage from RoS of younglings dying.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

You show the opening scene with the Jedi being killed to re-establish the horrific genocide that they had done to them, and why they are in hiding.

The idea that the opening scene has to only be a set up for a story to work is absurd.

It probably is setting up some twist but come on now.

Just as someone doing a meta analysis of it

I get why you show the scene or a scene like it to establish the genocide, but like they didn't film a new scene for stuff where they just showed the prequel footage, you just show Anakin murking younglings , as you are already using RoS footage elsewhere.

But they specifically decided to film a new scene with a new set of characters, it's not a long logical leap to think hey those younglings that we don't see get murdered on screen might be plot relevant at some point.

Not saying it's impossible they did just film it to get a more modern showing of it.

But I get how someone could think of hey some or all of these characters might come up later and start making guesses without it being "oh this person definitely knows the spoilers"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

teagone posted:

I really don't have an issue with a cold open being used for some narrative setup later in general. But we're already 2 episodes into a 6 episode miniseries; I feel like the writing doesn't have the luxury of some longwinded reveal that Reva was one of the younglings in the opener when it would've been just as effective/poignant to explicitly know her motivations (or at least part of them) for becoming an Inquisitor from the start. I would've cared more about the character, personally, since that's a cool angle.

Since Reva is going to be a central character we are probably going to get a background story on her as part of an episode.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lmao if it's just an animated Dooku Lost.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also like not being an rear end in a top hat and narcing someone out to the cops for no loving reason.

Like there are people who I hate, who I would not narc to the police on some bullshit.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mameluke posted:

Yeah I'm justifying it. I'm saying why I think it's good. Is that what you read in my posts? There is a reason she is being harrassed to a degree beyond the other women and minorities who do Disney nerd poo poo.

The thing is she is not. Literally every single one received this exact level of harassment.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Boyega has literally talked about how he got this exact same poo poo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Why were they angry at Daisy Ridley? Just because she was a woman Jedi? Lol

Yes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

remember when they specifically removed C3PO's memory of just TLJ after doing a "death" fakeout.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

That DICK! posted:

ah yes, lets send out ewan mcgregor to reason with the frothing twitter racists, that will do it. this is a multi-billion dollar franchise, they can't pay someone to manage her social media for a few weeks?

she shouldn't have to but that seems like a more practical solution than defeating racism

What?

Like she shouldn't have to deal with it, nor should she give her social media over to her job to manage.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

That DICK! posted:

ok just ask the racists on twitter extra politely then

Jerkface posted:

Good for Ewan, it's not enough to just not be racist you have to be anti racist which is why just ignoring it is not the move.

these fucks need to know they aren't welcome in the community and obiwan Kenobi hates them

You will Never get rid of racists, but gently caress the solution being well just stop going online. gently caress that poo poo. my guy.

There will always be racists(trust me I know) but that doesn't mean you just ignore that poo poo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I'm not convinced that these statements are going to work either...

Short term no, but also at least you show you have your actor's and employee's backs and give a poo poo about them.

Like from personal experience you will never stop someone from being racist, but you can at the very least make it clear that no one else agrees with them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Everyone posted:

One other thing about this series is that it's retconned something else. In the second Thrawn novel it's presented from Vader's point of view that the knowledge that Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker were the same person is a huge secret that almost no one knows. Meanwhile here, not only does the Third Sister know that secret, she has no problem blabbing it to Obi-Wan just to taunt/unsettle him. There's also no "special relationship" between her and Vader to explain that. He clearly has no problem threatening her with death for failing just like he would any other pissant serving him.

That's not a retcon.

She just knows it for whatever reason. The Key word there is "almost" no one knows.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

I mean, what star wars are you claiming is worse than this? Holiday special? At least that had bea arthur, america's sweetheart

I'd rather watch this than Rise of Skywalker ever again.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ms Marvel only has one episode, but uh yeah, assuming it doesn't fall off a cliff(which is always possible) it is by far the best episode 1 of any of the Disney Live Action TV shows.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like if you ask me my opinion on Kathleen Kennedy, I don't particularly think she's done a great job as the "Feige" of the Star Wars Movie and TV franchise under Disney.

At least as far as the products they have put out very few of them I would consider good. And like Clone Wars/Bad Batch were like continuations of things that existed before Disney, and Mando and Bad Batch are the only unequivocally "Good" new star wars thing that has come out of her time running it in my opinion.

TFA was alright, for what it was trying to do and set up a decent enough platform, TLJ was messy and needed to be more focused, but had some interesting ideas that I liked, and RoS was the worst star wars thing ever created.(I guess there could be some EU books I haven't read, but I've read a bunch of them, and all of them were better)

Mando, Great, Mostly good stuff.

Boba, outside of the Mando episodes, and some of the Dances with wolves stuff, feels like nothing.

Obi-Wan, Fine, but doesn't feel like it's bringing anything of value, other than hey these characters yo.

This is all my opinion, if you like the things I didn't then you probably have a more positive opinion than I do.

And therein lies the problem with loving reactionary chud assholes, it poisons the well, because man I don't think she's done a good job. But not because "omg sjw politics in my star wars".

I think Filoni is also more touch and go when not with the crew that he does the cartoons with. Clone Wars/Rebels/Bad Batch are great. But Boba Fett was not(that could just be because I think Filoni's characterization of Fett has never been great, going back to clone wars stuff; not even on some "MAN BOBA SHOULD BE COOL poo poo" I'm fine with him being lame and not a super badass, but he just does nothing interesting with the character)

Ashoka is going to be pretty interesting test case as it seems like it's just a Rebels sequel.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 10, 2022

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Valve Steam Deck posted:

There are dozens of Disney execs with their hands in the wars pot, the destiny of the stars in their hands, and you can't name a single one. But you can name Kennedy at the drop of a hat. Ever consider why that is?

She is in the same role that Kevin Feige is in.

I know Feige's name because he is the face of the executive level of MCU at Disney

Just like Kennedy is always used as the face of the executive level of Star Wars at Disney

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah, like that has literally been the text of pretty much everything star wars.

Hell the ST essential starts with Leia being pushed out and sidelined in the new republic because she's like "hey maybe we should proactively stomp out these neo Nazis that are returning before they get power"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I love how they nailed every single type of cop in the first 3 episodes of this series.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

zoux posted:

Hard to overstate how loving fired Lt. Jude Lawman is about to be when his boss gets back from his work deal

he is extremely going to get a promotion lol.

Empire is going to love his gumption, and fire his boss for trying to hide it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

He did it because he was jealous in a situation where it was clearly established that they were in a once or twice a week booty call situation. Where he is not entitled to know jack poo poo about what is going on in her life.

Maybe not a boot licker but he is to blame for most every thing that happened.

If he didn't give them a name it would have taken much much longer to narrow down Cassian, and he'd be long gone.

gently caress that dude, he deserved that L.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

all I need from Ahsoka is Bariss Offee, who was 100% correct about the Jedi, to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

IIRC it was brought up in Rebels as being around the 2 BBY timeline.

It was the thing that led to Mothma leaving the Imperial Senate and officially announcing the Alliance to Restore the Republic to the Galaxy.