Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's 100% not Sabine. She might show up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I liked it. It's nice having a show where there's zero focus on Jedi, though the reliance on movie characters like BB-8 and Phasma was pretty jarring (at least Poe Dameron went away).

I didn't think the show did a great job of establishing the station, it just seems incredibly tiny and limited.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 9, 2018

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I find Neeku to be more annoying than Kaz. There just isn't anything to that character at all other than dumb lines.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Looks way more like James Marsters.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

the mandalorian looks alright, but it does the thing that every extended star wars thing has to do where it does the thing from the movies - e.g. han solo being encased in carbonite, which was implied to be an extreme and personal punishment from jabba where he used an industrial process on a human for sheer cruelty and also to display him in public, but in the mandalorian he does it to EVERY TARGET APPARENTLY

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Are we sure those are actually Trandoshans, does EW know their Star Wars species? They look way more like Barabel
:goonsay:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

No one would confuse Gina Carano for a good actor but she has presence and charisma in a way that is very similar to a typical 80s action star. Like just compare her to Ronda Rousey to see how big a difference that natural charisma makes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Immensely so. There's literally no reason to mention the two in the same sentence other than say that they're both pioneers in the arena of women's mixed martial arts.

And they both turned to acting, which is why I made that comparison.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

I guess the hot new "exclusive insider rumor" going around is that (spoiled because it's almost definitely not true but you'll probably see people talk about it) instead of being in Mandalorian season 2 they're doing an Ahsoka live-action show.

Seems like it'd make more sense post-Mandalorian once they've seen the reaction to her, but hey I'd take it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think it would be surprising if Sabine shows up, but 100% Sasha Banks is not playing Sabine.

It all depends on how much time they will spend on the Ahsoka/Bo-Katan, etc. plot this season, when there's still a possibility they will just show up for one episode at most. I think some leak even suggested that Ahsoka will literally just be in one scene, which is the season cliffhanger.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I quite liked the Sisters episodes from season 7. Much better than the Bad Batch anyway, which was just, I dunno, very derivative and basic. It's so rare that we get to see how "regular" people live in Star Wars.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rewatching Clone Wars Obi-Wan was always a weirdly racist, often callous and arrogant dude, very much modelled on that old-timey colonial serial explorer like Allan Quatermain and such. There are some episodes with the Geonosians that just make him come off as incredibly repugnant. It's something I hope they tap into in the new show.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 6, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I recommend people watch Once Were Warriors if they think Temuera is a white dude

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I searched for "aurebesh" in that article and it wasn't even mentioned, this guy is full of poo poo

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Penitent posted:

The famous Jedi? They were morons, let's burn their dumb books!

I don't really care about the sequels, we might as well burn the whole thing and forget they ever existed, but the jedi being absolute morons is key to the series. They engineered their own downfall by being complacent, arrogant, and completely oblivious to the problems that were right in front of them. They didn't give a poo poo about anything other than maintaining "order", they supported slavery, they ran a weird sexless cult, they kidnapped babies and turned them into child soldiers. If Palpatine hadn't been there they'd have found some other way to gently caress up their entire society because all it took for them to lose their poo poo was a group of planets wanting to leave the republic for completely justifiable reasons. AJAB.

Luke should not take any lessons from the jedi other than "please be a nice person and maybe be measured in your use of the force".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That DICK! posted:

It was key to the trilogy that everyone was clamoring for Disney to ignore until they made their own trilogy that was somehow even worse. I liked how The Mandalorian seemed like a rededication to making stuff in the tone of the good films while not relying too hard on stuff from the good films. The Mandalorian guy is cool because he has cool armor and does cool things, sure maybe there's an AT-ST here or there but it doesn't rely on you knowing that he's Paplan Varktu, the grandson of Grand Moff Fartso from the Nickelodean limited run series Star Wars: Adventure Babies. Like that's the poo poo we all hated from the prequel trilogy right?? Why are people now pretending its cool

Because it loving is. It doesn't mean those movies are good, because they're not, but actually subverting the myths and making the jedi responsible for their own downfall is a great idea because it introduces the possibility of improving on how things used to be. If Anakin could just gently caress none of this poo poo would've happened. Also Mando is cool for lots of reasons, like showing how galactic society actually works on a day to day basis is something it does all the time and it rules, it's just way better at it than the prequels.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 31, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Servetus posted:

The only slavery in the Republic is droid slavery, Tatooine was outside of Republic control and didn't even accept Republic money

Clones are slaves

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Obviously the empire is worse, that’s not the point. The jedi still let it happen, and maybe the solution is to not do that again maybe.

Servetus posted:

Fair point. But that doesn't say anything about the status of slavery apart from the extreme situation of the clone wars. Padme is genuinely shocked at the existence of slavery in Tatooine in TPM, hardly consistent with slavery being normalized in the Republic.

It says something about how they consider slavery okay as long as the circumstances allow it. Ignoring the issue of whether or not droids are slaves because they will never actually address that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Seems obvious to me that the show ran into a bunch of production issues, whether it be COVID or something else, and they pulled the Mando ripcord in order to film a bunch of really simple scenes that they knew people would love. Like consider what actually happened in the Mando episodes - there are basically zero extras outside of the ring world scene, they are focused on a few locations, and all revolve around two/three characters with a heavy reliance on CGI and masked characters. Like they just needed to get Rosario and Amy Sedaris for a day and that’s that, the rest can be done with stunt guys and the FX crew.

I still liked the show overall but it’s unfortunate that everything went down the way it did, and they kinda did Temuera dirty by making someone else take center stage.

Also don’t introduce Cad Bane at the end and then immediately kill him off, what are you doing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ballz posted:

Did I miss it or have we already talked about Ray Stevenson joining the cast of Ahsoka to play Admiral Definitely Not Thrawn?

I mean maybe he's actually just playing Gar Saxon, the character that he plays. Or his son or something. Basically whoever the rival for Sabine is going to be.

thrawn527 posted:

(Imperial Fleet) THIRTEEN!!!

It’s fun seeing posts like this because this is basically what they just did in Rebels. They had both Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus as opposing Mandalorian leaders.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 12, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Why would you not want storm troopers to look like chumps, in the film series where they literally always look like chumps

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Why the gently caress did Indira Varma save the thermal detonator for when she was near death. When they opened the hangar door there were like 40 stormtroopers clumped together and I kept saying "wow I bet they really wish they had some grenades right about now, you could take out all those guys in one blow" and then she loving pulls one out two minutes later just to make a heroic sacrifice for no reason

Insanely stupid show

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 16, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

I feel a bit sorry for people who get genuinely hung up on "why didn't X logical thing happen" because it seems like a really exhausting way to consume fiction.

Like, I know Leia can fix electronics because I'm watching her fix electronics.

It's less of a problem if you can't say this about basically every scene in this episode. Ideally things should make some kind of sense. FWIW I don't have a problem with the Leia stuff, but the thermal detonator poo poo was just a cheap way to write off the one interesting new character they introduced here so much that it robbed the moment of any sort of gravitas.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

She grew up in the Jedi temple, until a certain point anyway

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It will never not be funny to me that there are still people trying to deny that review bombing is a thing despite the fact that you can just... go look.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 20, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You would maybe have a point if racists or MRA dipshits only targeted poorly received media when that has like... never been the case. To take a recent example, Turning Red.

It's almost as if this is a general problem with the way media criticism is presented to us through Rotten Tomatoes et al, and not so much anything to do with the real world. You're just spouting insane conspiracy poo poo that cannot be proven or disproven but sounds kind of plausible except this isn't what PR teams in the real world do when they're at work. This is a show that has received mostly positive feedback, they are not trying to deflect anything.

Edit: That RLM Ghostbusters 2016 review really broke a lot of people's brains.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 20, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

My guy I have worked in marketing for 20 years, there is no such thing as an employee that is sitting around writing or commissioning fake reviews in the scale of thousands

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Darko posted:

If you worked in marketing for 20 years and don't get the concept of amplifying things, even negative, to work in your favor, I have no idea what to say.

You are describing a broad concept, not a literal thing that happens. I'd be glad to hear about actual examples from your apparent experiences of paid workers sitting around deliberately review bombing poo poo on a large scale.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 20, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Darko posted:

You seem to be confusing what is happening. Nobody is saying Disney is writing fake reviews.

I'm sorry I must have misunderstood the time where you said exactly that

Darko posted:

Issue is, marketing departments now figured out to create review bombing when things are actually bombing.

Are you saying that review bombing never happens in a vacuum or something?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

I think that was meant as create as in "create the movement that makes the reviews". Not create as in "create the reviews"

That implies that review bombing never happens until there are news stories about it, which is very much not the case!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It is awesome to completely ignore what’s been happening in marketing over the last 20 years.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Agree. It says a lot about Disney when in their own words they realized the only reason Solo was bad was because they recast Han Solo. They’re never going to actually admit what they did or why what they made was bad.

Now who loving doesn't know how marketing works? Why would Disney ever be out there saying "yeah dog we made a bad movie sorry everyone". You seem to think that corporations are playing 5D chess with their marketing strategies and depending on racist tweets drawing attention away from bad reviews when this show reviewed really well and continues to do so.

It's such an inane conversation to be having, as if the last like 10 years of angry racist nerd screeds isn't just the same poo poo that has been happening across all media and politics and the world in general. But no yeah it's definitely Disney exaggerating a backlash against Moses Ingram/Kathleen Kennedy/Kelly Marie Tran as opposed to something that happens on the internet literally every day to women and people of colour - it's all nuwoke striverist wokewashed nuprogressive virtue signalling to make the far left and far right fight each other, while I, the brilliant independent thinker, sit to myself and chuckle at the plebs who continue to dance beneath the puppet master's strings :jerkbag:

Goddamn this thread loving sucks man

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Also if review bombing is so easily detectable as everyone in this thread says it is, why wouldn't IMDB and RottenTomatoes just filter out?

Why wouldn't Twitter just filter out slurs? Why wouldn't Instagram just protect against targeted attacks? Why wouldn't Facebook just do anything at all about the incredibly harmful poo poo that it is allowing to happen every day? Is this a serious question?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Darko posted:

Obi Wan is also the second worst reviewed currently popular show on RT, sitting at 83 percent, while other currently running streaming shows The Boys is at 98, Stranger Things is at 89, Ms Marvel is at 95, Umbrella Academy is at 91, and Peaky Blinders is at 100.

No executive is seeing the show as "reviewing really well" because it isn't. They want everything in the 90s, not dropping towards the 70s. And, yeah, RT is a stupid metric but it's a stupid metric that's used for perception, and being 10 points below the other popular stuff is not a good look.

Obviously they would like for their RT score to be higher, but you're talking about critic reviews, which they have no control over (unless you wanna start arguing about whether or not they pay off reviewers, which, let's not). But okay, let's look at the audience score, which is currently at 62%. That seems about right for this show, which, by the way, I also don't think is very good.

Googling it, it was apparently at 71% when it premiered. The disparity does not seem massive, so if we assume that review bombing accounts for around 10%. What has Disney supposedly done here?

1) Paid a bunch of news sites to write about how the show is getting review bombed so they can... do what? Direct attention away from those 10% negative user ratings and get people to be mad about supposed strawman racists on social media? What does that accomplish for them? It doesn't increase the score again and it's not going to convince anyone who doesn't like the show that it's suddenly good.

2) They wrote a tweet where they said that queer characters are not political and that wars are. This is the bare minimum they can do.

Are these strategies working for them? Are people "distracted" enough to worry about racism rather than the quality of the show? How can anyone tell? We don't have viewer numbers on Disney+, but the people who have spent the last decade complaining about Kathleen Kennedy don't exactly need an excuse to jump on the latest controversy of a Disney account writing a tweet, so the cycle continues as normal.

In either case none of this comes off like a targeted campaign to weaponize wokeism or what the gently caress ever. Which, yeah, they are obviously doing the standard thing of saying "yay pride month" while also cutting out scenes of homosexuality in Asian countries, I'm not denying that they are doing the same token bullshit that every megacorp does. This all just seems extremely par for the course and the idea that they are making it look worse than it is to deflect from the show being kind of mediocre, I just don't think has any basis in reality, because they are barely lifting a finger in support of Moses Ingram, who herself has done way more to highlight the racist attacks than Disney fuckin has.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Or....what if the overwhelming majority of the bad reviews are......genuine!

I don't understand what we are arguing anymore. What is a genuine review? Just from a cursory glance a lot of the negative reviews are poo poo like this:

Are these genuine? How can one tell? Is the argument that people aren't doing this for racist reasons and that it's all manufactured? I can't really prove or disprove that, but I definitely can go on Twitter and find a lot of racist people very quickly and easily and see how a lot of the very basic "Disney ruined Star Wars" discourse overlaps with people complaining about wokeism and sjws also ruining Star Wars. All one has to do is search for Kathleen Kennedy on Youtube.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 21, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Perhaps an issue is that RT doesn't really leave any room for nuance since even "eh, mediocre but watchable" reviews are still counted as good a lot of the time. In our struggle to make everything as easily digestible as possible that tends to be the end result. Or maybe reviewers simply liked a movie where you didn't, it might be possible.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That DICK! posted:

You’re all arguing with a self acknowledged marketing executive. They’re just gonna keep doin words

Don't worry I'm definitely going to stop posting in this thread.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

teagone posted:

Right, I'm just suggesting the perks that Disney might have or has offered critics/media outlets could be a significant factor in how "well reviewed" a movie or whatever other Disney venture might be. Not saying Disney are the ONLY ones doing this either, just that maybe said perks they offer might be more valuable on a per critic/media outlet basis or whatever.

This is far more of a thing with influencers and youtubers rather than legitimate publications, at least these days. Also more to the point that they don't need to pay off professional reviewers when they've got non-professional fan communites with their own followers in the thousands who will gladly gush over any old slop so long as Disney sends them a custom Grogu figure or something.

I can't speak to their internal metrics but I'd bet that Disney doesn't actually care that much about Rotten Tomatoes outside of just being able to use good ratings for trailers.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 21, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I still don't know what the hell the point of Reva was.

She had it out for Obi-Wan in particular and it's never explained exactly why - I can guess that it is because he was Anakin's master maybe?

Then she had it out for Vader - and that is actually explained, but she fights him and just gets owned so what's next?

Well, going after Luke for some reason because she just wants to kill someone? To succeed at being an inquisitor when she failed at everything else? To kill a child that Obi-Wan has a connection to?

The problem here is that I have to guess at what the gently caress her motivations are because the show's writing is so all over the place - and honestly the simplest explanation is that she was just mad as hell and she didn't wanna take it anymore. And you understand why she is mad but not why she does any of the things that she does. Like, I don't need everything to be spelled out for me, but the whole arc was just so mystifying and unsatisfying and there was absolutely nothing to the character for 99% of the show than "extremely mad at Obi-Wan for some reason". I want to like the character but they just gave me nothing to latch onto whatsoever.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Liam Neeson being one of the big end reveals was so loving lame man. We all knew he was going to be in the show the moment it was announced. He's not hard to get. He showed up in The loving Orville for a 30 second cameo. And then he doesn't even say anything here besides "hey buddy". He should've been in the first episode and they could've ended on something actually cool like Kyle Katarn or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That did not seem clear to me, if she does.

She definitely does not know Leia is Vader's child??

Edit: I looked up the Jimmy Smits hologram and he says "if he's learned of the children" but that's a pretty loving tenuous connection idk

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 23, 2022