Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

For me it was definitely the art style and the way the trailers have been edited. Reading stuff in here and the Rebels thread turned me around but I wasn't really interested in Resistance at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Where do lines like "only a Sith deals in absolutes!" fall on that scale?

Aces High fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 25, 2018

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Abort mission. Mission a failure.

good work, Alpha One. Secondary mission objectives complete, the Emperor will be pleased

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

What is that show? It popped up on my recommended list (because it's Star Wars) but it looks to me like Paw Patrol with a Star Wars skin.

Anyone in here devouring it like all other SW content?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

Acknowledging those differences doesn't make you a misogynist, just someone who can recognise inconsistent and lovely writing (which is absolutely rife in the sequels, so it shouldn't be controversial that Rey's story is also garbage) where the protagonist has precisely as much power as they need to in service of moving the plot forward, rather than the plot being in service of her growth as a character.

this final point was something that bugged me ever since my first time watching TFA. I recall thinking that it was kind of boring watching the main person just naturally pick things up and immediately be able to go toe-to-toe against people who had been training for years. There isn't any tension in that. However, I think box office numbers have shown that the average person going to the movies isn't looking for tension, and that's fine. If for every sequel trilogy we get something like Andor, I'll take it

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

General Dog posted:

Sabine’s introductory scene is an odd one- she’s being a pain in the rear end to seemingly decent people who are trying to honor her and her friends after presumably agreeing to be a part of the ceremony, and all for no apparent reason. While I do think we’re meant to read her as being petulant here, the scene is framed as if she’s doing something cool (with the rock music, slow pan up to reveal all her punk signifiers, bike trick, pilots shaking their heads at what a maverick she is, etc.).

I get that this character (a near 30-year-old seasoned war veteran) is meant to have some growing to do over the course of this season, but I feel like we’re really getting off on the wrong foot with her here.

this was where episode 1 kind of lost me. Baylan's intro scene was really good and it worked really well with Ahsoka doing an Indiana Jones/The Mummy ruin exploration and fight against HKs was a good time. But Sabine's intro just felt really wrong for how we saw her at the end of Rebels. For everyone in here saying this is Rebels season 5, that's sort of the vibe I was expecting and Sabine was never this disrespectful to her friends at all throughout the original run, and that was while she was a teenager.

also, the Sabotage scene in 09 Star Trek was loving stupid then and it's still loving stupid 14 years later. Demonstrating that your main character is not a team player and has the privilege to just be a huge rear end in a top hat to everyone isn't endearing. At the start of the scene when they were preparing to introduce her, I was expecting they were going to cut to her setting up a bunch of paint bombs as a surprise for the ceremony, that would've been a better way to show her as being rebellious and thumbing her nose at authority, or whatever, plus that was her whole deal in Rebels. I was watching the show with my dad, who hadn't watched any of Rebels, and I was trying to find a way to explain that one of Sabine's big things was art and, specifically, graffiti but it never really came up. We see some lothcat doodles around but otherwise Sabine didn't do anything artsy and I don't think they explained that she painted the mural (at least, I thought that was what happened in the Rebels epilogue).

Episode 2 was better, Chopper was awesome and we better be seeing more of him if Hera's part of the gang. I was a little miffed that Ahsoka let the goofus inquisitor have his lightsaber back, I mean, in the move that she dodges it flying past her, she could've sliced the thing in half and he'd be stuck looking like the tool he is.

Overall I am enjoying this more than Obi-Wan, but there's a bunch of stupid poo poo that almost borders on character assassination to me so hopefully episode 3 is better

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

teagone posted:

I think there's more to unpack with Sabine in the gap of time we're unaware of that encompasses what happened between her and Ahsoka. She's clearly not in the proper headspace until the zeffo orb comes into play and gives her a newfound sense of urgency and motivation, so her going against Ahsoka's request to not take map and her ditching the stuffy higher ups on Lothal aligns with someone going through some poo poo imo.

I'm probably extra prickly because Sabine was my favourite in Rebels and thinking on it a little more, my main issue is how everything is framed after Ryder says to find her. Funny thing is that after that scene, everyone starts acting like you would expect from their collected history, Ryder is warm and approachable when telling her to hear Ahsoka out. It honestly feels like that speeder scene was one of the first things written, blocked, and shot, so it didn't get punched up like other scenes.

I dunno, it's tricky, one of my favourite versions of a scene like that is from Treasure Planet and likely because Jim's brashness ends with him getting arrested. The dialogue with Sabine and the pilot demonstrates that this isn't the first time she's done this, so it just makes them look incompetent and toothless. I was half-expecting the lead to disable her speeder with an ion blast or something, but then I think I just played way too much TIE Fighter growing up so I wonder why ion cannons aren't common on the majority of advanced craft :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

choreo seems to be a tricky needle to thread these days, you think back to the prequel trilogy and the OT and they had different philosophies for both and they stuck to them. I almost feel like the Kathleen Kennedy-level peeps took notice to RLM-esque takes about "oh, now we're back to highly choreographed fighting" and tried to make a bridge between the two.

that, or an insistence on having the actors do all of the choreo themselves and letting the shots linger long enough that you see the trained stunt people hit their marks and look like they're being attacked by air because the principal wasn't fast enough in their blocking. That, or maybe there isn't enough time for the principals to get trained or up to speed on the style the choreography calls for, I always remember that Mark Hamil spoke of how he took up kendo after ANH so that it would look like Luke actually did start learning how to do things properly.

One thing's for sure, you can do even a scene like Obi-Wan and Maul's final duel in live action. I wonder if that was sort of what they were trying to do in the scene where Sabine gets stabbed, but a step was missed and so she just freezes for a second, instead of getting knocked or distracted

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Rappaport posted:

I think I may have laughed out loud a little when Ahsoka just dodged the thing coming at her like it was no thang. She's definitely cool.

I still think it would've been cooler if she sliced it instead, woulda gone a long way to keep with the kind of "I'm letting you get away, but you're gonna have to come up with something better next time, junior" energy they're giving Ahsoka

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I liked that...I kinda feel that the episodes could be a little longer but I probably think that because I want a little more action. Then again, I agree with what someone said earlier that, while the action scenes we got this episode were good, they have been largely hit-or-miss. When Ahsoka and company are being attacked by the scram fighters in the last episode, they got hit a lot and it basically seemed to do zero damage. It took a lot of tension out of those scenes.

Happy to see Hayden in the flesh, and hopefully we get some nice content for him next episode

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Why put people in your MC 80 when you can just point them at a star destroyer?
What do you mean this applies to any surface ship in real life and we don't use them like that?

They only had those 3 hammerhead frigates in Rogue One, and those still got shredded once the Imperial ships recovered and focus-fired

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Does the Death Star have hyperdrive engines as well? I presume it does, because how else would it get to Yavin so quickly, but we don't get a cool scene of it speeding off like we do all the small craft and then the entire Rebel fleet in RotJ

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

That episode was worth it for showing that they CAN do proper prosthetics for Ahsoka. Flashback Ahsoka looked right out of TCW, same with Anakin. I was pretty annoyed when Ahsoka first appeared in Mando and she looked nothing like she had even in the epilogue scene for Rebels, but they slowly got better and better.

Now they have these flashbacks and I think "well why the gently caress couldn't you have done that 3 years ago? You're loving Disney, bankrupt the studio like Walt used to do for the animated movies!" oh and also, thank you for giving Hayden something to do. He owned his scenes and did a pretty convincing job emulating a cartoon emulating him, as others have said. The fight scenes were great. Honestly, the flashback stuff was the highlight of the episode, kind of a shame that the stuff outside was pretty droll in comparison. I agree with what others have said, the pacing for Hera and co was pretty lazy and boring. I can't say if it was a dialogue issue, a directing issue, but things just grinded to a drat halt until they were skimming the water.

Honestly, most of the standing around at the ruins could've been cut. Hera touches down and finds Huyang in a state (droids are allowed to be upset), and he explains what he thinks happened. Carson informs Hera that they're running out of time and need more than just "sweep this area again" and then Jacen does the "can't you hear the fighting?" bit with the water. Hera gives the order, the Ghost takes off and, honestly, just take Jacen with you. He's demonstrated he can "sense" so get him on the Ghost for the "get closer to the water" bit. You do that and you can trim a few minutes and lose nothing. Hell, you've just upped the urgency, and you don't have to cut anything with Ahsoka and Anakin.

I am not against slow burn stuff, but more often it falls into plodding in this show and then it's just boring. Considering that these episodes are tending to be around 30 minutes each, they're still getting a lot done with short runtimes. I dunno, I'm still enjoying the show, but the pacing is frustrating

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

site posted:

she failed during her first fight against vader...and she died during the collapse of the temple but ezra used the temple of time to save her later;

Ezra saving her established that as a closed loop. Ahsoka never died but she probably is haunted by the fact that her former master had her dead-to-rights and was delivering a killing blow

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

maybealabia posted:

Extra lightsabers for his impetuous Jedi commander and general

did Ahsoka lose her lightsaber as often as Anakin

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Servetus posted:

Have you ever looked at animated Hera? She has Pixar mom level booty. The butts are a similarity, not a difference.

yeah this is something else that's been on my mind and I didn't really know how to say it but MEW is a stick compared to animated Hera. That's not talking just about the butt either

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah he should go on a diet

Don't be mean to Uncle Iroh

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Did you know the guy who brought us The Swan Princess is STILL MAKING NEW ONES?! One came out earlier this year

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I think the scram fighters highlights that nobody learned anything from Attack of the Clones and how loving stupid the scene of Jango clowning on Obi-Wan's Starfighter was. Say what you will about RLM but they raised a great point that there is no tension when the antagonist keeps pummelling the protagonist and there is no damage or even any real panic. Plot Armour only gets you so far, and at a certain point you're going to lose your audience because they know that nothing will threaten the main characters.

Then again, that is something Star Wars has never been consistent with, unless it's a TIE.

Nice to see Ahsoka has life and a personality again, nice to see some more Hayden, cool seeing Ezra invoking Yoda's "my ally is the Force, and a powerful one it is". I can't be the only one who thought he was going to chirp Sabine about the boomerang seeing as it was his weapon of choice before he built a lightsaber. The hearing was loving stupid, seeing as it looks like the Fleet Captain that was briefed on everything that happened wasn't present to give testimony, or that C-3P0 was brought in to, effectively, remind us that Carrie Fisher's dead. That may be more that 3P0 has never been my favourite, so whenever he shows up I just roll my eyes and wait for him to leave. It's possible to do political intrigue, but everything involving the senators has been some of the most amateur poo poo ever. Star Wars isn't subtle when it comes to its politics, but there's a difference between a scene having a "hint-hint" bend to it and a scene where it feels like the writer is banging you over the head shouting "DO YOU GET IT?!"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Like she has literal plot armor being able to survive a shot to the back and and elbow to the face multiple times.

And like what is ezras’s deal? I’m a non cartoon watcher so I was led to believe he was this awesome Jedi but he’s kind of a dumbfuck? My guy you’re being surrounded by 20 goons pick up a loving weapon ffs.

this is actually something that they've done pretty well at. Sabine is wearing her beskar armour (she's always had very little compared to Boba, Djinn, even Bo Katan has more armour) and isn't necessarily "deflecting" the blaster hits. She's blocking and defending, because the whole point of the beskar is that blasters won't penetrate it, but because she has so little coverage, that means she has to do some Wonder Woman poo poo and block with her gauntlets because she left her helmet behind.

Ezra seems to have followed through on his arc from the end of Rebels, where he was moving away from violence and fighting (because fighting kept leading to people he cared about "dying") and looking for alternative ways to ending conflict. I think this is more another failure of choreo and staging, we could've seen him doing more wuxia stuff to show that he is so in touch with the Force now that, yeah, the Night Troopers know they won't really be able to defeat him, but causing a delay is good for them too.

Could these things be done better and look less amateurish? abso-loving-lutely, for all the complaints that Rebels was just "kiddy-poo poo" they still managed to make fight scenes and space battles look intense and have tension. After 7 episodes, Ahsoka has had a whole lot of flash but barely any real substance, especially evidenced by people now talking about how two of our main antagonists are blank slates with no real established...anything.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Considering that Superman originally didn't fly, I think it is fair to say that Jedi are already at that power level, or have been for decades.

Incidentally, I always thought the reason people shat themselves over the midichlorians was because it took away the ~mystique~ of the Force. By adding science to it, it's not magic anymore. Also, reinforcing that a lot of people want to keep Star Wars in a fantasy setting as opposed to sci-fi, but Star Wars has never been hard sci-fi

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

He also was the one responsible for dealing with other coup attempts against the Emperor.

Wait, poo poo, TIE Fighter isn't canon :smith:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

I like how Thtawn decides Zaarin's weakness is his reliance on superior technology and his answer to this is an even superior fighter craft that will later be referred to as the "God emperor of fighters"

I mean, it worked. The Missile Boat is a huge force multiplier and draws Zaarin in and waste resources to either destroy the prototypes or capture one, and since you and your wingman are basically Red Baron-levels of good, all it amounts to is spreading his resources thin.

Also, baiting Zaarin to use experimental technology to destroy himself instead of trapping him and having the Emperor deal with him is a great final "gently caress you" from Thrawn (though we know the Emperor is dead, because the debriefing officer straight up tells you the Battle of Endor is happening)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I think the problem is that if they were to show him doing that then the good guys would have to lose, something that every recent Star Wars thing (Andor excluded) seems unwilling to allow.

That was very underwhelming, it had the same overarching problem that most of the season had, no tension. These stories are pretty boring if we have no real reason to believe that the protagonists are ever in any real danger. Also, I don't care about any of this "democratizing of the Force" or whatever people are talking about, Sabine having Force powers is boring. It's especially boring if all you're going to set up as antagonists are faceless mooks that pose no threat to anyone. That, and Sabine's thing in Rebels was that she didn't need Force powers because she was a skilled fighter and, again, if the majority of your antagonists are just mooks, that's all you need to be a badass.

Honestly, I rolled my eyes at that bit because any hope I had of this season ending on a note of "well, hope Hera was able to galvanize the NR, because we failed" just disappeared.