Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Larryb posted:

Are those cartoons any good (same question in regards to the live action Ewok movies for that matter)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygr8wsqrhtI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I think Mas Amedda was also one of the few people who knew Palpatine was a Sith even before he became Emperor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Automatic Slim posted:

Did they learn nothing from the failure of the movies?
I think they decided the lesson was to plan things more thoroughly.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It would be weird to end it here after they very deliberately set up the plot hook with Bo-Katan and the Darksaber.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rewatching Clone Wars stuff to get up to the seasons I haven't really seen and between the ending of the Ziro arc being a bit anticlimactic, the Nightsisisters coming up with a stupidly convoluted plan to kill Dooku, the resurrection of Maul, and the Mortis arc I think I've worked out why I stopped watching around the end of S3.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

If they are going to use a Hutt in live action then the best choice is Master Shake Grabulla.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I know the S5 premiere was deliberately aired out of chronological order since they wanted to start the season with a bang.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Fallen Order is a few years before Solo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah the movie isn't great but if you are watching the show you'll see worse stuff.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Barely getting into this clone wars show. Should I watch in chronological order that all these websites have?

Mostly it amounts to a minor character will appear to come back from the dead, or seeing the leadup to a battle that has already been resolved.

I'd skip the S1 finale until later though. It's the middle part of a story that doesn't wrap up until S3 and S2 starts with Cad Bane pulling a different, unrelated scheme.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Some of them got shuffled around for the usual kind of reasons, like putting some attention-grabbing as a season premiere.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Larryb posted:

Did the random episode order last the entire series or did they eventually decide to give it up?

The last season is out of chronological order (the Bad Batch arc should be second).

But aside from a handful of exceptions it stops after mid-S3.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

The last season doesn't really matter too much TBH. You can switch the first two arcs around either way just fine, and then end it on the Siege.

Yeah. Same goes for a lot of earlier stuff too.

Just funny that it happened.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mando started filming around when Resistance started airing.

Larryb posted:

It’s great to finally have David Filoni back again. Out of curiosity, why wasn’t he involved with Resistance?

in mid 2018 Filoni posted:

Resistance is a bit different, in that I'm not on that day-to-day. I created and set it in motion, but I've given that to other people to raise up, people that I've worked with a long time, who I think deserve the opportunity to tell stories and I think it's exciting, and I give them my thoughts and notes – I was just doing that this morning, like George would give me. So that's fun.

Plus yeah, he had Mandalorian and the Clone Wars revival to work on.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The novelisation of Star Wars was based on an earlier script and so has more of Luke on Tatooine, Jabba, a longer Death Star assault and Luke's squadron being Blue and not Red.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

In Disney canon Thrawn is concerned about the Grysk.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bismuth posted:

I figured the reason the art thing made Thrawn smarter at this stuff was that to understand art you actually have to study cultural context and stuff so he was smarter just because he'd actually read a book that wasnt written and provided by the empire telling you how to be an imperial meat-robot. He was curious, observant, and able to look at things from different perspectives, which seems beyond most imperial characters.
Yeah that's pretty much how Rebels handles it, especially in his scene with Hera and Slavin on Rhyloth.

It's also clear that he genuinely likes art but also treats works as trophies.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 18, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cage Kicker posted:

I mean they don't go around saying gently caress NON HUMANS but have you ever seen a non-human Imperial besides Thrawn?

Mas Amedda?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dave Syndrome posted:

Timeline-wise, Rebels follows after Clone Wars, so you're safe watching Rebels afterwards. As far as I remember, Ahsoka is the only character (apart from movie characters like Maul, Tarkin, Vader etc.) that crosses over.

Rebels lets you know that a bunch of characters survive Clone Wars but pretty much all of those you probably know or could guess.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Larryb posted:

Is the new Lego Star Wars game (the one covering all 9 movies) still going to happen though? And if so, do we have a release date yet besides sometime next year?

Still happening, still with an unknown and delayed release date.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Larryb posted:

Do we know if this one’s going to have voice acting like TFA did or will it be more in line with the other Lego Star Wars games?

Also did they completely remake everything from scratch or will the TPM through TFA segments just be ports of the previous releases?

Speaking of Lego Star Wars, are the cartoons any good?

Voice acting, levels are all new and in an open world kinda format apparently.

I've only seen Freemaker Adventures, and it was very much aimed at young kids. There is fun stuff for adults (Master Shake as a Hutt is a great idea) but they aren't like Clone Wars or Rebels.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It felt worse with Lando, since a bunch of his dialogue seems to be about how he's better than Poe and he's the one who does all the hard work (off-screen) of actually saving the day.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 31, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah there's a reason that Mon Cal is called Quarrie.

A lot of Rebels is a love-letter to the design process behind the OT, though I don't think it always lands (like with the thin lightsabers).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I like the Clone Wars style, especially with the way they swept out large blocks of colour.

hannibal posted:

The other thing I love about Rebels is that the space battle scenes give me really strong X-Wing vibes (the games). (which really captured the style of the OT really well)

The ease with which they kill capital ships irrationally bugs me and it's entirely from playing a lot of X-Wing and West End PnP.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Idk if there was any intermediate class of ship that was in canon at the time for that though. Basically the ships went from single-person fighters, ships big enough for a small crew, cargo ships (when including cargo space), then Star Destroyers of various sizes.

Rebels does a really good job of having a bunch of things between fighters and Star Destroyers.

They all die really easily but there's a great variety in how big they are before they blow up.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 2, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Arquitens and Gozanti got used a fair bit in Rebels (and the Gozanti in Clonw Wars), plus there were the smaller Interdictors, that pyramidal cargo ship, and the Light Carrier.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Chimera having a giant bit of imposing artwork on the bottom is a great choice.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Palatine is only in a handful of episodes of Rebels too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sekhmnet posted:

That episode might be my favorite taste of starwars produced so far. Did Anakin ever fight maul?

The original plan for the S2 finale involved a fight between the two.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Maul's brief appearance in Solo is the only time he's been seen between TCW and Rebels, even counting all the EU stuff. Wouldn't surprise me if he's been reserved for something.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Larryb posted:

I forget, does Maul die in Rebels or is he technically still alive somewhere? If the latter, has he appeared in any post Rebels EU content?

He's as dead as he was in 2000.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jar Jar turns up a handful of times after S1.

Larryb posted:

Also out of curiosity, did anyone from the movies come back to reprise their roles for Clone Wars besides Ahmed Best and Tony Daniels (who I don’t think has ever NOT played 3PO in any Star Wars related media appearances)? I know Rebels had a few at least.

Ray Park does some mocap stuff for Maul. Liam Neeson and Pernilla August (Shmi) are in the Mortis stories.

Mark Hamill is also in the series, just not as Luke.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sounds like a flashback given the stated age.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Larryb posted:

I haven’t gotten around to watching it yet but I don’t care about spoilers either. So out of curiosity, who’d our mystery character wind up being?

Cad Bane.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Supposedly after Rebels the Empire thinks that the Jedi are all gone and the (few remaining) Inquisitors aren't seen any more.

But it feels like the kind of thing that could be easily changed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Two Inquisitors (3 and 4) are complete mysteries and at least one other doesn't have a clear canon fate. Easy to imagine them all dead by ANH though.

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, was anyone else in the Empire’s employ besides Vader and maybe his personal guard even aware that Palpatine was a Sith himself?
Based on a bunch of stuff in TCW and RotS I'm pretty sure Mas Amedda knew.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Every time I see some poor actor in a big complex suit of armor all I can think about is how much of a pain in the rear end it must be to do simple poo poo between takes, like just sitting and eating.

Apparently Sylvie's costume in Loki was specifically designed to allow her to breast feed without having to take the whole thing off.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anita Dickinme posted:

If there’s any game other than KotOR that deserves a remaster it’s Republic Commando.

e: Apparently there is. :v: Now we just need KotOR

Aspyr is working on one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I watched some more Clone Wars S6

The Clovis / Banking arc was good. Though the show is pretty consistently good at this point I wasn't expecting much and it was a pleasant surprise. It felt like someone heard the complaints about politics in the prequels and decided to write a story about a fight over the banks as a challenge. The story is very clearly getting close to Episode 3 and while it's not as overt as Ahsoka leaving or Order 66 being discovered, between the Republic gaining a huge victory and Anakin's rage and jealousy being prominent it's clear that we're in the home stretch.

The Jar-Jar / Mace arc sucks. People will tell you "this is the one where Jar Jar is good" and nope, he still sucks. Aside from hating Jar-Jar (and not really liking Mace) I don't like it when the show diverges much from the way the movies present the Force. It's part of why I didn't like the Mortis arc, and part of why I hated most of the Nightsisters stuff, and it's fully on display here. The Indiana Jones stuff was cute I guess.

Given I know the next arc has elements of both I'm really curious to see how I find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I really haven't liked Maul much in Clone Wars, which surprised me since his stuff in Rebels was great (especially his first appearance).