Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Re: The OP...

thrawn527 posted:

Star Wars: Rebels
Rebels ran for 4 seasons on DisneyXD. It was set during the height of the Empire, at least a decade before the events of A New Hope, and told the story of a small Rebel cell, initially trying to keep the Empire out of their home planet, before being pulled into the larger galactic conflict. The general consensus seems to be that the animation and story started a bit rough, but didn't take long to get better.

Rebels started at most four to five years before A New Hope.

Otherwise, great OP! :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Can't happen, since Rebels!Maul is explicitly unaware of where Obi-Wan is until shortly before Rogue One/ANH and needs a vision brought on by merging holocrons to get a hint of his location, then spends a fair while combing the planet looking for him before eventually calling in Ezra to be his pointer

A live-action version of the episode from Obi-Wan's perspective with Taylor Gray being a live-action Ezra would be interesting

Eh, all it requires is for Obi-Wan to leave Tatooine every now and again. I mean, heck, they're doing a show about the guy...it can't all be him hanging out in a hut, scaring Tuskans, and stalking young Luke. :shrug:

Indeed, Obi-Wan leaving Tatooine for some important covert mission and running into Maul makes sense vis a vis Rebels because Maul's out to get the guy but really has no reason to believe Kenobi survived Order 66. But if Kenobi showed up, hosed up Maul's operation, then vanished into the dark again, that could lead to an increasingly obsessed Maul leaving the crime lord life behind in order to track Kenobi down, leading to his appearances and death in Rebels.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 24, 2019

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Heh, :ninja: rules the night!

Teek posted:

Yeah, there’s been talk that Obi-wan may not have stayed on Tatooine the whole time. Lucas himself was asked that and said it was possible. Meaning he could have ran into Maul during whatever task took him off planet.

Exactly this. I'm pretty sure anything you can find that states that Obi-wan never left Tattooine after Revenge of the Sith is all Legends now. There hasn't been anything post-Disney that talks about how Ben spent the years between RotS and ANH, so for all we know he booked it off Tattooine right after he handed off baby Luke, had years of hidden space adventures, and got back on world a week before Maul showed up in Rebels. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I said it in the agents of shield thread, but Ming-Na as adult live action Sabine is a dream cast. Though it depends on the time frame.

Seems like it's around the same time as Alphabet Squadron, right after Endor and Jakku, but before the New Republic really gets going. So, maybe five to ten years after Yavin on the outside, which would make Sabine somewhere from 26 to 31? Maaaaaybe, but seems a bit of a stretch, frankly. But who knows? :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s not MandalorianChat, but last night a couple friends made me watch the first Ewoks TV movie and... I didn’t hate it? It’s definitely dumb as poo poo and has barely any production value and the human characters are just the worst, but it was oddly charming and we had a good laugh at its expense.

Well, then you'll really enjoy the second Ewok TV movie.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I've seen that one before, but it's still good.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

All of this. Other than looking cool, I never understood his popularity.

That was his popularity. He looks cool, he doesn't say much, and especially in that time between Empire, where he's the one to outsmart Han and be the only bad guy to accomplish his mission, and Jedi where he dies like a chump, there was a time when everyone's imagination about what Boba Fett could do went wild.

The "No disintegrations" line helped him too, since it implied a long history working for Vader.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

If I wanted to start reading Doctor Aphra's stuff, would I need to read the Darth Vader run or could I start with her solo?

Personally, I liked the way she leaves the Vader series quite a bit.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

He's more John McClane than John Wayne

Early John McClane, not the invincible badass John McClane of the later films at that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

site posted:

idgi how is getting beaten up a lot yet still winning against insurmountable odds not badass

It is badass, it's just not invincible hero badass. It's actually much more interesting and compelling BECAUSE he's not invincible.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

site posted:

great ep, as usual. all the directors have been knocking it out of the park. loved the stalking the crew part at the end. and the filoni cameo lol

how many eps are left?

Looks like an 8 episode season, so two left.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

PantsOptional posted:

RoS is 57 years after the start of the Clone Wars. She'd be 71 if she was still alive.

Not that we know exactly how fast Togruta age. She could be long dead of old age if they age very quickly, though adventure related death seems most likely.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Jerkface posted:

In one of the episodes Hux demands they capture all these specific platforms because they are mobile space station \ refueling depot. Its to help them conquer the galaxy i guess.

I think that was part of the lead up to TLJ. Between that and stuff in the Po Dameron comic explained why the Resistance ran out of gas in the move....the First Order was strangling the Resistance fuel sources.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Tarkin being the gung ho LET'S KILL THE TEENAGER prosecutor in Ahsoka's trial does make Vader's stable working relationship with him by a New Hope kind of odd, yeah.

Could just be that Anakin is just so loving angry at everyone by that point that he just doesn't have time to force choke Tarkin.

I mean by the time we see them working together in Ep IV, Vader's already massacred a bunch of children, and (thinks) he killed Ahsoka herself. He's pretty much way past the line himself at that point. :shrug:

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 23, 2020

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I thought Lekku was just a twi’lek thing. Or is that the generic term for any Star Wars alien’s weird head-tail things?

It's the latter, or has been since non-Twl'lek head-tail races started showing up.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

And instead of maintaining and expanding that fleet the Empire poured a significant part of its budget into a giant battlestation built around a planet-killer weapon.

And then, after it blew up having only managed to destroy one city, one Imperial base, and one planet, they did it AGAIN (but BIGGER this time!) and lost that one before it managed to do more than kill a couple of star cruisers. And that doesn't even get into the silliness of the sequel planet killer weapons. :doh:

howe_sam posted:

I want Space Raylan so bad.

Man, I really did enjoy Justified.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

I don't think I liked Rogue One as much as a lot of people, but I'll admit its highs were pretty high.
I really think Mads was wasted in it though.

I enjoyed a lot of Rogue One, but there were some odd choices.

Like in the beginning of the movie we're introduced to Saw and his crew, then they all die, then later we get a bunch of rando rebels to fill out the strike team and then THEY all die. Even if you had to have Saw die in the first half of the film, wouldn't it have made more sense to have Jyn and company rescue the rest of Saw's crew and have it be them who go along to attack Scarif? By having them around for the whole movie, especially if you give some of them lines and personalities, maybe let them mourn Saw with Jyn, then maybe we care at all when they die.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

OhFunny posted:

Grand General Tagge was smart enough to know this.

Even Super Star Destroyers are arguably too big. Imperial class Star Destroyers are actually about perfect, because they're so versatile. Each one has fighters to control a wide area of space, ground troops (including AT-ATs and AT-STs for armored support) to hold critical targets on the ground, devastating orbital bombardment capabilities for when the ground troops aren't enough, and are dangerous combatants in space combat on their own.

A Death Star's weight in regular Star Destroyers would have been much more useful than either Death Star turned out to be.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

I've been watching Rebels and am on season 4 and I have a question: do Ezra or Kanan ever kill anyone with their lightsabers? They do a whole lot of reflecting blaster bolts and cutting guns in half but I just noticed it recently and now it's bothering me.

Yes, but it's fairly rare. There's a couple of Kill Count videos, but they are pretty spoilery for stuff you haven't seen yet. Google them at your own risk.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Given the western vibes of The Mandalorian, Rangers of the New Republic probably references Texas Rangers in the same way that The Mandalorian references classic bounty hunter shows and movies. So yeah, it'll be about a squad of western space cops going around to isolated villages planets and taking out the biggest local problem (some bandits one episode, a wanted horse starship thief the next, maybe even a murderous space rancher and his thugs the one after that) then moving on to the next planet. Re-doing classic western stories with spaceships and blasters....just like The Mandalorian.

Moose King posted:

https://twitter.com/YesYoureRacist/status/1335273706885681155

I felt the same way until I read that thread.

Rangers is one of the new Filoni/Favreau shows, and they seem to show in Mando that they really understand what a lot of Star Wars is saying politically (the failure of liberalism and its repeated inability to stop the rise of fascism). Given that this is the team whose current series is showing New Republic prisoners being given draconian sentences for minor offenses and clearly laying out the evil of facism's deceptive appeal to regular people's desire for order and security at the cost of freedom, I'm not too worried about them suddenly putting out a status quo worshipping liberal bootlicking cop show.

I dunno if I'd call hijacking a Republic prison ship, destruction of several expensive droids, the escape of a Republic prisoner, oh and murder of a Republic officer "minor offenses" though. Plus we don't know anything of Mayfield's Imperial record besides that it probably ended with the loss of his division at Burnin Konn. He could have that sentence for numerous war crimes for all we know.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

jivjov posted:

And yet, none of that excuses using prisoners as slave labor.

Didn't say that it did, but calling murder a "minor offense" needs to disputed. :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Larryb posted:

Are those cartoons any good (same question in regards to the live action Ewok movies for that matter)?

I know people who loved them, especially Droids, but they never did much for me. Likewise the Ewoks movies were live action kid-friendly affairs that were okay when I was 10 and much less so the older I got, although the second one did massacre most of the first movie's cast in the first five minutes, so at least it had that going for it. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Larryb posted:

I think I saw one of the Ewok movies once when I was a kid but I don’t really remember much about it aside from two kids crash landing on the planet and somebody getting stuck inside a lake at one point.

How many of those movies did they make?

Just the two. Caravans of Courage: An Ewok Story and Ewoks: Battle for Endor.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Automatic Slim posted:

That sounds like taking what made Mandalorian successful and running it into the ground.
Most of these new shows look like they're taking somewhat popular spinoffs and doing more of the same but live action.
Did they learn nothing from the failure of the movies?

I think they learned that even the one that everyone hated, Rise of Skywalker, made over a billion dollars internationally. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

That’s not true! THAT’S IMPOSSIBLE! :gonk:

Hell, I dunno about you, but I'm more than ready to put 2020 in the rearview mirror.

Moon Slayer posted:

Knives Out is really good.

True dat. Most enjoyable mystery movie I've seen in years.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Wait wasn't Bib Fortuna vaporized on the Sail Barge when it exploded? I know at this point death has become a minor inconvenience to Star Wars but it was kinda jarring for the show to be like "Bib Fortuna's back baby!" and then kill him again in the span of five seconds with no comment. Hell what did Fett even have against him?

I figure he watched Jabba get strangled and said "gently caress THIS" and jumped overboard before the barge blew up.

If you like (and I do) you can concoct a whole arc with him struggling to survive in the desert, making his way out reforged to have the courage and will to take Jabba's place, waging a war to become the heir, killing former friends and allies along the way, and becoming more of a monster until he finally reaches the peak and allows himself to become a mock Hutt in all but name, and just as he's finally reached something like satisfaction, Fett comes in and dethrones him with one shot not out of malice, but to send a message to all the other crimelords that Boba's in town and he's not taking any of your poo poo. Probably has a scene in the novelization where as he's flopping onto the ground in front of the throne with a hole in his chest, he looks up into the eyes of his former slave girl and sees only hatred and realizes he'd been given a precious second chance to do better, to do more with his life, but he squandered it on more murder and crime. And then he dies.

If they still did the "Tales of Whatever" short story collections, I guarantee one just like that would be in "Tales of Boba's Palace".

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Presumably that's why she freed the Twi'lek slave girl. She's clearing out the competition.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Doronin posted:

After Wanda destroyed the mind stone, Thanos reversed time with the time stone just to bring Vision back to rip the stone out of his head. And then Vision was dead-dead, presumably.

Especially since Thanos then destroyed all the Infinity Stones, making it impossible to re-activate Vision by reinserting the Mind Stone.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Hawkeye is filming right now. There's been leaked set photos and everything. It should be out before the end of the year, if they're able to get as quick a turnaround as they have for the two Mando seasons. And since it should have way less special effects eating up post production time, I don't see why they can't unless the reason is COVID. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Larryb posted:

In fact, I don’t think we’ve even SEEN Crosshair since the premiere as far as I remember. Hopefully he’ll pop up again before too much longer though.

He was in Episode 3 "Replacements" where he led the new non-clone stormtroopers on the mission against Guerra's people.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It would also explain why the Kaminoans are still keeping so many adult clones on their planet. If the Empire decides that the Kaminoans are surplus to requirements, they have their own well trained, battle hardened army right at hand.

Of course, I'm assuming there's a way to turn Order 66's "kill all jedi and obey the empire" into Order 67 "protect the Kaminoans and gently caress the Empire".

According to the Revenge of the Sith novelization there's like 150 contingency orders programmed on the chip, including Order 65 where the clones depose the Supreme Chancellor. It's not a big stretch to think that Order 150 is "defend Kamino at all costs."

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

BooDooBoo posted:

Do they cover if chips control the Clones minds with all orders? Seeing Wrecker go full-on YAY THE EMPIRE! is a pretty big change in personality, is it only order 66 that does that?

Order 65: Kill Palpatine (and become a low-level functionary)
Order 66: Kill the Jedi (And become a kill-crazy fascist)
Order 67: Kill everyone except Palpatine and the Jedi (and form a band that travels around and solves mysteries)?

They don't really say, and I think the "it also radically alters your personality" aspect is new to the end of TCW and Bad Batch. That said, I suspect that once the chip is activated, regardless of which order it is, puts the clones in question into "good soldiers obey orders" mode until it's rescinded.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I dunno, not respecting the Force makes sense for what he experienced. Yeah, the Jedi could do a lot of cool poo poo, but in the end they stepped out of line and a bunch of clones with guns killed them all.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Sentinel Red posted:

It's strange, animated stuff rarely appeals to me (never watched any of the previous SW series) but despite very little ever really happening in this show, I keep tuning in week after week and have become terribly fond of the gang anyway. Plus I guess I just dig the whole small scale adventures during the awful Empire consolidation period thing, and seeing cool clone dudes like that Howzer guy last week. I dread to think what's going to happen to all those guys by the time it's all over.

One silly nerd question: other that To Sell Toys, why do the Dads keep on in their unique and distinctive armour? Wouldn't they - well, Wrickah! excepted - have an easier time keeping unnoticed dressed as regular clone troopers?

Pretty sure their armor is customized to their specialties. Tech seems to have better communications gear, Hunter has that tracking gear we see him use in the cave monster episode, Wrecker's is probably reinforced to survive all the damage he does to it, Crosshair had better targeting, and of course Echo can only use his custom gear because of the cybernetics.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Its Rinaldo posted:

But Wrecker didn't know they weren't clones when he unloaded on their evac :confused:

Wrecker's a lot less sympathetic than the rest of the Batch when they're shooting live rounds at him.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

tribbledirigible posted:

It feels like he's being set up for a Zuko-style arc. His frame for identity has been shaken and while he says that's what he wants, this event is what starts him off on finding out what he is on his own.

It'd be great if that were subverted, and he just chooses to be a bad guy with or without Imperial connections. But this is a kid's show and if it worked once, well, here's to hoping they can pull it off again.

See, I dunno what could possibly sway Crosshair at this point. Under the Empire he's massacred civilians, hunted his own brothers, and seen the Empire destroy his home city WHILE HE WAS STILL ON IT. I'm not sure what else the Empire could do, short of declare that "all clones are now expendable and must die" that could move him off of "Go Empire!"

Mind you, that last one might actually happen.... :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Crosshair’s already got abandonment issues and the Empire is developing at least two kinds of replacements for clones, so the trigger for him seems obvious.

I mean they abandoned him on a city that they blew up and he's still onside...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Veotax posted:

gently caress that looks so good, I can't wait!
22nd September? I guessing What If? finishes the week before or something. Doubt Disney wants them overlapping.

Exactly right. What If is six episodes as I understand it, which would put episode six on September 15th. Nope, it's nine episodes, I had that wrong.

I'm amused that someone went through the old sourcebooks and found the Kushiban (little rabbit people) and said yeah, let's make that a Jedi Samurai. I'm down for it.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 17, 2021

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What If? is 9 I think.

I looked it up, and you're right, it is nine. It was going to be ten, but COVID delayed episode ten's production so much that they moved it into season two. So it will overlap for three weeks with Visions, but I guess we shouldn't be that surprised since Loki and Bad Batch overlapped as well.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Could be a reference to Usagi Yojimbo

It could be both! Kushiban are an existing EU Star Wars race and they do look like what we see in the trailer, but Usagi also exists and Rabbit Samurai is pretty much defined by him so it's hard to think they weren't influenced by that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Sekhmnet posted:

One aspect of the 'new cannon' that I dislike are the capitol ships apparently having enough energy to power serious anti-grav engines so they can hover or park in the air above a city. It makes for impressive visuals, but its almost as stupid as having the same space based capitol ships being built and/or stored under oceans for the reason that J. J. Abrams thinks a fleet of star destroyers emerging from the ocean looks cool but makes no sense.

It ain't a Disney thing, though. Attack of the Clones ends with landed Acclimator class ships being loaded with clones, and in Revenge of the Sith we see Obi-Wan board a landed Venator. Not to mention those Trade Federation Lucrehulk cores launching from Geonosis to re-attach to the rest of the ship in orbit. George set the precedent for it in the prequels, the Disney guys are just following it. Star Wars repulsorlift tech is mighty strong, apparently. :shrug: