Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

site posted:

i wish star wars was like marvel in that the mcu actually has a coherent plan from one movie to the next

I enjoy all three of the new trilogy okay, but half the onscreen action being a proxy fight between directors does them no favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

mllaneza posted:

Filoni needs to lay off the bringing characters back from the dead schtick before he screws one up. He hasn't yet, and Crime Queen Fennec is just more proof, but he's going to blow one if he keeps it up.

I mean, that one was pretty telegraphed. Casting a fairly big-name actor with an elaborate distinctive costume design, a big in-universe reputation, given a sudden undignified death on her first appearance and then the "corpse" walked up on by someone mysterious at the credits?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

galenanorth posted:

It felt like Anakin was so angry the entire Attack of the Clones movie that it's like most of his character development in the entire trilogy happened between the first two movies. He's 100% "Obi-Wan doesn't think I'm ready, but I'll show him!!!" besides the scenes on Tattooine and the love scenes with Padme. His descent being like someone who is fine most of the time, but who struggles and increasingly slips into something like alcoholism, makes more sense. The opening chase and the Obi-Wan/Kamino scenes were the best parts of that movie

The prequel trilogy works better when you realize Anakin's story is not about a good man and virtuous Jedi who falls to the dark side. He is a troubled boy brought into the Jedi order despite Yoda's warnings. Then he grows up into an angry young man who is unable to defeat his demons or overcome grief; instead he is taught how to turn that anger into a great force of destruction.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

jivjov posted:

We got an entire trilogy of Luke being one of the lead protagonists. The ST needed to not focus so much on those characters and instead give the new generation the focus.

I totally agree with this but also think it could use an addendum.

quote:

We got two entire trilogies of Palpatine being the real protagonist. The ST needed to keep him in the loving ground and instead give his legacy the focus.

I mean, it's particularly sad that being a long-con plot by Palpatine gave the First Order more character than it got in the first two movies. It was just there because hey you have to have stormtroopers and Star Destroyers, right?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Larryb posted:

To be fair, how do we know he wasn’t (as someone else said he’s basically HK-47: Astromech Edition)? That’s why I love the little bastard:

I like how this episode helped set up the crushing of his youthful optimism and transformation into the murderdroid we know and love.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's worse with Clone Troopers, since they're all CT-####, so there's an upper limit of 11,000 when they're ordered in batches of millions. And there's multiple scenes of somebody just putting in a Clone's 4 digit number into a database and getting all that clone's information with no need for extra address information.

When you put it that way, now it's just a 555 number to me.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Tattooine Rhapsody was great, I don't know why people find it so lacking anyway. I mean sure I'd like a longer treatment of it, but it's hard to get more self-contained and self-explanatory than music loving dude takes in people with nowhere to go to, puts the band of his dreams together, then they rescue him when his mob family tries to execute him for desertion. It was accessible, upbeat, and about people wanting to find fame and adventure in a big galaxy.

Also the :whitewater: of

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Sash! posted:

Hell, look at Star Trek. Everyone loves watching Ricardo Montalban's pecs devour scenery and declare it to be the best Star Trek movie.

It is definitely not GENE'S VISION (TM).

I understand that before they pulled him from Star Trek 2 planning, Roddenberry planned to make a plot where Klingons go back in time to prevent the JFK assassination and the crew of the Enterprise have to stop them.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

PantsOptional posted:

Naw, go full-on and just have him play Machete, no explanation. If it’s really necessary he can have some Star Wars name tacked on or something. Machete Antilles.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
It all started when Ross, the largest Friend, simply ate the other five.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I'm just bummed Boba never called himself a "legitimate businessman" in a cliche Mafia accent, since then we'd have people really angry that we have a series about Boba Fett reinventing himself as an ordinary small business owner instead a cool crime lord or something.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Owlbear Camus posted:

gold leader was just straight up Dutch.

not even a coded stand in just a Dutch guy named Vander

that's kind of weird

He was a former stormtrooper though.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

ccubed posted:

Ep 3 of Boba was hilarious. This was 100% a 13 year old DM's mid to late 80's adventure for their buddies. So many mini-quests. The cyberpunk cyborg street gangers on colorful vespas. The incredibly low speed chase. The sensitive rancor bonding on Boba like a baby duckling. Emotionally complex creatures who can become very loving. So many laugh out loud moments.

But I will say that Ming-Na Wen should be in charge, not Boba.

I was just thinking of

But really "tabletop RPG adventure" is a great mode for a Star Wars TV show, I won't complain.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Farm Frenzy posted:

they should look like science fiction rich kids and not 2022 rich kids. I am not interested in the mos espa hype house. this show needs to fully commit to how stupid it obviously wants to look

The ones with mishmashed multicultural Star Wars clothing styles and flashy cyborg parts? I haven't been out to many upclass bars since the pandemic hit, but what do rich kids look like in 2022?

I mean, they could have included some aliens or something, but the only things that made them look less sci-fi than the other humans around was them not wearing headgear.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Neon Knight posted:

Speaking of Jizz. Having just learned about mod culture, does this gang love Jizz? Or is Jizz too mainstream in this universe? Either way, Boba needs to recruit a house band next episode to keep the crews morale up after sparing the teddy bear that tossed them around,

They liked Jizz before it was cool.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
My biggest memory of the prequel era was when a bunch of toxic nerds realized seeing new Star Wars didn't literally turn back the clock and make them kids again, concluded that the problem must be that these were kids movies while original Star Wars was serious science fiction for grownups, and then slowly convince themselves RotJ was a bad movie just to piece together the new theory in their head.

Though the best knot of Star Wars fandom I saw today was someone complain that BoB violated years of Star Wars worldbuilding by having zippers, then someone else pointed out that ESB had zippers.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Captain Splendid posted:

You fool! I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Chef Dooku!

Fixed that for you

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Cross-Section posted:

This show would be so much more interesting if they even just teased a relationship between them

It's just subtly different than a romantic one.

https://twitter.com/_thememerman_/status/1483744877569531905

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Lister posted:

Also had to just laugh at the stealth droid sneaking in to map the place with bright red LEDs all over it.

A lot of robots need glowy eyes to see. Don't shame them.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I don't see the lie here.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

eke out posted:

i love these hairless bulldogs

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Hazo posted:

Rancor has to show up, it's been pushed to the background for too long.

I feel like there's an awful lot to tie up in a single finale episode but maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.

:same: As soon as I saw the hat I started saying out loud "there's no loving way they're bringing in Cad loving Bane" and got more and more excited as it became more clear.

Everyone watching:

They nailed the look though.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Xelkelvos posted:

I hope they have a way to have less Luke or figure out a better workaround because the audio isn't well synced up with the deepfake and ends up looking like bad ADR

Smaller Luke confirmed.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Just Chamber posted:

Yea I expected Din to question that a lot more and really challenge the whole Jedi idea about letting go of attachments considering he's all about the Mando way being the best with its focus on loyalty and bond to those close to you. Once he's told Grogu has to forgo all of that for his whole life I'd figure he'd be like nope I'm getting him the gently caress outta this mad cult.

Yes and no? I mean, he's deep into the mindset of being in tight with "your people" and maintaining strict cultural restrictions that separate you from everyone else in the galaxy,. The Way he follows is one where even a slight departure makes you an outcast. Where you will never in your life be able to enjoy a meal with outsiders, for example, no matter how much you consider them friends. The level of arbitrary cultish bullshit he's willing to put up with is very high and it doesn't even have the "Trying to keep power from turning kids into monsters out of material attachments" justification.

I mean, he was confused by the specifics of the Jedi way, but it felt specifically more at how they'd forgo attachments even within the order.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Barry Foster posted:

Honestly I find the original better. I've not watched much Clone Wars and have no real attachment to the character, but I find the pale, scrunched up, hosed-up monster-looking original version a lot creepier and more threatening (maybe because of the more human proportions?)

Adjusted looks like a Star Wars Alien. Original looks like fuckin' Pazuzu

I mostly agree on that. The quick and dirty "move the mouth lower to match the rubber-suit Duros we've seen in live action" was good, but matching him up to cartoon proportions and palette is both unnecessary and less menacing.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Darko posted:

Yeah, and Rebels purposely gave them a bunch of gimmicks that would make them a little more formidable than the average Padawan. They weren't that good with sabers, so they had Grevious nonsense going on where the sabers spin. Or one had a bunch of modified Imperial droids helping her out, etc. By the end of the show, Ezra would have no problem taking the average one out - they sucked.

The show and Fallen Order showed that Sheev and Vader were taking padawans and crap Jedi and manipulating them into being inquisitors. They killed anyone who was actually good to not have any threats.

One of the keys of maintaining a successful dictatorship is making sure no one really has the power and interest to take you down. Dictatorship by space wizard implies ensuring that other space wizards are limited either in power or ambition.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

my cat is norris posted:

it is very possible to describe something as "anime as gently caress" and to know exactly what that means, however

usually it's animated media that's loaded with mainstream anime tropes, and those tropes are extremely recognizable

It's like calling something "Hollywood." It's not a genre in the tediously literal sense that superheroes or high fantasy are but it's something with a clear meaning, and a story can be more or less" Hollywood" regardless of where it was literally produced.

Though "It's only anime/Hollywood if I don't like it" is definitely a thing too.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

LividLiquid posted:

Okay, again, I really can't stress this enough:

I am not, nor did I ever say that literally anybody wearing a space nazi uniform is a nazi.

I said it is scary having to ask myself if they're the kind of people who can't wear their actual nazi poo poo in public, so they wear space nazi poo poo, which is entirely acceptable.

I don't think it shouldn't be made, I don't think it shouldn't be sold, and I don't think people shouldn't wear it. I never said any of that. The dozen or so posts all "hey, not ALL space nazis" really missed the point being made.

I think Disney shouldn't make the space nazis awesome, badass, or relatable.

I feel for you there. Plenty of cool good people cosplay Stormtroopers, love video games where they get to play TIE fighters, and generally enjoy fictional bad guys without actually excusing them, partly since the fantasy nature of the setting distances it from real-world consequences. On the other hand ironic-not-ironic "When you think about it, the Empire is a legitimate government fighting a terrorist insurgency" takes got big with a pretty bad crowd, and it's hardly rare for people to identify with fictional villains and bullies because they identify with those properties. There's a person a block over from me with an Imperial sticker on their car. It's probably as revealing about the real person as a sticker of the Decepticon logo or Freddy Kreuger or something. It's probably less worrisome than a Punisher logo. But if the owner turned out to be some right-authoritarian type I'd be "yeah, that tracks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Marsupial Ape posted:

IG-11’s went full Cop Droid

I just remembered one of my favorite NV quest resolutions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM53D2Xo_oY&t=105s