Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's a pity that Resistance got such a mean blowback right out of the gate because it looks like something I would've been mad keen on as a kid. I don't know if it's just the way people are in 2018 or what the problem is; I remember people had a right whinge 10 years ago when the Clone Wars movie came out (I distinctly recall people griping about how Lucas had "Disney-fied" Star Wars :v:) and I remember people having exactly the same whinge over Rebels when we got the first look at it, admittedly somewhat tempered by the fact people trusted Filoni at that point. But neither was as hostile as the poo poo Resistance has had slung at it over three (?) trailers so far.

I don't get it. What happened to Star Wars fans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Last Jedi.

The default public opinion of Star Wars has swung back to prequel-era levels of hatred,

Oh, well, you probably know what my opinion on the matter is already, in that case.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sure, but you and others here are always civil about it. The same can’t be said for most folks on social media.

Just for avoidance of doubt, I really liked TLJ a lot, but my opinion is that more people probably disliked it than liked it.

Anyway, I've been thinking of tracking down the Ewok tv movies following discussion in the CineD thread. I nicked them off the Internet years and years ago before they got their dvd releases but I've never watched them since. My first exposure to them was actually through the Essential Guide to Characters, of all things. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I honestly can’t tell. It’s definitely divisive, but the detractors are so loving loud that it’s tough to gauge what percentage of the audience they actually make up. The friends I saw it with in the theater all had mostly positive things to say about it immediately after, but as soon as the vitriol started to spread across the internet later that month, nearly all of them backtracked and now claim to hate it.

Oh, well, I think that was sort of the story with the prequels. They had plenty of critics (the amount of bullying Jake Lloyd and Ahmed Best in particular received over their roles certainly prefigured what you see today) but I don't feel like everyone decided they'd always hated them until the first RLM review came out.

I never got the impression that the prequels were widely hated at the time but maybe it's because of my age. I'm 26 now and I was eight, 11 and 14 when each of the prequel movies came out. Of course I didn't pay any attention to any of that stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if the Mandalorian space western tv series means anything vis-a-vis the Boba Fett movie James Mangold was meant to be working on. The Favreau shows sounds like what I imagined the Mangold Fett movie would be like.

(Mangold should be doing an Obi-Wan movie - it'd be a companion to Rogue, set immediately before ANH as he goes on one last adventure and then on his way home rescues Luke from the Sand People and the movie ends with CGI de-aged Mark Hamill saying, "He claims to be the property of an Obi-Wan Kenobi - do you know him?" and the movie ends with Ewan McGregor saying, "Obi-Wan? Now there's a name I've not heard since long before you were born..." - basically Logan.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoy the story about Randy Stradley (when he was editor of the Star Wars books for Dark Horse) getting really tired of fans on the Internet demanding more Mandalorians so he eventually wrote one where the Mandalorians appear... in full retreat after losing a battle.

Was Boba Fett a big part of the marketing for ESB or ROTJ? He doesn't amount to much in either but I've heard he was heavily promoted much like Phasma in the new movies. They were both there to look cool and sell toys. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Madurai posted:

Boba cultists were fully engaged right from the moment he appeared on the Holiday Special. I didn't understand it at the time, either.

Would Boba Fett's mystique and popularity have survived if this photo had been widely circulated way back when:

:v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"The Mandalorians are attacking! There are dozens of them! DOZENS!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, I know about the subsequent stuff. I liked the John Wagner comics a lot. It's what his profile was like before any of that existed that makes me curious.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's sort of amusing that one of the more unpopular changes to the special edition version of ROTJ (even with the actor who played him) was Fett flirting with Jabba's dancers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

drunkill posted:

Bryce Dallas Howard but no Ron Howard? Maybe he'll be an assistant director on her episodes.

He'll be coming aboard once she's sacked after 90% of her episode is done.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

drunkill posted:

I think the bigger news is Dave Filoni directing the pilot/first episode. His first live action directing gig, after doing a few more episodes of futures seasons/shows he could direct a starwars movie in a few years time.

Hahaha. Oh, dear. There won't be any Star Wars movies in a few years time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

There's a bunch of movies in the pipeline; Rian Johnson's trilogy, the unspecified series from the Game of Thrones guys, etc. I doubt they're gonna dump all those into theaters in the next year given the whole "hey we're slowing down the release schedule" thing.

Well, you know my opinion already.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Favreau not directing any episodes himself?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He’s writing and EP.

Oh, I know that, I just assumed he'd be directing some episodes too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I am quite enjoying reviews like "This children's series is for CHILDREN! :qq:" on imdb et al.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Like I said before, I imagine most people will wise up about it. I remember when the first Clone Wars trailer showed up (i.e. for the movie) people got very stroppy about how LUCAS :argh: had DISNEYFIED :argh: Star Wars (funny in retrospect) then I remember when the first Rebels information dropped people said it looked "too kiddy" compared to Clone Wars. But at the same time, I feel like something's changed; I think more people will hold their grudge than they did with the last two, for one reason or another. That's just 2018 for you, I guess.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm disappointed Darth Vader never addressed Ahsoka as "Snips" in his Darth Vader voice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Cross-posting from CineD, I just read a rumour suggesting that Werner Herzog could potentially be in the Jon Favreau tv series, which might be amusing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That was always one thing I thought was kind of interesting about the old EU - it might have carried over, I'm not sure - namely that the Republic and the Empire both cover only a relatively small part of the galaxy and there are vast swathes of space most people have never been to (space being big and all). I think that may be an interesting place for a tv show or a new movie (or even Episode IX!) to go.

Of course, this is the world where the chief of the Jedi library decided it was impossible for a planet to exist because she didn't have it on file, so I assume most people are very into Republican/Imperial Exceptionalism. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In complete fairness if you just look at the movies and ignore everything else you could be forgiven for assuming the Empire just ended when they blew up the second Death Star. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

You realize Star Wars has been a cross-media franchise for decades, right?

The movies have always been most important, though. My dad finally got seeing Solo recently on dvd and he said he was enjoying it until Darth Maul showed up because it completely took him out of the movie; said he had no idea where that came from. I told him he came back in the cartoons and he said it would've been nice if that had been explained in the movie, because as far as he's concerned Darth Maul has been dead since he was chopped in half and fell down a bottomless pit in 1999.

As I've said before, it doesn't strike me as terribly fair to make it incumbent on people to seek these things out so they understand what's going on in the movie they've bought their ticket for. My dad doesn't have the time or really the interest in watching children's cartoons to get the necessary backstory for the movie. In your opinion, is it unreasonable for him to be annoyed like that?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I might be projecting a bit; my dad's very easily entertained but Darth Maul in Solo was the one thing I really disliked about it. There's the reasons I've described, and there's the fact that Maul's story already had an ending on television. Presumably Maul would have been the villain in putative Solo sequels if that movie hadn't failed at the box office, so I'm not sure how you can really turn that into a satisfactory arc if this is just one chapter in his story, which we already know concludes some time later and farther away.

Anyway, this isn't a thread for movies. I suppose I'm just not a huge fan of Maul coming back in the first place, to be honest, even though I did enjoy his story arc in Clone Wars. I know it was one of Lucas's big pieces of input into the Clone Wars cartoon (if Filoni is to be believed, and I see no reason to doubt him) but there you go.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

site posted:

that happened in the tail end of clone wars, he conspired with house vizla to take mandalore from obi wans gf and her pacifist council

Maul's last appearance in Clone Wars (for now) ends with Sidious killing Savage and blasting him with Force lightning. He next appears in Rebels, showing up on Malachor 15 years later where he meets and befriends Ezra. His appearance of Solo is in between but I'm not sure what else is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anybody know what Mike Zeroh's deal is? Is he just a troll, like a new version of SuperShadow? Does he actually have an inside track? What's his accuracy rate been like in the past?

Whenever I try to search for Star Wars news, I get almost nothing but articles from the Daily Express website (it's a lovely tabloid in print and somehow even worse online) whose arts editor (!) seems to do nothing but post articles whinging about Last Jedi (it didn't respect his fan theories) and reposting Mike Zeroh links as verified fact.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's just frustrating. I won't post the screen capture but I just searched "Star Wars Episode 9" on Google News and seven of the 10 results on the first page were from the loving Daily Express, almost all of which are sourced from Mike Zeroh, then two more are from DigitalSpy, which isn't a whole lot better, and the last one is from Inverse, which I know nothing about but is probably more clickbait.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When the prequels were coming out, I didn't have much sense of how to use the Internet so I mostly relied on starwars.com and its message board for news (which apropos of nothing is probably the single most right-wing message board I've ever been part of). I would've only started looking for spoilers circa 2003/2004 came out, when I would've been around 12, but I was aware of SuperShadow and even then I knew his stuff was a load of rubbish.

I heard some spoilers for TFA through the FullofSith podcast (for instance, the Resistance having a superweapon which they'd use to disable the First Order star destroyer and let let Poe and his team in to attack the Death Star) then basically ignored just about everything for TLJ because there seemed to be far more fan-theorising than spoilers and I don't give two shits for fan theories (as I've said before, I ended up enjoying the movie more than I think most people did, and maybe that's one of the reasons why :v:). I've only recently become interested in the Episode IX stuff. No particular reason; I'm more interested in Star Wars than Marvel or DC movies so I'm more inclined to pay attention to it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of the few early spoilers/rumours* for Last Jedi that I did see suggested that Kylo and Hux were going to meet with Snoke on some Mordor planet where Snoke was going to kill Hux immediately for losing his Death Star; that stuck with me to the point where I was really confused about why Domhnall Gleason was doing so much promotion for the movie and then in the scene where Snoke's giant hologram head shows up to give him a hard time I assumed he was going to execute him.

As far as the prequels go, the only thing I remember was a rumour about Mace Windu having a big rematch with Boba Fett, which I absolutely believed, because of course everyone knows Boba Fett is the ultimate badass super-soldier. Does anybody else remember that one?

* Pretty much just this and Rey having an exchange with Luke that went: "Are you my father?" No, you are my father!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

God, I remember SuperShadow had me believing all sorts of bullshit back in the day.

Did you know that General Grievous has a higher power level midichlorian count than Mace Windu?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

I was just thinking about Super Shadow the other day. I always wondered if they were a joke, soneone with mental problems or just a fan way to obsessed with star wars and felt they could extrude influence on it by force of will. I remember they claimed to be the one making the TV show.

I've heard he actually had a bit of a breakdown when Revenge of the Sith came out and proved that virtually every single one of his predictions/scoops/leaks was wrong. Whether that's true or not isn't clear to me - it was almost 15 years ago - but if he wasn't a very committed troll then he sincerely seemed to believe that he had an in with George Lucas.

Likewise, I've heard that one of the reasons Mike Zeroh was so harsh on Last Jedi (PLEASE NOTE: the operative phrase being "one of" - I'm sure he had normal reasons as well) was that it didn't match any of his Exclusive Insider Leaks. Again, I'm sure he may have disliked the movie for normal reasons as well but when you make your entire YouTube career off claiming that you've got an inside track and you're proved completely wrong it's probably annoying.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

There was someone who deleted their channel because none of their youtube theory videos about Snoke and other TLJ topics were correct, and they blamed the movie for ruining their channel. It was pretty much just rumors and fan speculation passed off as inside info, I wonder if that was Zeroh's channel.

No, Zeroh's still posting multiple videos per day reporting EXCLUSIVE LEAKS for Episode IX. I hadn't heard about whoever the other one is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d pay good money to read honest editorials written by Lucas where he discusses and reviews all the Disney-era SW media. I know we’ve gotten little snippets of his opinions every now and then, but I’d kill to hear him discuss what he thought did or didn’t work in each film.

He doesn't like them, that much is clear.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, the most Lucas has said about the sequel trilogy is that TFA was, "A movie the fans will love," and TLJ was, "Beautifully shot." It's very difficult to see that as anything other than a backhanded compliment or damning with faint praise.

Like, maybe he sincerely appreciated the cinematography in Last Jedi, it's certainly possible, but if that's the highest praise he musters it suggests that he thinks that's all it has going for it. And in the former case, when Lucas was making the prequels, he said more than once that he didn't make the movies "for Star Wars fans", he made the movies he wanted to make and Star Wars fans could like it or lump it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cross-Section posted:

Regardless, I doubt Lucas could have anything near a objective-ish opinion about the new movies considering how he feels about selling out to Disney in the first place.

As far as I'm aware nobody forced him to sell the company, but that point notwithstanding, it would be fun if he would just put his cards on the table and say he doesn't like them. All the beating about the bush is tiresome and it would be amusing to see some big fight in the media between him and Lucasfilm. He's basically retired at this point so it's not like he's at any great risk of being blacklisted from Hollywood or anything.

Probably still too friendly with Kennedy or something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen Red Tails but I feel like I should if only because it is one of the two major film projects Lucas has been significantly involved with since 2005 (the other being Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which I believe he wrote the story for but not the script).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cross-Section posted:

Regardless I think I could go without George Lucas becoming an alt-right figurehead because you’d just know that’s how it’d go down in this current climate.

I wasn't suggesting he should, I was just saying that Lucas openly having a go at the Star Wars movies he doesn't like in public would be funny.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cross-Section posted:

I guess I was going more for a "Mark Hamill having reservations about TLJ Luke" situation but 10x as volatile and without the whole "but I was fine with it afterwards" bit

I don't think Hamill was turned into an "alt-right figurehead" over that by anyone, though.

I feel like most of the detractors of TLJ don't like the prequel movies either (because they subverted their expectations :v:) so I imagine the most you'd get is "Even incompetent jackass George Lucas hates xyz!"

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah but it was a war movie and a racism movie...
Not historically big earners.

Though if Spielberg had directed it...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Actually is Spielberg still directing that Blackhawks movie as part of the DC movie franchise?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He didn't even want to direct the prequels in the first place: he offered the job to Spielberg, Zemeckis and Ron Howard but none of them were keen to do it and he eventually decided to do it himself so he could make sure he got what he wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vinylshadow posted:

Vader's Dad Puns and all

:qq: "But we were promised a handsome reward!"
:smug: "I am your reward. Don't you think I'm handsome?"