Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Blade Runner was the first thing that popped into my mind as well, I'll have to watch again, but other than Order 66 I don't think there were any of the standard Star Wars cues.

And they should have just made Chopper one of the droids, give him even more reason for the PTSD.

Also loved how you could see Maul's panic when the troopers were getting ready to execute him even though he was muffled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

They need to combine those Temple Challenges with Big Brother.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Teek posted:

Bring back Billy Dee for some framing devices and I'm 100%.

Yes, just do it like the Young Indiana Jones show. I'd watch the hell out of that. Not that I'm not going to watch the hell out of anything Star Wars.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

NTRabbit posted:

The end of the story for Ventress, and Maul building the shadow collective got used for novels and comics.

What is the Ventress comic?

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Kind of depends on what order you do the planets in, but the story is mainly just cutscenes sprinkled along the way.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Its Rinaldo posted:

Uh ok that's great but again, her wigging out about being on a planet the first time is expected and not the problem. I am not expecting her character to be some moody teen trying to be disaffected. Not knowing what dirt is, the stuff the ground is made of, is just a dumb way to do that and just part of the pattern of Filoni making the child main characters annoying and I just am not looking forward to that.

Rest of the show's good though.

Yup, I've certainly never seen a kid be excited about going to the beach for the first time and seeing the ocean or even a large lake. How lame of a story beat to have a child who's been raised on an ocean planet and lived in a metal structure her whole life be fascinated with the concept of dirt. Not to mention she's an empath and we know Hunter has a strong connection with his senses to his surroundings so she is probably experiencing more than just the feel of dirt on her hands. What a horrible waste of thirty seconds of screen time.

And while I do strongly agree that kids in Star Wars are on the annoying side I haven't had any issue with any of Omega's behavior or choices.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Urdnot Fire posted:

She’s gonna pop out of the World Between Worlds in Kenobi, only to realize it’s the wrong “Ben”.

She's gonna pop up like the Flash in B v. S right before the 2nd Kenobi/Maul duel goes down allowing Maul to escape, therefore giving them the ability to bring Maul back for a 3rd time.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Just a few observations that are probably wrong.

While I do agree that the squad needs to get used to providing for themselves I don't think they're at beginner level. They didn't stop at the spaceport to change their ship's signature, they had to stop there because they needed fuel and supplies. Changing the signature was just a secondary task that was convenient to do at the time.

It was also interesting to me that there's a bounty out on Omega. If the Empire wants her they'd have Wanted notices up all over the place. So who put out the bounty? I'd assume the Kaminoans did, but what's her name also deliberately helped Omega escape. She's been presented as in on the whole inhibitor chip in the past (5's season 6 arc) so why would she care enough about Omega to let her go, against the wishes of other leadership?

I also think Wrecker's "headache" is laying groundwork for him having future issues with his chip. In the pilot he heard Order 66 being issued, he just didn't know what it was. In the last episode when he was holding his head it was the right side, which is where the chip always seems to be located. Anyways, that seems like a better explanation than him faking a headache just to set up a bunk for Omega.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Dave Syndrome posted:

UGNAUGHTS ARE CLONE SOLDIERS!!!

poo poo, so who was Kuill? Poor guy just wanted to retire in peace after indentured servitude in the Clone Wars. :ohdear:

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Holy poo poo this is a bad thread

I'm having PTSD from the "discussions" about what's his name being in a slave labor camp, so obviously anyone who liked the episode, or the show itself, was in favor of slave labor.

Being Native American myself I'm pretty sensitive to these tropes, and I do cringe at some of the things they show, most of it is around the seeming casual cruelty shown by the sand people.

Yet historically, Native American's weren't particularly nice to their enemies. So I'm more in the camp of these stories should be told, instead of watered down or whitewashed, because we should remember our history, as lovely as it may be, because then we can see how far we've come, and how far we have left to go.

But that might be too extreme a viewpoint for a place like the TV IV.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Preach.

Will Boba yell "Martha!" next time he wakes up from the bacta tank?

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

My biggest issue with the show is that in his brief Mando stint he was shown to be a badass. Taking out a couple squads of Stormtroopers nearly single handed, and iced Fortuna without even bothering to banter. That was like a day or two before BoB starts up, so why the sudden change in attitude and skill?

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

I thought they showed the actual mayor though? Wasn't he the hammerhead guy in the 2nd episode?

I wouldn't be surprised either though, it seems like that kind of twist would be par for the show.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Don't have much to add, other than I love the show. I could watch ISB meetings with Wiresque dialog all day.

And props to Stellan Skarsgård for somehow giving one of the best performances of his career when I figured he was just going to be there for Disney paycheck reasons. The posing with upraised arm and fake smile before shuffling back to the cockpit was :golfclap:

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Before Andor released they added some footage to Rogue One, is that footage included on the streaming version of Rogue One? Or was it stuff from the series that just got inserted into the movie?

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Slashrat posted:

Where's this from? First time I've heard of stuff being added to Rogue One retroactively.

Looking at articles now it looks like it just maybe had some promotional Andor stuff that ran with it. Which makes sense. I seem to recall back when it was first announced it was being labeled as being "mixed" in.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Nothing much to add, other than I am continuing to love this show, and am terrified of some executive dumbing it down and adding new jedi we've never heard of into season 2, because THAT'S Star Wars.

This show is so good it could have been on HBO back in its heyday.

And Bix is obviously Andor's sister, because it's implied they kissed once. It's like poetry, it rhymes. I'm also glad the the K2 Droid didn't end up being THAT K2.

Cinta gets her own spin off series called Dr Baphra, with an EMO Droid sidekick that enjoys killing people.

I really do love how tight the script is. People's complaints usually resolve to them just missing dialog or not being able to read facial expressions.

I also loved how in the episode ending scene with Syril the music was just a riff of Andor's theme, but slowed down and trembling, like a Walkman with dying batteries. Just like his soul must feel living with mom and working in government bureaucracy.

And Andor's farewells really got to me, I think because of precisely how realistic they were. Bix is mourning Tomm and is in no mood for Cassian's bullshit, but still cares about him the way you do for an ex. And Marva saying "that's just love". :therapy:

I also want to watch a weekly series of ISB:Curuscant, with recurring special guest Admiral Yularen.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Blackchamber posted:

Going to have to rewatch for myself also then. I'm curious about Luthen's use of tradecraft... or in this case lack of it during his (Andors) recruitment.

Luthen didn't have the amount of time he expected to have with Andor since the corpos were already on him. He hadn't counted on disgruntled lover exposing Cassian and having to shoot their way out of the factory as opposed to a get to know you chat. Coupled with the fact that he wanted to get him to Aldhani in time for the heist he would have had to skip whatever his normal vetting procedure was.

And once Andor skipped out instead of reporting in for another assignment like a zealous rebel he was most definitely a loose end.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Tortilla Maker posted:

I tried to watch the movies, starting with Phantom Menace then Attack of the Clones. The acting, cinematography, CGI is pretty abysmal. Was this the general sentiment at the time too? Or did people then (and today?) think otherwise.

I ended up watching 5-minute YouTube summaries for Episodes I-V.

In sure there’s some nostalgia for the series, but I certainly hope people are more into the underlying storyline than the cheesiness which are Ep. I-V.

I’m really enjoying Andor but is that where the good stuff ends?

There's nostalgia for sure, but there's also a surprising amount of nuance that you're not going to get from 5 minute recaps about a space fantasy series. As others have said, you really should start with at least Episodes IV and V. If you're not feeling it after that, then you may just not be much into Star Wars. And Episodes I - III do have cheesy CGI that was groundbreaking at the time, but most everyone agrees that the dialog is terrible. However the underlying story beats are solid and the galaxy that Lucas created was ripe for exploration, which things like the animated Clone Wars series did well and Andor is currently doing. The animated series Rebels dives into similar themes as Andor, but it's also a series that you'll appreciate more if you've invested in the world building that came before it. The animated shows definitely get darker than some people give them credit for, but they don't maintain the constant grittiness and realism that Andor does so well.

It really depends on what it is you're enjoying about Andor. If it's the writing and solid acting, then it may be the only Star Wars media you'd really enjoy, but I'd definitely watch Rogue One just to continue following Andor's story. Rogue One is also an action movie that takes place over like 2 days, so you're not getting the deliberate pacing and character spotlight that we're getting in the series, but it's a solid movie and an excellent Star Wars movie.

If you're enjoying some of the subtext, like fighting back against a fascist regime, then that exists in Star Wars in spades, but Andor does it as well or better than just about any other Star Wars media.

Some people just like space wizards and laser swords so they're not into Andor or Rogue One, but as someone who grew up on Star Wars this is some of the best Star Wars out there, along with some of the stuff from Clone Wars.

All IMO of course.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Jinnigan posted:

i rewatched them earlier this year and the thing that struck me is that although they are much worse crafted than the sequels, at least they have an idea that they want to express, instead of just a bunch of committee-approved scenes

Pretty much this. It's obvious that Lucas had the vision, but not the screenwriting or director acumen to pull off a good film without a lot of support that he had in the OT. The sequels are competent films but pretty devoid of whatever spirit exists in the originals/prequels.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

If this was Obi-Wan then Andor's sister would for sure be Bix, because of course she would.

The sister is dead, Marva has always known it, and letting Andor know the truth was her parting gift to him. Trying to force the sister into the storyline is as bad as trying to say Luthen is a Jedi because he carries a fancy cane around.

I am curious though why space Bin Laden (Saw) is allowed to know Luthen's name? It seems like you'd be more worried about a guy who is presumably on the ISB's most wanted list knowing your identity than a random mercenary.

I do think that lends itself to thinking that Luthen has some kind of ISB source, so he's stressing because he does know Andor is on their radar and now he is as well by extension.

I'm assuming Syril is about to go and immediately submit a 7th query to see who he gets to talk to next?

And I think they're building giant K'nex to piece together the Death Star. Even though by this point it should be like 95% finished.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Just throwing in my two cents on the Clone Wars for those who may be on the fence about it...

I tried to watch it when it was first airing weekly and while I didn't hate it, the arcs being split up seemingly at random kept me from getting invested.

Once they were up in D+ I did a watch in chronological order and being able to watch complete arcs made all the difference for me.

Yes, the animation starts out stiff and rough, but by season 7 it looks amazing, while still heavily stylized.

And some goons are terrible at watching shows. The series does an amazing job of showing Anakin becoming disillusioned with the war and the Jedi Council. He starts taking actions that make others look side eye at him, but in wartime no one's calling him out either. And then there's great juxtaposition throughout the series with Ahsoka, she provides a great balance for Anakin, as well as showing that while you can see each step that leads Anakin towards the dark side it's possible to go through the same trials and not compromise. TCW did a lot of work towards redeeming the prequels for me.

And while you can pick and choose specific arcs it does feel like a huge payoff in season 7 if you've experienced everything leading up to the finale.

The series also introduces great new characters like Ahsoka, Cad Bane, Satine, the witches of Dathomir and the pirate Hondo.

Even in the less exciting arcs there's usually something that stands out. Even the Jar Jar ones.

The animation starts rough, but if you stay for the story the animation greatly improves and the style may grow on you. I still prefer it to Rebels even though Rebels leans towards being realistic.

And Rebels also has some great stories. The season 2 finale is still some of the best Star Wars out there IMO.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Necrothatcher posted:

Watched S1E16 of CW 'Hidden Enemy'. Feeling a bit happier about watching the show if it's at this level of quality relatively earlier into the show. Nice inter-clone drama, fun but brief saber duel with Asajj Ventress, and decently choreographed animation.

Got the movie tomorrow and urrgghhh I am not looking forward to this.

The "movie" is truly not bad at all. It's simply 3 episodes cut together. So the animation and story telling is just like any other Clone Wars arc. I believe the only difference is that SLJ voices Windu. While it's not spectacular on its own, it's the introduction to Ahsoka.

The people who say it's terrible are the ones who never actually watched The Clone Wars.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Show about space fascism shows a guy clearly becoming unhinged and radicalized and people interpret that as just trying to hit on an ISB officer? Dedra is clearly repulsed by Syril, not secretly dripping at a lunatic being interested in her. She is all about career climbing and logic, she is not a fanatic and she doesn't want anything to do with one. The only reason she doesn't bother to arrest him is because he's literally no longer important to her. She has Bix who can positively identify Luthen.

Syril has deluded himself into thinking that he somehow has a huge part to play in saving the galaxy and he's starting to foam at the mouth for whatever part he gets to play. Kind of like if some mentally ill person listened to lots of anti government rhetoric and then tried to break the kneecaps of a political figure but instead just ends up cracking the skull of the politician's husband with a hammer.

I love every scene in Andor, and I think I love it especially because it's doing an amazing job of reflecting the political climate of today's world.

I also love the choice they made to go with seasoned veteran actors. So cool seeing so many people from Chernobyl show up and nailing every scene they're in, instead of people cast just because they have a passing resemblance to an OT character.

I keep thinking the ISB guy with the mustache looks a ton like the communications guy from Rogue One who reports to Mon Mothma that fighting has started on Scariff, but I haven't actually gone to look.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Shageletic posted:

I feel like there's been a couple of people in this thread that are still in the "Cassian is the most boring person" on the show, and I have to disagree.

Amen.

Although I guess I'm one of the few completely non-jaded people who loved Rogue One and was actually pretty excited to hear about Andor becoming a thing. I never imagined it being as brilliant as it has been, I thought it'd be more mission of the week kinda thing.

Maybe I'm just edging too much over excellent Star Wars but I'd put Andor up against any prestige TV of the last 20 years. The only thing really against it is the niche of being yet another Star Wars show.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

The fact that the current topic of conversation has been rotating around whether it's okay to be a misogynist because a female character is a fascist does at least seem to be light years ahead of incels being mad that Reeva was a black woman in a position of authority. Progress?

But I am loving the fact that this show has such incredible nuanced characters. While Dedra is great, I think the best overall performance is Andy Serkis. His facial expressions from jovial foreman to worried despair has been amazing to watch. It makes me sad all over again that the sequels had amazing actors and production values, but just no idea how to actually create a star war. It could have been amazing.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Just because there hasn't been enough hyperbole in this thread...

With all the parallels to Chernobyl with cast and crew crossover, it's actually pretty amazing that Andor doesn't seem nearly as far fetched as some of the creative choices they made for Chernobyl. Or maybe the booze is just kicking in.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Mastocator posted:

Andor is the natural evolution into more mature and relevant themes for an audience that's grown out of playing with figurines. I know there's still a young demographic to cater to, but boy if this isn't a hundred times meatier.

I love Andor, but also just finished watching Tales of the Jedi and I loved that as well. I think I just love Star Wars and am happy that it's still churning out incredible content.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

I drop in every once in a while just to be reminded how many people love to be negative about anything.

I have enjoyed the series, and loved the episode.

Hayden channeling Matt Lerner channeling Hayden was great. Young Ahsoka showed that you can have competent young actors in a Star Wars.

Also also, I really enjoyed how in the previous episode in Ahsoka vs Balan it was obviously speed vs power, but Anakin is both powerful and fast, showing just how amazing prime Anakin was.

Dingleberry2 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 13, 2023

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Larryb posted:

Ariana Greenblatt deserved a bigger role, that kid’s going places (and already has a fairly decent resume based on her Wikipedia page)

I'm on board with her leading a live action Clone Wars series.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Vinylshadow posted:

Good Star War that don't fit with the material around them?

Or maybe saying that the people making GBS threads all over the Ahsoka series are probably the same people who claim that zombie Leia flying through space and a casino adventure is the pinnacle of Star Wars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

This debate is kind of cool. We're witnessing a mythology being created in real time, complete with scholarly disagreements over interpretations of the text.

Were the Jedi in fact "force wielders", able to manipulate objects around themselves, or were they simply an elite army that used mind tricks to play off of their reputation to be peacekeepers? In the chronicles of Andor, the only text with a complete copy of the Manifest of Nemick, believed to be the catalyst of the rebellion that ultimately toppled the Empire, there is no mention of any Jedi, and certainly no reference to any beings capable of any mystical powers. It seems strange to think that less than 30 years after the last of the Jedi army disappeared they would not be worthy of mention if they were more than just another military faction with considerable influence in the Senate...

And I'm done.