Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Welcome to the Star Wars TV Show Megathread!
Seeing as how we now have multiple Star Wars based television shows, and can't stop talking about the old ones, we decided a megathread would be the best way to handle things moving forward. So let's see what we have coming, and where we've been!

The Mandalorian

https://i.imgur.com/SEKpWBR.mp4
From Wikipedia: "Beginning five years after the events of Return of the Jedi (1983) and the fall of the Galactic Empire, The Mandalorian follows Din Djarin, a lone Mandalorian bounty hunter in the outer reaches of the galaxy. He is hired by remnant Imperial forces to retrieve the child Grogu, but instead goes on the run to protect the infant. While looking to reunite Grogu with his kind, they are pursued by Moff Gideon, who wants to use Grogu's connection to the Force."

The Mandalorian is the flagship of Star Wars television, at the moment. Three seasons are currently done and available on Disney+, with a fourth apparently already written. If you haven't watched it yet, what are you waiting for? Get on it!

The Bad Batch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsOmYpP4UDU

The Bad Batch follows a group of "defective" yet enhanced Clones who are navigating a post Clone Wars galaxy, during the rise of the Empire. The show has finished its first two seasons, but the third and final season is currently airing, and so far it's been amazing.

Andor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKOegEuCcfw
A prequel to Rogue One, telling the story of Andor. Widely considered to be the best TV show, and maybe the best media, Star Wars has ever produced.

Ahsoka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnzNZ0Mdx4I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvt8FhkDIEg
A lot of us really wanted to like this one. And It's not really bad. Some episodes are even truly great. But it could have been much better. That being said, I'm a big defender (I mean, it has Thrawn, of course I'm gonna go to bat for it), and I maintain it has one of the best single episodes of Star Wars TV (non-Andor category) ever. Just go in expecting a slow burn. Season 2 incoming, hopefully building on the setup from season 1.

The Book of Boba Fett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOJ1cw6mohw
One season show (...so far) that was met with mixed reviews. Most people agree that, when it was a third season of Mando, it was pretty good. Problem is, that's not what it was suppose to be, and it didn't stand on it's own very well, if at all. Still it's unfortunately required viewing if you want to keep watching Mando.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWTfhyvzTx0
It's...pretty bad. Which was disappointing to a lot of us. But it has some great moments, few and far between as they are. And it may get a second season? Though I'm personally hoping they move on. That being said, your mileage may vary. And it has Hayden Christensen reprising his role as both Anakin and Vader, so that's at least worth a look.

Older Shows
Since we're Star Wars fans who can't stop talking about anything ever feel free to discuss the following older shows here as well!

Star Wars: The Clone Wars

The Clone Wars originally ran for 6 seasons, and told the story of, well, those fighting in the Clone Wars. Anakin and Obi-Wan fought side by side, Anakin gained a padawan named Ahsoka (who, if you're new to the show, you're going to probably dislike at first, but give her some time. They hit a stride with her around half way through season 2, and by the end of the show is one of my favorite Star Wars characters). It also featured a wide variety of Clones, somehow, with each cultivating different personality traits. Basically, this show is great. A little slow to start, but once they figure it out (again, about half way through season 2, and then definitely in season 3) it's a beast.

The show was revived for a 7th and final season. Opinions on the season as a whole are mixed, but basically everyone agrees that the final 4 episodes are amazing, and are required viewing for all Star Wars fans.

Star Wars: Rebels

Rebels ran for 4 seasons on DisneyXD. It was set during the height of the Empire, beginning around 5 years before the events of A New Hope, and told the story of a small Rebel cell, initially trying to keep the Empire out of their home planet, before being pulled into the larger galactic conflict. The general consensus seems to be that the animation and story started a bit rough, but didn't take long to get better. And by the end, it looked like this.

So if you're new to the show, don't be disheartened at the beginning. You're in for something special. The entire show is available on Disney+.

Star Wars Resistance

Resistance was a two season show that is...not great, but if you're looking for a kid's show about pilots in Star Wars set during the time of the Sequel Trilogy, you'll probably enjoy yourself. Just remember, it's first and foremost a kid's show, and Filoni is not involved much past the initial setup of the show.

Upcoming Shows
Not much is known about these shows, so I'll just be listing them here, and posting premiere dates as they become known.

The Acolyte

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtytYWhg2mc
June 5th, 2024

Rangers of the New Republic

Future uncertain, possibly being retooled, possibly cancelled, because Gina Carano turned out to be an rear end in a top hat.

Lando

Web Series
I guess I might as well include these here, too.

Star Wars: Forces of Destiny
Forces of Destiny is a series of short videos made for YouTube focusing on the various female characters and what they're up to when not on screen. They're fine, harmless fun, and lets the original actors (in most cases) play around with some lighter fare as voice actors. 2 seasons so far, you can knock them all out in an afternoon if you feel like it.

First episode can be found here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVVa2g4X4MU

Star Wars: Galaxy of Adventures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wsHRyLWgWg

Seems to be animated shorts remaking the entire film saga, including the existing dialogue.

Helpful Links
  • Past threads for Seasons 1, 2, 3, and 4 of Rebels, as well as the last thread we had for The Clone Wars.
  • The Star Wars Show, which is an often embarassing, but mostly lighthearted online show about Star Wars and what's coming next, so recaps for recent episodes will probably go here, unless they do a Resistance Recon like they did for Rebels. In which case I'll post that, too.

So let's do this thing!

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Teek posted:

Yub-nub bitches.

Just one clarification: The Favreau series takes place 3 years after RotJ. There was some confusion when that news first came out, with Favreau meaning the series was 7 years after ANH, not RotJ. So basically it takes place two years after the Battle of Jakku which ended the Galactic Civil War.

Ah, alright. Thanks. Fixed.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Colonial Air Force posted:

The Star Wars Holiday Special was on TV and should be included. :colbert:

You've made Lumpy sad.

*puts on jivjov hat*
Canon content only.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh sure, wait until the day I make an OP including the words, "Untitled Jon Favreau Project" to release the title of the drat thing. Anyway, OP updated.

jivjov posted:

I mean...its not like we can't still talk about Legends content....

I know. It was a joke. I just have no intentions of including a section in the OP for the holiday special.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jng2058 posted:

Re: The OP...

Rebels started at most four to five years before A New Hope.

Otherwise, great OP! :golfclap:

Oh, I thought earlier, because I just assumed that was little kid Luke running in the far away shot with Old Ben looking down at him, not young teen Luke. Thanks! OP updated.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 4, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Tomtrek posted:

Confirmed: It's a Mandolorian.

quote:

Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).

gently caress. Yes.

Grandma Panic! posted:

hey OP you forgot to add the 2003 Tartakovsky Clone Wars you loving mong (aka the only animated SW worth watching).

Was that ever actually on TV? I thought they were just straight to DVD release movies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Teek posted:

The microseries isn't canon any longer. There's quite a few TV related things which aren't canon anymore (Ewoks TV movies, Ewoks cartoon, Droids cartoon, etc.). I think the opening post is more explaining the current state of semi-active shows that are canon.

Can we also please not poo poo up the thread with movie complaints, keep that in the movie threads.

Yes to everything in this post.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/RealClancyBrown/status/1048060832620244992

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

twistedmentat posted:

I hope that means Clancy Brown is in it. He'd be terrifying as some Crime Lord or post Empire Hold Out.

Well he was in both Rebels and Clone Wars, so I'm guessing he struck up a friendship with him. But yeah, I agree, I would LOVE to see him in the live action show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

teagone posted:

So what are the odds that The Mandalorian is Sabine?

Nonzero chance, but only just barely.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

That's...wait, that has to either be a mistake, or by "Buy Season 1", they mean only the episodes currently available, so it's only the first episode still. I can't see how that would be for the full season coming.

edit: One comment in that thread said, "Yea I seem to recall this same mistake with Season 1 of Rebels. They canceled then, but worth a try! Thanks!"

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 8, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

About 6 months prior to TFA, yeah

In one of the later episodes you get to see an under-construction Starkiller, too

Doesn’t this happen at the end of the hour long premiere? It must, because that’s all I’ve seen so far, and I saw it.

Anyway, enjoyed the hell out of the first episode. A lot of fun, great ship designs, and I loved the hodgepodge of stuff from all 3 trilogy eras. My 2 year old daughter was hooked by the colorful visuals, so that’s a win as well. (She calls all Star Wars things she sees “pew pew”, and breathes deeply whenever she sees Darth Vader.)

Can’t wait for some characters and ships to show up in Galaxy of Heroes and somehow break the meta.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 9, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I remember a few months before AOTC came out, a blow by blow plot description of the entire movie leaked. I remember getting as far as “Death sticks” and saying, “Never mind, this sounds like bullshit” and moving then.

Flash forward to sitting in the theater, and everything I had read being right. “No...no surely not...”, “You wanna buy some death sticks?”

God dammit.”

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Colonial Air Force posted:

Do they have an after-show thing like they did with Rebels?

Doesn't look like it. Just much smaller (like just over a minute long) videos here and there.

https://twitter.com/DeeGoots/status/1049894793382436865

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 18, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bunnyofdoom posted:

Rebels did get Forest Whittaker for several episodes.

And James Earl Jones.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

George Lucas Visits “Mandalorian” Set

quote:

Favreau had his birthday today and he scored a surprise present – a visit to the set by none other than George Lucas himself with the pair taking a photo together. Lucas steered clear of the ‘Force Awakens’ and ‘Last Jedi’ sets, but did visit both “Rogue One” and “Solo”.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cross-Section posted:

I was referring to his “selling out to the white slavers” quip from an interview shortly after TFA’s release.

Regardless I think I could go without George Lucas becoming an alt-right figurehead because you’d just know that’s how it’d go down in this current climate.

Not likely.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.f0c3db8fe2d3

quote:

When George Lucas tried to expand his production company studios in California’s wealthy Marin County, the community pushed back. Then the “Star Wars” creator wanted to sell the land to a developer who would build affordable housing.

“It’s inciting class warfare,” Carolyn Lenert, then head of the North San Rafael Coalition of Residents, told The New York Times at the time.

Now, two years after that project stalled, Lucas has decided to build the affordable housing and pay for it all himself.

“We’ve got enough millionaires here.
What we need is some houses for regular working people,” Lucas said through his lawyer Gary Giacomini, CBS affiliate KCBS reported.

The 224-unit affordable housing complex would go on Grady Ranch, where his once-planned studio expansion would have been, according to a plan being submitted to the Marin County Development Agency this week, the Contra Costa Times reported. The plan, which would allow development on 52 acres, includes workforce and senior residences, as well as a community center, pool and an orchard.

Income requirements could be set so eligible residents had to make less than 80 percent of the area’s median income, the paper reported. The median household income for Marin County is $90,839, according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bunnyofdoom posted:

Star Wars.com announcement

Luna is even reprising. I loving will kill for this.

(God, I wonder how many rebel refs they'll make. Who will play Live Action Kallus, cause he has to hand off the Fulcrum title to Cassian)

I feel so dumb for missing this, but did Fulcrum get name dropped in Rogue One?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I mean, I guess she could be a grown up Sabine, but probably just a new character.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cross-Section posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wsHRyLWgWg

I guess they learned their lesson from Forces of Destiny in regards to the animation :stare:

So they're just going to remake the films in animated shorts? With the same recorded dialogue? Okay, I guess.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Madurai posted:

And, just like with the second-generation action figures, Luke's gotten all ripped.

They're just following the canon established by the original poster art.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Also official confirmation of Carl Weathers

I hope craft services saves him any meat bones they don't use.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't revisited that teaser in years (it's kind of weird that we can already say "years" when reckoning time since Star Wars movies started getting made again) and I'm surprised Harrison Ford going, "Chewie, we're home!" wasn't on the end of it. I was sure that was from the first trailer because I believe that that one shot, more than anything else, was what really sold the movie.

That was at the end of the trailer shown at Celebration that year. Because they wanted the video of the crowd going bonkers over it to go viral.

This was indeed the first teaser and “ended” (before the Falcon money shot) with the triple bladed lightsaber. Just like the first teaser for TPM showed the double bladed saber. And the first teaser for original Star Wars showed Obi-Wan and the single bladed saber. It’s a whole thing, if maybe just by coincidence.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cross-Section posted:

Nick Nolte’s playing an ugnaught!

That's, um...what?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bunnyofdoom posted:

Edit: That's an onion like site right on that Nolte news?

Making Star Wars is not an Onion like site, and is probably the most reliable Star Wars spoiler news sites around.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Me: “Hmm, that trailer looks like they’ll be getting into bigger plots that connect to a larger story. Maybe this show is turning into something in the second half of the season.”

New episode: “The gang gets a pet!”

Me: *sigh*

Yes, the pet sets up a plot where a huge monster attacks the station, but it was obviously the pet’s mother but we all have to pretend we don’t know that. And I feel like I’ve seen this exact plot done better on Star Trek and/or Doctor Who.

I want to like you show. You’re just not making it very easy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, but the thing is people were right to say things like that about early Rebels. It was a rough start, and wasn’t all that good until the end of the first season. Maybe that will happen here, too. But that doesn’t mean it’s wrong to be disappointed in the meantime.

I’m also worried that, with this seeming to be aimed at a younger audience, that won’t happen. Which is fine, this can be a perfectly good kid’s show that I’ll keep watching with my toddler daughter who calls the show “Pew Pew”. We’ll just have to see.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I really liked this week's kidnapping ep but the previous 2 were dire and I'm not at all interested in the small scale antics in between First Order appearances.

Yeah, I agree with this completely. But I’m hopeful for more episodes like this week moving forward.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

The only TV shows in production that we actually have confirmation of are Resistance (currently airing), Clone Wars Season 7, some manner of Cassian Andor show, and The Mandalorian. Nothing else has any manner of official confirmation.

Which would be 4, yes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Oh. I dunno what that references.

Dune.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Finally watched the latest episode. Loved it. More like that please.

How does everyone know the coordinates Leia sent are for Crait? If that’s made clear, I missed it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cross-Section posted:

It's mainly just supposition. "Next base" would imply that it at least isn't D'Qar, since it's been established that the Resistance has been based there before the series began.

But it could be a different planned next base. Crait seemed like an emergency plan when they were being tracked through hyperspace. And they were only there for a moment. I figure the Falcon will head to the planned next base, and the show crew will head there and meet up.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

There's been some Episode IX content leaked. If you care about spoilers or potato quality scans of posters and character art, exercise caution on Twitter.

Well, head on over to the Spoilers thread and post them.

edit: Eh, never mind, I'll do it.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 27, 2019

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bunnyofdoom posted:

We have a spoilers thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856613

You should know there's almost nothing there. They've been really good about no leaks this time around, aside from side costume screen tests images leaking in terrible quality, and now a potential poster (though still no title).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'm starting to think that they're going to announce too much at Celebration, and some announcements will be drowned out by bigger news.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I was checking out the Celebration schedule, saw this panel, and couldn't help but laugh at the last line.

quote:

Star Wars Rebels Remembered

Star Wars Rebels may have ended but the Ghost Crew is far from forgotten! Dave Filoni and special guests take a look back at the show that deepened our knowledge of the Force, broke our hearts and always gave us hope. Full disclosure – we are not announcing a new series in this panel.

So...new show announcement?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Watching the Clone Wars panel, and Ashley Eckstein is just the best.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

While I'm excited, I'll believe it when I see an official announcement.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Teek posted:

a back door Ahsoka series pilot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

teagone posted:

Shameless plug incoming: I cut together a faux "Star Wars Story" trailer for Ahsoka, based on a handful of Ahsoka-centric episodes from the second season of Rebels. Thought you all might appreciate it :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DX2HxN_EFo

That is rad as poo poo. I especially like your music cue when she sees Maul.