Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Nanigans posted:

Stunt casting usually sucks. I don’t really get the decision here. Who would be on the fence about watching a star wars but now that David Harbor and Allison Brie are involved, well sign me the hell up!

Uh I dunno about Harbour but Alison Brie has done a decent amount of voice-over acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Madurai posted:

Four episodes in, and I can't help but notice that there are already three Force-using ladies inexplicably fighting in high heels.

The TIE pilot in your avatar has one eye scarred and the other covered by her hair

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I'm not really a big anime fan but I watched The Twins and did some Googling based on some of the namedrops these last few pages and :lol: makes total sense it's the same dude from Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill, which I do know about thanks to Adult Swim

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Took the advice of someone in this thread and started letting the episodes breathe for a day or so before watching the next.

Ninth Jedi is pretty great. Definitely the best twist so far. I still don't know why some folks are so desperate to fit these stories into the greater Star Wars canon when I thought it was pretty obvious they were just going to be balls-out crazy anime one-offs. Then I saw there's going to be a comic based on The Duel, so...

But still, Ninth Jedi has a good potential for expansion if they decide to go that route (no goofy samurai sword sabers, no ties to existing canon), so who knows.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

What kind of alien was the big bruiser dude with red eyebrows who eventually stopped being evil for Reasons? (bottom right in the above image)

Probably a personal thing, but I really hated the lightsabers-as-mood-rings concept. I always have-- It just reeks of the annoying young-adult-novel/Divergent/Harry Potter thing where your character fits neatly into a category so you don't have to bother developing since you've already been color-coded into an archetype. I kind of liked it better when, like in the older pre-NJO novels, they just kind of built sabers and whatever crazy color the blade was when they turned it on was what they got.

I dunno-- it just kind of ruins the mystery of the Jedi when you can just look at a dude's lightsaber color and immediately know his stat sheet. But like Nanigans said a few pages ago, that's all no longer canon where you get a saber color based on your lifelong job assignment.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Waffleman_ posted:

The focus on kyber crystals specifically almost makes me think it was a mandate, like they were trying to have a loose theme.

Gotta move that product. They sell for like $15 a pop in Galaxy's Edge and they're literally just RFID chips encased in plastic.

I have four :saddowns:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Vinylshadow posted:

Right, so how long before Galaxy's Edge, Saberforge, and UltraSaber start selling these, I wonder

The off-brand sellers? Probably pretty soon.

Officially? At the rate they're rolling out new Legacy hilts? Maybe a few years, if ever. We still don't have Cal's or Kanan's even though they were teased a while back, and these are pretty much non-canon so they don't quite fit "in-universe" of which Galaxy's Edge is a part.

T0-B1 had bizarre pacing, but man it was fun to watch. The design for the Inquisitor and the shot of his TIE x1 illuminated by lightning were cool as hell.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Maybe I'm alone in this, but ironically I felt like The Duel was the one least in need of an expanded backstory.

It was an incredibly generic "wandering ronin" story that's been told countless times, to the point where it's practically a cliche. Dark quiet mysterious badass arrives at lonely village, bad guys show up, mysterious stranger defeats the boss, mysterious stranger rides off into the sunset. Simple as that.

Don't get me wrong; it loving ruled. But that's mostly thanks to the animation style (was it rotoscoped? I couldn't tell but it definitely wasn't hand-drawn) and to how it served as a perfect tonal introduction to the Visions series.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Nanigans posted:

It was a sith hunting other sith. That’s not something really seen in other Star Wars media, so it’s interesting for that if nothing else.

Oh for sure, that was a unique twist. I still didn't feel a huge need to know more though. Again, maybe it's just me :shrug:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm not a huge Star Wars lore guy, but does the Outer Rim go all the way around the galaxy?

Have fun.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Arc Hammer posted:

That's not how I remember it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaPOdWYAkp0

Revenge of the Sith game was lit.

This looks fun as gently caress. I went to the PS store to buy it but tragically it's not there.

Lmao are they just trying to retcon Jocasta Nu into some kind of badass after she was such a closed-minded dick to Obi-Wan in AotC?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

comic spoilers it's a short story in which she tries to find some records in the jedi archive of force sensitive people but runs into Vader and an inquisitor. She does well enough to hold off Vader for a bit with that gun but is eventually captured and killed by Vader on the same issue. A good final stand

That's pretty cool. I didn't know she survived Order 66 but then again who the hell can keep track anymore.

AndyElusive posted:

I wonder if we'll ever get an extended flashback sequence with newly minted Darth Vader just clearing out the Jedi Temple in the new Obi Wan Disney+ show.

Because how can they not? It's loving ripe with potential.

Which is exactly why they should leave it alone, because it's inevitably going to be disappointing.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

My brother in-law got those when we were there a couple weeks ago. The color changing effect is really cool. They're the most lightweight legacy sabers being sold right now and they're surprisingly comfortable.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

mdemone posted:

I love em to death, but I'm really jealous of my wife's Rey saber which is a great piece of art (the blade is yellow ofc):

Not sure if you know but there's a Black Series version coming out soon that blows the GE version out of the water :shobon:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The United States posted:

Yeah it's nice to see a single chickenwalker as a huge threat because no one brought a rocket launcher, it encourages creativity and tactics and those are fun to see. It's just brought down by Gina Carano.

Discount James Franco was also a bummer for the Tatooine episode. Fortunately, it set up the return of Ming-Na Wen's character who loving rules

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

site posted:

i think they mean the tagalong bounty hunter

efb

mdemone posted:

I'll not have you refer to Olyphant in such a way, I hope I misunderstand you

Yes. Timothy Olyphant rules and I completely forget the Krayt dragon dune worm thing also took place on Tatooine

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

"Rumors say Disney+ is developing a new series about a Thing. Here is a photo we put together of three other things that are not it."

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

site posted:

watching episode 9 for the first time since theaters and I'm wondering how the dead speak even made it out of the writer's room

WAR!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Coming from the ending of attack of the clones that ruled.

I honestly always thought it was kind of funny how, for all of us who waited anxiously for years to see what Obi-Wan's cryptically referenced "the Clone Wars" were all about, they teased us with the announcement of the prequels, then teased the idea again throughout the third act of Attack of the Clones, then at the beginning of Episode III it was just like, "LOL A CLONE WAR HAPPENED, HERE'S THE END OF IT"

I mean I know in the interim they had the Tartakovsky The Clone Wars series, which was a bunch of fun, but it still didn't really fill in a bunch of the blanks of what was ostensibly a Big Deal so it still felt just kind of mean

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Madurai posted:

That would make a lot more sense that what they eventually went with, but it's undercut by Yoda's wording in TPM.

I believe Yoda says "Always two there are. No more, no less." One could argue that he's not talking about the Sith a whole, but simply pointing out that Sith work in pairs. As in, there could be multiple "twos," but there are always only two of them.

I dunno, it might be a reach, but the rule of two is almost as stupid as the idea of "grey Jedi" so I'm willing to handwave it away.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

hiddenriverninja posted:

movie grievous reall has nothing on tartakovsky Grievous

This was brought up earlier in the thread, but: Tartakovsky was given only the most basic concept and design for Grievous, because Lucas is a hack who doesn't plan anything in advance. So the awesome kung fu Jedi-killing Grievous we saw in the Clone Wars season 1 finale and throughout season 2 was basically entirely made up by Genndy and his team because they had nothing else to go off of besides "cool robot with lizard eyes, I guess."

I don't remember where the coughing thing came in. I'm guessing the Mace-crushes-Grievous's-chest scene was added after Episode III production had Grievous coughing and wheezing, but they even hosed that up because the explanation Lucas gave for it was "oh he's a cyborg but not a very good one so he coughs."

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Darko posted:

By the way, anyone that wants to argue pro-non contained Lucas just has to read the Indiana Jones sessions transcripts to see the true Lucas.

I'm pro prequels now BECAUSE we have had animated series to flesh out everything we missed, but he definitely needed contrasting views. Without Clone Wars and Rebels, the prequels would still be issues.

Uncontained Lucas is a dead argument and has been for years.

http://maddogmovies.com/almost/scripts/raidersstoryconference1978.pdf

I don't think anyone in this thread is pro-Lucas-Unleashed. I think most goons are around the age to know that Lucas was a miraculously lucky dude surrounded by amazingly creative people to rein him in.

That reminds me though, when I was a kid I used to borrow a hardcover book from the library where half of it was about Return of the Jedi, with models and schematics and interviews-- and the second half of the book was Spielberg's behind the scenes of either Temple of Doom or Raiders? I've never been able to find it again.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

jng2058 posted:

If you want to go there, there's evidence to suggest that this has already happened. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPR9mMgaFvk

I really don't want to watch 13 minutes of fanfiction. Is the gist just that "World Between Worlds exists, it's magic, and Dave Filoni will use it to save us from SJWs and evil feminists by destroying the sequels"?

Madurai posted:

I think the last thing Solo needed was one more origin story incident crammed into an already-overcrowded movie.

I was rewatching it on tv recently and several times I found myself watching a scene and thinking "jesus christ, SO MUCH poo poo still has to happen in this movie."

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Ah ok thanks. I'm still not done with Rebels.

Where was it said Ben was Luke's first student? Is there a line from VII I'm forgetting?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

jng2058 posted:

The tie-in comic books, specifically The Rise of Kylo Ren. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Rise_of_Kylo_Ren

Oh good. Glad we have the comics around to explain minor inconsequential stuff like "how the gently caress did Maz get Luke's lightsaber" and "how did Palps build a giant fleet of death stardestroyers and who is on staff there" and "Who the hell are the Knights of Ren" and "What's Kylo's backstory aside from 'Luke creeped on him one night because Luke thought he was bad'."

Meanwhile thankfully the movies took the time to tell us big-picture stuff like how Poe used to hang out with some mildly shady smugglers who's secret hangout on an Imperial-occupied planet is cleverly concealed as "upstairs."

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Sekhmnet posted:

he's really a teenage yoda-thing who regressed after witnessing the order 69 purge.

:heysexy:

edit: you coward

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Backtracking a little, but

Vinylshadow posted:

People were nitpicking the outline of the X-Wing used in the logo to try and place it

Sequel X-Wings have larger half-circle engines and those look like smaller full-circle like the OT ones

Arquinsiel posted:

This has come up in the various threads at least once per thread already, with the exact same path of pointing at the logo.

Did nobody bother checking the teaser where somebody very deliberately rendered a T-65 X-Wing and not a sequel one?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, the movie hasn't even started production, so the logo and that "teaser" would all just be thrown together with whatever they had available laying around to say, "Look, a Star Wars thing!". Unless you think the planes on the side are also going to factor in. The fact is, we have no idea until we get more information.

:shrug: You might be right, but Occam's Razor and all. I feel like if this was going to be set in the sequel era, it wouldn't be hard for Lucasfilm and Disney to pull the T-70 model from their assets to use for the teaser.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

mdemone posted:

Wasn't that an actual line of dialogue in the film? Or is my brain making that up?

“Hey Luke. Thanks for coming after me” was a line, but it was said offscreen. Maybe that’s what you’re thinking of?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The most recent :stonklol: I got from these degenerates is when, after bemoaning Rey's character as a "Mary Sue" (which doesn't make any sense), I saw some comments about how Kennedy and Patty Jenkins and probably some other evil females had better show respect to Corran Horn (a literal self-insert Mary Sue) in the Rogue Squadron movie.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Cross-Section posted:

Using the sonic charge sound for the Inception horn here is deliciously stupid and I love it

Was about to post this same thing. I thought it was just a coincidence at first but the second or third time they did it I had a big stupid :haw: on my face

Also loving the Iron-Man-style robot-assisted armoring.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Robot Style posted:

I wonder if Book of Boba Fett's going to Fremenize the Tuskens at all. Boba's been using a Gaderffii, so I could see them taking some (more) inspiration from Dune and exploring their culture a bit more.

There's a really interesting bit of lore (that's sort of acknowledged in Episode II, KotoR, and The Mandalorian) where the Sandpeople are a direct metaphor for Native Americans. They're ancient natives of the Tatooine desert who just want to be left alone. The pejorative name "Tusken Raiders" (according to the Star Wars Technical journal) actually refers to an attack on a Tatooine settlement called Fort Tusken that was set up on tribal lands at the junction between the Northern and Western Dune Seas and the Sandpeople tried to get them to gently caress off and were massacred.

It's not very subtle.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I'm okay with whatever it did to bring up Revan in a cameo to give him a closing canon arc, because Revan was kind of interesting and had a whole game about him.

The other old offscreen Sith lords that are quasi-canon can get hosed because they're all either "guy with a spooky red mask and name with a super cool unique Force power and was a total evil badass" or "sexy nerdbait Twi'lek in a bikini."

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

After years of stories and novels and countless iterations of canonicity about how Boba escaped from the sarlacc (including one where I'm pretty sure he fell back in lmao), I really enjoyed how he just flamethrower-ed his way out in like five minutes.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Handen posted:

And the expedited rush to explain how Fett made it out of the sarlaac in three shots or less had the feeling of those cheap halloween mystery box gags you set up for elementary school aged kids. E.g., put your hand behind this curtain and feel the snakes (cold spaghetti), witches eyeballs (peeled grapes), and boogers (raisins in honey.) Like, okay, in the festering gut of an immortal sand worm, you and the other victim are both standing on a hard surface and there's enough air that the insides flap like curtains. And we get it bro, you vape. Not sure how that gave you the strength to punch through a living animal but okay. And how does he seemingly weigh 50lbs more than when he fell in? I can only suspend my disbelief so far.

And how the gently caress is his head covered in scars from the sarlacc stomach acid or whatever when he was wearing his helmet the entire goddamn time?

This is kind of at odds with my last post but I agree with this. RotJ is my favorite Star Wars movie but as a kid the entire beginning of the film was terrifying to me, what with the rancor and the horrifying premise of the sarlacc painfully digesting creatures alive in a burning choking pitch black stomach for a thousand years. This episode definitely makes the sarlacc way less scary, intentionally or not, showing that the stomach is shallow enough to be well-lit and breezy and you can just kind of stand up and walk around and pick at stuff.

I literally said this out loud when the creature appeared.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why is there a stormtrooper in the sarlacc instead of any of the wrinkle faced alien dudes Luke tossed in there?

Real answer: Lucasfilm probably didn’t want to show skeletal half-digested humanoids screaming in agony with their faces melted off

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

RYYSZLA posted:

Forgive me if im wrong, but did anyone else immediately upon watching episode 1 of B.O.B.F notice that it's almost shot for shot what patton oswalt describes in this famous P&R joke? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BBhNkywMJY (Citizen's Filibuster part)

Yes. Lots of people. Including Patton.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SANDPIERCER heist was loving cool.

Tosche Station deep cut owned and I hope we get to see those two again. :3:

When I saw this I immediately knew it would become a gif.

I really thought the Mayor's receptionist was Pedro Pascal and I guess others did too, but apparently it was just a lookalike.

One thing I wondered aloud while watching is why Boba walks with his chest puffed out with his held out to his sides.
My wife, who is much smarter than I am, pointed out that it's because Boba is still walking around like he has his armor on. He's just that loving confident and used to being an enforcer that he adopts his bounty hunter swagger even when he's running around in a onesie.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

fartknocker posted:

Give me the train on Ord Mantell from the Shadows of the Empire game next.

Lobok posted:

Star Wars fans literally only want one thing and it's loving disgusting.

There are train levels in Jedi Academy and Fallen Order, and Clone Wars series too :haw: Which makes sense, since Star Wars (and especially Mando and Boba) has a lot of space western elements, so stuff like the sandpiercer heist fits pretty naturally.

Everyone posted:

The point of this is that Boba Fett has been a loner all his life and now he's willingly joined a tribe.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Boba has basically been a blank slate and the show has done nothing to show us any of his motivations or reasoning.

Eh not necessarily. Clone Wars had BabyBoba both with motivations (even if "hates Jedi" isn't very novel) and as part of a tribe (Aurra Sing and Bossk's crew). But your point is still valid-- so much time has passed between prequel Boba and ESB-onward Boba that they might as well be different characters.

Madurai posted:

I think we can just start the countdown clock until we see live-action Aphra, now.

I haven't started any of the Aphra series. Why is this? Is she based on Tatooine or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Just Chamber posted:

You can't be racist towards pieces of metal :colbert:

PLEASE STOP. You'll summon SMG.