Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Funky Valentine posted:

An entire episode of just Temuera Morrison talking to himself.
They did a few of those. They were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

twistedmentat posted:

At least 2 will be dead by the end of the series. I'm going to say the big one and the smart one. Honestly, I don't care for the characters themselves but the potential for a show right at the start of the Empire is really fantastic, and the trailer implies that the Bad Batch lack the Order 66 chips and therefor are going to be in an interesting position.
Not having the Order 66 chips would make them pretty "imperfect" ftom the Kaminoan perspective.

tsob posted:

Maybe it's more of a royal name situation. Yeah, there's been other kings and queens before, but none called this exact name, so he's George the First or what have you. Sheev had the first empire named that, rather than the first empire of that size.
Nah, it's because all the other Empires had a Republic to fight occupying half the known galaxy. Sheev got the whole thing under his thumb.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yaaaaay. The absolute best bit from that cartoon :rolleyes:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Madurai posted:

I remain honestly surprised that t hey didn't throw that into Rebels.
Fan theory is that she became the Seventh Sister because they're the same species and that's good enough.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also the subtitles say it's him.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The original intention was that it was going to be little vignettes from all around the Clone Wars and not a single throughline story. That went off the rails immediately.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The last season doesn't really matter too much TBH. You can switch the first two arcs around either way just fine, and then end it on the Siege.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Natroga posted:

Not to kick a hornet's nest here, but why is Caleb Dume white? Like, that took me out more than the voice or the changes to the backstory.
He's based on a pasty Irish nerd who is friends with the art director from Rebels via the 501st and NYCC. It was a bit of a joke back when Rebels was airing in a Dublin comic shop that his wife figured it out before he did.

Jerkface posted:

They tried! Phasma orders him to the barracks for reconditioning at the start of episode 7 but he escapes with Poe
She actually mentions later that he did go for reconditioning right in the middle of the blown up TIE fighter falling out of the sky.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Its Rinaldo posted:

There are ways to point that out without making her look so dumb she doesn't know what dirt is. Talk about the feel of earth or how she finally experienced temperature change or what a breeze in her hair is like. Make it poignant. She's this precocious wunder girl but wasn't taught what soil is? Something on a huge percentage of habitual worlds? It beggers belief and just makes Omega look like an idiot.

I'd cut her some slack but this isn't the first annoying child barnacle to a series cast in Star Wars animated and I just resign myself to suffer through the seasons until they aren't annoying. It's a pattern.
She should have talked about how space is cold, and how she hates sand.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Vinylshadow posted:

Can't believe Luke was Omega all along
One of the funniest bits in the entire franchise right there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jivjov posted:

Most of the not-quite-finished clone wars stuff has been released in some capacity. The Bad Batch episodes existed as story reels with mostly-complete VA, and that got cleaned up into what we got in S7, along with them finishing up "Ahsoka's Walkabout" and "siege of Mandalore". Two story arcs set to focus on Quinlan Vos and Asajj Ventress got adapted into a novel, Dark Disciple, and a four episode arc about Maul was turned into one of the final comics Dark Horse did before the comic rights went back to Marvel.

The only big exception has been the Crystal Crisis arc, which was in the same level of Almost Done as the Bad Batch, but never got finished up for final release.
Is Crystal Crisis what they were calling the Bounty Hunter war stuff between Cad Bane and Boba Fett?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's the whole animatic of the duel done, but they cut away before you see if Fett also landed a hit on Bane.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I thought it was an inoffensive little bit of wonder and shorthand for “hey don’t forget this kid has literally never been anywhere that wasn’t raging oceans and sterile hallways”.

It's the "I didn't think there was this much green in the whole galaxy" line, except... better.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

thrawn527 posted:

I actually always really liked that line.
I don't dislike it, but it is a slightly silly thing to say about a colour.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Why do his pants have a stripe on them?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cross-Section posted:

Funnily enough, I don't think the movie answers either of these questions
It's a joke about it being the thing that they've already just decided to explain in the old continuity, while ignoring the stripes on everyone else's pants.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The comics decided that he was a hot shot fighter cadet, but he got kicked out of the navy for being too concerned about the survival of his squadron and broke a TIE saving someone... because the Empire is stupid as well as evil. Also that's how it works. You get kicked out of the navy and you automatically end up in the army.

teagone posted:

Pretty sure this was me because when Carano started going off the rails with her stupid rear end chud bullshit, I remember feeling so defeated lol.
If I am remembering it right it was almost a milkshake duck thing when the thread pointed to the transpobia that had gone unnoticed before she went full chud.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Angey Staff Officer on Twitter posted a blog about it at one point a few years back drawing parallels between the Clonetrooper to Stormtrooper conversion and the US military invading Iraq as if it was the USSR and then having to transition to policing duties. It's an interesting thing to examine through the sci-fi lens.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Vinylshadow posted:

"They'll pry my weapon from my cold dead hands" - Han, at some point, probably

Joke's on them, he threw himself into a star so they could never take it from him

*sighs*

They're gonna find a way for someone to recover it, aren't they
Well his hands are certainly not cold...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

fartknocker posted:

Gonk Status: Still Gonkin’

Also, while I don’t think the timeline works for this, I briefly thought that the female trooper, who I don’t think had any lines, was Iden Versio from Battlefront II.
I thought it might have been Ursa Wren when I saw her for that one shot, but the eyes are the wrong colour.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm normally not a fan of cute kids, but Omega is just adorable. And capable.

I don't know why she's being so cagey about telling the other clones all about the inhibitor chips. She obviously knows a lot more than she's letting on.
I think they're playing it as her not actually being aware that other people don't know what she knows or can do.

Spookydonut posted:

Why couldn't omega just use crosshair's bunk?
I would assume that Echo is in it. They had the ship kitted out before he joined up, and he's only been part of the team for a few weeks at this point.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sekhmnet posted:

He was a naked blue weirdo in the mmorpg 'star wars galaxies' for a long time, just chillin naked on a hill next to a building; that game folded in 2011.
You can't say that and not drop some context.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Radio! posted:

Speaking of, I'm glad they pretty immediately established that it's not his fault and he's being made to act against his will instead of the weird "he has to be punished/arrested for his actions" approach of the Winter Solider which makes literally zero sense in a universe where mind control is possible.
As much as I like how they're handling it, I kind of think they missed a trick by not having one of the hyper-individualist clones go "actually I am fine with this new order. Burn the children".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Anita Dickinme posted:

If you read the Thrawn books it goes into detail about him specifically learning everything about a culture through their art and even teaches his protege the same.
This is why they should have kept Zahn on a tight leash this time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Madurai posted:

Writing Thrawn as essentially a profiler, but for cultures rather than individuals, isn't a problem in itself--the trouble lies more in the tendency to get carried away with the standard main character superpower of "I am going to make deductions based on zero evidence which will always turn out to be correct." Thrawn's bullshit bothers me a lot less than, say, all of the Honor Harrington books.
The problem is that's basically WWII-era just-so story racism. The Chrysanthemum and the Sword by Ruth Benedict was used this sort of broad-strokes cultural "profiling" to explain why Japan was bad and the USA was morally good and pure.

In 1948.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's back in the first Thrawn novel IIRC.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Palpatine is significantly more competent than IRL fascists.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sash! posted:

I'm fairly confident Hitler would have succeeded if he too had been a magic space wizard
Nah, he'd just have used it to get high faster. Dude was on all the drugs.

twistedmentat posted:

I like how they use real world accents to denote class in at least the OT. British accents were the sign of upper class people from the Core Worlds, that's why Mon Mothma also has one. American accents are usually reserved for people from lower classes and less wealthy worlds. Though that doesn't explain Alderaan mostly having American accents. It's probably not as solid as I'm implying but generally if you hear someone with a clipped British accent, they're from a well to do family from a rich planet.
That's partially because Carrie Fisher thought the fake British accent she did in EpIV was terrible.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Bounty Hunters comic series reintroduces some old EU Marvel cyborg bounty hunter and his background is basically that same "I joined up to get an education while making the galaxy safe for working schlubs like me" character, but... minus most of his original parts. Then after he's discharged due to all the metal bits he goes home to see what the Empire made of his homeworld and is predictably unhappy.

twistedmentat posted:

True! Alderaan is space Canada, sorta british, sorta american.
I recently learned that Newfoundland accents are just rural Irish accents, with a slight colonial twang to them, and it's amazing to suddenly have all this second hand TV-gained knowledge of "Newfies sound weird" make sense.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Thrawn is space-Danish too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Everyone posted:

Yeah, but a bit of a throwback. Like a really cerebral Viking.
I was more going for a "he's foreign and has an accent" thing but that's not entirely wrong.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Vinylshadow posted:

Both Kanan and Hera call Ezra and Sabine their kids by the end of the series

Kanan also plays catch with Ezra after he gets a lightsaber (albeit in this case he's cutting things in half rather than catching them, but the imagery's the same)
She counts Chopper and Zeb in that too, implying that only her and Kanan are responsible adults who can be trusted alone for five minutes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
#ClinkSquad

Jerkface posted:

Bad Batch has been awesome so far, lots of varied environments, brutal action, and a lot of fun little bits. I liked this episode where it cut to the inside of the hauler and the aqualish driver is just bopping to some jizz
Strong Otto Mann vibes from that bit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xelkelvos posted:

Look at that perfect little droid.
The real question is, when can we buy a 3.75" scale one?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xelkelvos posted:

It just needs little springs in the limbs like a bobble head

Edit: We're gonna see this droid type again. Thinking about the animation process, they wouldn't waste the time modeling something like that for a one off scene unless the skeleton is just something reused from something else in the past. Mind it doesn't exactly walk in a complicated way, but still.
It's originally from Resistance: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/LE-series_droid

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Me, Clink, and Gonky are a polycule now.

We will not be taking questions.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xelkelvos posted:

Ah, that makes sense then. Just a reuse from that show. And it also makes sense it's blowing up now because no one watched Resistance.
The design wasn't animated as dynamically in Resistance IIRC. It made no impression on me at all, but that might be because they really went all-out on the astromechs for that show.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Or just thrown into meatgrinders over and over until there's nothing left.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Darko posted:

Snoke *is* Luuke, though.
The hand in the jar does suggest that all right.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
R0-GR's blatant PTSD from being carved up by Jedi constantly is darkly funny.

In general the Lego stuff is worth watching just for how weird the recurring jokes get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cheesus posted:

Fairly close after the release of Attack Of The Clones, some story or said that the beast that attacked Anakin was actually a herbivore but intentionally fed meat and purposely abused to to be angry to put on a good show in arena fights. I kind of didn't want to feel that kind of sympathy, but it was clearly showing the Geonosians as assholes for doing that to the poor beast.

So I don't blame Luke, I blame Jabba.
They did the same in the old EU with the rancor too. They're used as mounts on Dathomir, and are pretty much "elephants with hands" type-creatures. The Night Sisters were horrified to hear about what Jabba did to his, and Luke feels like an absolute poo poo for killing it.