Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That video includes an amazing line.

"This is Wilson's 4th suspension in his last 105 games, an unprecedented frequency of suspensions."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Tom Wilson was Gritty all along.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rotten Cookies posted:

IIRC they can lengthen a suspension through an appeal.

Yeah there was one in the last few seasons where they opted not to appeal, and the insiders were saying it was because they thought there’s a good chance an outsider would be harder on whatever it was than DoPS.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/OskarsTheBart/status/722965153373933568

lmao Oskars

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah there was one in the last few seasons where they opted not to appeal, and the insiders were saying it was because they thought there’s a good chance an outsider would be harder on whatever it was than DoPS.

I'm pretty sure that was Burrows. 10 games for repeatedly kneeing someone's head into the ice was a bit lenient.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheCBJArtillery/status/1047577396101177346

phrasing

E: lmao

https://twitter.com/chrispagnani/status/1047578378318958592

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Drunk Canuck posted:

Tom Wilson was Gritty all along.

Shut the gently caress up don't you say that about Gritty

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

You think Lehtera would appreciate that second one as a gift?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
DoPS got one right, it was a lovely hit, after a history of lovely hits. I hate that he's being paid such a ridiculous amount by the Capitals and I hope they trade his rear end to some truculence loving GM.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Gunjin posted:

DoPS got one right, it was a lovely hit, after a history of lovely hits. I hate that he's being paid such a ridiculous amount by the Capitals and I hope they trade his rear end to some truculence loving GM.

Just vomited thinking of Wilson in blue and orange

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/granthpaulsen/status/1047575319845244928

lmao one of their radio meatheads is getting dragged in his replies

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Guess he doesn't understand the concept of repeat offender and escalating punishments.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Just a good, hard hockey play.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

84 points seems generous for the Blackhawks this year.

Our second pairing is Brent Seabrook and Brandon Manning :smith:

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Ginette Reno posted:

Guess he doesn't understand the concept of repeat offender and escalating punishments.

Having watched him fairly frequently on various pre/post game broadcasts, I'm pretty certain that there are lots of concepts he doesn't understand.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
Tom Wilson could cross check an infant child and I'd say the kid should have been more aware of his surroundings tbh

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Number19 posted:

It's at least one order of magnitude too small but it's progress for the NHL.

You mean he should've gotten 200 games?

..yeah, probably so.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Pretty funny to watch that dude argue both that 'he was just hitting a dude skating with his head down' and that it was worth only maybe 8 games max. Pick one dude.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Gunjin posted:

Having watched him fairly frequently on various pre/post game broadcasts, I'm pretty certain that there are lots of concepts he doesn't understand.

Well every team seems to have a few employees like that I guess.

I checked the schedule and this suspension will not include their games against the Blues. So Wilson will be back for those, and I wonder what will come of that.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Ummagumma posted:

Our second pairing is Brent Seabrook and Brandon Manning :smith:

drat dude

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

DJExile posted:

If you have ESPN+, here's the games they're streaming this month:

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1047541256900026368

what the gently caress is this, these games aren't on nhl.tv?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Porrima posted:

You mean he should've gotten 200 games?

..yeah, probably so.

2000 would be even better but like I said, 20 is decent progress for the NHL

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Hopefully the NHL continues to drop the hammer on repeat offenders like Wilson.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

DJExile posted:

The fact that people are still saying "It was a good clean hockey play. Hockey is soft now. The game is ruined" shows that the league needs to come down even harder on this poo poo so we can finally redefine what "clean hockey" actually is. I feel like the DoPS clearly states that Wilson had so many better options available and that his target, who is by the rules a valid target for hard hit, still shouldn't expect to nearly die for putting himself in a vulnerable situation.

It's time to get this poo poo out of the game for good.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What's the deal with ESPN+? Is it just them grabbing some games and paywalling them because gently caress you pay us? Like half their poo poo on the ESPN app on my Apple TV are behind the + paywall now it seems.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Boy I hope Marchand sees this suspension and decides to clean up his act.

he won't :negative:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

communist kangaroo posted:

Tom Wilson could cross check an infant child and I'd say the kid should have been more aware of his surroundings tbh

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the devastating, long-term effects of repeated head trauma.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Number19 posted:

The fact that people are still saying "It was a good clean hockey play. Hockey is soft now. The game is ruined" shows that the league needs to come down even harder on this poo poo so we can finally redefine what "clean hockey" actually is. I feel like the DoPS clearly states that Wilson had so many better options available and that his target, who is by the rules a valid target for hard hit, still shouldn't expect to nearly die for putting himself in a vulnerable situation.

It's time to get this poo poo out of the game for good.

Honestly I find the victim blaming on these hits hella annoying...like he was clocked from the blind side, you can't literally watch everywhere on the ice, if he's watching for Tom Wilson flying in from the stands then wtf maybe Ovi catches him with a hit instead or some bullshit.

Bottom line is if you keep getting in trouble for it and your defense is "I wasn't trying to hurt anyone" then you still deserve to be suspended for being a poo poo hockey player that's a danger to everyone else on the ice because of your incompetenece

(but no Wilson does it on purpose because the consequences haven't been that bad until now and if you can kill a guy on the ice and get away with it your coach is gonna give you an "atta boy" and your GM will give you lots of money)

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What's the deal with ESPN+? Is it just them grabbing some games and paywalling them because gently caress you pay us? Like half their poo poo on the ESPN app on my Apple TV are behind the + paywall now it seems.

It really seems like it. ESPN+ is a big ripoff I don't want to mess with to watch hockey

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

grack posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the devastating, long-term effects of repeated head trauma.

Tom Wilson could fart in my dinner, tonight

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Levitate posted:

(but no Wilson does it on purpose because the consequences haven't been that bad until now and if you can kill a guy on the ice and get away with it your coach is gonna give you an "atta boy" and your GM will give you lots of money)

I'd love to see teams punished when they have players who are repeatedly suspended. I mean, it's never going to happen because the owners wouldn't allow it, but it might give a little more motivation to keep idiots like Wilson, Marchand or Torres reigned in.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Well yeah. But that’s because he has no other plans tonight.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

drat, DoPS got something right for once.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

grack posted:

I'd love to see teams punished when they have players who are repeatedly suspended. I mean, it's never going to happen because the owners wouldn't allow it, but it might give a little more motivation to keep idiots like Wilson, Marchand or Torres reigned in.

Well coaches can be fined or suspended for fights in the last 5 minutes of a game, can't they?

Or maybe it's just fined, I can't quite remember...the NHL can also fine a team for poo poo like when the Isles went crazy and gooned it up against the Penguins years back. In addition to Gillies and Martin being suspended, the Isles were fined $100k

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I still think they should lose the roster spot when they get a player suspended.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Call Your Grandma posted:

drat, DoPS got something right for once.

Hey the broken wheel of Justice can be right twice a season

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

Wonderllama posted:

Well yeah. But that’s because he has no other plans tonight.

He hasn't responded to my DMs yet

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Levitate posted:

Well coaches can be fined or suspended for fights in the last 5 minutes of a game, can't they?

Or maybe it's just fined, I can't quite remember...the NHL can also fine a team for poo poo like when the Isles went crazy and gooned it up against the Penguins years back. In addition to Gillies and Martin being suspended, the Isles were fined $100k

Teams can be fined for extraordinary circumstances, and coaches can be fined/suspended if the NHL thinks they're just sending players out to start fights, but those two situations rarely happen. Right now, a team loses the cap space of the suspended player for the duration of the suspension, and the salary is forfeited to an Emergency Relief fund run by the league. I just don't think that's enough.

I mean, you could take away the roster spot like ImplicitAssembler says, or start giving organizations fines for players who meet the repeat offender status when suspended. If Ted Leonisis got a bill to deal with Tom Wilson's stupidity, I pretty much guarantee it would be taken care of pretty quickly.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

grack posted:

Teams can be fined for extraordinary circumstances, and coaches can be fined/suspended if the NHL thinks they're just sending players out to start fights, but those two situations rarely happen. Right now, a team loses the cap space of the suspended player for the duration of the suspension, and the salary is forfeited to an Emergency Relief fund run by the league. I just don't think that's enough.

I mean, you could take away the roster spot like ImplicitAssembler says, or start giving organizations fines for players who meet the repeat offender status when suspended. If Ted Leonisis got a bill to deal with Tom Wilson's stupidity, I pretty much guarantee it would be taken care of pretty quickly.

Yeah I think I was just trying to say there's at least the seed of a path to punishing a team for the players actions, but yes I agree it's a tough sell unless the NHL/owners decide it's better to look like they're doing more to prevent concussions in order to avoid lawsuits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

spray fart

• Locked thread