Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Latest Episode

Next LP Vote!

http://www.strawpoll.me/16845475

About the Game

In December of 2017, the world looked bleak for Mega Man, ignored on his 30th anniversary, the little robot had not seen a game from Capcom in 8 years. His most recent release, Mega Man 10 had proven to be a commercial failure and in more recent years Capcom had undergone a change in focus, moving towards more successful properties such as Monster Hunter, which moved units in the order of millions rather than thousands.

The final nail in the coffin had come with the departure of Keiji Inafune, the series’ creator from Capcom in order to make a spiritual successor to Mega Man, Mighty No. 9. But the game was plagued with problems that were not resolved and ultimately it disappointed on release.

That is, until one fateful day when Capcom would prove they could still shock the world.

Mega Man 11, announced on the 4th of December 2017 is set to be a departure from its predecessors, favouring a 2D/3D style and adding in new systems for the Blue Bomber to take advantage of. It garnered a favourable reaction, with many welcoming the move away from the 8 bit graphics that defined the previous era of Mega Man games.

The game released on October the 2nd 2018 and us alongside many other fans were happy to pick it up.

About the LP

I, alongside my best friend and erstwhile colleague Yorkshire Tea, will be running a video LP of Mega Man 11. We will be doing a full clear of the game on normal (or casual if it’s too brutal) mode and checking out any extras and bonuses we find to be interesting.

We previously played Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10 earlier in the year (which you can find here!), critiquing the games from a modern perspective. Our LP of Mega Man 11 serves a similar purpose. Given our familiarity with its predecessors and the unique format of our presentation, we felt that capturing our own thoughts and comparing them to the reviews of the game on release would prove to be an interesting endeavour.

As the game is completely new, we’d appreciate that if you’ve sped ahead for us that you keep any comments about future bosses or stages in spoilers: Like this!

Voting!

As with our previous Mega Man LPs we want you to vote on boss order. However, in favour of ensuring episodes are released in a timely manner, we’re going to frontload our voting.

Please refer to the handy picture below for a list of all the bosses:

Would you all please assign 3 bosses as your favourites in the following format:

Your first pick will get 3 points, your second 2 points and your third pick 1 point.

Ahead of our first session we’ll tally up points and then go through the bosses from most popular to least.

E.g.
1. Block Man
2. Acid Man
3. Bounce Man

Beyond that if we find a good opportunity in the game for further voting we’ll be sure to bring it up!

:siren: There will be a gap between this thread opening and episode 1 to allow for voting :siren:

And that’s enough from me, so away we go!

Episodes

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

1. Torch Man
2. Tundra Man
3. Block Man

This is a pretty cool idea! I enjoyed MM11 and my favorite thing about it was the surreal feeling of playing and enjoying a completely new Mega Man game in 2018.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

1. Blast Man
2. Torch Man
3. Tundra Man

Suffer

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Should be a fun watch if the SotN LP was anything to judge by.

Let's start out with the 3 B's!

1. Blast Man
2. Bounce Man
3. Block Man

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

1. Torch Man
2. Tundra Man
3. Impact Man

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
1. Torch
2. Tundra
3. Impact

What's your policy on E-Tank usage going to be?

E: I did not mean to copy the post above me. I just delayed pressing submit.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
1. Acid
2. Torch
3. Fuse

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
1. Blast
2. Tundra
3. Bounce

I like over-the-top characters, screenwipe weapons and cute things.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Andrigaar posted:

What's your policy on E-Tank usage going to be?

E: I did not mean to copy the post above me. I just delayed pressing submit.

Broadly we won't limit ourselves from using systems within the game to play it. If it becomes apparent that they completely break the game to the point that it's not fun for us to play or you to watch we'll reconsider their use.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Lets go with:
1. Acid man
2. Blast man
3. Block man

Alphabetical.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

1. Acid Man because the music and colors are nice
2. Tundra Man because both the stage and boss are pretty
3. Impact Man because gently caress that stage in the buster breakdown challenge I like you :v:

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
1) Torch Man
1) Torch Man
1) Torch Man

3 way tie.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Oyster posted:

1) Torch Man
1) Torch Man
1) Torch Man

3 way tie.

I was gonna post this but I'll give a real answer since you beat me to it:

1. Torch Man
2. Fuse Man
3. Tundra Man

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

1. Acid Man because PISS ROOM IS REAL
um I don't care about the others I just wanted to make this joke, let's roll some dice...
2. Blast Man
3. Tundra Man

This should be a fun LP.

I haven't decided what I think of this game yet. I'm... really bad at it. I'm pretty sure I've only gotten as far as I have because it lets me keep the screws every time I die. (I'm not sure if it's just unfamiliarity/lack of practice, if this game is genuinely harder than previous entries, or if I'm just mixed up because I tend to play Megaman in emulation and the console controls switch which hand does what...)

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Should be a fun watch if the SotN LP was anything to judge by.

Let's start out with the 3 B's!

1. Blast Man
2. Bounce Man
3. Block Man

I like the way you think; I'm voting for this as well

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tundra Man is actually escaping the boundaries of his little box, clearly proving he has immense power that cannot be contained! Better avoid him for now.

Let's try some robots that look more friendly.

1. Bounce Man probably just wants to dance, and his friend will bring some
2. Acid, Man! It'll be a
3. Blast, Man!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Geeze, let's not make them suffer Torch Man or Acid Man as the first stage...

Difficulty talk: I honestly think the game is just strictly better in Casual mode rather than Normal mode. The stages are too long for the Normal mode checkpoints, and the points are often in bad places.

1. Impact Man
2. Bounce Man
3. Tundra Man

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 5, 2018

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
1. Bounce Man
2. Tundra Man
3. Wall Man

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

StoryTime posted:

Geeze, let's not make them suffer Torch Man or Acid Man as the first stage...

Difficulty talk: I honestly think the game is just strictly better in Casual mode rather than Normal mode. The stages are too long for the Normal mode checkpoints, and the points are often in bad places.

That's why I asked if they were going to be chugging E-Tanks or not the whole time. I'm running on the assumption at they'll at least be maxing out their lives between levels.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
good on you using the alternative vote

1. torch
2. tundra
3. fuse

and for shiggles, then:

bounce, impact, acid, block, blast

yes I did cheat to get this answer

all the mans are trash tho

peramene OUT

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

peramene posted:

1. torch
2. tundra
3. fuse

and for shiggles, then:

peramene OUT

She leads, I follow. Second all this.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Imma vote

1. Bounce man
2. Acid Man
3. Block Man.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

peramene posted:

1. torch
2. tundra
3. fuse

and for shiggles, then:

peramene OUT

Voting thus

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

1. Blast Man
2. Torch Man
3. Tundra Man

Suffer

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Hello hello everyone!

And now for your last day of voting update!

In last place we have Block Man with a pathetic 5 points
In 7th is Fuse Man with a mere 6 points
In 6th is Impact Man with a poor 8 points
In 5th is Acid Man with a reasonable 14 points
In 4th is Bounce Man with a fair 16 points
In 3rd is Blast Man with a respectable 20 points
In 2nd is Tundra Man with an amazing 23 points

In 1st place with an incredible 30 points is Torch man

There's still time on the vote for things to change! This determines boss order for the entire LP so if you want to see Block man somewhere else but last then get to voting! If you want to topple Torch man, then get your votes in!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 7, 2018

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
1. Bounce Man
2. Acid Man
3. Tundra Man

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Natural 20 posted:

Hello hello everyone!

And now for your last day of voting update!

In last place we have Block Man with a pathetic 5 points
In 7th is Fuse Man with a mere 6 points
In 6th is Impact Man with a poor 8 points
In 5th is Acid Man with a reasonable 14 points
In 4th is Block Man with a fair 16 points
In 3rd is Blast Man with a respectable 20 points
In 2nd is Tundra Man with an amazing 23 points

In 1st place with an incredible 30 points is Torch man

There's still time on the vote for things to change! This determines boss order for the entire LP so if you want to see Block man somewhere else but last then get to voting! If you want to topple Torch man, then get your votes in!

Uh oh, two Block Men??? (I'm guessing 4th place is actually Bounce Man?)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Uh oh, two Block Men??? (I'm guessing 4th place is actually Bounce Man?)

Looks like I suffered from a mental block!

:v:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Natural 20 posted:

Looks like I suffered from a mental block!

:v:

When that happens it can be good to have somebody to bounce ideas off of. :cheeky:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 01 - In For the Long Haul

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I'm the lady fellow scientist giving Wily the side-eye in that opening cutscene

like, she gets how tense budget meetings can be, but jeez, Todd* Al, you are definitely overreacting

*or whatever Wily's first name is

e: wait poo poo it's actually Albert? No wonder he's so grumpy, then :colbert:

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 8, 2018

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

The voice acting in the game is surprisingly good, especially considering that the last voice acted Classic Mega Man game was 8, which was a trash fire for voice acting. It helps that Mega Man doesn't sound like a literal child.

In other news, RIP Nat and Tea, dead to FIRE.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I was impressed by the voice acting overall too, even if most of what's actually getting said is very silly (though that's pretty par for the course with Megaman plots).

There's a really steep learning curve in this game, I think; I'm not sure why, but it feels a lot more brutal to learn compared to earlier games in the series (that said, I haven't played 10), and it took me a while to get used to using the gear system. That said, Torch Man's level is really brutal (though I think most of the stages have equally frustrating moments, Torch Man just has more of them overall).

Most of the special weapons are pretty good, and the parts you can buy from Auto are seriously overpowering, so the game gets a lot more manageable very quickly once you make a little progress and start amassing screws.

This is going to be fun :)

Edited to add: Oh, I almost forgot, the achievement you guys got was actually for shooting that shielding enemy in the back. There are a bunch of weird little achievements for things like that.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 9, 2018

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

There are things I never noticed while playing this but now that I'm watching someone else I got to say, I love the background during the midboss fight and I'm ashamed I didn't pay attention before, a bunch of Mettalls/Mettaurs happily sitting around a campfire while Mega Man is busy cooling off their dinner :allears:.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm starting to think Dr. Wily had a point from the beginning. Robots with free will and independent thought? That can't possibly go wrong!

All Wily wanted to do was create super effective automation so people could chill out and give the finger to the capitalist system. That has it's own potential can of worms depending on who you ask but at least it's not going to lead to SkynetSigma and the TerminatorMaverick revolution.

This game looks pretty tough but time will tell if it's as hard as Mega Man and Bass. And by that I mean if this one actually lets up, because I think it might already be harder.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shitenshi posted:

I'm starting to think Dr. Wily had a point from the beginning. Robots with free will and independent thought? That can't possibly go wrong!

All Wily wanted to do was create super effective automation so people could chill out and give the finger to the capitalist system. That has it's own potential can of worms depending on who you ask but at least it's not going to lead to SkynetSigma and the TerminatorMaverick revolution.

This game looks pretty tough but time will tell if it's as hard as Mega Man and Bass. And by that I mean if this one actually lets up, because I think it might already be harder.

Wily
Was
Wright

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

Excited to see this LP unfold. The 3d models were a turn off to me at first but seeing how fast the screen transitions are and the 60 fps has me reconsidering. The game looks very fun.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I didn't think Hollow Knight was that hard aside from like, optional superboss content.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ZeButler posted:

The voice acting in the game is surprisingly good, especially considering that the last voice acted Classic Mega Man game was 8, which was a trash fire for voice acting. It helps that Mega Man doesn't sound like a literal child.

In other news, RIP Nat and Tea, dead to FIRE.
That depends; do we count Mega Man Powered Up for PSP? That had voice acting, but it was a remake of MM1. The VA in that game was decent; it certainly wasn't MM8-tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Super quick aside: Dr. Wily was based on Albert Einstein, hence the hair and first name of Albert. Dr. Light was based on Thomas Edison.