Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:siren: Maple Story 2 is live now! :getin: :siren:
:siren: Join our Discord here! https://discord.gg/4tFZF9S:siren:
:siren: Download the game here! https://www.nexon.com/main/en:siren:
:siren:Maple Story 2 is also available on Steam, https://store.steampowered.com/app/560380/MapleStory_2 :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuQdyJC9IAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUx5bOxZclY

Maple Story 2 is a 3d, isometric Korean MMORPG developed by Nexon and published locally in North America and Europe by Nexon America.

When the game released in Korea 3 years ago, it had lots of problems, there was a lack of content, bugs, the grind was too steep, monetization was out of whack, and basically the game flopped. Nexon took a step back, listened to player complaints, and rolled out a series of patches a year later that have fixed the vast majority of issues with the game, and have turned it into quite an enjoyable little game.

In the global release, they've taken a page out of Maplestory's Reboot patch, and all things that are involved in the primary gameplay loop of getting stronger and doing dungeons and raids are no longer available for premium currency, they are either earned through play or through the regular currency dropped by all monsters and given in all quests (mesos). Some things like premium cosmetic items are still sold for premium currency, but there is nothing in the game now that requires you to open your wallet to proceed through content.

You can play with goons by joining our Discord here: https://discord.gg/4tFZF9S
Auth with GDN and :getin:

I'm running the primary guild on US East, the name of the guild is <MapleGoons>. If you want to join the guild you will need to be in the Discord, and pipe up with your character name so I can confirm that you aren't a rando just dropping a join request.

<LLJK> is another US East goon guild run by DarkestLite on the discord, depending on sustained interest it may become permanent if we don't get timely upgrades on guild size.

On US West there is <idgi>, run by someone awful. here on the forums. Ping them in the discord for an invite so they know you're not a random person submitting an invite.

This is a free to play MMO, so the Cash shop is a thing that exists. However, it is not like the infamous Nexon Cash Shop of yore, you will find no required for progression items here. Cash shop offerings consist solely of cosmetic items, some mounts, and some minor convenience items like slightly better instruments (can play 3 songs sequentially without interruption instead of playing one song on a loop, and needing you to stop/swap to play other music).

User Generated Content is a big thing in Maple Story 2, and features massively in the Cash shop. You can create cosmetic items off of templates and upload them in the game, and then sell them on the Cash shop for premium currency and get 30% of the take from the sale, what this means is if you are willing to create cosmetic items to sell, you can make hundreds of dollars worth of in game currency to use for whatever cosmetic items you want after a small investment to purchase templates to create the items for sale. You can edit the templates using out of game texture patterns, but you will need the templates on a character in game in order to check your design for accuracy and in order to actually place the items for sale.

In Maple Story 2 you can define your role by the class you pick, unlike OG Maple Story, there are no basic classes which upgrade into advanced classes, you can start as a Wizard and you will always be a Wizard, but your skill set is determined by what skills you take in the talent tree.

Archer

Shoot an apple off your head? Sure, I've done that trick a few times. It usually works out fine, and when it doesn't, well, he was thinking about getting that ear pierced anyway.

As a ranged DPS class, Archers are a powerful mid-range mobile class that excel at sustained damage and moving while fighting. They can fight several enemies at once with powerful AOE and crowd control abilities. However, Archers cannot handle close in fighting, and will die quickly if you don't keep range from your target.

Assassin

No, I don't know if we've met. Yes, I really can't remember anything. No, I'm pretty sure I don't owe you 50 Mesos. Yes, someone else already tried that.

A stealthy DPS class who uses dual wielded throwing weapons to deal damage at range. Assassins can hide in the shadows using their active abilities, and upon ambushing from the shadows can stun a target for several seconds. You have several debuff abilities that sap enemy HP and abilities, making enemies easier to take down, as well as strong ranged AOE skills to deal damage to multiple enemies at once. This class is the most powerful ranged DPS in a 1 on 1 encounter.

Berserker

My kind of Anger Management is thinking of some things before I jump into battle. My friends getting hurt, bullies insulting me, people that talk at a show...

A rage-fuelled tornado of destruction, Berserkers tear through waves of enemies with massive two handed swords and leave a trail of devastation in their wake. This class has extremely strong, high-damage, melee range AOE capabilities, and is fairly mobile. You have survivability/sustain in the Bloodlust ability which allows you to leech health from enemies you hit with it, and you have several self-buffs to increase your endurance while dealing extremely high damage to anything foolish enough to get close to you.
3 words: Spin To Win.

Heavy Gunner

The hardest part is knowing when to stop firing. Some people stop when they see the Mushroom drop. Others, when it stops moving. But I like grilled mushrooms, soooo...

An engineer with a massive fetish for big guns and explosions, you use the powers of :science: to decimate enemies at range, either shooting them with your chaingun, or blowing them up with an assortment of rocket launchers, grenades, and bombs. You can also summon a satellite to blast enemies from orbit for an extra stylish flair.

Knight

Stand fast, heroes, an enemy approaches! It looks like a... small wolf. With adorable eyes. No, stand fast! Do not approach- no, don't coo at the beast. Just... please stop petting it.

A noble, proud warrior who charges into battle to stop the rising tides of darkness in the world, you use your sword and shield to protect your party with several close range AOE buffs, and your extremely high defense and high HP. As the "tank" class, you can take hits that would put other classes in the dirt, and keep on fighting. You do not have a taunt though, so your main tanking abilities revolve around increasing the durability of your party with buffs and gathering up all of the enemies around you so your other party members can beat them down without exposing themselves to danger.

Priest

"Okay everyone, remember! Don't get too far away from me, follow the Knight's lead and please stay out of the fire. Stay out of the fire. Stay out of the fire! GET OUT OF THE F-"

A holy healer, you spread blessings to keep your allies alive and fighting fit. As the backbone of the raid, your party cannot survive without you. You can heal your allies as well as remove debuffs and curses, but you will catch the eye of every hungry monster looking to take down your party in a dungeon. Priests do not last long if they are attacked by monsters, and your party will need to work together to keep enemies off you in order to succeed in dungeons and raids.

Rune Blader

The most important part of mastering this is getting the runes just right. Every time someone tries to rush the Storm Sigil, they don't get it quite right and forget they're holding a metal sword!

The Runeblades of Terrun Calibre are the perfect marriage of melee combat and mystical might. On the hunt, chasing after a traitor to the order, the Runeblade will stop at nothing to take vengeance upon the vile Holstatt and avenge his teacher's heinous murder... but it will take the combination of Pelgian bladecraft and Jibrician rune magic to stop him. The Runeblade uses a powerful combination of heavy melee attacks and powerful elemental spells that become bolstered with the runes applied to the Runeblade's two-handed blade. Use the Flame Sigil to boost your health and make your Echoing Blade assault burn the opposition, or apply the Frost Sigil and harden your armor along with your weapons, causing the Impact attack to freeze the ground your foes fight on.

Thief

I rob from the rich and give to the poor! Most of it goes to the poor, anyway. After expenses, I mean, who doesn't have expenses, I need to be able to rob from the rich tomorrow too!

A nimble melee fighter with dual daggers who can steal Spirit from enemies to fuel their attacks, using multi-hit combos and poisoned blades to take down the largest of enemies with ease. Note: This class is currently the hardest class to play in game, not recommended if you're looking to play with anyone other than goons, as we don't care what you play honestly.

Wizard

I mean, technically everything is flammable eventually. Also, sorry about the drapes. And the rug. And the couch. And I'm pretty sure those eyebrows will grow back soon.

The Wizard is a magic user who uses the elements of fire, ice and lightning to crowd-control groups of enemies at range in order to aid their party in taking down their foes. They have multiple AoE and debuff abilities which will reduce the amount of enemies your party needs to fight at one time. They fare well in solo situations as well, using their blink teleport and their extremely high damage output to kill enemies before they get into melee range.

http://maplestory2guide.com - Pretty comprehensive guide on what there is to do in Maplestory 2, and how to do it, lots of good info here!
https://maplestory2.gamepedia.com/ - Official game wiki curated by Nexon. You will find a fair amount of good information here, but not always the most up to date.
https://www.reddit.com/r/maplestory2 - a hive of low effort memes and garbage posting, you know what to expect, it's reddit.
http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/ - The official Maple Story 2 forum, you can find patch notes and upcoming events info here.
https://musicalnexus.net/ - This is the hub for finding the Maple Beats software to create music sheets in the MML language in order to import them into Maple Story 2 and play them for other players. There is also an extensive library of user created music files which can simply be downloaded and imported into Maple Story 2 with no issue.

Life skills are skills that grant access to unique items and skins,

I'm going to quote wholesale from an Official Forum post from a mod of the Maplestory 2 forum, as it is much more in-depth than anything I have knowledge of, and explained very straightforwardly.

Lindely posted:

I've noticed the increasing amount of questions regarding the professions on the forums, and decided to write down a short explanation of the system to maybe make it easier to understand for people who are unfamiliar with it.

Life Skills as it stands right now in KMS2 are rather simple. You can do all of them on one character, you are not gated by the amount of professions you want to do. Each gathering profession is linked with a crafting profession as it provides the materials for it. Crafting professions also use materials provided with other gathering professions besides the main one, but a smaller amount and only to craft certain things.

Mining - Smithing
Ranching - Handicrafts
Foraging - Alchemy
Farming - Cooking

For the gathering professions, each material has its own "stamina" that you exhaust daily as you gather it (Success Rate of gathering, once you reach Success Rate: None, you can't gather any more of that material until the daily reset happens. It doesn't seem to fully be the case for Ranching and Farming, as those are only doable in housing plots, and success rate in your house and other houses is separate. So once you exhaust all the gathering attempts in your own house, you will still be able to do some in other houses you visit, but much less than in your own).
For the crafting professions, it's a limit of 1 000 crafts per day.

Mining and Foraging are the gathering professions that you do in the open world. In Life skill interface, when you select the node of your level, it will tell you which map it can be found on, as well as what materials you will receive. Pretty straightforward.

Ranching and Farming are the gathering professions that you do in-house. In order to do them, you just have to purchase corresponding nodes in the furnishing interface and place them down. New nodes are unlocked as you increase your gathering level.

Smithing is directly linked to Mining as it was mentioned above and is used to:
1. Refine materials obtained through mining (main leveling source).
2. Create various boosts for smithing and ranching (?).
3. Create gemstones and lumistones.
4. Create equipment (armor and weapons; temporary and permanent).
5. Create crystals for the gear transcendence.

Handicraft is directly linked to Ranching and is used to:
1. Refine materials obtained through ranching (main leveling source).
2. Create various boosts for handicraft and mining (?).
3. Create Music score sheets (5k; 20 uses).
4. Create equipment (accessory; combat and non-combat stats, temporary and permanent).
5. Create consumables to increase your defense.

Alchemy is directly linked to Foraging and is used to:
1. Refine materials obtained through foraging (main leveling source).
2. Create various boosts for alchemy and farming (?).
3. Create consumables to boost various stats.
4. Create Ground Mount Summoning Stone.
5. Create Air Mount Summoning Stone.
6. Create upgrading materials for lumistones.
7. Create a Gear Dye / Make-Up / Face Change / Skin Change / Hairstyle Voucher.
8. Create healing potions.

Cooking is directly linked to Farming and is used to:
1. Refine materials obtained through farming (main leveling source).
2. Create various boosts for cooking and foraging (?).
3. Create consumables to boost various stats.
4. Create health restoration food.
5. Create experience boost.

Keep in mind, this information is relevant for the current KMS2 version. I am not sure what changes the system went through and which exact version of it we will get in GMS2. Hope this information is helpful.

For the other life skills, Music and Fishing, you do not gain anything from those except for EXP (and items to sell for Mesos to vendors for fishing). High level fish however can be worth 1 million Mesos per fish, so there is a value proposition there, but it will take a decent amount of auto-fishing to get there unless you have a day to spend manually fishing.

As far as music, you can get something like this (probably better if you know what you're doing) going on if you can find enough people. (first attempt was technical difficulties and then we got it "right") the problem is the person doing the ensemble didn't bother to program volumes into all the tracks to preserve the intricacies of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1TCJbAzky8
This is a badly adapted song (too the gently caress loud, drowns out tracks)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ5sDjB74Xg
This is a well adapted song

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

<Reserved for Life Skills and other info>

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Any advice on a mouse/kb scheme? The default one puts all the attacks right below WASD. It’s kinda awkward to press during combat.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mill Village posted:

Any advice on a mouse/kb scheme? The default one puts all the attacks right below WASD. It’s kinda awkward to press during combat.

Best advice is to use a controller. I tried to use the keyboard and could never get the hang of it.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orange juche posted:

Best advice is to use a controller. I tried to use the keyboard and could never get the hang of it.

can't really overstate this, keyboard/mouse is fine but the controller makes everything so much better

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Is there anything like the crossbowman of yore? I mained that a looooong time ago.

Also is there hellgrind?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

add to op TIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8HIzGEbjRU

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
Let's not pussy foot around, this is why people are actually here.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

nescience posted:

That is impressive.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Is there anything like the crossbowman of yore? I mained that a looooong time ago.

Also is there hellgrind?

Archers for now, there's also heavy gunners if you want to shoot poo poo with a machine gun. As far as hell grind yes it exists once you hit high 60s in levels. 69-70 and each level after is 1.5x all the exp in all previous levels. Games been out 3 years in Korea, no-one has hit the cap of 99 yet.

That said there's tons of other stuff to do in game besides grind levels, life skills(gathering/crafting/fishing/musical performances), minigames, PvP, 10 man raids vs very tough bosses if that is your thing. There's also a very in depth housing system, think like being able to build a house in Minecraft.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

orange juche posted:

As far as hell grind yes it exists once you hit high 60s in levels. 69-70 and each level after is 1.5x all the exp in all previous levels. Games been out 3 years in Korea, no-one has hit the cap of 99 yet.
So going off of streamers and other information I've found, KMS2 Level cap is 99 and the current highest level is 93; at their current rate, it would take well until 2022 or longer before they hit 99. CMS2, however, has a Level cap of 70, but they are otherwise completely caught up on content compared to KMS2. General theory is that GMS2 is going to go with China's Level system as Korea's is a little messed up (as well as, apparently, irrelevant - I hear all content is unlocked at 60, with Gearscore being the only limiter) but even if we didn't, due to the aforementioned Gearscore, it doesn't seem like it would matter much?

For the record, I haven't played MS2 yet and am waiting for launch to poke at it, so I don't know what kind of AP/SP/Stat gains you're looking at for those levels, but streamers I've watched have definitely stressed that gearscore is the main progression in the game, to the point that any dedicated players will have alts specifically for the purpose of facilitating gaining more gearscore for their mains due to daily/weekly caps.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

a cat on an apple posted:

So going off of streamers and other information I've found, KMS2 Level cap is 99 and the current highest level is 93; at their current rate, it would take well until 2022 or longer before they hit 99. CMS2, however, has a Level cap of 70, but they are otherwise completely caught up on content compared to KMS2. General theory is that GMS2 is going to go with China's Level system as Korea's is a little messed up (as well as, apparently, irrelevant - I hear all content is unlocked at 60, with Gearscore being the only limiter) but even if we didn't, due to the aforementioned Gearscore, it doesn't seem like it would matter much?

For the record, I haven't played MS2 yet and am waiting for launch to poke at it, so I don't know what kind of AP/SP/Stat gains you're looking at for those levels, but streamers I've watched have definitely stressed that gearscore is the main progression in the game, to the point that any dedicated players will have alts specifically for the purpose of facilitating gaining more gearscore for their mains due to daily/weekly caps.

Yeah, all drops are tradeable one time per item, and each alt has their own dungeon/raid queue limit, so you can run several alts and get several hundred chances at loot you want a week.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

nescience posted:

I found Megumin yesterday. She was too low leveled for EXPLOSIONS but she helped me kill an Elite with her Fire magic. :3:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Avoiding the weeaboo bullshit, this game actually exceeded my expectations. I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The game is insanely cute, I rode a minecart chasing someone and my character's eyes got all googly, it was neat.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I like that there's a little window that shows your character's current expression so you can see what goofy faces they're making.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

orange juche posted:

The game is insanely cute, I rode a minecart chasing someone and my character's eyes got all googly, it was neat.

There is a scene during a Perion ritual where your character starts flapping his/her arms while holding paper fans and making faces.

Leveling to 50 was very fast following quest lines. I feel like, for grind purposes, fighting regular enemies is a mistake. Casual play for a total of ten or eleven hours was 1-50 easy.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

How much strategy is there in this game? Is it ultra simple or is there something meat to it?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Sundae posted:

Leveling to 50 was very fast following quest lines. I feel like, for grind purposes, fighting regular enemies is a mistake. Casual play for a total of ten or eleven hours was 1-50 easy.

Once you’ve done it once, skipping cut scenes and such will let you do it in like 6-7 hours for 1-50.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Sundae posted:

There is a scene during a Perion ritual where your character starts flapping his/her arms while holding paper fans and making faces.

That's the possessed fan dance, you can get it as an emote if you stand in lava for 1 minute (cumulative, thankfully).

Ehud posted:

How much strategy is there in this game? Is it ultra simple or is there something meat to it?

Class mechanics in general are pretty simplistic and mostly rely on spamming a couple of specific skills, but end-game wise the bosses definitely require some fight knowledge and reactions. If you screw up too much and your pots are on cooldown, or if you're a particularly squishy class and stand in a telegraphed boss attack, you're probably gonna die. I hear the hard dungeons/raids require even more coordination but I have not done them yet.

Personally, I don't mind the simplicity of most of the classes since you often have to run around and dodge/do fight mechanics plenty anyway so there's a fair amount of optimization insofar as keeping your damage up while doing the fight.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Sundae posted:

Avoiding the weeaboo bullshit

*slowly looking from this post to literally any maplestory artwork* uhhh, if you say so.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ehud posted:

Not that much meat, but plenty for casual play. Bosses are mostly telegraphed for their attacks and you do dodge-and-hit stuff with them. Monster grinding is more a game of kiting and herding for AoE. There is more variety in the attack types than the original game and it's more than just timing your potions. Not a ton to it, but good if you're just in it to gently caress around and kill adorable little sheep. No idea on the high-end dungeons, though.

quote:

*slowly looking from this post to literally any maplestory artwork* uhhh, if you say so.

The best way, I've found, is to be very, very selective on who you play with. Our guild is pretty much nothing but RL friends so we haven't had to deal with many dipshits yet, apart from rolling our eyes at the surprising number of people with UGC "MAGA" hats and Pepe shirts in Tria.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I just watched five people fighting a raid boss (?), and it took them 10 minutes to get it to 75%. 10 minutes is no hyperbole. I turned off the stream, so can't say if they made it, and in what time frame.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mike12345 posted:

I just watched five people fighting a raid boss (?), and it took them 10 minutes to get it to 75%. 10 minutes is no hyperbole. I turned off the stream, so can't say if they made it, and in what time frame.

Yeah the bosses for the raids are pretty beefy. Mechanically I'm not sure if they're any harder than than the dungeon bosses but it requires a lot of up time on dps to kill the bosses.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

OP says this is free to play but I can't find it anywhere that isn't asking for money.

e: the download link in the OP doesn't work either.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 9, 2018

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's gonna go free to play when it launches on the 10th

right now for early access and a bunch of bundles you gotta pay at least 30$ but just wait another day imo

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Asema posted:

it's gonna go free to play when it launches on the 10th

right now for early access and a bunch of bundles you gotta pay at least 30$ but just wait another day imo

Oh cool, yeah I will just wait.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mike12345 posted:

I'm going to guess it's one of the elite dungeon bosses, but I haven't tried any of those yet. ~10 minutes total fight time has been about standard for the regular world boss spawns once everyone converges on it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I was watching a group fighting the raid boss, the entire fight looked to be about 20ish minutes, but I think that’s the extreme end of things, and I don’t know what their gear looked like. I can’t imagine dungeon bosses will take even half that if you know what to do.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I was watching a group fighting the raid boss, the entire fight looked to be about 20ish minutes, but I think that�s the extreme end of things, and I don�t know what their gear looked like. I can�t imagine dungeon bosses will take even half that if you know what to do.

I'd imagine if it was on KMS they were well geared, but if it's GMS2, they're probably partially geared and barely clearing the ilvl check to get in the door.

Dungeon bosses so far have been really simple tank/spank with some pattern recognition to avoid AOEs and telegraphed hits, I don't see that changing too much.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
So I tried to do some research but haven't found much useful info: How accessible are mounts for F2P users? My impression has been F2P basically only misses out on cosmetics, with Premium being a negligible benefit, but I haven't been able to find any information at all on F2P-accessible mounts outside of a Ducky, and a lot of associated references to mount speeds in KMS2 where all of the paid mounts are significantly faster than the free mounts.

With the flexibility of UGC I don't think I could stop myself from diving into the cosmetic endgame, but I would much rather wait a little bit before throwing down given Nexon's track record. The relevance of the Unicorn strikes me as the only part of the Founder pack that could sway me to purchase NX early.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

a cat on an apple posted:

So I tried to do some research but haven't found much useful info: How accessible are mounts for F2P users? My impression has been F2P basically only misses out on cosmetics, with Premium being a negligible benefit, but I haven't been able to find any information at all on F2P-accessible mounts outside of a Ducky, and a lot of associated references to mount speeds in KMS2 where all of the paid mounts are significantly faster than the free mounts.

With the flexibility of UGC I don't think I could stop myself from diving into the cosmetic endgame, but I would much rather wait a little bit before throwing down given Nexon's track record. The relevance of the Unicorn strikes me as the only part of the Founder pack that could sway me to purchase NX early.

Functional mounts are not hard to get. The highest end mounts are locked behind achievements which cannot be short cut with money. You get an offer for a 499 blue meret pack with an exclusive very fast flying mount, a cosmetic item, and something else I can't remember at 10 hours of play which is widely accepted as a good deal because it's effectively meret neutral, as you get 500 red merets in the pack which are usable 1:1 for anything that matters in game.

KMS is not a good reference for the cash shop, because Korean players rejected the game partly because of the cash shop monetization and pay to win. Nexon America has stated repeatedly that the cash shop is going to not offer significant advantages over free players, and will only contain things that are cosmetic or are close to free. Premium Club is 450 ($4.50 USD) merets a month and can be paid in either blue or red merets, red merets can be earned through in game things, so you can get even the "subscription" for just playing the game.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 10, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

This is the content you are missing by not playing this game

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I'll probably give this a try. I checked out the beta briefly and it was alright. How fun is Priest/Knight when not partying/raiding?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Demicol posted:

I'll probably give this a try. I checked out the beta briefly and it was alright. How fun is Priest/Knight when not partying/raiding?

Priest is... agony because your DPS is poor, you win fights via attrition of not being able to die, though even with a single other person in your party you become a powerhouse of being able to kill poo poo that would be super difficult for the other player solo, because they're now invincible. Knight is serviceable, but not super fast. Balance is in a bit of a wonky spot right now, it needs a pass, and IIRC our classes are not balanced like the ones on Korea or China's MS2. We're a couple balance passes back for some reason. Hop in the discord and hang out, we don't bite.

Server down for maintenance, will be back up in 5 hours. Once it comes back up the game will be free to download and play for anyone interested.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 10, 2018

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
What classes has everyone tried so far?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

orange juche posted:

Server down for maintenance, will be back up in 5 hours. Once it comes back up the game will be free to download and play for anyone interested.

I'll probably check it out tomorrow night.

How is class interdependence? If I'm gonna play mostly in a trio, should one of us go Priest?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ehud posted:

I'll probably check it out tomorrow night.

How is class interdependence? If I'm gonna play mostly in a trio, should one of us go Priest?

Priest is always beneficial. The game does have the holy trinity of dps-tank-healer as a thing, but all content besides specific dungeons are survivable without one. Note just because you can avoid bringing a priest doesn't mean you should, because a poor run will cost you hundreds of potions in the party that a priest could have mitigated.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

orange juche posted:

Priest is always beneficial. The game does have the holy trinity of dps-tank-healer as a thing, but all content besides specific dungeons are survivable without one. Note just because you can avoid bringing a priest doesn't mean you should, because a poor run will cost you hundreds of potions in the party that a priest could have mitigated.

That helps, thanks. I like healing so I'll probably fill that role in our group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
As an avid anime-hater this game is shockingly really fun so far, aside from the creepy Waifu house someone built in the main town.

I've been playing Wizard and loving it -- massive AoE and beefy damage. I'm only level 17 and don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing besides the main story but I figure I'll get to all the side/crafting stuff later.

After trying all the control schemes, I actually settled on keyboard only. I have macros bound to Q/W/E/R, and basic hotkeys on 1-8, ASDF, and 1/2/3/0 on the number pad. It took a bit to adjust to but I'm actually finding it the best option out of everything.