Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I solved the rampant disconnects by using a VPN. Now the game hangs when I spike but doesn't outright kick me from the server, it just takes a while to get back to where it should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018

orange juche posted:

I hid it because its full, and I wasn't getting straight answers about who was cold applying to the guild. Everyone in the guild currently can invite people, but you're going to have to check in the discord. Make sure you're authed first because you never authed properly the first time.

Whoops never used Discord for any auth stuff before, lost a bit in all the tabs, worked now thx

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Stand Alone Client vs Steam Client: Does it matter? Like, I found out the hard way that the Steam Client for DFO is A Bad Choice, because you'll pretty much never be able to purchase things from the cash shop. I don't want to make that mistake again...

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
is runeblade boring or is this game just not for me?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

802.11weed posted:

is runeblade boring or is this game just not for me?

Runeblade is boring play Wizard.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
This game is pretty weird guys.

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
Took a gunner to 10 and thought the combat was boring. Took an assassin to 10 and now I think it owns. So if the game doesn't feel right try a different class and you might feel differently! Hope this helps someone

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

MapleStory 2's UGC system is the best.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

MapleStory 2's UGC system is the best.

oh my god

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Does Runeblade ever pick up? I got mine to 25 today and I'm still just basically spamming the same button I got at lvl 1 and casting my buff once every three minutes. It's a good button but I feel like I lose DPS hitting any other buttons...

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

jokes posted:

Runeblade is boring play Wizard.

ya know, wizard was my first choice but i heard it was easy, and early in the quest line i beat up the rival but then the lore told me i had lost and that just ain’t right

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

802.11weed posted:

ya know, wizard was my first choice but i heard it was easy, and early in the quest line i beat up the rival but then the lore told me i had lost and that just ain’t right

The early parts of the story have a few fights where they just sort of decide that you lost yeah.

on that note the story is completely incomprehensible to me. I feel like the entire thing is one tangent leading to another tangent and then I fought some devils? I have no idea what's going on.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

intro cinematic is the worst thing in the game

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

MrTheDevious posted:

This game is pretty weird guys.

will the game install faster if I shout at the screen

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

802.11weed posted:

Of the two prologues I've played, Wizard was the better one too, sadly; stupid loss to your horrible "rival" aside, it was kind of funny and it set up the later story stuff with your character being abnormally powerful and whatnot, whereas the Knight one is just incomprehensible nonsense. Your commander is a worthless rear end in a top hat and after nearly bullying another kid to death he's kicking you out for trying to stop him, except he isn't and it was a test, except actually he is and only his boss dude showing up saved you, but it's okay because rear end in a top hat is only being an rear end in a top hat because of some bad past experience that's implied to involve friends dying because someone was too soft and wanting to avoid that is why it's okay for him to try to push recruits to the brink of death and deny them medical treatment? gently caress if I know. Also, while the Maplestory mix of fantasy and modern stuff is a thing, in that particular story the mix of ,odern gym equipment and clothing with medieval knight stuff looked extremely silly and incongruous.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 18, 2018

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

it's a fad in Korea

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

mistaya posted:

Does Runeblade ever pick up? I got mine to 25 today and I'm still just basically spamming the same button I got at lvl 1 and casting my buff once every three minutes. It's a good button but I feel like I lose DPS hitting any other buttons...

It's a simple game. From what I've read even the classes with multiple skill rotations just end up macroing them into one button at end game.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

The game got a lot better for me when I decided the story was bad and started skipping it.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

Stand Alone Client vs Steam Client: Does it matter? Like, I found out the hard way that the Steam Client for DFO is A Bad Choice, because you'll pretty much never be able to purchase things from the cash shop. I don't want to make that mistake again...

No difference. When you first fire the game up through the Steam client you'll be asked to link your Nexon account to your steam account.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels like the story is completely unhinged; 3/4 of the plot quests being 'go find this guy, click on him and watch a cutscene' don't help but like I am not sure exactly how or why I got from trying to track down mysterious masked guy to using robot suit to fight demons to wandering through elf land participating in Mean Girls drama.

EDIT: All I want is to be the right level for the next fishing spot!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm not even sure why we were following the masked guy in the first place. My character just has raging, untreated adhd

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

purple death ray posted:

I'm not even sure why we were following the masked guy in the first place. My character just has raging, untreated adhd

Archers at least have some vague degree of reason to.

Only 35 so I'm not finished with the story, I'm curious if that ever gets tied up.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I think the masked guy killed some important dude so you want to find him but then uhhhhh stuff happens idk

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Let's see, what I remember of the plot...

There's some evil person who is implied to think that they have a good motive for their actions, who unleashed the darkness or whatever on the land. They lead some more evil people who generally have no excuses and are just complete monsters and assholes; this includes the woman who summons a dragon at you in the post-prologue tutorial-y stuff.

There is also you. You are special in some way that I have yet to learn, but among other things you are a death machine. Your class prologue stuff also has some characters who will probably matter in the story at some point.

Early on you are sent to investigate a dude. This dude was killed by a ninjajanitor or something. He was also the boss of some company or organization? Or am I mixing him up with the other guy you learn is dead in that same short window? Either way, the death of said company boss, who is/was also a big hero dude or something, is being blamed on John Lennon, who is also a ninjajanitor, but was actually almost definitely the plan of the guy who took over after the guy's death instead. Despite this being so obvious that your idiot character comments on it, you still work with the obvious bad guy and chase down Lennon until you catch him and he ninjasjanitors your rear end unconcious. Then you go do other stuff.

At some point or other, you get involved in trying to stop the evil dudes from killing the other big heroes. As far as I've seen, you never succeed. Also at some point the evil girl who summoned a dragon on you summons demons to attack a city, which you fight with the help of the evil guy who totally killed his old boss, despite him also having killed at least one hero, so I don't know if he's secretly working with them or if him killing a hero dude as well was just a coincidence.

During all this you also fight various lesser evil groups, some of which are directly or indirectly related to the main bad guys and their hero-murder plan, and others who are just jerks I think. I dunno, it's kind of all over the place.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I like how the evil chick who summons the dragon will almost certainly show up at some point later on in the game as a big reveal ("Dont you realize, fool, that this whole time it was me!") and when she does I will have literally no idea who she is.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Did Maplestory 1 even have a good story? I never paid attention to it. The themed areas with not-power rangers or the mega-mall at level 30 were super cool. I'm not sure if I could get into MS2's art style, but I said the same thing about MS1 as someone who hates anime looking things.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

buglord posted:

Did Maplestory 1 even have a good story? I never paid attention to it. The themed areas with not-power rangers or the mega-mall at level 30 were super cool. I'm not sure if I could get into MS2's art style, but I said the same thing about MS1 as someone who hates anime looking things.

Maplestory 1 didn't even have a story IIRC, as in period. There was the Black Mage who was set up as the big bad post Big Bang patch but there was no actual story beat behind it other than them saying "He's bad and the reason all the zones are different".

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

How do you make a game with no story but have the word story in the title.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

orange juche posted:

Maplestory 1 didn't even have a story IIRC, as in period. There was the Black Mage who was set up as the big bad post Big Bang patch but there was no actual story beat behind it other than them saying "He's bad and the reason all the zones are different".

the black mage is a hero in my book since he destroyed the insane korean-MMO grind.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

buglord posted:

the black mage is a hero in my book since he destroyed the insane korean-MMO grind.

In this game he said something about saving the world so he might be the real hero here too.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this halloween pumpkin thing has turned the channel chats into pure unfiltered hell

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Roland Jones posted:

See, this is exactly what I thought was happening but my brain keeps rebelling because it's so incredibly nonsensical that I thought I was missing major plot points that clearly don't exist.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
How does one get to the purple-shaded areas of the map, like Kabrium Basin and Picardiv? Some of the zones are below my current level so I figured I should already have managed to get there, but I can't seem to find out how or find the answer to that and it's driving me nuts

I mean, save for just using a Rotor Air Taxi.

EDIT: Nevermind I'm dumb, you just go through the Shadow Gate in the map literally called Shadow Gate.

Beeme fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 18, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mistaya posted:

See, this is exactly what I thought was happening but my brain keeps rebelling because it's so incredibly nonsensical that I thought I was missing major plot points that clearly don't exist.

I feel like I have to be forgetting something too, but yeah, I think the main plot is basically trying and failing to stop the bad guy from murking all the heroes, plus sometimes successfully stopping some other bad things from happening. It's just that the particular means each particular hero is being attacked and stuff is completely different and often makes use of localized problems, and other than "try to keep hero alive" there are pretty much no unifying elements, so it comes across as completely incoherent. It's really silly even if you do pay attention.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think they realized their playerbase doesn't actively give a poo poo about whatever story they put in

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

"Oh Hastert, why?"

(Hastert is silent. Forever.)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i pressed X through everything as fast as I could

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

eonwe posted:

i pressed X through everything as fast as I could

Did you get your fire dragon loot today?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I followed the plot specifically for Joddy. His voice actor speaks to me in a way nobody ever has since the last time I was at a drive-through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sundae posted:

I followed the plot specifically for Joddy. His voice actor speaks to me in a way nobody ever has since the last time I was at a drive-through.

Oh... uhm hummm umum wouldya like fries with that uhhh