Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
  • Post
  • Reply
GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"




Shadows over the Reikland - Geiselbrück
Ambiance
In mid the month of Kaldezeit the leaves have begun to turn, the subtle cool of fading climes as the Chillmonth earns its namesake; with harvest passed and the bulwark of brews now serving to bolster hearthside reverie. Gray skies hang over the men and women of the Reikland as the days grow ever shorter and the nights ever darker. Shadows loom long--and with such, the need to stoke the kindled embers of spirited folk is of all the more import.

We find ourselves in Geiselbrück, a dreary village of dour name affording passage over a tributary of the River Teufel; a faint mist lingers about the periphery of a muddy cobblestone road winding through the village center as a light rainfall drizzles down, pattering off-kilter tempos against shingled rooftops and awnings. Surrounded by the Reikwald, the folk of Geiselbrück ply a plodding trade--but for most, it serves as little more than a resting place en route to greater destinations.

Standing over the bridge into Geiselbrück is the Merry Yeoman, faded paint flecked off of a sign depicting a fellow with an impressive beard surrounded by silver coins. It is mid-day, with chill enough in the air to drive most folk indoors for a spell. Outside, a few errant farmers and tradesfolk attend to errands in spite of the inclement weather--but a dozen or more have clustered within the shelter of the roadside inn with more arriving by the moment, eager to see the recently arrived entertainer therein. Erika Laut may not be famous--but the prospect of an actual performance in dreary days alone was enough to entice a fair share of villagers from their homes.

In this, Geiselbrück was but one stop among several, so far as Friedrich Stoffer was concerned; accompanied by Erika and Harold Weiss, the broader purpose at hand was a small parcel wrapped in waxed linen and tightly bound--roughly the size of a loaf of bread. A Hermann Ahrendt awaited its delivery in Eisenstadt, a few stops hence from the village; four silver shillings had been rendered in payment, with the promise of a further six upon successful delivery.

Within the Merry Yeoman, one table aside was shared by old acquaintances and new; Sister Thekla had crossed paths with Karl when both had headed to Geiselbrück--while the Ulrican had found a traveling companion and font of conversation and debate in one Elise Gottfield. With a pitcher of beer and warm bread and soup at hand, the trio had a good angle on the entertainment and barkeep alike. Stoked flames swell in a crackling hearth set into the back wall of the inn as a soot-clung fellow feeds another log into the fire with a shove; nearby, the clamor of conversation grows a measure along with the shifting shuffle of chairs and tables as villagers claim seats. Rosamunde Echstein, finding reprieve from the road and cover from the rain, caught glimpse of the familiar faces of Sister Thekla and Elise from the doorway--serendipity after the chilly soak she'd received reaching Geiselbrück.

Treading past a curve of muddy, winding country road--Gottfried Schäfer and Dietmar Riehl could spy the low bridge leading into Geiselbrück ahead as the rain redoubles its harrying of the men; Gottfried had been beckoned in pursuit of rumored murmurs of fell beings lurking in this region of the Reikwald, with a need for the aid of good Sigmarites in Eisenstadt. Ahead, the tributary waters had risen to burble over a low slope to one side of the bridge's foundation--where a muddy, haggard looking man squats rinsing a wooden bowl before casting a curious look at the duo's approach to the village. Past the span, the pair can see villagers filtering to a roadside inn as smoke wafts steadily from its chimney.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at Oct 7, 2018 around 20:48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"



Dietmar Riehl, the Flagellant, played by chin up everything sucks
Karl, the Rat Catcher, played by Piell
Sister Thekla, the Initiate of Ulric, played by Mors Rattus
Erika Laut, the Entertainer, played by Tricky
Gottfried Schäfer, the Witch Hunter, played by Izzy
Rosamunde Echstein, the Duelist, played by Dachshundofdoom
Elise Gottfield, the Scholar, played by Sion
Friedrich Stoffer, the Smuggler, played by professor_curly
Harold Weiss, the Thief, played by John Dyne

You can also have a look at the Party Sheet, courtesy of Piell. Thank you, Piell!


You can join our band of brave souls on this grim and perilous journey via Discord, if so inclined--right here, as a matter of fact.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012




Dietmar Riehl

Rain slides down bare scalp to touch a circlet of metal, where it rested just long enough to gather into large drops that splash down onto the young mans face and ears. Not that it seemed to bother him, so endured he was to the discomfort of the elements. The rain had at least washed away most of the normal grime that caked the young mans skin and clothing, leaving him looking, if not respectable, at least no worse off than a poor peddler might be - though the strange metal piercings and the metal circlet tethered to chains make it obvious that he isn't a peddler.

"This place looks nice. Reminds me of home, except it's less run down. Everyone out here seems to be so rich, so secure in their safety. I don't know how they can be so ignorant of the dark things that hide in the woods and fields and under the ground..." Dietmar mumbles to himself as he follows the witch hunter over the bridge. "Do you think they will let me inside this time, Gottfried?"

pre:
Name: Dietmar Riehl
Species: Human
Class: Ranger
Career: Zealot
Available XP: 145
Spent XP: 100

	WS  BS   S   T   I  Agi  Dex  Int  WP  Fel   Fate  Resilience   Movement  Wounds
base	30  31  29  27  29  31   34    25  32   38    2         4           4	    12
adv	        +1  +3  +1
total	30  31  30  30  30  31   34    25  32   38    2 	4	    4	    12



Skills: 
Animal Care = 0
Charm = 0
Cool = 3
Dodge = 10
Endurance = 10
Evaluate = 0
Gossip = 0
Haggle = 0
Heal = 3
Intimidate = 10
Intuition = 3
Language (Bretonnian) = 0
Language (Wastelander) = 0
Leadership = 0
Lore (Reikland) = 0
Lore (Sigmar) = 5
Melee (Basic) = 5
Melee (Flail) = 10
Outdoor Survival = 5
Ranged (Bow) = 0

Talents: 
Doomed - Die when "The Gods watch over thy end" for new character to start with half of this characters total XP
Suave - +5 Fel that does not count as advancements
Luck - Fortune Points = Fate + 1
Flee! - Athletics test to get +1 movement point when Fleeing
Strong Legs - +1 SL in any Athletics Tests involving Leaping .
Berserk Charge - +1 melee damage when charging
Stone Soup - Go longer without food before penalties

Trappings: Flail, Tattered robes, Cloak, Clothing, Dagger, Pouch, Backpack containing Tinderbox, Blanket, Rations (1 day)

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at Nov 12, 2018 around 18:36

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."



Elise Gottfield

Gosh, there was so much to talk about. So much to debate over! So many great and learned partners to talk things over with. The howling, the philosophical debate about Sigmar's true nature. All of it. All of it could be spoken about at great length, and at increasing volume as the night went on but, for now, there were far more serious matters to attend to. Elise leant forwards with an elbow on the table, her cuff barely inches from the broth in her bowl.

"'s is everything that's wrong with t' south summed up in one nice package, really," she said. "It's a softness they've let creep int'a everyday life an' I say it without big-talk or hyperbole that unless they all mend their ways, it'll be the doom of the lot of 'em."

Elise spoke with a certainty that could only come from someone with just enough book-learning to be dangerous, but not enough book-learning to be useful. She took a pull from her pint, stopped, reached into her robes and pulled out a leather-and-metal flask. She poured in some amber.

"I'm tellin' ya. 'S milk first, then you pour in the tea. Anything else is an afront."

The important things. She perked, seeing Rosamunde over at the door. "Oh! Oh, it's- it's- what's her face? Wave her over!"

pre:
Elise Gottfield, Female Human Scholar. 40xp.

	WS  BS   S   T   I  Agi  Dex  Int  WP  Fel   Fate  Resilience   Movement  Wounds
base	33  29  40  31  34  33   32    29  36   26    2         1           4	    15
adv		  		       +4  +5	      1		2
total	33  29  40  31  34  33   32    33  41   26    3 	3	    4	    15

Skills:
Human (Bretonnian): 
Animal Care, Charm, Cool +3, Evaluate +5, Gossip +5, Haggle +5, Language (Bretonnian) +3, 
Language (Wastelander), Leadership +3, Lore (Reikland) +5, Melee (Basic) +5, Ranged (Bow)

Student:
Consume Alcohol +5, Entertain (Storytelling) +5, Gamble +5, Language (Classical) +5, Lore (Bretonnian) +5, Research +5

Talents:
Doomed - "Thy doom is wrought from violence."
Savvy - +5 int, doesn't count vs advances
Hardy - +3 wounds
Pure Soul - lets you incur additional corruption points
Very Strong - +5 to S, doesn't count vs advances.
Read/Write - Lets me read and write. 

Trappings:
Clothing, Dagger, Pouch, Sling Bag containing Writing Kit and 1d10 sheets of Parchment
Alcohol, Book, Opinions, Writing Kit.

Advances:
+2 Int
+2 WP

Appearance and Background
30 years old, 5'3", 120 lbs with corn colored hair, and blue eyes. She has a curious smell about her.
She has three siblings, one sister and two brothers.
She was born under The Drummer, the sign of Excess and Hedonism.
She's a Nordlander, born and raised on a cattle farm.

Sion fucked around with this message at Nov 9, 2018 around 10:46

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018



Sister Thekla

Thekla nods. "It's the heat, I've always said it. They grow up without knowing the bite of winter. The cold draws in strength, makes you tough." Thekla has been enjoying Elise's company. While the scholar is still not Ulrican, she is Nordland, and that matters. (That Thekla was born in Reikland has never mattered; she is Nordlandic in her soul.) Her own certainty is drawn less from books, which she took to somewhat half-heartedly, and more from sheer family conviction. (The books will come out later, when she has to shout about theology. On matters of folk wisdom, family comes first.)

"Of course, we only ever had it on holidays as a special treat. I've heard that in the far south, they even refuse to touch the leaves directly - they them in cloth! Shameful."

Thekla turns, looking over as Elise points.

"Ah, Rosamunde, wasn't it! Get over here, woman, we have drinks!"

quote:

Sister Thekla, Initiate of Ulric
Motivation: Extremely Ulrican

Short-Term Ambition: Befriend a Knight of the White Wolf and learn to fight better.
Long-Term Ambition: Raise the Nordlander Ulricans to the leadership of the Cult of Ulric.
XP: 190 (Spent: 175)

Weapon Skill: 35
Ballistic Skill: 22
Strength: 30
Toughness: 35 (+3)
Initiative: 26
Agility: 33 (+3)
Dexterity: 25
Intelligence: 32
Willpower: 40 (+2)
Fellowship: 35
Wounds: 16
Fate: 3
Resilience: 3
Movement: 4

Skills: Athletics 5, Charm 5, Cool 5, Endurance 5, Gossip 3, Intuiton 5, Leadership 3, Lore (Reikland) 3, Lore (Theology) 5, Perception 5, Pray 10, Melee (Basic) 5, Research 5
Talents: Doomed, Suave, Hardy, Ambidextrous, Animal Affinity, Read/Write, Bless (Ulric)
Trappings: Clothing, dagger, pouch, sling bag (Writing Kit, 7 sheets of parchment), religious symbol of Ulric, robes, 7p

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at Nov 5, 2018 around 21:09

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rosamunde Echstein

Rosamunde's expression brightens noticeably once she realizes she won't be drinking alone while she waits out this miserable weather.

"Well, if it isn't Sister Thekla and Elise! What a sight for sore eyes!"

She gratefully takes a seat, pausing only to leave her dripping coat by the fire (and within line of sight, of course; can't trust anyone these days). She waves to the barkeep and indicates that she wants the same thing her companions are having, then turns her attention to them.

"So, what brings you to this part of the world? I've been chasing gossip of skilled duelists headed this way, but it's all been a wild goose chase so far."

quote:

Name: Rosamunde Echstein
Species: Human
Class: Courtier
Career: Duelist (Fencer-Silver 3)

Age: 20
Height: 5'9"
Hair: Red
Eyes: Green

XP: 125 (Spent: 90/215)

Weapon Skill: 33
Ballistic Skill: 45
Strength: 30
Toughness: 31
Initiative: 30 (+3)
Agility: 30 (+2)
Dexterity: 36
Intelligence: 30
Willpower: 27
Fellowship: 34
Wounds: 11 (+3 Hardy)
Fate: 3
Resilience: 3
Movement: 4

Motivation: Hotheaded Braggart (Rosamunde cannot resist rising to a challenge, even a perceived one, and is equally quick to challenge others when her pride is wounded).

Short-Term Ambition: Force a more famous duelist to admit defeat in a public bout. Preferably Sebastien, but he could be anywhere by now.

Long-Term Ambition: To open her own successful dueling school.

Skills: Animal Care +3, Athletics +5, Dodge +10, Cool +5, Endurance +5, Haggle +5, Heal +4, Intuition +5, Language (Classical) +5, Melee (Basic) +3, Melee (Rapier) +10, Perception +5, Ranged (Bow) +5
Talents: Doomed, Hardy, Marksman, Pure Soul, Step Aside, Suave
Trappings: Rapier, Dagger, Leather Jack, Leather Skullcap, Courtly Garb, Pouch (Tweezers, Ear Pick, Comb), Sling Bag (Clothing, 2 Bandages), 4 Silver Shillings

XP Expenditures (90/215):

Language (Classical) +5-50
Heal +4-40

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at Oct 19, 2018 around 00:57

Piell
Sep 3, 2006




Karl

Lefty
Karl enjoyed the company even, if he didn't have the strength of opinions that his companions did. He'd always found it best to take life as it came, and worrying about how other people lived their lives wasn't his problem, most of the time. Still, it was good to see an old friend and to make new ones, and it seemed as if he was meeting the second of the day.

"Why hello there, friend of my friend! I'm Karl, an old neighbor of Thekl's - how do the two of you know each other?"

Lefty had perked up a bit a the approach of a stranger, but settled back down at Karl's feet upon hearing his friendly tone.

pre:
Name: Karl
Age: 23
Height: 5'8"
Eyes: Brown 
Hair: Brown

Motivation: A Job Well Done
Short Term Ambition: To meet Paulie or Spike again
Long Term Ambition: Get a high ranking position as a ratcatcher or city guard in a city

Weapon Skill: 42 (includes 5 advances)
Ballistic Skill: 33 
Strength: 39
Toughness: 36
Initiative: 32
Agility: 33
Dexterity: 24
Intelligence: 33
Willpower: 34 (includes 3 advances)
Fellowship: 29
Wounds: SB+(2xTB)+WPB = 12
Fate: 4
Resilience: 2
Movement: 4

Talents:
Doomed (am doomed)
Savvy (+5 to Intelligence)
Marksman (+5 to ballistic skill)

Night Vision
Max: Initiative Bonus
Tests: Perception tests in low-light conditions
You can see very well in natural darkness. Assuming you have at least a faint source of light (such as starlight, moonlight, or
bioluminescence) you can see clearly for 20 yards per level of Night Vision. Further, you can extend the effective illumination
distance of any light sources by 20 yards per level of Night Vision.

Pure Soul
Max: Willpower Bonus
Your soul is pure, quite resistant to the depredations of Chaos. You may gain extra Corruption points equal to your level of Pure Soul 
before having to Test to see if you become corrupt.

Sixth Sense
Max: Initiative Bonus
Tests: Intuition Tests involving your Sixth Sense
You get a strange feeling when you are threatened, and can react accordingly. The GM may warn you if you are walking into danger; this 
will normally come after a secret Intuition Test on your behalf. Further, you may ignore Surprise if you pass an Intuition Test.

Strike to Stun
Max: Weapon Skill Bonus
Tests: Melee Tests when Striking to Stun
You know where to hit an opponent to bring him down fast. You ignore the ‘Called Shot’ penalty to strike the Head Hit Location when using 
a melee weapon with the Pummel Quality (see page 298). Further, you count all improvised weapons as having the Pummel Quality

Skills:  Athletics +5, Animal Care +5, Animal Training (Dog) +5, Charm+3, Charm Animal +5, Consume Alcohol +3, Cool +5 , Endurance +5, 
Evaluate, Gossip+3 , Haggle +3, Language (Bretonnian), Language (Wastelander), Leadership, Lore (Reikland), Melee (Basic) +15, Ranged (Bow), 
Ranged (Sling) +2, Stealth (Underground) +5

Trappings: Cloak, Clothing, Dagger, Hat, Pouch, Sling Bag containing Lunch,  Sling with Ammunition, Sack, Small but Vicious Dog
Purchased Gear: Improvised Weapon (Chair Leg), Candle and Match
Money: 20 brass pennies
XP: 45
Dooming: Rats
XP Spent 10/18: Bought Night Vision, +3 Willpower

Piell fucked around with this message at Nov 5, 2018 around 20:32

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Honest Freddy

4 shillings. More money than he'd make in a month, most times. Whatever this package was, the customer wanted it bad. Of course this put his mind working what it might be, what might this tiny package actually contain to be worth so much. Then again, it wasn't like he'd been paid a crown to move it or anything. Even he might've had to turn that down out of paranoia.

Of course he had to account for costs - a shilling each to Harold and Erika seemed fair for their company on the road (note: Erika and Harold take a silver shilling), and certainly the trip could be worse. Mostly a roof over their heads in the rain, and of course Erika was always keeping spirits high wherever they went. Maybe there was something to this entertainment business, if they could just organize things a bit better.

He takes his drink and sits over next to Harold, handing the man an ale and raising the tankard, "To another day of life well lived, friend. And hopefully we don't have to break too many hands tonight. The crowd doesn't look too rowdy, more's the better."

4 shillings. More money than he'd make in a month, most times. Whatever this package was, the customer wanted it bad. Of course this put his mind working what it might be, what might this tiny package actually contain to be worth so much. Then again, it wasn't like he'd been paid a crown to move it or anything. Even he might've had to turn that down out of paranoia.

Of course he had to account for costs - a shilling each to Harold and Erika seemed fair for their company on the road (note: Erika and Harold take a silver shilling), and certainly the trip could be worse. Mostly a roof over their heads in the rain, and of course Erika was always keeping spirits high wherever they went. Maybe there was something to this entertainment business, if they could just organize things a bit better.

He takes his drink and sits over next to Harold, handing the man an ale and raising the tankard, "To another day of life well lived, friend. And hopefully we don't have to break too many hands tonight. The crowd doesn't look too rowdy, more's the better."

pre:
Name: Friedrich Stoffer
Alias: Honest Freddy, Friendly Freddy 
Class: Riverlander
Career: Smuggler
Career Level: 1
Fate: 4
Fortune: 4/4
Resilience: 2
Resolve: 2/2

Attributes:
WS: 37 + 0 = 37
BS: 28 + 0 = 28
St: 30 + 0 = 30
Tg: 27 + 0 = 27
Iv: 34 + 0 = 34
Ag: 38 + 5 = 43
Dx: 38 + 4 = 41
In: 32 + 0 = 32
Wp: 36 + 5 = 41
Fl: 40 + 0 = 40
Wounds: 3 + (2*2) = 7

Talents:

Coolheaded - You gain a permanent +5 bonus to your starting Willpower
Characteristic this does not count towards your Advances.

Criminal (1) - When securing money, either when Earning 
during play or performing an Income Endeavour, refer to the following 
table:

Bonus Money/Level of Criminal
Career Level 1 - +2d10 brass pennies
Career Level 2 - +1d10 silver shillings
Career Level 3 - +2d10 silver shillings
Career Level 4 - +1 gold crown 

Doomed - At the age of 10, a Priest of Morr called a Doomsayer took you
aside to foretell your death in an incense-laden, coming-of-age
ritual called the Dooming. In conjunction with your GM, come up
with a suitable Dooming. Should your character die in a fashion
that matches your Dooming, your next character gains a bonus of
half the total XP your dead character accrued during play.

Sharp - You gain a permanent +5 bonus to your starting Initiative
Characteristic (this does not count towards your Advances).

Suave - You gain a permanent +5 bonus to your starting Fellowship
Characteristic (this does not count towards your Advances).

Warrior Born - You gain a permanent +5 bonus to your starting 
Weapon Skill Characteristic (doesn’t count as Advances).

Trappings: 

Cloak
Clothing
Dagger
Flask of Spirits
Large Sack
Pouch
Scarves
Tinderbox
Storm Lantern and Oil

Skills:
Animal Care            32 + 0  = 32
Athletics              30 + 5  = 35
Bribery                40 + 5  = 45
Charm                  40 + 5  = 45
Cool                   41 + 15 = 56
Consume Alcohol        27 + 5  = 32
Evaluate               32 + 3  = 35
Gossip                 40 + 3  = 43
Haggle                 40 + 3  = 43
Language (Bretonnian)  32 + 0  = 32
Language (Wastelander) 32 + 0  = 32
Leadership             40 + 0  = 40
Lore (Reikland)        32 + 0  = 32
Melee (Basic)          37 + 5  = 42
Ranged (Bow)           27 + 0  = 27
Row                    30 + 2  = 31                  
Sail                   42 + 5  = 47
Stealth (Rural)        42 + 10 = 52
Stealth (Underground)  42 + 0  = 42
Stealth (Urban)        42 + 0  = 42
Swim                   30 + 2  = 31

Experience: 265 / 265
Agility Advance (+4) : 100xp 
Row (+1) : 10xp
Swim (+1) : 10xp
------------
Agility Advance (+1) : 25xp
Dexterity Advance (+3) : 75xp
Row (+1) : 10xp
Swim (+1) : 10xp
-------------
Dexterity Advance (+1) : 25xp
--------------

professorcurly: Species: 1d100 36 Human +20xp

professorcurly: Career: 1d100 71 Smuggler +50xp

professorcurly: Stats: 10#2d10 12 8 10 7 9 18 18 12 11 15 +50xp

professorcurly: Random Talents: 3#1d100 73 100 17

professor_curly fucked around with this message at Nov 6, 2018 around 03:47

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Elise Gottfield

Elise dunks some bread in her soup. "Same thing that brings everyone this way," she said. "Accidental misfortune an' a lack of funding in academia," she says with a shrug, bringing the bread out of the soup and into her mouth.

She reached into her robes and produced a flask. A quick, overly-deft flick of her fingers and she was pouring amber into her pint to shore it up a bit. "Chasing other stabbists, are ya? Got anything you need read?"

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rosamunde Echstein

Rosamunde swigs her drink and smiles. "Not unless you've picked up fortune-reading since last we met. One or two more towns without a duelist willing to take a bet or a noble looking to have their wounded pride bandaged, and I'll have to take up caravan guard work."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Erika Laut, Busker

There's nothing quite as fine as a new town to play in. The dreary weather, the time of year, and the paucity of competing options put Erika in quite an enviable spot when it comes to earning some coin for an evening's entertainment. The coin that'd propelled the trip certainly didn't hurt matters either. She's staked out a spot right near the fire, a large mug of whatever swill the village prefers on the table beside her, while she tunes her lute for the night's revels. Singing for food and board was a fair way to live, in her estimation, and that left plenty of coin to spend on a nice drink or three to wet her throat.

Erika grins at Freddy and Harold, saying, "Aw, come now. There'll be time enough to get their blood flowing. Half of them are still only a drink in!" She winks at Harold. "Give 'em a bit, I'm sure you'll talk someone into a hand of cards before the night's out."

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the Void




Gottfried Schäfer

The young witch hunter gave Dietmar a weary look that would be all too familiar to anyone who'd traveled with a flagellant for any length of time. "Aye, they will," Gottfried's voice turned wry. "The real question is will they let you stay, eh?" He patted the flagellant's shoulder gingerly. "I'll not be helping ye if you get thrown out on you're arse again. Just remember what I told ye this time, eh? Sigmar assigns a time and a place for all things, even your...ah..." He trailed off a moment, searching for a polite word. "...sermons." Mad ranting, more like. Shallya grant me patience.

As soon as he opened the door, the sounds of merriment dimmed as if a blanket had been thrown over the whole room. Dietmar was young, and he lacked the dour, scarred countenance of his fellows, but the garb of a witch hunter was unmistakable. His bare head marked him as an apprentice, but that did nothing to relieve the newly-created tension in the room. Suppressing a sigh, he held up both hands in a gesture of peace. "Please, friends, be at ease. There is nothing to hunt here this night, save for a bit of rest and some excellent ale, eh?"

pre:
Name: Gottfried Schäfer
Species: Human
Class: Ranger
Career: Witch Hunter
Available XP: 220
Spent XP: 100

Short term Ambition: Save an innocent from a creature of darkness.
Long term Ambition: Cleanse Reikland of chaos so that his family will be safe.

	WS  BS   S   T   I  Agi  Dex  Int  WP  Fel   Fate  Resilience   Movement  Wounds
base	34  31  34  35  32   31  30    25  33   29    3         3           4	    14
adv                 +5
tlnt                                   +5  +5
total	34  31  34  40  32  31   30    30  38   29    3 	3	    4	    14

Skills: 
Charm 3
Consume Alcohol 5
Cool 5
Evaluate 3
Gossip 3
Heal 5
Intuition 10 
Lore (Reikland) 5
Melee (Basic) 10
Survival 10

Talents:
Ambidextrous
Coolheaded
Doomed - "Thy generosity bringeth tuppence and a sword in return."
Mimic
Night Vision
Read/Write
Savvy

Trappings: 
Backpack w/ Tinderbox, Blanket, Cloak, Clothing
Dagger, Sword (+7 dam), Instruments of Torture (Unused)
Pouch, Rations (1 day), 5 shillings

XP spent:
Coolheaded (100)

Izzy fucked around with this message at Oct 23, 2018 around 16:56

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Elise Gottfield

Elise shook her head at the duelist. "I don't even have a deck of cards, and I can't lie for poo poo, so fortune telling's out of the question," she said, leaning back. She took another drink and looked around the crowd. They did seem an especially guileless lot.

"Tell you what, though. We could do the Wee Jessie?" she said, a playful grin spreading over her face. "It's bought me more drinks than I care to mention. 'Oh, I'm just some Wee Jessie lass, with more coin than sense! Arm wrestle me and some coin, you big strong man!'" She teased and flexed her arm under her robes.

It's rare to be able to see muscular definition through sackcloth but, then again, Elise is a rare one.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rosamunde Echstein

"Ha! At least wait until the rain stops before you rile up a mob of sore losers and get yourself thrown out."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Elise Gottfield

"Shouldn't play if you can't take a joke," muttered Elise. "Plus, it's not like I'd start up just yet. Let people come in, get a few drinks in them."

She'd clearly done this before.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Sister Thekla

"I'm not one for tricks myself. No skin off my nose if a bunch of fools think themselves stronger than they are, of course, I just won't pretend to be weak."

Ulric is as honest as possible, after all.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at Oct 10, 2018 around 13:16

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?




Harry Weiss

Small towns just didn't feel right to Harry. It was too open, too spaced out. If he knew the term for claustrophobia, he'd know he felt almost something akin to the direct opposite of it. The dreary weather didn't help things, and the thief sat slumped in his chair, looking dour as he danced a brass penny across his knuckles out of boredom.

He grunted to Freddy when the man brought him a drink, but his eyes were out on the crowd. Everything outside of the big city was just so.. small. He could make a killing in a Marienburg tavern while everyone was hammered, just slipping through and bumping into people and taking a coin here and there; not enough to beggar someone, oh no. He'd figured most would think they overspent on drink. But out here? He sits up and takes a sip of the ale. "Sooner we're out of here and to somewhere a bit bigger, the better. Most of these folks are too humble to think they can beat some big city lad at a round of find the lady."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Geiselbrück

With most arrivals having filtered in to the establishment, many an eye turned to the arrival of Gottfried and Dietmar—conversations suspended in a moment of tension before the apprentice hunter’s words seem to offer some measure of relief from that sea of dirty faces. Erika had been afforded space on a small, makeshift stage of sorts—which mostly amounted to a span of floor space able to accommodate a trio of musicians with instruments or the occasional performer set on demonstrating a juggling routine in perilous proximity to patrons.

Timbers creak faintly as a strong wind presses upon the Merry Yeoman—and beyond the shelter of the hearth-warmed gathering, the rains seem to have picked up only moments past the latest arrivals. Maneuvering around the somewhat crowded tables, the barmaid delivers a fragrant, seasonal ale to Rosamunde at the woman’s request before busying herself collecting bowls from a nearby table.

To one side of the Merry Yeoman’s main hall, a bout of uproarious laughter erupts for a few moments as a brawny woodsman claps a farmer’s back beside him, grinning from ear to ear. More than a few eyes have come to lingering glances in Erika’s direction in anticipation and expectation—another stiff wind setting faint creaking, barely audible over the growing din. Thunder rumbles, a deep bass heard in resonance over Geiselbrück; with a flash of lightning, the darkened cobbled road outside is illuminated briefly, a trio of silhouettes moving swiftly past the bridge.

A rush of cold, wet air spills into the tavern as the door swings wide with sudden gusto; stepping in out of the rain rises the looming figure of a severe looking man with two ragged scars across his face, his left eye rheumy. Adorned in a wide-brimmed hat and long cloak mantled about his shoulders, a glimpse of brigandine is revealed beneath such as he pivots to cast his gaze across the men and women within the tavern.

Behind the man, beyond the doorway, a second cloaked fellow seems to be corralling the third—a markedly more handsome man who appears to be kept in irons, looking somewhat disheveled in what had otherwise been finer clothes worn with studded leather in tandem; the bound man’s face seems familiar to Harold at a glance—while his apparent handler or captor grips roughly at the collar of his shirt.

Jaw set, the first arrival raises himself up with a swell of his chest before loudly announcing “I am Siegward Gansz; by the authority granted to me by Graf Steirlich von Bruner, we are transporting a dangerous criminal to trial. Who among you stand with the militia here?” A few glances are exchanged before three of the men in the tavern raise their hands, two somewhat hesitantly; Siegward’s already sour expression darkens.

“Only three.” Siegward mutters, before cranes to look out to the bridge into the village, staring for a few moments before reaching beneath his cloak—from which he produces and unfurls a length of parchment marked by a prodigious wax seal of office. “I require your service in the delivery of my prisoner.” One of the militiamen clears his throat before protesting “There’s only twelve of us protecting Geiselbrück!” Siegward scowls. “Then two of you can answer Graf Steirlich von Bruner’s call.”

Outside, the manacled man, still standing in the downpour, looks past Siegward and manages to flash a smile to Rosamunde, Elise and Sister Thekla, waggling his hand at their table. Thunder rumbles again, a further flash of lightning illuminating Siegward’s attendant—the second man wearing brigandine in kind, but appears to have been blooded in a recent engagement, a bandage bound about his shoulder and the side of his neck beneath his cloak.

Siegward casts another glance to the bridge before looking across the tavern once more; after apparent consideration, he calls out again. “This prisoner must be brought to Eisenstadt. Who among you will serve in the delivery of justice?” His good eye narrows. Belatedly, tersely, he addends “You will be well rewarded in recognition for your service.” With this, the brawny woodsman among the farmers pushes up from his table. “Aye, I’ll go.” He yawps.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006



Karl

"Well, poo poo, I wasn't hardly doing anything anyhow," Karl says as he stands to his feet, Lefty emerging from under the table as he does. As he was about to step forward, he pauses. "Wait, are we getting paid in money or recognition?"

Piell fucked around with this message at Oct 10, 2018 around 17:47

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Geiselbrück

"You'll be paid in coin--and those who prove themselves well will be regarded well by his lordship." Siegward pronounces back to Karl. To this, a second villager stands, muddy and filthy--the fellow Gottfried and Dietmar glimpsed by the river. "I'll go, sire!" Among the militiamen there seems to be a debate before two among them stand, seemingly begrudgingly, and make for the doorway. "We'll fetch arms." One offers to Siegward, getting a nod in reply as they head out into the rain.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Erika Laut, Busker

Erika's mood plummets, the man's arrival having all but stolen the thunder from her performance. Not even a song in and he was already stealing prospective coin from her bowl! Still, though, there was an opportunity here. Getting an in with the nobility could pay more than a night singing and tumbling at fireside. A lot more. She gives Harry and Freddy a look, then murmurs to them, "What do you think? Might as well if it's along the way. Add a little coin to the mix, maybe even get a little more if we impress his regal lordship with our... talents."

quote:

SidekickBOTToday at 11:26 AM
@Tricky: 1d100 Lore (Reikland) vs 46 = (82) = 82

Attempting to place the name, but...

Tricky fucked around with this message at Oct 10, 2018 around 18:27

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012




Dietmar Riehl

"What d' you think Gottfried? I was gunna beg the cook for some scraps, but some coin would help us both out." Dietmar asks Gotfried quietly. "We'd have ta get wet again, though."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Harold

Harry sits up and takes notice at the well-armored man, and he furrows his brow at their handsome captive. He seemed the friendly sort, but the man had claimed he was a dangerous criminal; in fact, he seemed familiar, but he couldn't put his finger on who he was just now. It was the rain matted hair throwing him off, for sure. Harry had seen them rushing across the bridge, and the other handler definitely seemed wounded.. the drab day was certainly turning into something a little more excitement. The destination was also incredibly convenient.

After a moment of study, he gives Freddy and Erika a look of curiosity, before standing and brushing his cloak back. "S'cuse me, lord. I'm Mr. Weiss, from Marienburg, if it pleases you for introductions." He gives Siegward a short but formal bow and a smile, before continuing. "Me and mine here, Madam Laut and Mr. Stoffer, may be of mind to assist you on your journey to Eisenstadt, but you said this man was a dangerous criminal?"

Weiss steps around the table, folding his hands together at his waist and giving his most concerned look. "Praise Sigmar he has been caught, sir, but may we ask you his crime? It would be in our best interests to know who it is we are dealing with."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Honest Freddy

"You aren't wrong, but all the same it is better to be under a roof in some little dungpile like this than being outside anywhere in that kind of storm. Right miserable out there it is, only seems to be getting worse. If it keeps up like this tomorrow we might just bed down here for a time. Got a few extra pennies for just this sort of thing, payday's no use if we catch a death on the way."

He tanks a big gulp of his drink, thinking it better to get the swill down fast rather than trying to taste it, when the door slams open and the impressive man in the armor began making his speech. He glances over at Harry, listening to the man's spiel. It was the direction they were going, the town they were going even. So either a convenient double payday or getting into more trouble than it was worth.

"I say we take a chance on it."

Freddy stands and follows Harry.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Erika Laut, Busker

Erika is quick to pack her lute back into its case and follow the pair. No reason to say no to an armed escort, particularly the kind that was already going where they were. She adds, "Erika Laut, at your service."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Elise Gottfield

Elise sat there listening. She considered - she knew the Graf is known among the peasants of Grauwerk for being pretty driven when it comes to rooting out bandits. He hires bounty hunters on a frequent enough basis for it to maybe be a sore spot with the local guard garrison; then again, it would maybe be more of a sore spot if everyone didn't know that the garrison didn't tend to be up to the task. Too many louts, layabouts and blaggards. Then again, if this person needed an escort...

Why'd one man need an escort like that. She looked around her compatriots at the table and gave a slightly nervy glance. "Don't like the smell of that," she said. "Why'd he need a big escort if 'e's one bloke in irons already? Who's he?" she muttered.

She looked around the room. "Whole lot of people looking to make enemies of others and corpses of themselves..."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Geiselbrück

Siegward observes the standing volunteers; the brawny woodsman announces himself as Wolfgang Hönig in turn after Harold's own introduction, before the filthier volunteer offers his name as Rennig with a gruff utterance. To the question of his captive's identity and crimes, Siegward appears to rankle somewhat bitterly, reluctant even. Thunder rankles overhead, lightning dancing over distant tree-tops in a flash before Siegward relents, gesturing to the manacled man with open distaste. "This man is Conrad Gessler, the Scoundrel of Grauwerk." Behind him, Conrad scoffs; Siegward continues. "He is a wanted highwayman, bandit and outlaw whose band has hounded the decent folk of Grauwerk for far too long."

Now Friedrich and Harold more readily recognized the man--though Conrad Gessler was at times known for more 'flattering' monikers and had once been called the 'Wolf of the Woods' at a measure; he had proven to be among the more elusive thorns in the Graf's side, so far as either men knew. Judging by the sudden looks of concern and hesitation around the tavern floor, other locals seemed to realize just who it was that shadowed the doorway now too. Though most may not have recognized Conrad by name directly, many who had lingered in the region at length had heard some measure or another of the Scoundrel of Grauwerk's handiwork--most principally having been reportedly behind organizing the region's road agents and highwaymen from disparate bands into a more cohesive union, much to the chagrin of the law.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at Oct 10, 2018 around 19:21

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Sister Thekla

"Mm...I've no call for a lord's gratitude without knowing if the lord has mettle." She looks over at Elise. "But it does seem an interesting challenge, doesn't it? And if he's so known..." Thekla shrugs. "It might be a worthy task in the name of Ulric. And banditry is worth punishing."

She stands, speaking up. "I assume you fear his fellows will try to free him during the trip, yes?"

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Geiselbrück

To Sister Thekla's remark, Conrad is prompt to reply "That you can count on!" Siegward turns to strike the man across the brow with a backhand before fixing his second with a look. "Volkhard, gag the prisoner." Wrangling the man, Volkhard sees to doing just that, cinching a torn length of linen to silence the outlaw as Conrad laughs. Glances are exchanged in the tavern, mutterings in kind; Siegward nods curtly to Thekla. "I would expect it, though I aim to deter such recklessness. We do this not because it is easy, but because it is necessary." Looking to the broader gathering, he calls "If you are craven, I have no use for you in this task." With some hesitation, a third would-be volunteer seems to sink back down into his seat, huddling over his soup; Wolfgang and Rennig remain standing, however. A few moments later, the two militiamen return from elsewhere in the village, now adorned in leathers and armed with spears.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at Oct 10, 2018 around 19:53

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rosamunde Echstein

Finishing her drink, Rosamunde sets it down and shakes her head. Was this really what she was coming to? Ah well, no avoiding it. It couldn't always be flashy duels that ended at first blood. Sometimes you had to get your hands dirty to get by.

"Not that I disagree with you about making enemies and becoming corpses, Elise, but I've got 4 shillings to my name and they're headed my way. Might as well put my talents to use. With any luck, a big enough crowd will chase off this bandit's friends and I can get paid for nothing more than being a watchdog."

She stands and waves to Siegward, turning slightly to let him see the rapier at her hip.

"You have my sword."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Sister Thekla

Thekla's eyes narrow.

"Craven? I am no craven." She raises her fist and becomes, somehow, louder. "The rabbit lives dying in every moment. He sees his death behind every tree, in every shadow. He fears the worst, and the worst is served upon him in every moment. He flees his death, and he dies in every instant. The wolf sees his death and laughs. He knows that he will not die, for all will remember his final stand, and he will live forever. Thus says the Liber Lupus, the words of Ulric his own self, and I am his wolf!"

She points at Volkhard.

"Bring me an axe."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Elise Gottfield

"The lord has mett-" said Elise before Thekla (feckless?) leaps into the fray.

Honestly, the moment of 'that you can count on' thins out the herd of people that are interested in taking on the job. The short blonde woman seems to shrink next to Thekla as the brawny wolf stands and begins her recitation. She sighed inwardly, reached a hand into her robes and produced a flask. She took a pull from it. "And you'll be going tonight, I take it? So concerned are you about retribution that you'd rather he be away from a population centre, aye?"

Her father had given her different advice than he'd given her brother, but- one piece of advice seemed to bubble up to the surface. A piece of advice he'd given. It wasn't meant literally but the meaning was clear. 'Never stick your dick in a hornets nest.'

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Geiselbrück

Siegward eyes Rosamunde’s hilted blade before nodding once in approval. Sister Thekla’s impromptu sermon draws a few looks, but Siegward appears satisfied by the display. Volkhard looks momentarily perplexed at the prompting for an axe—but then from nearby, Wolfgang interjects—and the tall woodsman looses a deep chuckle before he offers to the priestess “I’ve axes for the both of us, Sister.” He smiles broadly before pressing past the seated villagers, ducking out and into the rain to disappear among the gloom.

Looking to Elise, Siegward nods again, grimly. “I plan to put distance at our backs; this village will not suffice for the night.”

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Elise Gottfield

A lot of this was starting to make sense. The odds were, the moment they got out of town, he'd start get that gag off and start talking. A charismatic leader of men, travelling with people that have no dog in the fight. It made Elise uneasy. She shifted, and hid her flask once more. "It's one day's walk in fine weather to Eisenstadt, aye?" she said. "So, given that it's raining out, an' I'm not of the belief that it's like to stop soon, we're probably closer to two. You ain't got a cart? Some 'orses you can deliver 'im with?" she asked looking curious.

"You'll need lanterns. Hooded ones. Light more'n sword'll be good here. What's in the woods?" she asked. "Wee critters or bears, wolves an' that lads pals?"

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the Void


Gottfried

Gottfried favors Dietmar with a wry smile. "You speak true on both counts," he replies. "And duty does not call at our convenience." He does, however, spare a longing look at the bar before striding back to the front, the rain still streaming from his cloak. Arranging his expression into a grim, determined look, he gives the gentleman a curt bow. "Gottfried Schafer, of the Silver Hammer." He gestures to Dietmar. "And Dietmar Riehl, faithful of Sigmar. We would be honored to accompany you to Eisenstadt, Herr Gansz." His gaze shifts to the man in irons, appraisingly.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Honest Freddy
Wounds: 11/11 --- Fortune: 3/4 --- Resolve: 2/2 --- Coin: 2S 31B

Freddy listens to this news and slowly nods at the implications. He rubs his chin in thought as the travelling group gets progressively larger. The Wolf was well known, for sure. He'd done a lot of good for the highwaymen and other cutthroat types this way, and that didn't bode well for their chances. "Well sirs that being the case, I might suggest that we take a... shortcut I know off the river-road. If half the things I've heard about this scoundrel are true then the last place we want to be is on a highway where they'll be expecting us. It's a bit treacherous but it's a good sight faster and any of this man's compatriots won't expect us on it."

Reminder I have Criminal as a talent

professor_curly fucked around with this message at Oct 11, 2018 around 00:27

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Geiselbrück

Siegward peers at Elise lingeringly, jaw set. "You intend to accompany us?" His tone is dubious. "No cart or horse; another can be procured, but we've need to account for a procession." His eyes narrow, but he nods. "There may be wolves and other beasts of the wood, yes--but we move in number, capably. Lanterns, some provisions, yes." Turning his attention then to Gottfried and Dietmar, Siegward appears visibly relieved. "Excellent, I would be glad to have the both of you." He nods again. By now, Wolfgang returns to the tavern, toting with him a pair of stout lumber axes--one of which he hoists to offer Sister Thekla its handle.

Freidrich's words mark the first time Siegward takes a good look at the man--brow knitting in mild consternation by contrast to Harold--all the more so to the two latest volunteers. "I'll hear of this path of yours once we've assembled." His attention turns at last to Erika belatedly, sizing her up. "Are you armed as well?" Another glance is then cast towards the bridge outside, jaw tightening for a moment. "Well enough then." A few of the villagers look somewhat befuddled as even the night's entertainment appears ready to depart with the suddenly blossoming escort ensemble.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at Oct 12, 2018 around 16:32

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Elise Gottfield

The student leant back and run a hand through her hair. "I intend to assist where I can, an' makin' sure that everyone that's standing up saying 'me, me, pick me, sir' knows the full depth of what they're getting into," she said.

"A few days trek through the forest in pissing rain, during which time they're like as not to be assailed by a collective of heavily armed bastards. And now there 'may be' wolves and other beasts of the woods on the route there," she continued. The implication was clear. What use is a towns guard if they can't even keep the wolves out of the woods and the roads safe from animals, let alone highwaymen. "Ain't saying I'd not be interested in the trip, but I'm just sayin' that I'd want everyone to know what's like to happen on the way there."

Plus, there's probably one pot at the end of this. If she can scare off some of the limp-hearted types, her share grows.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Erika Laut, Busker

Erika pats her side, the sheath of a particularly large knife visible as she moves fabric aside, and says, "I'm no wilting flower, your lordship, and it wouldn't be the first time I've had to fend off unwanted attentions on the road. Traveling is dangerous business, after all, and it's how I make mine."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Geiselbrück

“If you’re to come, then muster,” Siegward pronounces crisply, “but we’ve little time to waste. Gather to arms and we’ll be off with haste.” He gestures then outside, away from the numerous eyes still lingering in noncommittal concern for the affair at hand. With a peal of thunder and another flash soon thereafter, Siegward and Volkhard proceed with their prisoner en tow around the corner of the inn’s entryway, standing in a covered overhang.

Both militiamen stand huddled and soaked, leaning on spears as they eye the bound Conrad balefully; Wolfgang stows his axe into a leather sling, the brawny woodsman adjusting a heavy cloak about his shoulders. Rennig stands somewhat to the side, now holding a knotted club under his arm as he rubs his hands together to warm them.

As other faces arrive, Siegward looks to each in turn before checking to ensure that everyone assembled has some manner of weapon on their person. Afterwards, he looks to Friedrich, expression grim. “Tell me of this path of yours.”

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«3 »