Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rosamunde Echstein

Rosamunde half-starts from the depths of her thoughts. Voices? She draws her sword carefully, trying to prevent it from rasping against the scabbard, and hisses "Manfred. You hear that? Sounds like company."

She glances back into the cave nervously, trying to decide whether or not she should head back and alert the others, and decides against it. She couldn't leave Manfred alone and if whoever was out there found them, the others would hear the noise soon enough.

Rolled 45 vs Perception 35. Picked up 2 Agility advances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Reikwald Cave

Manfred looks to Rosamunde with a squint as he pauses to listen before nodding to the duelist, jaw tightening. “You think it’s his lot…?” He mutters, rising from a crouch with a brace of his spear’s haft before he casts a wary look back into the cave. “If we end up backed into here…” He trails off, a haggard look spreading on the militiaman’s face.

Deeper in the cave, Sister Thekla finds her eyes adjusting with canny ease to the dark—Ulrich is with her, it seems. While the prior search by lantern light had brought no shadowy avenues to the fore, the priestess catches glimpse of a rocky bend behind stalagmites previously unseen: a passageway further into the cavern’s depths, easy to miss with how shadows flickered and fell by lantern light.

Overhead, the sounds continue none-too-subtly; near as Thekla can tell, there’s half a dozen men or more gathered above the cavern in the wilderness. ‘Campsite’ is caught among their utterances in seeming reference to the abandoned locale not picked—before a woman’s voice cuts into the conversation sharply. ‘Must be nearby’ and ‘check ahead’ are heard clearly enough by Thekla then.

With the others roused, Wolfgang scoops up his axe as Siegward and Volkhard see to swiftly checking their armor and armament back into place.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Thekla

Thekla frowns. That's - a lot of people, but they don't seem to be aware. She shifts in the dark, gesturing to the others to follow her to the bend. She speaks as quietly as she can, axe at the ready. "Six men at least, and a woman leading them. They'll be looking for us. We missed a passage back here that we can use for ambush." She isn't sure what's back there, but she trusts it far more than the mob outside. "Arms ready. Ulric is with us."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Honest Freddy

As Freddy wakes his dagger slips easily from its sheath, glancing around the room and listening to the noise above as everyone began to move. He doesn't hear the storm anymore... so either the clouds were clear and the people above were going by moonlight, or they had some sort of torches. He doesn't light his lantern, instead letting his eyes adjust to the darkness before he lithely rolls into a low crouch, creeping toward the group.

"Seems reasonable enough."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer


Young Orc


Karl

Karl made his way over to the hidden cave entrance, his chair leg ready in his hand - he'd spent enough time underground that the darkness wouldn't both him as much as the others. As Lefty moved to go into the tunnel, Karl held him back with his foot - Lefty was a terror against rats, but wouldn't fate nearly as well against a human attacker.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."



Elise Gottfield

Elise awoke and grunted as she realised it wasn't morning. People are up and moving around in here, making noise, waking her up, and generally being rotten about things. Standing shakily, her apparently infinite hipflask having taken a sizable hit last night, she steadied herself and took a moment to survey. She looked around for Gessler - as high an opinion of herself she had, she knew she probably wasn't going to be much use in a fight given her armament of a heavy looking club/chairleg.

She went over to Gessler and nudged him in the ribs.

"Are you gonna be a dick about this?"

Sion fucked around with this message at Dec 14, 2018 around 21:07

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Erika Laut, Busker

Erika falls in by Elise, since it seems the nook the others are fussing over is well-covered.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rosamunde Echstein

"Courage, Manfred. I've already said I'm no fan of having my back to the wall, but we're in a natural chokepoint. They might not even find us."

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Rosamunde starts going through a quick series of stretching exercises to shake off the stiffness of guard duty. As Master Henryk had always said back in dueling school, the reason none of the old tales of legendary warriors ever mentioned mid-fight muscle cramps is because anyone who got one died.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Honest Freddy

"Do you want me to scout out the back of this cave? I can be quiet when I need to be."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Reikwald Cave

Stirred into action and at the ready, Siegward keeps his voice low as he casts a look about. “Let us hope they do not happen upon us—but if they do, they’ll not want to risk harm to him to smoke us out.” He nods toward Conrad, jaw set. Conrad in turn looks to Elise as she nudges him, fixing her with a look before shaking his head and leaning back against a stalagmite with a weary breath.

With Friedrich’s offer, Siegward considers for a moment before nodding. “See if we’ve another avenue of egress, but take care not to alert our pursuers.” Turning his attention to Sister Thekla and the others, Siegward tightens his jaw. “If it comes to it, we will take them by ambush; they’ll not expect so many of us ready to receive them.” Hans takes to a low crouch behind a rocky outcrop, resting the haft of his spear against it as his eyes dart about; nearby, Wolfgang holds his axe at hand, waiting.

~

By the entrance, Manfred nods to Rosamunde, flexing his grip on his spear. “I’d be feeding pigs right now.” He mutters beneath his breath, staring out the mouth of the cave before casting a sidelong glance to Rosamunde limbering up, blinking. “At least you look raring for a fight.” After a moment, Rosamunde can hear the rustle of foliage from up ahead—and by the looks of it, Manfred does as well, growing silent and still.

With moonlight cast over the terrain beyond the mouth of the cave, Rosamunde spies a lean figure somewhat furtively descending the muddy trail and having a look around.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Honest Freddy
Wounds: 11/11 --- Fortune: 2/4 --- Resolve: 2/2 --- Coin: 2S 31B

Freddy nods and begins to slide his way back through the cave to see if there was another exit, his lantern giving off a bare sliver of light. It made his movements a bit clumsy, but the movement of beasts in a cave is certainly less suspicious than a lantern in the darkness.

Will search for any rear entrance/exits to the cave.
@professorcurly: 1d100 Stealth (Underground) TN42 - finding a rear exit quiet = (48) = 48
A Basic failure, if this counts as underground stealth. A basic success if this is still "rural" stealth, not sure. Also not sure any bonuses that I might be getting for being underground while they are above ground?

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Reikwald Cave

Stalking quietly through the winding passage, Friedrich navigates around narrow bends and low overhangs in the quiet dark of the cave. Along the way, Friedrich catches the faintest band of distant moonlight to charter a course—and some twenty yards hence, the main discovers an overgrown egress from the cave into the leafy foliage of the Reikwald in a moonlit copse. There, he can hear the more subdued rustling and shifting some distance away as figures move nearer to the game trail and its vicinity.

It was a level easier, so Friedrich passes on the fate reroll and succeeds. He's found an alternative avenue from the cave.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Honest Freddy
Wounds: 11/11 --- Fortune: 2/4 --- Resolve: 2/2 --- Coin: 2S 31B

Freddy scampers back to the group as quietly as he can, "There is another exit out this way. Overgrown, hard to see. It sounds like they are moving away from it."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012




Dietmar Riehl
Wounds: 12/12 --- Fortune: 3/2 --- Resolve: 4/4

Dietmar was used to sleeping in uncomfortable places, often surrounded by people who moved and cried out in the night. The quiet shuffling and whispers around him were barely enough to touch his dreams, much less wake him up - at least Freddy managed to step on his hand. That was enough to make his eyes open in surprise, although he carefully avoided moving. Old instincts told him that it was safer to stay still and quiet than to yell and move.

After a moment, his sleep fogged brain cleared up enough for him to catch the hushed discussion going on. Something had the watchers riled up, and others awake. Carefully, Dietmar makes his way to his feet and wraps his sore hand around the handle of his flail, his other hand grabbing the end of it so it wouldn't swing around and make noise.

"Did they find us? Run, hide or fight?"

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at Nov 12, 2018 around 18:27

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Sister Thekla

"While I prefer to fight if they are indeed brigands...we can choose our battlefield." While Thekla doesn't like fleeing, Ulric doesn't forbid either that or choosing when to engage, after all. "I will follow whichever path we take."

It's fairly clear she'd like to prove her bravery but isn't going to push the matter.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer


Young Orc


Karl

"May as well try to move out. Ain't no reason to get in a fight if we don't gotta. And it ain't like we get paid more for fighting - wait. Would we get paid more for fighting?" Karl says, concentrating on what is important - keeping himself alive but also getting paid.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Erika Laut, Busker

Erika mutters, "Coin doesn't spend if you're dead. I'd rather we slip 'em if we can."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Honest Freddy
Wounds: 11/11 --- Fortune: 2/4 --- Resolve: 2/2 --- Coin: 2S 31B

"It'll be rough giving them the slip with a group this big... We could try, I could take the lead and try to find a quiet path for us. Alternatively our armored clanker types can get their attention and have a bit of a hostage situation in here while our cutter types slip around and do a bit of backstabbing. Whatever you lot want to do."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Reikwald Cave

Siegward scowls bitterly as he regards Conrad, looking to whence Friedrich returned with a possible avenue for escape; the scarred man’s gaze sweeps over the other faces in the gloom, jaw set as he considers. “We’ll leave an ample trail for them as we are—but as we stand, we can dictate the terms of our engagement.” He looks to Thekla with this, nodding to her remarks. “Had we not taken the game trail, they’d have gotten ahead of us.” A glance to Friedrich.

“It’s possible they’ll overlook the cave yet and we’ll have their backs—but I do not cherish the thought of discovery here.” Siegward looks to Volkhard, exchanging a wearisome expression before he considers. “Fetch the others, we’ll use the passage and see if we can take our pursuers by surprise before any others might arrive to reinforce their number.”

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Erika Laut, Busker

Erika says, "I'll go fetch the watch." She slips out towards the cave's entrance, where Manfred and Rosamunde await. When she gets there she says, quietly, "There's another way out the back. Siegward wants to slip out and get the drop on 'em."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."



Elise Gottfield

Elise moved to grab Gessler by the chains around his waist. She tugged at it, moving him towards the back of the cave.

Sion fucked around with this message at Dec 14, 2018 around 21:07

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Honest Freddy
Wounds: 11/11 --- Fortune: 2/4 --- Resolve: 2/2 --- Coin: 2S 31B

"I'll go first and make sure there isn't anyone watching the entrance."

Freddy waits for the others to be ready to go before slipping out the back of the cave, looking around to make sure there was no ambush waiting for them above. His experience in this is on display as he merges into the shadows and sounds of the woods with practiced ease. Once out of the cave he will stay low and look around for anyone watching this rear entrance and attempt to get eyes on their pursuers generally.

@professorcurly: 1d100 Stealth (Rural) TN52 - sneaking out to look for ambush = (31) = 31

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Reikwald Cave

Venturing ahead as the others gather, Friedrich emerges from the ancillary exit from the cave system—a veritable shadow among the gloom; silent and skillful, the smuggler maneuvers his way through the foliage and undergrowth with nary a sound in his subtlety. Siegward, Volkhard and the rest of the escorting ensemble draw further into the cavern’s side passage—somewhat cloistered and cramped with the bodies present, but prepared to make egress when afforded an apt opportunity to do so.

Taking stock of the situation, Friedrich is afforded fresh clarity: of the speaking voices, four silhouetted figures still lingered nearer to the path proper, reconnoitering where the group had been previously—while further off he can catch the fading passage of other figures searching onward; with his direction and discretion, it was possible to chart a course to attempt to avoid the pursuers altogether—or to seek a position to render an ambush in turn, potentially.

Friedrich nailed the check, so it’s up to you all if you want to try to evade the apparent bandits or set an ambush of your own. There’s at least six of them from what you’ve been able to tell so far, but they’ve seemingly failed to find a trace of you. As we’re headed into Thanksgiving stateside, have a happy holiday anyone celebrating!

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Honest Freddy
Wounds: 11/11 --- Fortune: 2/4 --- Resolve: 2/2 --- Coin: 2S 31B

Freddy appears after a few minutes, speaking in a low voice.

"There are at least six, maybe more. Four on the path, and some more looking for tracks further into the woods. We could probably slip by them or we could waylay them. Up to you."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer


Young Orc


Karl

"Well, we got more folk than they do and we can ambush 'em," Karl says. "We ain't gonna get a better chance to fight 'em, so if you think they'll keep coming after us we may as well go after 'em here."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rosamunde Echstein

Rosamunde (and presumably Manfred) had slipped out the back of the cave with the others once it became clear they'd found a way out. She listens to Friedrich's report, nodding slowly, and then speaks her mind.

"They found us once when we didn't even take the path they expected. They'll find us again. I say we turn this ambush around and deal with them once and for all."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Erika Laut, Busker

Erika follows Rosamunde out to the growing gathering and softly says, "I can't disagree with that. Let's just try and keep one alive, alright? I might be able to figure out some more about what kind of numbers they can muster and where to avoid." Left unsaid, yet pressing on her mind is the thought that she might also be able to extract locations of hidden caches of ill-gotten gains. That would do quite a bit to ease her lifestyle for the next few months. A fitting reward indeed, for risking life and limb! "It seems we're reaching something of a decision on the matter?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018



Sister Thekla

"Aye. I'm all for this ambush." She smiles. "Ulric is with us this day - I can feel it in my bones. But I suppose we can try to take one alive."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Honest Freddy
Wounds: 11/11 --- Fortune: 1/4 --- Resolve: 2/2 --- Coin: 2S 31B

As the group assembles, Freddy motions that he will lead the way in the ambush. He sneaks out of the cave and stays low, moving between shrubs and bushes in time with the remaining wind. He tries to maneuver to the other side of the group of four, preparing to attack them from behind when the clanking members of the crew jump out for their ambush. He adjusts the grip on his dagger nervously. He wasn't a murderer, not even really a killer despite his talk. He'd stabbed some folks, but it wasn't something he'd ever gotten used to. He'd rather slip away, but here he was. About to stab someone that never saw it coming to try and advance his way in the world.

Then again, everyone in these woods had made their choices and committed their sins. He raises up on his toes, balancing with one hand on the ground and the other poised back for a stabbing thrust.

Freddy will sneak out and try to Horror Movie Gank what looks like the leader in that group of four standing together. My intention is Freddy gets in position, and then when the clankers in the group charge out and get the bandit's attention, Freddy appears from behind and knife-to-the-throat.
After a fate point reroll:
@professorcurly: 1d100 Stealth (Rural) TN52 - ambush attack! = (38) = 38

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Reikwald Wilderness

Setting out to prepare an ambush for the company’s would-be pursuers, Friedrich breaks off from the rest of the group to stalk among the foliage and undergrowth while Siegward, Volkhard and the others elect for coverage across from a small grassy clearing. Ahead of the apparent brigands and bandits searching for Conrad, Elise, Erika and Sister Thekla are joined by Rosamunde, Karl and Dietmar—while Harold and Gottfried had been bid ahead to scout the way further on, away from the encroaching battle.

In the early hours of morning as ruddy sunlight gradually filtered through the leafy canopies and foliage of the forest, an ochre hue washed over the Reikwald’s darkened undergrowth—leaves and grass dewy and gleaming. Patiently, perilously, the group laid in wait, eyes and ears peeled and weapons—such as they were—at hand and at the ready. Wolfgang, Manfred and Rennig had fanned out along the northern flank, with Hans, Siegward and Volkhard along the south, having secured Conrad between them; a clear vantage was had across the clearing itself as much as could be hoped.

After waiting for what felt like an eternity, Friedrich was the first to detect their passing: four men and a woman navigating the foliage quietly, tongues held as they trudged through the pull of the wet forest floor. Not six paces from Friedrich’s hiding place does the procession pass and he can spy that the figures wore leathers and carried knives and longer blades—with one of the men carrying a bow and quiver across his back as he trudged along.

At the clearing, the others, in turn, hear the approach before they see the rustle and displacement of foliage as the first of the men enters the clearing: a stout man with a bushy, unkempt beard of thick blonde hair and an ugly scar across his nose wearing a studded skullcap and a blade at his hip, with a bow and quiver draped across his back. Behind him is a younger man lean of build with a colorful tabard seemingly taken from some servitor of a noble house or another, gangly of build with oily hair and a round wooden shield strapped to one arm.

Third to emerge was a heavyset man with thick mutton chops and a cowl of chain rested over his head toting a flail draped over his shoulder; this man turns to offer a complaint to the fourth figure about the wet terrain: a young woman with a deep scar from her chin to her cheekbone on the left side of her face, her dark hair secured in a messy bun with a bandana and a brace of blades hung about her leathers. Last to pass Friedrich in the rear was a young man who couldn’t have been more than seventeen carrying a now-extinguished torch in his hand with a blade sheathed at his hip.

Coiled and ready to strike, Friedrich slowly rouses in his low crouch from concealment at the rear of the lot, adrenaline starting to bristle through his system and chase fatigue from the man’s limbs. Blade held tightly, the smuggler positioned himself at the ready to strike—while the rest of the gathered escort gripped weapons in anticipation.

It was then that all attention was drawn to an abrupt rush and rustle of activity from the north as a shouting voice carries on the morning breeze. The five halt in their tracks, turning their attention northward before a sixth fellow bursts from the foliage wide-eyed and red-faced as he runs. Whirring and hurtling through the air, an axe buries squarely in the man’s back and sends him careening headlong into the tall grass and mud below—while a moment later, what sounds like Rennig’s voice cuts through the air in a curdling cry.

Chaos erupts in an instant as all present glimpse the sudden emergence of grotesque figures make themselves known—tall, broad creatures with thick, shaggy fur and the bestial snouts and horns of goats wading through the foliage while shorter, scrawnier brethren with unnerving human-like faces scurry ahead upon hooves, clutching spears in mutant hands while a terrible bellowing bray resonates loudly from the gloom like an otherworldly war horn.



We’re writing Harold and Gottfried away from the scene due to complications preventing John Dyne and Izzy from participating presently. For everyone else, an ambush was staged, with Friedrich leading the way to get into position to compromise the pursuing bandits.

Then, a third factor arrived. Presently unknown number of beastmen have entered the scene—but you can spy at least four ungors and two gors. Rennig, Manfred and Wolfgang are out of sight, further to the north, which is where the beast men are coming from. Of the two groups, the bandits were surprised by both you and their attention is currently on the beastmen. It’s your call if you choose to engage or try to flee—and what, if anything, you elect to do regarding the bandits and yourselves.

In either event... we go to initiative!

Initiative:
Siegward 49
Conrad 44
Volkhard 36
Erika 35
Friedrich 34
Elise 34
Bandits 33 - Surprised
Karl 32
Beastmen 30 - Contested
Dietmar 30 - Contested
Rosamunde 30 - Contested
Ensemble 28
Sister Thekla 26


Siegward, Conrad and Volkhard have already acted and are currently not in sight.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at Dec 3, 2018 around 22:02

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Erika Laut, Busker

The sheer adrenaline coursing through Erika as chaos — quite literally — shatters the silence that had fallen across the forest leads to her hopping out of hiding sooner than anyone, much less her, had expected. Some primal fear, the terror of tales told over firelight, propels her away from the beastmen in a headlong dash, even as she heads straight into the mass of bandits they'd spent the night running from. She finds herself tugging the axe free from the unfortunate corpse, not even breaking stride as it comes up and then back down in a vicious overhand chop towards a bandit. She thinks she sees a bow, but it's hard to tell in the chaos and yelling. Is that her? It might well be.

Grabbing the axe, charging, and attempting to wallop the archer if possible. Whichever bandit if not.

quote:

SidekickBOTToday at 6:52 PM
@Tricky: 1d100 Charging with an axe! (37+20 surprise+20 advantage) = (93) = 93

-2 SL, so a net of 5 damage to the right arm. +1 advantage after the roll for wounding an opponent without an opposed roll.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."



Elise Gottfield

"Beastmen?!" grunts Elise under her breath. "This anythin' of yours, ya feckless wee shitehawk?"

She grabbed the prisoner's chains harder and pulled him in closer. He wasn't going anywhere...

Sion fucked around with this message at Dec 14, 2018 around 21:07

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Honest Freddy
Wounds: 11/11 --- Fortune: 1/4 --- Resolve: 2/2 --- Coin: 2S 31B

As the Ungors bound forward with their strange, animalistic gait, Friedrich makes a split decision. He charges out of his shadowed position, past the stunned bandits and lunges with his dagger, aiming right for the beastial thing's heart.

"Erika! Goatheads die first!"

I will pivot my stealth to get the drop on one of the Ungors and CHARGE!

@professorcurly: 1d100 (WS37 + 10 (stealth) + 10 (charge) + 10 (surprised) + 20 (attacking surprised enemy: Ungor) = (6) = 6

87 - 6 = 81 = 8 degrees of success, hit to the BODY
The Ungor takes 2 (dagger) + 3 (strength) + 8 (DoS) damage to the Body!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer


Young Orc


Karl
Wounds: 12/12 --- Fortune: 4/4 --- Resolve: 2/2 --- Advantage 4

When the beastmen roar their way out of the trees, Karl had just begun his charge towards the bandits. He slowed for a moment, then resumed his attack, for two main reasons. Firstly, he had already committed, and he might as well finish it. Secondly, Karl really didn't want to fight a beastman and this would put that off for as long as possible. The surprised man had little time to react, and Karl's chair leg bounced off his skull.

Charging the shield bandit
1d100 (WS42 + 10 (charge) + 10 (surprised) + 20 (attacking surprised enemy: Bandit), using Strike to Stun to target the head = (78) = 78
It actually should be Melee (Basic) 57, so 97-78=19 so 1 degree of success
SB+1 so 5 damage
Pummel means an opposed Strength/Endurance check, which I got a 3 on, but doesn't matter because they can't make opposed checks while surprised so my target gains a level of Stunned
Gain one level of 1 advantage from surprise, 1 from charging, 1 from successful opposed test (attack), one from success opposed test (strike to stun), meaning I have 4 levels of advantage

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012




Dietmar Riehl
Wounds: 12/12 --- Fortune: 3/2 --- Resolve: 4/4 --- Advantage: 3

There were monsters in the world. Some wore the skin of men, hiding among the people like bandits, and Dietmar hated them for making a lie of Sigmars holy form. Some were true monsters, gross in appearance and making no effort to appear otherwise, and Dietmar hated them for making men fear. But worst were the mutants, those creatures who mixed the holy human form with the monstrous, making a mockery of all that was good.

At the sight of the beastmen, warped humanoid forms with animal heads, Dietmar leapt into the clearing with a howl, his flail already lashing out to bash one of the bandits out of his way so that he could come to grips with the living nightmares that had suddenly barged into the ambush.

Attacking mutton chops w/ flail bandit
FireSightToday at 8:35 AM
/roll 1d100 #(WS30 + 10 (charge) + 10 (surprised) + 20 (attacking surprised enemy: Bandit)
SidekickBOTToday at 8:35 AM
@FireSight: 1d100 (WS30 + 10 (charge) + 10 (surprised) + 20 (attacking surprised enemy: Bandit) = (51) = 51
FireSightToday at 8:36 AM
Thats a hit
FireSightToday at 8:40 AM
oh poo poo, I forgot to add my Melee (Flail) skill
so I have a +10 for that
FireSightToday at 8:40 AM
so I have 2 DoS
5 + 2 + 3 + 1 (berserk charge)
11 damage, woo

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rosamunde Echstein
Wounds 11/11 --Armor 1 (Head, Arms, Body) -- Fortune 3/3 -- Resolve 3/3 -- Advantage 3

Beastmen! She knew it! She'd only seen one once, and it had been dead at the time. An Ungor, half-rotten and staked upside-down to a tree on the edge of the estate Father cared for. He said that his men made examples of the rare beastmen that wandered into the noble's forests, and that it seemed to work. Small and pathetic as that thing had been, she wondered if such a display really impressed the beastmen, or if they simply didn't have a reason to invade in force.

She snaps back to awareness and curses under her breath as she realizes her introspection has just cost her the initiative. Better to get the bandits out of the way now so they'd have room to decide whether to fight or run from the beastmen. She charges across open ground, nearly slipping on the damp forest floor, but still manages to stab one of the bandits in the arm and assume a more stable dueling position.

Gain 2 advantage from Charging a Surprised enemy, namely one of the bandits that hasn't been hit yet.

SidekickBOTToday at 6:52 PM
@Dachshundofdoom: 1d100 vs 83 (WS 33 +10 Skill +20 Advantage +20 Surprised Target) = 82, SL 0 so 7 damage total before Toughness/Armor.

+1 Advantage for winning an opposed test.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Reikwald Wilderness

With beastmen encroaching from her northern flank, Erika cuts east across the copse away from the hideous creatures to sprint in a line through the dewy grass, seizing free the axe from the still-warm body of the bandit laying underfoot. Swinging in a sweeping arc, the busker brings the axe against the arm of the bandit bowman by surprise—but the blow of its wedged head barely bites, blunted by the man’s leather jack from the glancing hit. Hastening to draw his blade, the bowman blurts “Bloody fool!” hoarsely before swinging at Erika in an off-balance sweep.

As the bowman whips around to look to Erika in surprise, Friedrich bursts from his hidden cover to bolt past the bandits and lunge his short blade against the nearest squat, ugly ungor--feeling the dagger dig deep into the thing’s chest as it looses a terrible guttural squeal, eyes bulging as it gazes balefully at the man. Hot blood blossoms out over the smuggler’s hand and forearm, signaling the puncture’s significant purchase—while the ire of the still-living bestial terror pours over him.

With a terrible howl, the ungor lashes out a blow that would have cracked and broken Friedrich’s jaw before fate intervenes and the smuggler reflexively brings his dagger out through the pain, mauling the beast man’s left knee; the wretched creature goes down among the mud and wet grasses with that, gurgling in pain.

“Keep hold of him.” Siegward snaps to Elise as he hastens northward to vanish into the foliage towards where Wolfgang, Manfred and Rennig had been engaged. Conrad glances from Volkhard to Elise before gesturing a nod towards his empty hands, inclining his head then towards the beast-folk with a muffled, emphatic insistence.

Meanwhile, Karl follows through after momentary hesitation, forging across the copse to engage with the gangly young man in the colorful tabard, head swiveling to gape at the rat catcher before his bell is rung by the man’s bludgeon, staggering two steps as he reels and dazedly tries to ready himself.

Hooves thudding with a terrible momentum, one of the gors charges free from the foliage with a bellowing bleat, head ducking as he catches the young bandit square in the chest with his horns—the impact throwing the stunned man’s arms as wide as his eyes a moment before the enormous bearded axe of the beastmen cleaves his right arm off in a single catastrophic arc, tearing a ragged ruin in young fellow as that colorful tabard darkens with gore, body collapsing into a heap at the horror’s hooves.

Dietmar’s deft swing cracks against the mutton-chopped bandit’s leg, drawing a grunt of pain from the big man before he foists his flail in retaliation, swinging in an able arc at his zealous foe; the flail’s head tears open Dietmar’s thigh in a painful wound. From the north, one of the ungors charges wildly at the same fellow, sweeping a blow against the bandit’s left leg and drawing further blood in the process.

Two more ungors leap into the fray against Karl and Erika in turn, frothing with wicked enthusiasm as the grotesqueries charge and lash away in pursuit of purchase against the pair.

Rushing the field, Rosamunde weaves her way past the other engaged bandits and beastmen to instead hone in on the apparent leader of the band—the duelist thrusts to stab at the woman, her eyes flashing with surprise. Drawing steel against Rosamunde, the bandit lashes back at her blade nearly tearing painfully through the muscle of Rosamunde’s fencing arm before fate intervenes—and she’s maneuvered away before the youngest of the bandits shouts and joins her in fending off the fencer, pairing off with the leader.

Barreling across the field, the second Gor charges at Dietmar, ducking his head as he attempts to gore the zealot—but Sigmar is watching this day as the man avoids the horn and when that great bearded axe comes swinging, the great beast stumbles and misses the man, burying the big weapon against the muddy terrain and fouling his grip.

Hoo boy, a combat with > 20 participants is a lot of bookkeeping, go figure.

Erika dealt 5 damage, but it was reduced to 1 by 4 toughness bonus + 1 armor from the bowman’s leather jack (minimum one damage on a blow.) Bowman tried to retaliate, but Erika came out on top in the opposed roll, so no hit was landed.

Friedrich dealt 13 damage reduced to 9 from the ungor’s toughness bonus + 1 armor from having a tough hide, which it decidedly did not enjoy. The ungor retaliated against Friedrich in response, critting him and breaking his jaw and saddling him with:

2 Stunned Conditions. Friedrich suffers a Broken Bone (Minor) injury. Friedrich’s defense roll -also- crit, loving up the ungor’s leg and dealing 2 more wounds, which puts the ungor prone.

Friedrich used a Fate point to avoid that altogether.

Karl clobbered the young shield bandit, stunning him and leaving him wide open for one of the Gors to charge, liking what Karl started off. Gor gets a free horns attack on a charge and swung a big ole’ bearded axe at the man. The shield bandit made opposed rolls against the gor but was utterly obliterated, 17 damage after toughness / armor between the two hits.

Dietmar’s blow to the leg dealt 11 damage reduced to 6 from 4 toughness bonus +1 armor from mutton chops’ leather leggings. Mutton chops swung his flail back and though Dietmar won on the battle of success levels, MC critically hit a torn thigh result, dealing 3 wounds ignoring toughness and armor; additionally, Dietmar was saddled with:

Torn thigh: Gain 3 Bleeding Conditions as the weapon opens up your upper thigh. Pass a Challenging (+0) Endurance Test or gain the Prone Condition. Until you receive Surgery to stitch up the wound, each time you receive Damage to this Leg, also receive 1 Bleeding Condition.

A charging ungor also swiped at mutton chops’ legs, dealt 3 more wounds after reductions. 9 wounds total dealt to MC. Two ungors charged Karl and Erika, both of whom managed to win their opposed rolls and come away unscathed.

Rosamunde attacked the bandit leader (I presumed so over the teen bandit initially, as she hadn’t been attacked yet and was the closer of the two and Rosamunde is a duelist wanting to show off;) Rosamunde dealt two wounds to her. Bandit leader retaliated against Rosamunde critically hitting her right (primary) arm, and then the teen bandit also joined the fray against Rosamunde afterwards.

Rosamunde would have received 3 wounds ignoring toughness and armor, dropped her weapon immediately and suffered the Torn Muscle (Major) injury to her right arm. A fate point was spent to negate the inciting attack.

Remaining Gor charged Dietmar, who used Resolve to get out of negative conditions for free, and missed the charge; the Gor them critically fumbled with a whopping 99 on his axe, loving it up and leaving Dietmar in the clear. Sigmar protects.

This was a lot of big surprises and lengthy learning experiences for everyone. I am floating a one-time ‘oh cripes’ temporary Fate point for this engagement to help folks with the ramp up into poo poo-getting-real; you can use it or lose it this engagement, but it is not a permanent award.

Anyone who manages to make it through the engagement without spending the temp Fate point can have 50 bonus XP though. In the meantime, everyone gets an advance of 125 XP as well as we’re cruising into Holidays and taking longer than I would’ve liked to get all this rolling.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012




Dietmar Riehl
Wounds: 9/12 --- Fortune: 4/3 --- Resolve: 0/4 --- Advantage: 3

Dietmar stumbles away from the Gor for a moment, his leg nearly giving out on him, but righteous wrath sings in his veins and sustains him. A scream, part of pain and part of sheer hatred wrenches its way from his lungs as he dances forward again to swing against the Gor, the bandit already forgotten.

FireSightToday at 12:27 PM
/r 1d100 #vs WS30 + 15 skill + 30 advantage = target 75
SidekickBOTToday at 12:27 PM
@FireSight: 1d100 vs WS30 + 15 skill + 30 advantage = target 75 = (31) = 31
4 DoS for 5 (weapon)+ 4 (DoS) + 3 (SB) = 12 damage

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018



Sister Thekla

Thekla has lagged behind the others - she has never moved that quickly, all things considered. She is a deliberate, focused woman. As the battle begins, so does her prayer. Her voice rises above the din of battle, and a terrible fervor flows with it.

"Rise, wolves! Sing praises to your king! Father Ulric, whose biting axe is the winter's own teeth, watches us this day! Watch, Frozen Lord, for we are wolves! In blood we are born, in winter forged! Sing, wolves! Sing praises of the Winter King! Our fangs are his mighty axe, our cries a paean to his glory! Our lives are a light in the cold and dark, and we fear not, for the ice is our father and battle our bride! Go, wolves, slay the foes of the King of Gods!"

She raises her axe to the sky, as Ulric's blessing settles over the field. There is no light of divine miracle, no obvious change - but skill and power flow into some of the party.

"ULRIC LIVES!"

Thekla, Karl and Rosamunde each get +10 WS for 6 Rounds, I assume ticking down on my action.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at Dec 14, 2018 around 20:44

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."



Elise Gottfield

Elise sucked in through gritted teeth, spittle creating a rasping, sucking sound as she went. "Fucksake-" she said, wincing at the sight of Dietmar's leg get torn up. Friedrich's jaw gets cracked and, while she can't hear the sound of bone she can imagine that getting clocked like that's going to leave a mark. She took a step forwards, looking at Conrad and then at the melee. She peered at him.

"I'm not givin' your my knife, so you can put that out of your head right now an' all. 'S far as I know, you'll shiv me an' make legs towards t' trees," she muttered. "Cannae blame me for thinkin' that, given everything I've been told on you, can 'e?"

She glanced around briefly. "Tell you what though. You wanna go down that hill, have me point a knife at your neck an' be all 'fight the beastmen or Conrad 'ere's getting a claret cravat'? I wouldnae, obviously. Need you livin' an' in one piece so as to get the giro pay for all this shite so far, but they don't know that," she said, reaffirming her plan to playact. "Sound like a plan? Blink once for aye, twice for naw, thrice for are you fuckin' touched, lass?"

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply