Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Elise Gottfield

"Ooh, poetical-likes," says Elise, leaning back. She looked around and realised that Thekla was already standing and Rosamund had already turned her blade over to the cause. She sighed inwardly and grabbed her hat off the floor beside herself and muttered something about how they were all going to get themselves killed without her wise input. She stood up from the table. Didn't put her hat on indoors though; bad luck, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Honest Freddy
Wounds: 11/11 --- Fortune: 3/4 --- Resolve: 2/2 --- Coin: 2S 31B

GaistHeidegger posted:

Shadows over the Reikland - Geiselbrück
“Tell me of this path of yours.”

Freddy leans in whispering low, the rain and thunder helping mask his words in case there are prying eyes. He decides that this could be his big break, an actual honest-to-god deed worthy of a noble's attention. And just a little bit of noble attention could translate to a great lot of gold, and from there who knows. He decides to take a risk with this old guardsman, "First, it's not off the river road. It's an old game trail I've used before - if you want the full story you can have it once we're in the wilds, but suffice it to say that though I've not always been on the right side of the law I'm no highwayman. The wolf's men won't expect a couple of upstanding soldiers like yersselves or some conscripted yokels to go that way, and we might be able to get ahead of them. Runs the risk that they are using the same path of course, but better we bumble into each other in the rain and dark than they jump us on the road."


Just a charm roll to set the tone of this I suppose:
@professorcurly: 1d100 Charm (TN 45) = (48) = 48
Barely a failure, so hopefully enough that my honesty/forthrightness are enough to get him to go along with this idea but he probably doesn't fully trust me yet?

professor_curly fucked around with this message at Oct 16, 2018 around 04:01

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rosamunde Echstein

Her coat was still damp, yet here she was about to go back out into this awful weather again, and all for an uncertain reward. Still, even if they had to split the pot, surely the head of a notorious bandit would be worth a good amount of silver. And Siegward wouldn't be the type to screw them over, right?

She listens to Friedrich's suggestion with mixed feelings. "I don't mind the thought of sidestepping an ambush, but I will say that walking a game trail in this weather will be even more miserable than the road. If we take it, I hope it's not flooded out."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Geiselbrück

Siegward fixes Friedrich with a stern look, the man’s scarred face twisting to a mask of thinly-veiled discomfort—but ultimately, he nods once to the man before casting a sweeping look about the other gathered faces. “Very well. We depart by way of this game trail with haste; once we’ve put good distance from Geiselbrück behind us, we can see to our chartered course.”

Rounding on the group then, Siegward straightens and speaks further. “You two, your names?” He addresses the militiamen resting their respective spears. “Hans.” Replies the first man. “Manfred.” Mutters the second. Siegward nods. “You shall both assist Volkhard with transport of the prisoner. The two of you will take the van, along with our ‘guide.’” He gestures to Harry and Wolfgang to serve as the vanguard. “And you, Herr Schafer—I will trust to guard our rear, if you would be so kind.”

“Are we just going to go running off into the rain before the morrow?” Rennig speaks up then, scratching at the side of his jaw. Siegward nods again. “If we linger here, we’re like as not to have his men upon the good and decent folk of this village by nightfall and may do so in number.” Gathered and marshaled, the not insubstantial ensemble escort departs from the dreary village of Geiselbrück—a bid in misdirection following the road more travelled; once the procession has put some distance behind them, Siegward opts to follow Fredriech’s offered route—for better or worse.

~

Shadows over the Reikland - Reikwald Game Trail

Though not unexpected, the game trail weathers no fairer for the elements—and the afternoon thunderstorm seems apt to continue well on into the rest of the evening. Winding down the trail less traveled, the way is a measure more inhospitable than the Reikland’s more regularly traversed routes—but the added potential for avoiding unwanted attention is a not insubstantial boon.

Nevertheless, cold rain patters about weary forms treading the mud and muck; the trail routinely dips along higher embankments of foliage, vegetation and occasional exposed tree roots—and the Reikwald looms darkly beyond more than a dozen paces at best. Siegward’s temperament does not brighten underway—and the scarred man seems to ceaselessly cast wary glances whence the procession came.



We are now traveling! Despite how dark and rainy it is, you’ve still got several hours before nightfall to endeavor to put some distance ahead of Conrad’s apparent companions. Off the beaten path for Freddy’s more secretive trail, you have the hopeful advantage of the unexpected and less traveled route—though at the expense of nonexistent patrols to clear the way. You have now been on the move for about two and a half hours.

Additionally, everyone receives 100 XP, along with an additional 20 XP awarded to Elise, Rosamunde, Freddy, Erika and Sister Thekla.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006



Karl

"You know, I hadn't considered how similar ratcatching and bandit escorting were before now," Karl says brightly as he squishes along in the mud, Lefty trailing behind him. "Walking ankle deep through muck in the dark is the same in both cases. Course, the smell is different, and I do have to say this definitely has ratcatching beat. And, of course, I'm less likely to die here, so as far as a change of pace goes I reckon it's alright."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Sister Thekla

Grabbing Bless and some stats. Does that axe I asked for count as a hand weapon?

Sister Thekla moves with the confidence of someone who has no worries about wolf or bear attacks. Beasts have always left her alone, after all. "Are rats really that dangerous, then?" She has put her hood up to protect her hair from the rain and muck, but seems largely unconcerned with the mud coating the base of her robe.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006



Karl

"Oh, rats are dangerous for sure, a hungry one'll eat anything, not to mention even if they don't get you right off you can still get sick and die from 'em. But what I meant more was that rats are going to be what kills me, so I'm more safe here than in the sewers. Not that there ain't rats around here, of course, but it seems less likely," Karl says, gesturing to the surrounding area. "My doomings rats, you see, just like my parent's. That's why they got into ratcatching in the first place, they figured getting good at killin' rats would be the way to go. Didn't work for Dad, of course, but Mum's still going strong and 1 out of 2 ain't bad," his voice turns completative for a moment. "Course, I guess that don't help the rest of you none."

Bought Night Vision and +3 Willpower

Piell fucked around with this message at Oct 18, 2018 around 21:41

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Sister Thekla

"Ah. That makes sense." Thekla nods. "Of course, the truth of it is simple - you shouldn't be afraid of your death when it comes anyway. Meet it with glory, and your name will burn long after you go. It is the fear that makes it so terrible, after all. Not that you should throw your life away, either, of course. It's like - well, like Lefty there." Thekla leans down to pat the dog's head. "He's not afraid of what's going to come, is he? No he's not. He's gonna fight his hardest, aren't you, little guy? Yes you are, yes you are..."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Erika Laut, Busker

The relentless gloom might well wear on some of their band, but Erika does her utmost to maintain good cheer. The trail is certainly less hospitable than the tavern, and certainly less warm, but the idea of remaining behind while a horde of bandits may well rob the village on the way through to liberate their leader is no real draw. She simply needs to remind herself the potential benefits. An in with the nobility! While she has no real desire to make a living performing for them, it'd be no small boon when she makes a move to claim her true inheritance. After she gets that ring back, anyways.

Butting into the conversation between the Ulrican and the rat catcher, Erika adds, "I'm in no rush to die, myself. Though, admittedly, my doom's not likely to come in a downpour like this, what with being lit by Morrslieb and all. Where are the pair of you headed after we deliver this one where he's going?"

Picking up Mimic and another point of Agility.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rosamunde Echstein

Rosamunde ducks a stray branch and mentally curses herself as a fool for the fourth time in the past hour. At this rate they were going to be caught out in the woods after sunset in the middle of this never-ending storm, and this was certainly not like the forest of her childhood. The way the trees crowded overhead and cast shadows was the same, yes, but this place was... more hostile. The biggest thing she'd ever seen in those woods was a young bear, snuffling in the underbrush at a great distance. This place looked like beastmen might be behind the next tree. Or at least, that's how it seemed to her inexperienced eyes.

Just keep your mind on the money, she reminded herself. And she might as well join the conversation to keep her mind off this wretched forest. "I wouldn't worry about your dooming. Nothing against the followers of Morr, but I think they're wrong as often as they're right. They said my mother would 'Meet her end in the blackest of night', but she collapsed at high noon in the middle of a marketplace. I suppose divine visions are... hard to interpret."

Picking up Beat Blade with the XP.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Honest Freddy

Freddy leads the group along the path, the rain making this slow going but ultimately it seems like they are making good time. Small landmarks that let him know they are moving the correct way. It was slow going, but probably equivalent to taking the long road... if less comfortable. He'd had to tie his boots with leather belts to hold them on in the mud at certain points, but it was worth it so far.

"So far so good. Keep a weather eye out still though - might run into some of his friends on this path still. Hopefully the dog will notice them before they notice us."

Getting +1 Agility, +3 Dexterity, +1 Row and +1 Sailing with the experience

professor_curly fucked around with this message at Oct 19, 2018 around 05:17

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Elise Gottfield

Elise had chosen to walk as near to Siegward as she could. He was a big bloke with a weapon and the mean looking expression. She wasn't going to make any friends here but a little bit of information gathering never hurt. Plus, she wanted to know what this Conrad Gessler chap had done to wind him up in such a dire situation as this. She tugged up her hood and pulled her flask out of an inside pocket and held it out to Siegward.

"So, what exactly's this bloke done, then? I'm guessing he's naught for seeing a sunrise next week if he gets to Eisenstadt. Is it more of a sentencing than a trial?"

Always with the questions. She swung her lantern as she walked. Wasn't lit or anything at the moment, but she was carrying that. She probably should have asked for a cudgel or something before leaving...

Spending 5 advances on stats.

WP from 40 -> 41
Int from 29 - 33

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the Void


Gottfried

The young witch hunter brought up the rear of their little procession, his hand resting on his sword and his eyes and ears alert. He was surefooted even through the mud and the underbrush, and while his cloak did little to protect him from the rain, he bore the discomfort without complaint. It was hardly the worst weather he'd been forced to travel through. "Aye, the Dooming was never meant to make us fear death," he remarked, still carefully watching the trail as he spoke. "It reminds us to make the most of our time alive. And no matter our fate, we will not be alone when we die. Morr will welcome us all." He smiled at the others. "That you don't hide from it is a sign of a strong soul."

He nods to Freddy in agreement. "We're lucky to have a ratcatcher with us," he says, turning his smile on Karl. "A dog is a better scout than any man, and I've never met any dog braver than a ratter. Still, best that everyone stay on their toes, eh?"

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Reikwald Game Trail

As the procession rounds a low, loping bend Siegward signals a halt before pausing to take a look about; faint patters of cold drizzle still filter through from the canopy overhead, though much seems to have subsided for the moment. Looking to Wolfgang, Siegward considers for a moment before calling out “We’ll seek out a campsite to weather the evening. See to a suitable site.” The big woodsman nods before trudging off the path, into the nearby wilderness.

Looking to Elise, Siegward curls his lip. “As I said in Geiselbrück—he is a bandit, highwayman and outlaw; he has organized and orchestrated all manner of robberies, extortions and violence among the good folk of Grauwerk.” Bound, Conrad leans to take a seat against a wet, mossy stone—rolling his eyes as Siegward speaks and offering a muffled retort through his gag. Siegward sneers at him. “He’s a prolific liar, thief and scoundrel; no doubt the Graf intends to make an example of him upon receipt.”

Volkhard takes a long pull from a waterskin, looking haggard and tired; Conrad casts a pining look to the refreshment before glancing about the gathered faces, offering a wondering look. Nearby, the militiaman Hans tucks his spear against the crook of his arm before fishing free a portion of bread from his satchel to chew on.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012




Dietmar Riehl

"Sir, I can help him find a good campsite, I'm used to sleeping outside in poor weather with little gear" Dietmar gestures to his emaciated and rag covered frame with a ironic look on his face. "Not every town welcomes my message."

Unless Siegward objects, Dietmar will check the side of the path that Wolfgang didn't take, and look for a campsite that has some cover from the rain and isn't completely mud covered. Rolled a 27 in discord with an Outdoor Survival of 5 and an Int of 25, which is a success if this is a straight +0 roll

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Honest Freddy

"I'll go with you. Shouldn't send anyone off alone in these woods."

Freddy stands up and moves to accompany Dietmar, holding his storm lantern low and nearly closed to prevent shining off light into the distance. His other hand rests on his dagger hoping they didn't stumble into a den of wolves or worse.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Elise Gottfield

"Aye, and I heard you," said Elise. "I've got a good memory, like. LIke a trap. I'm a student, been to school an' all," she said confidently. "Trouble is, you didn't answer the question what I asked you. I asked for some examples of what 'e's done and you more or less shrugged and said 'he's a bit of a bad egg, really' without giving much in the way of specifics."

She took a drink from her flask. She'd offered, and it was rejected. Their loss.

"Did he admit to it all? He's had a go before the magistrates, same way as Verena demands, aye?"

She could tell she was like to get some 'funny' looks.

"Look, if we're to aid a man in walking to the gallows if he's lucky, or lining him up to have different parts dispatched to five corners of the world as a warning, I want to know that he's a real piece of poo poo."

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the Void


Gottfried

"Huh?" Indeed, one of the "funny" looks came from Gottfried, a look of genuine confusion. "I don't think Herr Siegward would be marching this man through storm and mud for his health, miss," he pointed out. "And such an entourage! Surely an innocent or a mere petty criminal would have no need for such measures?" He gave a shrug. "I am here to protect this man's escort from harm, not to judge his crimes. If you wish to advocate for him, you may want to wait until we've reached our destination."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."


Elise Gottfield

"Oh, an' I'm not saying that innocence has much of a relationship with this 'ne," said Elise. "But surely if he was a murderous sort, frontier justice would handle it. I'm just tryin' to get a better handle on what's the whatness with him," she continued.

She fell quiet, though. Bloody students.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Reikwald Game Trail

Siegward nods to Dietmar’s request, watching he and Fredriech heading off into the muddy woods before returning his attention to Elise. “It is by order of the Graf that he be brought to face justice before him—alive in arrival, if at all possible. He has vexed the Grauwerk for more than a year, now.” Siegward insists crisply. “His very apprehension was hard won—and I intend to see to it that blood was not paid in vain.” To this, Volkhard seems to favor his bandages almost absently, looking altogether subject to lingering pains. Conrad continues eyeing those who rest nearby with an imploring look towards Volkhard's waterskin.

Trudging off into the Reikwald, Dietmar leads the way navigating around thicker foliage before discerning a narrow and winding side path—seemingly favored by fauna. Some distance from the game trail, he and Friedrich come upon an overhang of earth from the hilly rise before the terrain slopes further down to the sound of a trickling creek; in the space is the entrance to a low cave with exposed roots dangling over most of its mouth—while overhead, the thicker canopy of a pair of trees seems to provide a break from most of the rain.

Friedrich glimpses partial prints in the mud in the vicinity, but it's difficulty to discern their source.

Marginal failure on Perception test for Friedrich; Dietmar is also invited to make an attempt. Wolfgang has not returned from his scouting yet.
Conrad looks thirsty.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Erika Laut, Busker

Despite her best efforts, Erika can't just leave a man to march to his death thirsty. He probably deserves everything he's getting and more, but... well, she'd want to give Freddy or Harry a drink if they were the ones in Conrad's place. And, hell, if things somehow go all topsy-turvy, no harm in having a little goodwill with the bandit leader, right? She walks on over and says to Siegward, "Far be it for me to question your judgment, your lordship, but maybe our man might do with a bit of water to wet his throat? We'll probably make better time if he's not dry as a bone."

Will edit in a Charm or whatever if needed.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Honest Freddy

"...There's a cave here. But something... or someone is already using it. I can see the tracks here around the entrance. Rain's spoiling it though... Could be a man, could be wolves... could be a bear for all I can see here. Let's go back to the others, let them choose."

Freddy begins to back away from the cave, not shining his light directly into it with a dagger drawn.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Sister Thekla

"You'd be a fool to remove his gag in these woods. Or do you think a man in his position would not begin shouting for his allies?"

Thekla shakes her head.

"If you take off his gag, do it with a knife against his throat - because otherwise you risk a fight when we are not at full strength. It is one thing to be brave and another to be foolish."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rosamunde Echstein

"We'd be terribly unlucky if we were actually close enough for his 'friends' to hear him. We haven't taken the expected path, after all, so unless they've somehow seen through us I don't expect they're anywhere near. That being said..."

Rosamunde crouches and looks the man in the eye, trying her level best to look intimidating. "If you do try anything, I'll be sorely tempted to put a sword in your eye. I'm being paid for delivering you alive, but no one said in one piece, understand? Now let's give the man some water. If he dehydrates he'll cramp up on the march and slow us down."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006



Karl

"It ain't like the rest of us are silent, anyhow. Too big of a group to keep real quiet," Karl chimes in as he squats down to pet Lefty.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Reikwald Game Trail

Volkhard glances from Rosamunde to Sister Thekla, the man nodding. With clear reluctance, Siegward ultimately capitulates. “Give him water then—but as she said, you shall be harshly paid if you try alert your brethren.” Conrad gives the scarred man a look before sitting up as Erika steps in, clearing his throat once the gag is slipped aside. “Thank you, madam. Far kinder than this one’s cruelties.” He casts a look towards Siegward, grinning. “Was it worth it?” Conrad chimes, leaning then as he accepts water from Erika in some earnest. Siegward glowers. “It will be.”

~

No beast nor specter emerges from the darkened cave as Friedrich draws away—and he and Dietmar are able to trek back along the divergent trail as the rain seems to have largely abated. Together, the pair arrive back at the procession in time to observe as Conrad finishes a generous portion of water with a gasp of relief. “If I may,” Conrad is swift to intone, glancing to Rosamunde and Sister Thekla in turn, “I advise against putting your lives in Herr Gansz’s hands—he’ll spend them cheaply.” Siegward sneers. “Volkhard, silence him again.” Conrad looks to Elise. “I’ve had no trial, since you wondered.” Volkhard returns the gag with a rough cinch. "Pay him no mind; he'll say anything to evade his dues." Siegward asserts to the others.

Wolfgang reappears at the crest of a foliage-packed rise beside the game trail, gesturing whence he came with the head of his axe. “Found a clearing—and a campsite, abandoned.” His brow knits, jaw set. “Recent, I wager—a few days at most.” Siegward scowls before looking to Friedrich and Dietmar. "And you?"

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at Oct 26, 2018 around 15:25

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012




Dietmar Riehl

"I found us a nice cave. Bit damp, might have something living in it, but it wasn't there when we found the place. Should be cozy enough for the night, even if the ground will be a bit hard to sleep on."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Honest Freddy

"We didn't check the cave itself. There were tracks outside - fresh enough to last the rain, not sure what they were though. Muddied up and worn away."

Freddy squats down, resting his storm lantern pointing at the others while he absently twirls his dagger.

"The wolf does raise a point though. How many men did you lose trying to capture him?"

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rosamunde Echstein

At the mention of unknown tracks and possibly-inhabited caves, Rosamunde immediately thinks of Beastmen and then immediately squashes the thought. She'd never seen a living one and Sigmar willing she never would. No sense in worrying about the boogeymen of the forest when there was a known threat looking for them.

"I'd be happy to get out of the rain, but a cave is... I don't like having my back to the wall. Especially when I'm not sure of what's between me and the wall. At the same time, we know someone's about, or at least they were, judging by that campsite. I guess it's the best option. I can take first watch if you'd like."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Erika Laut, Busker

Erika is operating under no illusions. Siegward has his game, Conrad a separate one, and nobody is so generous as to put the health of the hired guards above their own interests. Is it any surprise that she's attempting to cultivate favor with all involved? Fortunes can turn in a moment. She says, "I'll join you on the watch, miss. An extra pair of eyes surely won't go amiss."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006




Karl

"Ah, caves ain't so bad, and it'd be nice to get out of the rain. Lefty 'n' I can check it out and see what we can find, if y'all are worried."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Sister Thekla

"If it's the cave of a beast, it shouldn't be such a big deal - most are more than happy to leave you alone if you don't cause them trouble. ...usually. If it is the cave of a beastman or bandits, however...well, at least we're already prepared for trouble."

Thekla shrugs.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Reikwald Game Trail

Siegward forms a tight scowl as he looks to Friedrich. “Four.” He utters tersely before turning his attention whence the pair had come. “I favor the cave over the open campsite—but the latter concerns me just the same. Who else has taken this trail before us, recently?” A dubious look is cast to Friedrich at this, but the scarred man does not appear to expect an actual answer on the matter; gesturing back along the procession, Siegward nods along whence Dietmar and Friedrich had come. “Attempt care at not trampling our way.”

~



Shadows over the Reikland - Reikwald Cave

Arriving at the site Dietmer and Friedrich had reconnoitered, Wolfgang brings a torch guttering to life and takes to the fore of the group. With the aid of light and the bolster of numbers, the mouth of the cave is broached—proving to span roughly three yards of a height requiring most among the procession to stoop low. Beyond that, the ceiling of the cavern rises up to nearly twice its height, affording the ability to stand mostly comfortably. As well, the narrow mouth widens out into a broader chamber five yards wide and ten across with sporadic pillars of stone, stalagmites and stalactites—along with exposed roots jutting out of the ceiling in places.

Several broken stalagmites lie scattered across the floor to one side of the chamber, as well as loose stones and pebbles strewn roughly about. Water drips from a narrow fissure in the ceiling, setting dull ripples through a muddy depression in the floor beneath it. Muffled rumbles of thunder resonate through the cavern as the rain begins to pick up up again outside, sending sheets of precipitation washing down over the mouth of the cave, cascading over gnarled roots in a watery curtain.

Deep shadows flicker and waver around the periphery of the rocky chamber, the air cool against the still-wet procession gathered within their midst. Volkhard casts a wary look about, squinting, while Wolfgang spikes his torch into a rocky niche to free his hands. “Right homely, eh?” The burly woodsman chuckles.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012




Dietmar Riehl

"Much nicer than sleeping in a wet pile of leaves or under a few branches. Do we want to start a fire in here? I can probably find some wood that's only a little damp." Dietmar happily chimes in, a smile on his face. It's obvious that the young zealot feels far more at home in the rough and unpleasant camping conditions than he did had in the tavern. "And I can show people how to make the stone a little more bearable to sleep on, we just need to find a couple bushes that we can cut down, something tall enough that we can shake it to get most of the water off."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006




Karl

"Not bad, I'd say," Karl says as he and Lefty bring making a circuit of the cave, looking for cracks or small holes. No reason to get surprised by a rat or even a snake or something in the night, after all.

@Piell: 1d100 vs 33 Karl Perception = (84) = 84
@Piell: 1d100 vs 35 Lefty Perception = (51) = 51

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Honest Freddy

He returns the shifty looks with bored unconcern. He'd done his bit, the rest of it wasn't his problem and it didn't matter if the guardsman liked it. Still though, four armed guards dead didn't bode well for their gaggle.

"I don't fancy going back out in that rain. Seems a poor idea. I will have see if this cave keeps going."

Freddy shines his lantern around the cave, searching for other tunnels or openings that weren't readily apparent before they settle in too comfortably.

I'll look around the cave, make sure it isn't bigger than we think it is or has a tunnel leading off somewhere else.

@professorcurly: 1d100 vs 32 Perception = (63) = 63
Or at least I try.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Shadows over the Reikland - Reikwald Cave

Establishing a makeshift camp in the cavern, the escort beds down in the cool, gloomy surroundings. Following Friedrich and Karl’s search of the vicinity, no apparent unexpected avenues are discovered despite the dance of darker shadows under torch and lantern light. Volkhard and Siegward see to securing Conrad against a stony pillar before settling in with a vantage on the man while Wolfgang takes to a lean nearer to the cave’s entryway, resting his axe close at hand.

Nearer to the entrance, Rosamunde and Erika take to the watch rotation in tandem with Hans and Manfred respectively—the rain slackening as evening descends, leaving a quiet pattering trickle left over for much of the span to follow. With the ensemble largely shrouded in quiet ambiance deeper in the cave, in the hours that follow sleep comes to offer a modicum of restful reprieve from the day’s soggy march into the Riekwald.

~

Karl is the first roused to wakefulness deeper in the cave as the trusty Lefty tries to alert the man; with much of the cave yet darkened, it takes a few moments before the man catches on to just what the hound had grown anxious over—faintly discernible, through a ragged crevice in the cavern’s ceiling, are the sounds of voices and mud-squelched footfalls. Figures were passing by somewhere over the cave itself, though it’s difficult to make out quite what was being said.

Nearer to the entrance, Manfred yawns as he leans his cheek against his spear sleepily as fat dollops of rainwater drip and flow from the roots overhanging the cave mouth.

In the very early hours of the morning after staying overnight, Lefty caught wind of some faint sounds of passage on what is Rosamunde and Manfred’s watch; Rosamunde can potentially hear the figures from another vantage with a perception check on her end—it’s difficult to make out what’s transpiring from in the cave itself.

Karl is the first awake in the cave, Rosamunde is also awake on watch at the entrance—along with Manfred, veering on not so much. There’s no trouble alerting the others, though the cave is a lot darker right now as most of the lights have gone out. Fortunately, Karl has night vision.

Everyone gets 25 XP.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006




Karl

Karl wakes up to a low growl from Lefty in his ear. He reaches up and silences the dog, but makes no further movements while he looks and listens. A few moments later, he rolls to the side and nudges Thekla awake. Waking up to Karl's face a foot above your head probably isn't the best way to wake up, but fortunately she doesn't cause a disturbance. "Someone's walking up above, and it ain't none of us," he whispers to her, before rolling to his other side to repeat the process with the rest of the group.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Thekla

Thekla jolts awake, looking around. Darkness isn't great. "Gngh?" She squints, grabbing her axe and rising to her feet once Karl gets out of the way. She mutters a quick prayer to Ulric to guide her senses, looking about her. It's dark, and while she can't usually see that well in the dark, she's tensed up and has the backing of Ulric behind her senses. Hopefully.

7 on a Perception roll; 31 Perception before darkness penalties. Spending 25 XP to boost Agi a little more, working my way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Erika Laut, Busker

Erika bites back a yawn as she slowly rallies. Figures that things would go down when she should have been catching some well-deserved sleep. She pulls her cloak tight around her, dagger at the ready, and waits for a signal. She wasn't sure that they even knew they were down here, let alone who was at hand, so it didn't much make sense to rush things.

Spending 25xp on AGI.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply